Chapter 12

Third Time’s the Charm

Eunji gapes at her, eyes wide open and totally amazed. Bomi has just show up with a set of keys dangling from her hand, beaming proudly.

“How did you do it?”

“So you know, I am very charming and had my ways to be alone for many times until I got them.” Eunji runs to her, hugging her so tight her back pops.

Now they have a place to practice without prying eyes and also have access to the pads and helmets. The only things they need to provide are mouth guards, cleats, and football pants. Eunji already has cleats and football pants.

Bomi suggests they use their prize money from the fight to buy mouth guards and new cleats for both of them.


 

Bomi’s making silly faces in her bathroom mirror, examining her green mouth when her phone beeps.

Is Chorong.

As she looks at the screen, her heart flutters and her stomach drops simultaneously.

Chorong: Guess what I just heard from Changsub? Apparently you and Eunji were at the sports store. Why exactly would you need to go to a sports store?

She hesitates. The auburn-haired girl recalls seeing Changsub at the food court of the mall she and Eunji were in. Damn Changsub and his easy mouth.  

Bomi: Keeping my promise.

Chorong: Oh really?

Bomi: Yep. I promised you I wouldn't get hurt so I was buying safety equipment.

Her reply doesn’t come immediately and Bomi can’t help but fidget.

Chorong: I meant what I said! No football! If I see one hair out of place I'm going to kill Eunji! And you too!

The dancer is starting to boil with frustration. She really, really, does not get Chorong’s mind. The other girl acted like she didn’t exist for weeks, and now she is trying to control what she can or can’t do? Like hell she will.

Bomi: Who are you to tell me what I can and cannot do? I’m glad you’re worried, Chorong, but I'll be fine. Besides, it's not like you’re really talking to me or we’re seeing each other.

Chorong: Someone has to tell you what do to because apparently you don’t know how to take care of yourself! I'll stake out the park if I have to!

Bomi: I'm a tough girl, Chorong. Why you care that much? Because if I remember well, you act as I don’t exist anymore even when I text you every single day.

Her reply takes a few seconds more than usual.

Chorong: Bomi…

Bomi: Anyways, we’re not at the park anymore.

Chorong: Where are you going?

Bomi: I'm not going to tell you. Chorong, we're just having fun. We're using protection.

Chorong: God, you just made it sound like you two were going to have .

She and Eunji? Yuck. Her bro is a very hot woman indeed, but that would be . Just, no.

Bomi: What? Eunji wishes lol. And that’s disgusting.

Chorong: My thoughts exactly. Now, about this practicing…

She rolls her eyes.

Bomi: Goodnight, Chorong.

Chorong: Bomi, you don't get to end this conversation.

She forces herself not to respond.

Chorong: Bomi.

Her fingers twitch so she wraps her arms around her middle.

Chorong: Dammit, Bomi! I'm going to figure out where you're going and when I do you're going to be in so much trouble. Sleep well tonight, because tomorrow there will be blood.

Bomi reads the last message over and over again, two thoughts running through her mind. First, that Chorong is nuts. And second, that the black-haired girl is, finally, starting to give in to her.

She has to admit… she kinda loves Chorong, as crazy as she can be.


 

Bomi wakes up the next morning excited and worried. Excited because she and Eunji are going to be able to really let go on the field. Worried because, if her memories of their past quarrels and Eunji’s experiences too are something to rely on, she has never known Chorong to make an empty threat.

Chorong's determination is one of the many qualities Bomi finds attractive, but it means that she will eventually find out where they are playing and Bomi doesn’t want to find out what would happen when she succeeds.

She’s hesitant as she sends Chorong her good morning text. The black-haired girl is probably still very angry with her.

Bomi: Good morning, Rongie. I hope you slept well. I promise you that everything will be fine. Have a great day.

She’s halfway through breakfast when her phone lits up.

Chorong: I'll be watching you.

Bomi: Isn’t that a The Police song?

Chorong: Joke all you want, Bomi, you and Eunji are going down.

Bomi doesn’t respond, just shakes her head amazed at the girl’s aggressiveness.

Ten minutes later, she receives another text.

Eunji: Rongstler is bat insane. She used to be so kind to me before. Damn.

Bomi frowns.

Bomil: What did she do?

Eunji: 20 texts. All threats. I'm afraid to look out of my window.

Bomi: Maybe you should just lay low until practice.

Eunji: You don't really think she would kill me and hide my body, do you?

Bomi: Well… she’s very thorough.

Eunji: Not helping. I'll pick you up at 1:30, okay? It'll give us time to shake her if she tails us.

Bomi: Good plan, I'll see you then.


 

Bomi drives herself to her favourite dance studio for her class and can’t help to check for Chorong in her rear-view mirror. Of course, the girl isn’t there and Bomi almost forgets about her.

