Chapter 9

Third Time’s the Charm

Author's note: The second part of this story is narrated by Bomi. Here we go :D


 

Yoon Bomi is known for being a cheerful, friendly, attractive and, sometimes, dumb girl. Yes, she may be dumb at times, but she’s not stupid; far from that, she’s really smart. She knows better than believing in fantastic and supernatural events… but then again, there was no other explanation for Chorong’s mind blowing ability of guessing what she wanted and when or the girl’s reaction out of nowhere that seemed to match or being a consequence of something she had thought, not even expressed once.

Bomi wasn’t angry anymore nor hurt, she was just uncomfortable and mostly, immensely worried. Monday after her fall out with Chorong, the girl showed up with her hand bandaged again and as soon as she saw her, fled away from Bomi.

Bomi got over her feelings of betrayal after realizing Chorong’s feelings were real and, after all, were what she wanted the girl to feel since the first time she saw her. Her ability was just the spark that brought them together in the end.  

It was only after four weeks that she heard from Hayoung- Hayoung out of all people! –that Chorong could no longer be a mind reader. Although, the girl seemed to have gained a new super power: vanishing. She could never reach out to get to talk to her and Chorong acted as if Bomi didn’t exist.

She knew Chorong was ashamed, but this was getting out of hand.

Junior year ended and Chorong, not even once, contacted Bomi again. So, two weeks after school ended, Bomi makes her move, sending Chorong a quick text message.

Bomi: Good afternoon, Chorong.

She awaits the reply. What Bomi never expected is that one wouldn't come.

The next day she starts earlier, during breakfast.

Bomi: Good morning, Chorong. Have a good day.

She sends a text again at lunch, another one at dinner, and one more before bed, never receiving a reply.

As now Chorong has proven to be a stubborn and extremely guarded person, so Bomi keeps sending messages for Chorong to realize that she was there for her.

But a reply is never received.


 

A week after, Bomi is still trying to push disappointing feelings away and gets ready for bed. She sends Chorong a text (Good night, Chorongie. I hope you sleep well) and settles beneath the covers.

At midnight she’s still staring up at her ceiling. She throws the covers off of her body, slipping out of bed, switching her pyjama pants for a pair of athletic shorts and a pair of shoes. She grabs her phone and goes for a run. Going for a run in the middle of the night might not be the smartest idea in the world, but she feels like the fresh air would do her well.

She arrives at a small old park near her house before her nerves starts to settle. Bomi wipes the sweat off her face and climbs over the gate in front of the old park. The auburn-haired girl sighs and looks towards the woods on the right. One summer she and Eunji had spent their days sneaking supplies out of their houses to build a tree house. She wonders if it was still there. She bites her lip and makes her way into the woods.

When she finds the tree, she’s surprised to see the tree house mostly intact; a couple of the steps were broken but that’s all. She reaches the top step, her eyes barely peeking over the floor, and freezes. There is a body in there. She is about to scramble down when she recognizes the person. Eunji's back is to her and she’s sitting with her legs dangling over the edge of the tree house where one of their poorly constructed walls had disappeared. She doesn’t seem to notice her and she doesn’t know what to do. After several moments of internal debate, Bomi hoists herself into the tree house.

She doesn’t look at Eunji until she sits down beside her and, even then, it is barely a glance. Bomi stares off into the treetops and kicks her feet. She doesn’t want to really look at the singer because she doesn’t want to see what she had done to herself. They sit like that for an hour, not looking at each other and not saying a word.

It is 2:30 before she gets home and when she finally crawls into bed, she sleeps.


 

Bomi goes back to the park every night for a week.

Her parents hadn't said anything yet, but she knows they were aware of her night-time excursions. She would text Chorong goodnight, lay in bed until she couldn't stand it anymore, run to the park, and then sit next to Eunji until she didn’t feel like she was going to jump out of her skin. Eunji was always there when she arrived and she always left before Eunji did. Sometimes Eunji has a beer and sometimes she doesn’t. Sometimes Bomi looks at her long enough to notice the bruises, but mostly she doesn’t. They stare at the leaves and breathe.

That is it.


 

Bomi blinks when she hears the scrape of boots against tree bark. She doesn’t turn to look at the singer as she made her way over. She doesn’t plan to look at her at all but when Eunji shifts her breath would catch and every once in a while she would hiss lightly. So, she turns to look at her.

Eunji wears a wife beater that still looks a little damp. Her lip is busted and bleeding and there is an angry purple bruise blossoming on her cheekbone. Bruises of varying degrees peppered her arms and Bomi was pretty sure her ribs were bruised. Her knuckles were red and swollen and it confirmed Bomi's suspicions: she had been going to a fight club to deal with her feelings about her parents and Minki.

Bomi bites the inside of her cheek and turns back towards the trees. She feels torn.

Bomi keeps her eyes fixed forward and slowly lifts her hand and places it over Eunji’s. The shorter girl doesn’t flinch and relief trickles through her.

"You look like a piece of meat, Eunji-ah."

Eunji grunts and Bomi continues her observations. "I think something stops being fun once you could no longer breathe without wincing."

"It's not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to hurt."

Bomi hums. "You know, I could always beat you up if you'd like. You wouldn't even have to pay me."

Eunji scoffs.

"Meungji, you seem to forget that I'm a third degree black belt holder of Taekwondo.”

She chuckles, "Are you still in shape?"

"Of course! If you want somebody to snap you in half I can, and I'll look like I'm dancing while doing it." She flaunts, kicking the air with her feet stretched.

