Games

The Secrets We Keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun and Sana stopped by Dahyun’s room to drop off their school bags only to witness Mina and Chaeyoung being overly cuddly on the bed-- Dahyun’s bed.

 

The oldest of the maknae threw a pillow at them. “Hey! Get your gross asses off my bed. I sleep on that and I don’t want your obscenity contaminating my good pillow.”

 

Chae threw the pillow back at her, completely hitting her square in the face. “Chill. We can’t see the television from my bed.” Chaeyoung was snuggled between Mina’s embrace as they watched Coffee Prince, an older Korean drama.

 

As Chaeyoung’s bed was the top bunk, her and Mina often situated themselves on the bottom bunk to make it easier to move about, so Dahyun often times found it quite cumbersome to make certainty that the two didn’t mess up her sheets. Who knew what they did behind closed doors and frankly, Dahyun didn’t want to think about it.

 

The tofu only shuddered, rejecting the thought from her mind who only wanted, at that moment, to think about the fun her and Sana were going to have at the arcade. “Well, don’t do anything vomit-worthy. Sana and I are going to the arcade so I expect it to be just the way I’d left it.”

 

Chaeyoung sat up, “Wait, the arcade? Take us with you.”

 

“No,” Dahyun replied with no hesitation. She wanted to be alone with Sana, for reasons she didn’t want to admit at the time. And with the intimacy level these two radiated, she was sure of the unwanted attention they would grab from even the tiniest crowd of the arcade.

 

“Come on,” Chaeyoung begged. “If Mina and I stay here longer, we’re bound to binge all of Goblin.”

 

Dahyun looked at the younger one’s pouty face. Chaeng knew all too well how much Dahyun enjoyed the bond they shared over the show, therefore to prevent the spoil of their treasured commitment to finish Goblin together, Dahyun agreed for them to tag along. The little one immediately jumped up on the idea of a double date, though more as a joke as she was unaware of the chemistry between Sana and her roommate.

 

“Maybe you can finally beat me at something,” Mina little lion, who only stuck out her tongue in defiance.

 

Thus, the four of them made their way to the town’s underground arcade. It was a small but cozy place known only to a few. There was a bigger, more popular arcade closer to their dorms but the group liked to hang at this particular world of fun. There usually weren’t that many people during the weekdays as most of the customers were college students who had little time to mess around during school days. The place was fortunately discovered when Dahyun, Mina, and Jeongyeon took a wrong turn during their daytime stroll around town, and it immediately became a place of stress relief.

 

Contrary to how Mina seemed, she was actually quite proficient at gaming. She would spend most of her luxury time in front of her laptop beating whatever boss level monster her and her gaming buddies were dealing with, of course that’s if Chaeyoung was preoccupied with something else that prevented her from spending time with her girlfriend. So it wasn’t much of a revelation when Mina single handedly beat the three at a racing game.

 

Dahyun groaned, “That’s not fair. You spend so much time at these kinds of things. There’s no way we can ever beat you.” She gave the device a kick. “I bet you memorized all the knicks of the race.”

 

The usually quiet penguin, hands on her hips, puffed out her chest in boast of her victory. “You can pick the game this time then. Something you’re confident in.”

 

Dubu gave it a bit of thought and chose a round of basketball. But even in teams, with Sana-Dahyun pair and Mina-Chaeyoung pair, Mina’s score alone was enough to beat the other team. How she was able to beat them in a game of physicality was a mystery to the little tofu.

 

Sana giggled at the sight of the disappointed Dahyun. She gave her cheeks a light squeeze, “Poor tofu tofu Dahyun. You look so cute when you’re beaten.”

 

Dahyun rolled her eyes and threatened to bite Sana’s finger off, which only made the older one all the more. The two bickered at how their teamwork was lacking and thus was the result of their loss. On their third round of games, Dahyun would often take the time to teach Sana some pointers on how to play, showing her the ropes and tricks she learned from Jeongyeon herself. At one point they played whack-a-mole in which Dahyun took the liberty of guiding Sana’s hand for a faster reaction of hitting the moles. But all the while dubu spoke with such passion, Sana only stared at her without so much as the slightest attention to what she was saying. The different characters she discovered were much more interesting than the games itself, which was probably why Sana could never put a 100% on anything they played. And by their sixth round of games, Dahyun admitted defeat and announced that Mina was unbeatable.

 

Chaeyoung gave a laugh as she clung tightly to her Japanese lady. “My girlfriend’s the best, that’s why.”

 

“You didn’t even help,” Dahyun retorted. “You have the lowest scores out of all of us.”

 

“But she’s my source of motivation, so really it’s thanks to her that I can even produce such high scores,” Mina smiled, which only made Dahyun give off an unsightly face at the two who were now clung tightly to each other.

 

Just then, Dahyun’s stomach started growling. The rest then came upon the realization of their hunger. Mina and Sana offered to buy some food at the little stand in front of the arcade, and the younger ones waited patiently for their return.

 

“You like Sana, don’t you?” Chaeyoung abruptly mentioned.

 

Dahyun whipped her head to look at her, hoping that her roommate was making a joke. But the younger one looked at Dahyun with serious eyes, no hint of witticism, only the pureness of her remark. It wasn’t even a question really, as Chaeyoung could clearly see with her own eyes how her bestfriend interacted with Sana. Such warmth was undeniable even to Chaeyoung who couldn’t even give awareness to her surroundings that didn’t involve Mina.

 

Chaeng looked down and smiled, “It’s okay. Take your time. But I can tell how much you care for her. When you asked me what I thought about her behavior, I thought you were being dramatic because nobody would’ve paid that much attention to someone they’d just met, more so to someone they didn’t have the slightest interest in. But I wasn’t sure because you’re not the type to talk about such things.” She traced the smudge on the table with her fingers, and as if the answers were planted there, Dahyun stared down as well. “But you know Unnie,” Chaeyoung continued. “You don’t get such things often. Heck, it would quite fortunate to even have two chances. So whatever it is you’re feeling, make sure you go for it with no regrets. And just remember that I’m always here to support you.”

 

Thoughts of confusion clouded Dahyun’s mind. Her head was filled with intense emotions that she couldn’t organize, which only made her all the more perplexed. “I don’t even know what this is. I have this constant nagging, like my heart keeps pulling towards her, and all I want to do is be near her. The mere thought of being next to her, breathing the same air, fills me with joy. Nothing has to happen for me to instantly feel a sense of glee. It’s like the mere sight of her puts me out of proportion, completely shutting down traces of comprehension. Is that weird?”

 

Her roommate looked at her with a warm look. Chaeyoung shook her head, “Not at all.”


 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter