Kaiyukan

The Secrets We Keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On their last day in Osaka, Dahyun decided to spend the day resting at the hostel. All the traveling made her weak and the heatstroke from the previous night at the hot springs left her feeling lightheaded. Sana insisted in staying with her while the rest of their friends venture out to the Osaka Aquarium.

 

Dahyun remained in bed until noon, her fragile body down in spirits. Sana stayed in the room with her the whole time, constantly watching over her, making sure she was there if she needed anything, and making sure the blanket covered all of her body.

 

The younger one grumbled as she opened her eyes to meet the blinding rays of the sun.

 

“Are you awake?” Sana asked.

 

“Uh huh,” Dahyun sat up, rubbing her eyes as she did so.

 

The Japanese offered her a glass of water she prepared beforehand. Dubu drank the whole thing.

 

“I feel bad making you stay with me. You didn’t have to. I could take care of myself.”

 

Sana shook her head and smiled. “I want to be here. Don’t feel bad. You are my ulterior motive in this vacation, after all.”

 

Dahyun pulled up the blanket to her chest. “ert. You’re not getting anything today if that’s what you’re thinking.”

 

The older one rolled her eyes and chucked a pillow at her. “Look who’s talking. You faked passing out at the bath last night just so you could spend the night.”

 

“It was very effective though. You should be thanking me.”

 

“Okay, okay. Thank you Kim Dahyun,” Sana said sarcastically.

 

Just then, Dahyun’s stomach grumbled, stating that she was hungry. Sana giggled, “I’ll get you something from the convenience store. What you would like?”

 

She thought about it for a moment and with a big smile on her face, answered, “Takoyaki?”

 

Sana chuckled, “I don’t think they have any at the convenience store. But I’ll keep an eye out. I’ll be right back, so don’t do anything dumb.”

 

“You act as if I do dumb things all the time.”

 

“Pretty much,” she joked and left before Dahyun could throw the pillow she grabbed at her.

 

Sana went to the nearby convenience store and bought a couple of onigiris, milk for Dahyun, and self-served oden. She took a detour going back to look for a takoyaki stand. She took a while finding out but she managed to spot a stand a little ways from the hostel.

 

When she got what she needed, she walked back to, expecting to see Dahyun’s bright face when she sees the takoyaki. As the hostel came into view, her steps slowed down. Eunha was pacing back and forth in front of the door.

 

Sana took a deep breath before she approached her. “What are you doing here?”

 

Eunha looked up. “Hey.”

 

“What are you doing here?” Sana didn’t want to beat around the bush, and just get straight to the point of whatever her intentions were.

 

“Are you still mad?”

 

“What do you think?”

 

“You are,” she nodded. “What’s it going to take for you to forgive me? I know I made a mistake, and I’ve caused you so much pain. But I hope you can understand how scared I was to admit my feelings.”

 

“You think I wasn’t scared? I was terrified, Eunha.” Sana’s tone became stern. She was starting to get so furious, she was gripping the takoyaki container too hard that the box became dented. “I was in over my head thinking that I could ever be accepted in that nightmare of a school, but I took up the courage because it was you. I thought then that if anything happened, it was okay, because in the end, you’ll still be my friend. After all we’ve been through, how could you abandon me like that?”

 

Eunha had no words of defense. Her guilt was starting to eat her insides that she was on the verge of tears, feeling empathetic towards Sana’s experience. She felt suffocated just thinking about reliving high school. For months after the Japanese’s confession, they weren’t on speaking terms. Sana got bullied for her preference, constantly getting her books hidden, students writing words of criticism on her desk, students barring her from the female restrooms. There was an instance when they went as far as pouring water on her while she sat in the front yard of her own house. And all the while, through all these occurrences, Eunha remained in the sidelines. It was her biggest regret.

 

“I know,” she muttered. “And I’m sorry. I truly am. If I could go back in time, I would. I got ahead of myself and was selfish. I left my bestfriend on her worst moments and not a day goes by that I don’t regret what I did. I rejected you and denied my feelings for you because I didn’t want to be treated the same way you were.” Eunha bit her lip and tried to control herself from shaking. “But I realized too late that I would rather be ridiculed, thrown at, even get beat up for it, than to lose you. Please.” Eunha looked up at her and her voice cracked as she pleaded, “Can’t we go back to being how we were? I miss you.”