Eunji puts her hand over Bomi’s and squeezes it. "It's not about that."

"I know. I don't know exactly how you feel, but I know." She pauses. "But you can't keep doing this."

Eunji rips a splinter off the wooden floor and throws it away angrily. "It's better than drinking myself into a ditch."

“I'm sure we could think of something else." The dancer murmurs, watching the other girl ripping the floor apart.

Bomi can hear Eunji gasping. "Are you propositioning me?"

Bomi rolls her eyes. "I'm serious. We'll think of something and if I find out you go back to that fight club I will come down there and beat you up myself."

They stare at the trees in silence until Bomi leaves.

She spends the next day trying to think of a way to keep Eunji from getting seriously injured, while still making sure to text Chorong. Eunji had lost a father and all of her family stability. She lost a part of herself. Bomi couldn't imagine how much she was hurting and she really wishes that she could help her, take some of the pain away.

There must be a way to vent all of Eunji’s frustrations.


 

Eunji laughs so hard she thinks she is going to fall out of the tree house.

"You're telling me you want to learn how to play American football, not baseball, not soccer, American football, so you can help me practice, so I can get a new hobby and also, a place for the female school team?" Eunji thought Bomi hated it.

"And quit the fight club, yeah." Bomi is trying to suppress the smile forming on her lips.

Eunji sighs and runs her hand over her hair. "I'm going to have to teach you the basics first."

"Awesome! When do we start?”

"Just come by my house tomorrow. Not before noon."

Bomi can’t stop smiling.


 

At approximately 12:30 in the afternoon, Bomi knocks on Eunji’s door.

"Bomi-ah..."

"It's after noon, Meung, don’t be a lazy ."

“Look who’s talking.” Eunji grunts and turns around, leaving the door open for auburn-haired girl to follow her.

Eunji kneels in front of the TV and starts to hook up the Play Station. "We're playing Madden. I'll teach you what's what."

For the next four days Bomi plays Madden with Eunji and she teaches her the basic concepts. ("Jesus, Pabbomi, I said throw it to the wide receiver, not hand it off to the running back!" "You don't run on a 4th and 8! Punt, Bomi, punt.”)

Part of Bomi is weary since she hasn’t gone to the tree house since they started playing Madden because she assumed Eunji wouldn't be there anymore. She wasn't supposed to be fighting any longer.

On the fifth day, she realizes it had been a mistake. When Eunji opens the door, she has a colourful black eye. They stand there for a moment, Bomi staring at the bruise and Eunji avoiding her gaze. Then Bomi walks into the house and turns the game on. When they are done, Bomi smiles bright and wide and says, "See you later, Eunji-ah.”


 

Bomi doesn’t get ready for bed that night. She sends Chorong's text an hour early (I hope you've had a great day. Sweet dreams) and begins her preparations. She stretches her muscles, puts on a pair of shoes, and heads to her car.

It isn’t very hard to find the building, Eunji's truck is parked out front. She parks and grips the steering wheel for a minute before she takes a deep breath, gets out of the car, and walks in.

There are about 20 people packed into the room and it’s obvious not all of them are fighters. The fights haven’t started yet but it’s still loud and sweaty.

She walks up to a man sitting at what appeared to be the sign up table and clears . He eyes her curiously.

"Are you lost, miss?"

"No, sir. I would like to sign up." She takes out her pocket wallet.

"Sweetheart…" The man is smiling condescendingly.

“Take my fifty dollars and let me fight Jung Eunji." She cuts him sharply.

The man's mouth opens and closes before glancing at Eunji, who still hasn't noticed her. "Whatever she did—"

Bomi leans over the table. "Take.the.fifty.dollars."

He snaps his mouth shut and nods. "She's one of our best fighters. You're going to have to fight someone lower first."

"But I'll get to fight her tonight?"

"Yes."

"Fine."

She sits in the back behind a group of rowdy spectators. She watches three matches. They were all crude and bloody. The fighters mostly fell into two groups: bored teenagers and men trying to recapture the passion of their youth. She watches Eunji watching them. Her face is devoid of any emotion. Finally they call Bomi’s name and she sees Eunji's eyes widen before Bomi turns to inspect her opponent. He was in his early 20's, athletic but not fit.

He stares at her. "Is this a joke?"

She moves lightly on her feet. The man yells ‘fight!’

She has him curling on his side clutching his abdomen with a few well-placed kicks and a throw. It takes less than 5 minutes. Someone raises her arm in the air and she catches Eunji’s gaze.

She slowly drags her thumb across and Eunji nods. Bomi sits through three more matches before the man stands in the ring and says "Bomi and Eunji to the ring."

They stare at each other. When Eunji raises her fists into position, Bomi sees the hesitance in her eyes and it makes her furious.

When the man yells, Bomi drops her stance, takes a step forward and backhand slaps Eunji so hard her head snaps to the side. There is silence, a gasp. Eunji’s right hook catches her in the side and then the auburn-haired girl is dancing around Eunji with sweeping kicks.

It is like they are eight again; they are punching and kicking and scratching, their bodies crashing together frantically. They are crying and sweating and can’t tell which drop was which. When they were little, Bomi's mom had to pry them apart and Little Bomi and Little Eunji would have started laughing.

This time Bomi has to stop herself, her elbow pressed against Eunji’s neck. The man is yelling at them to stop and they lay there gulping the air. She sees the relief in Eunji's eyes and the lingering sadness. Bomi stands up and offers her her hand. 

Eunji shakes her head.

She nods and shrugs off the man trying to raise her arm.

Bomi walks to her car and drives home laughing.