Chapter 4

Third Time’s the Charm

Author's note: This is a special short chapter, as we can see part of the story by Bomi's eyes. It will come a moment where Bomi's point of view and Eunmi's friendship is going to take a big spotlight, but that's later on. 

I thought it would be nice to get a little insight between them before continuing the plot. 

I hope you don't mind it and you like it! :)


 

Yoon Bomi POV starts.

Next Monday, Bomi is looking for an eye smiling girl who lately is nowhere to be seen.

The dancer feels uncommonly anxious and these past few days her life has been tilting towards something that excites her but scares her simultaneously. She’s heading towards the auditorium, where she knows Jung Eunji goes to seek comfort or solitude.

Near the double doors she can hear singing and she rushes her step. As soon as she bargains into the auditorium, Bomi spots a very tired looking Eunji in the fourth row, delighting in the singing coming from the chorus practice. She jumps two steps at a time with ease until she’s right beside the girl.

“You’re overworking yourself . Stop it.” Bomi can’t supress her first thought upon seeing her best friend so lifeless.

“Someone needs to help my mom Bomi-ah, until she finds a better job,” Eunji gazes lazily at her. “You’re worrying too much, I can see your mole even more now.”

Bomi covers her mole with a pout while taking the seat next to Eunji.

She’s silent for a moment. "We need to talk. For real. With lots of words."

Eunji runs a hand over her hair. "I know."

Bomi sighs. "I was going to bring a 12 pack and tell you that we were going to drink and talk about emotional stuff… but we’re at school and you know I couldn’t hold it anymore.”

Eunji puts her hand on the auburn-haired girl’s leg and smiles at her.  

Bomi smiles back. "You'd be proud of me Meung-ji. I made a mental list."

"I am Bbom. What's first?"

"Us."

Eunji nods slowly.

"I miss us.” The sincerity of her voice brings immediate tears to Eunji’s eyes. She’s been having a hard time and she has missed her best friend like crazy. Yet, the shorter girl considers that her Dad’s abandon is something she must struggle alone. And is not going to take a rest until her home’s balance is restored.

“Yeah, I miss us too… I’ll come back to you Bbom, just give me time to sort my out.” Eunji wipes a lone tear that was threatening to fall with a laugh. “I’m a wimp.”

Bomi nods, "Remember that one time a pair of kids called you a wimp? And then we put toads in their lunchboxes and they screamed like little girls.” The dancer is mimicking squawks with her whole face.

Eunji smirks, amused. "Our ears were red for a week by the time Mom stopped twisting them."

"Or that time in 2nd grade when we had an epic sword battle to see who got to be the Green Ranger for Halloween?"

"I still say you cheated." The singer accuses her.

"I did not. I won fair and square." Bomi pouts.

"Whatever, I decided that the Red Ranger was better anyway." Eunji crosses her arms over her chest, faking disinterest and confidence.

"Because you lost." Bomi states, teasing her.

"No, because Red was the leader and he had a freakin’ Tyrannosaurus!" They are now nose to nose, eyes fixed into each other.

"The Green Ranger had a dragon, which he called by playing his dagger like a flute!" Bomi imitates to be playing a flute, side-eying Eunji.

"Dragons aren't real." She tries not to laugh.

"Megazords aren't real. Besides, Green got the Pink Ranger." Bomi smiles smugly.

"Red Ranger had her first." 

Bomi scowls. "My point is that nothing we ever did was even remotely lame. You’re not a wimp."

There is a pause. They sit back in their chairs, mood changing immediately. Bomi almost regrets her last words.

They both look back out at the stage.

Eunji opens with difficulty. "You have more faith in me than I do right now." She murmurs.

"I've always been the more emotionally capable of the two of us." Eunji turns to look at Bomi after this. Bomi’s face is serious and she doesn’t look like she’s joking.

But she is.

Eunji chuckles seconds after and Bomi follows. They both know that’s a lie.

She smiled. "We always made a good team."

"I know. We are, Eunji-ah."

Eunji looks earnestly at her. "Bbom, what’s the deal with this Hani girl? She’s cute."

Bomi sighs. "She’s a great girl and we have tried, but there’s nothing there. We’re just friends. We like to hang out together and stuff."

“She’s not who you like anyways."

Her stomach twists. Bomi never thought she would live this moment someday. She bows her head.

She swallows thickly. "Meung, I think I've broken some kind of friendship code."

Eunji nudges her. "Because you're in love with Chorong?"

Bomi's head snaps up. Eunji has a soft smile on her face, searching for something in the auburn-haired girl’s face. The dancer’s eyes burns and she nods.

"It's okay."

"How did you know?" Bomi thinks she’s choking with anxiety.

"Because I broke the code first." The singer’s voice is tinted with a delicate guilty tone. “I knew you liked her since the first day… but I couldn’t stop myself. I wanted her for me.” She tucks back a strand of hair behind her ear, only to have it emerge again.  “I respected you for doing what I did not… drawing your line with her. I’m sorry I put you through it.”

Bomi grabs her hand and squeezes it tight, hoping that would ease the lump on both of their voices. “She fell for you, though.”

Eunji squeezes it back. “Hm, I loved her and she did fall for me. But there’s was something missing. A special spark that I could only feel when she was fighting you or complaining about how bad you were treating her,” Eunji slaps Bomi lightly on her shoulder, "Jerk."

Bomi laughs awkwardly. "I guess I was a bit intense."

“She fell for me,” repeats Eunji, “but her eyes were looking for you all along. I still love Chorong sisterly like, I’m not in love with her though. You should go after her, Bomi-ah.”

Bomi is speechless. She puts her arm around Eunji’s waist and leans against her. Eunji squeezes her shoulders. They sit like that until the bell signalling the period’s end rings and they scoot back to the halls.

“Bomi-ah.” Eunji hugs her sideways. They are taking her time to reach classes, almost skipping every step but without moving that much.

“Yeah?”

"The next time we have to talk about all of this emotional , we'd better both be drunk."

"Deal." Bomi shoots her agreement.

Their laughter can be heard echoing in the halls.

Yoon Bomi’s POV ends.


 

Author's note: As said before, it was a very short chapter. Now, the next one continues as usual and I'm going to upload it in this very moment.