When she walks out of the studio, struggling with her gym bag and fumbling in her purse for her keys, Chorong's voice reaches her ears.

"Need any help?

Bomi stops and stares. A very smug looking Park Chorong is leaning against her car.

"Ch-Chorong!" Bomi winces at the high pitch of her voice. "What are you doing here?"

The black-haired girl pushes herself off the car and saunters over to Bomi. Bomi gulps as she stops in front of her. Chorong leans in, speaking in a low voice.

"I think you know exactly why I'm here."

Bomi's throat goes dry. Her mind starts to drift off to past images of her and Chorong making out in Chorong’s bedroom. Her lips on her. Her lips and tongue on Chorong’s neck and jaw, pulling the girl closer.

"Oh?"

"I'm here to help you make sure you don't get hurt," she smirks. 'Of course is because of that. Get your mind out of the gutter, Bomi.'

Bomi gets lost again staring at Chorong' lips. They quirk upward as if the other girl knew what effect she’s having on the dancer.

Chorong's smile is dangerous for many reasons. "I'll see you at home."

Bomi checks her rear-view mirror the entire drive back to her house. She never catches sight of Chorong, but when she pulls into her driveway and gets out of her car, Chorong is there.

The black-haired girl rolls down her passenger side window and leans over. Chorong's brown eyes lock on to Bomi and she raises two fingers, points to her eyes, and then points to Bomi.

Bomi waves awkwardly and Chorong drives off.


 

When Eunji's truck pulls up in her driveway, Bomi sprints outside, practically throwing herself inside the truck and commands Eunji to drive.

"She followed me to dance class and back home Eunji. I didn't even see her until it was too late."

"No ?"

"None at all. She had this smirk on her face, Eunji, like she was going to devour me." She’s almost whispering, looking back, out of habit.

The singer makes a face. "You said that as if it were a bad thing. What kind of lesbian doesn't want a pretty girl to eat her? I’m pretty sure you want that very much from Chorong."

She blushes and turns toward a very much red Eunji, most probably from the effort of keeping herself from bursting in laughter.

Bomi can’t deny it though.


 

They park three blocks away from the school because it would look suspicious to have a lone truck in the parking lot. They each carry a small duffel bag and wear their typical athletic clothes. They take turns glancing over their shoulders, but Chorong is nowhere in sight.

When they arrive, she and Eunji just stands there looking at the field for a while. For some reason, it looks beautiful.

Eunji hugs her around the neck. "You're the best bro anyone could ever ask for."

"You’re too, Eunji-ah."

They go to the storage shed and once they are properly attired, they walk out onto the field.

The pads makes moving feel different and the cleats gives her feet more purchase. There is a different sense of balance, but Bomi is able to adjust quickly. It is also really nice to be able to use cones for their obstacle course as opposed to large rocks or various objects that always turned out to be far pointier than they looked. Near the end of practice, Eunji is doing the obstacle course and Bomi’s chasing her. She cuts right and she tackles her.

This time when they slide across the ground there is little to no pain and Bomi decides that tackling is pretty awesome. She doesn’t move to get off Eunji, just raises her arms in triumph and starts singing, "I am the champion, my friend. I'll keep on fighting to the-"

Eunji shoves her off and starts laughing. They both are having the time of their lives.


 

She gets home to find her mom sitting at the kitchen table. El smiles at her.

"So, how was it?"

"It was so amazing, Mom." She’s bursting with joy.

"I'm glad that you're having fun. I'm proud of you for sticking by Eunji." Her mom pats her warmly on the head.

Bomi grins, "It's nothing, Mom."

"I don't know. I think it's pretty brave of you to risk invoking the wrath of a certain special friend of yours in order to help her." El smiles mockingly.

Bomi gasps. "How did—"

"She stopped by while you were gone. She was very interested in learning your whereabouts,” She scratches her chin, “I felt like I was in an interrogation room."

"You didn't tell her." The dancer's eyes are twice its size now.

"Of course not," Her mom sips from her glass. "She seemed much invested in your wellbeing."

"I know. It's so confusing." Bomi starts to bite angrily a piece of bread.

"Why?"

Bomi pauses. "She didn't reply to any of my texts at all until yesterday and it only was to threaten me about playing football. She’s insane!"

Her mom reaches across the table and squeezes her hand. "Some emotions make you do crazy things. Give her time."


 

Eunji texts her later to tell her that Chorong had showed up to her house too. She had also sent her a few more messages.

Bomi is doubtful of her good night text.

Bomi: I’m going to bed 100% free of injuries. I hope you didn't spend all of your day trying to find us. Please, sleep well Rongie.

Chorong responds almost immediately.

Chorong: You got lucky. And if you're concerned about me wasting my time, you should just quit or tell me where you're meeting.

Bomi: Good night, Chorong.

Chorong: Tomorrow, Bomi.