 

Sana loosened her grip on her take out and her anger seemed to subside. Of course, she was still upset about it, however her memories with Eunha came flooding in her thoughts. They were the best of friends, and she was the only one Sana ever relied on. The Japanese was a quiet and reserved person, from childhood days and all throughout high school. She rarely spoke unless needed and she could never bring herself to make conversation with anyone. It was as if she always had this bubble around her, and she felt separated from the rest of the world. It was Eunha that broke that bubble and forced her way in. Her bubbly personality got through the shy Sana, and they lived through junior high and high school together.

 

The older one sighed, “I don’t know...I don’t want to be childish and keep holding this stupid grudge on you. I’m actually happy with my current life, and I wouldn’t have found it if I hadn’t moved away. And that decision to move was caused by the extremities of my experience in high school.” Sana scratched her head and she tried to pull out the words from her head. “But you see, whenever I look at you and whenever I think about you, I am reminded of all those things that I want to forget. And it gets too painful.”

 

“Then, give me a chance to change that!” Eunha suddenly became hopeful and she stepped closer to her with pleading eyes. “We can hang out like we used to, have fun like we used to.”

 

“We can’t just pretend it didn’t happen.”

 

“I’m not saying we will. I just want to replace those painful memories with something good. I don’t want you to think of me and feel like your heart is tearing apart. The thought of such a thing makes my heart ache.”

 

Sana couldn’t help but give slight chuckle. Then, she cleared , regaining her cool composure. “You’re still so cringey.”

 

The corners of Eunha’s lips went up in a slight smile. “How about it? I’ll cook for you, anything you want.”

 

“You’re really trying to bait me with food, aren’t you?” Sana rolled her eyes. “I guess I could lengthen my stay here. It gives me more time to spend with my parents too.”

 

The younger one couldn’t contain her happiness, her feet were constantly fidgeting. “I’ll meet you here tomorrow? Or at your house?”

 

“My house is fine. My parents would probably want to see you too.”

 

While the two were having their conversation, Momo caught sight of them as she walked back to the hostel. The group had gotten lunch and the fellow Japanese wanted to bring food to her friends, especially since Dahyun wasn’t feeling well. She was about to call out to Sana until she noticed she was talking to a girl. Her steps slowed down, not knowing why. Before the girl parted with Sana, she quickly stepped up and gave her a peck on the cheek. Then the girl jogged away smiling.

 

Momo found herself hiding behind the electricity pole, hoping that Sana wouldn’t spot her. She wondered who the girl was and what her connection with Sana was. They seemed close. It was probably nothing, but… I wonder if Dahyun knows her. Momo decided against going to the hostel and went back to where her friends were waiting, still holding the take out food she bought for Dahyun.








 

~

“Momo, why do you still have the food?” Jihyo asked when the older one came back with the plastic bag still in hand.

 

“I got lost,” Momo lied.

 

“I told you someone should’ve gone with you. But you were confident you could navigate just fine.”

 

“It’s fine. Sana will probably buy food from the convenience store. It’s only a five minute walk.”

 

“It’s okay, Momo and Jeongyeon will eat the food,” Nayeon commented.

 

The friends were waiting at the train station for the train to Minato Ward where the famous Kaiyukan Aquarium was located. The seven of them crowded the train car that was filled with tourists. They spoke in hushed tones on what they should do when they arrive at their destination. Meanwhile, Momo kept quiet with her own thoughts. She looked out the window and gazed at the blank space in front of her.

 

Mina got up from her spot next to Chaeyoung and sat next to Momo. “Are you okay?” she asked in a worried tone.

 

Momo turned to her and sighed. She switched to Japanese when she spoke. “I feel like I just saw something I shouldn’t have. I got to the hostel and saw Sana with another girl. But I don’t think it’s my place to intervene.”

 

“Aren’t you jumping to conclusions?” Mina spoke in Japanese as well. “It’s probably just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter