Winter

The Secrets We Keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sana-chaaaaan,” Momo came hopping towards Sana during her break between classes. She was munching on a snack of half a sandwich when Momo called out to her.


“Momo-chaaaaan,” Sana called out in return.


“Do you have plans for winter break?”


“I was going to ask Dahyun if she wanted to spend it with me, though she probably would like to spend it with her family. So...” Sana shrugged.


“Actually, Dahyun’s going to spend it with us.” Momo took a bite of her friend’s sandwich as she offered the rest to her. “Minari’s mom invited us to their house. You should come. Jeongyeon and Jihyo are asking their parents first but it shouldn’t be a problem.”


Sana slowly nodded as she thought of spending the vacation with her friends. Then, a sudden realization hit her. “Wait a minute… Her house… In Japan?!” she turned to her.


The dancer nodded as she finished the last bite of the food. her hands for the crumbs, she said, “Mina-chan’s parents’ got the plane ride covered and everything. It should be fun! You’ll get to visit your parents too while you’re there.”


“Uhh… I’ll let you know. Let me just make sure I don’t leave any assignments undone,” Sana stammered for an excuse. Her friend didn’t seem to notice her hesitation and merely nodded. Momo waved goodbye and scattered away for her next class. 


The Japanese didn’t expect to be going back home so soon. The images of Sana’s past came  tumbling back to her, it made her shiver. Her stomach suddenly started churning, upsetting her desire to go to her next class. Various scenarios came to her head as the possibility of running into anyone she knew came running around her thoughts. She shook her head. I shouldn’t still be hung up in the past, she thought. This would be great. I would see my family, and I would get to spend time with everyone else. Furthermore, this would be my first vacation with Dahyun. I should think positive and just go. Even as she walked all the way to her class and during the lectures, even after she was making her way back the dorms, the dread clung to her like a stain that wouldn’t wash away. Sana became anxious as the possibility of it going wrong crept its way everytime she tried to convince herself of the benefits of the trip. 


As the Japanese laid on the bed and pondered on her own, a message from Dahyun caused her to forget about her worries for a moment. 


Are you in your room? Dahyun asked.


Yup!


Can I come over?


Of course.


Good, cuz I’m already at your door :)


Sana giggled and got up to open the door. The sight of the cute tofu was enough to make her feel better. Dahyun dangled a take out container in front of her. “I’m assuming you haven’t had dinner yet,” she said with a smile. The younger one went in and started opening the container of take out on the table. It was spicy ramyeon.


The Japanese sat down and with chopsticks in hand took her first bite. After the first taste, she paused. “Yah, this is really spicy. Will you be able to eat it?”


Dahyun slowly nodded. “It’s okay. I can handle it.” However, as Dahyun took the first bite, she quickly ran to the fridge to grab a bottle of water. Without a moment’s hesitation, she started gulping down the water.


Sana laughed out loud. “Stupid, why did you buy the spicy kind?”


Dubu wiped , “Because you like spicy food.” She sat back down across from her. “I thought maybe you were feeling down or something. You didn’t text me at all today.”


The Japanese smiled at her thoughtfulness, and felt bad for making her worry. She got up and grabbed a cup ramen from the cabinet. After heating up the water and waiting for the noodles to soften, she placed it in front of her girlfriend. “You’re so cute, you know that?” Sana giggled. “You don’t have to force yourself to eat what you can’t handle.”


The younger one blushed as she started eating her meal. The two enjoyed a quiet but soothing dinner together. She appreciated this kind of silence between them. Sana felt that she never had to try hard at making conversation with Dahyun, and the younger one felt the same, not that Dahyun ever had a hard time making conversation either way. Sana shoved a mouthful of noodles in and left red chili stains around her lips. As she was about to wipe it with her shirt collar, Dahyun leaned over and lightly slapped her hand. 


“Yah, that will leave stains on your shirt,” Dubu scolded. She got up and grabbed a tissue to wipe the corner of clean.


Sana smiled with full, her puffed cheeks resembling that of a squirrel’s. “Thank you.”


After finishing their dinner, Dahyun started to clean up around the room. She picked up Sana’s clothes that were recklessly thrown on the floor. “Unnie, you have to keep your room clean,” the younger one lectured her and continued to straighten out her things.


The Japanese wrapped her arms around Dahyun from the back. “Are you scolding your senior, kid?” She tickled Dahyun on the stomach and the younger one yelped. 


“Sana-yah!” She laughed and fought her way from her embrace.


“Also, don’t call me unnie. Darling works,” Sana smirked.


Dahyun sarcastically shuddered, pretending that the thought brought chills to her spine.


“Wow, I’m hurt Dahyun-chan.” The older one pouted, in which Dahyun couldn’t resist poking her squishy cheeks. 


“Darling, please pick up your clothes from the floor,” Dubu whispered in her ear.


Sana turned slightly pink and mumbled, “Okay.” The older one still became off guard whenever Dahyun became bold. She was used to being the one who asserted dominance in the relationship, however she couldn’t deny that she enjoyed witnessing this side of the cute tofu.


The older one started cleaning up her room when Dahyun asked her, “You haven’t said anything about Japan. You are going, aren’t you?”


Taking a moment to answer, Sana kept quiet for a moment. “I don’t know...”


“Why? Don’t you want to see your family?”


“Of course I do. It’s just… I have some baggage left there, and I’m not sure if I’m ready to face them yet.”


Dahyun was silent, thinking whether or not she should ask her precisely what it was that was holding her back. She didn’t want to pry as it seemed that the topic was hard for Sana to bring up. Seeing her looking quite melancholy led her to hesitate on the words to say.


After a period of silence, Sana stopped and turned to her. Dahyun was staring at the floor with her face scrunched up, as if pondering on some complicated math problem. Sana went over, bent down, and looked up at her face. “Do you want me to go?” she asked.


“Of course. But I don’t want to force you if you don’t want to...”


“Kim Dahyun, if you want me to go, tell me.”


Dahyun gazed into her eyes, “I want you to go with me to Japan. I want to spend New Year’s with you.”


Sana smiled and gave her a quick kiss. “I can’t say no to that.” She pulled her to bed and wrapped her arm around her. Dahyun snuggled closer to her and the two remained that way for the remainder of the night.

 

 

 

~
“Tzuyu, where’s your carry on?” Jihyo asked as the nine friends made their way towards the airport exit.


The maknae’s eyes widened.


“Yah, did you leave it on the plane?” 


“I think so,” Tzuyu muttered. 


Momo snickered, “Tzuyu, how could you be so careless?”


Jeongyeon playfully smacked her. “Your one to talk. We had to go back because you left your passport at the dorms.”


“That’s nearly not as obvious as your baggage though.”


“What are you saying? You can’t ride the plane without it.”


Momo rolled her eyes, “I get it, I get it. Momo and Tzuyu are the ones that need the most care. I’ll wait here while Tzuyu grab her luggage.”


After Jihyo and Tzuyu retrieved the forgotten suitcase, the nine of them were met by the Myoui family driver who led

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter