Story of Childhood Friends

A Complicated Kind of Love

“Put that pen knife down and stop threatening her.” Chaerin shouted.

Well, that’s basically the beginning of how Chaerin first met her current best friend whom she trusted with her whole life, Park Bom.

Park Bom is a quiet girl who is always alone wherever she goes, to the library, to have lunch. Sometimes, even the person in charge of the adoption agency forgets she lived there. Until one day, she met a tough girl named Lee Chaerin. Her life instantly changes. She became a cheerful and energetic girl knowing she have Chaerin who will always be there for her.

Remember when I told you Park Bom had a traumatic past? 4 years before knowing Chaerin, She lost both her parents in a burned apartment. As soon as her father saved her and brought her out,

“Dad! Mom is inside! Dad! Mom is inside!” Bom shouted while shedding tears sorrowfully.

“Bom ah, ssh… stop crying. Dad has to tell you something. Your mother and I love you so much. So much more than you can ever imagine. Promise mom and dad that you will take good care of yourself okay?” said Mr Park in a fast but calm tone.

“Can I see my daughter smile now?”

Bom smiled even though tears were streaming down her face.

“I have to go and save mom! Remember what I said.” Mr Park shouted while rushing to save his wife.

Afterwards, he straightaway went to save his wife. That is when the fire starts to get bigger and they were both trapped inside and eventually died. At the age of 4, Park Bom was sent to a local orphanage nearby.

Bom lived there till she is 8 where Chaerin’s mom decided to adopt her seeing how bonded both of them are. Furthermore, since Chaerin’s mom is always going overseas to perform, at least Chaerin would have a friend to play with and talk to at home.

“Bom ah, I am sorry for asking this, but I’m curious to know.” Chaerin said hesitantly.

“It’s okay. Feel free to just ask.” Bom coolly replies.

“Do you still remember your parents face? Well, you were still so young when the fire happened.” Chaerin asked.

“I still remember the moment vividly in my mind. How my dad told me for the very last time to take care of myself. How I can clearly hear my mum screaming from inside the building. I will never ever forget that moment Chaerin ah. It is too painful for me to not remember it.” Bom replied calmly.

Tears starts to form in her eyes, her lips were shaking trying to control her tears but failed in the end. Chaerin immediately went over and hugged Bom while patting her back.

“It’s okay Bom ah. My mum and I are here for you. We will take care of one another. I promise you I will never leave you. I promise you that I will never ever let anything bad happen to you. I will protect you and I will hold on to this promise until we both get our own happiness, until my last breath.” The smart 12 years old kid, Chaerin giving comforting words to Bom.

“Aigoo. What am I doing. I shouldn’t have asked.” Chaerin thought to herself.

The next day as they were playing sand castle.

“I feel like I don’t have a mum. She’s barely home. I don’t think she loves me Bom ah…” Said Chaerin in a sad tone.

“Yah! Be grateful that you still have a mum. I can no longer feel the presence of my real mom.” Bom raised her voice while busy collecting sands.

All of a sudden. Chaerin froze. It’s like Bom’s words truly opened her eyes and made her realise,

“I should be grateful that I still have my mum around. Bom ah, I will make you feel like you have a real family by your side, always…” Chaerin thought to herself and smiled while looking at Bom who is too engrossed building her sandcastle.