The Photograph

A Complicated Kind of Love

“Dad, I need to ask you something!” Donghae said.

Donghae barged into his father’s office feeling frustrated that he is unable to find out the truth about his past.

“What’s wrong with you Donghae!” His dad got shocked.

“What’s this letter? What are you hiding from me? Please tell me if you really think of me as your son.” Donghae let out all the things that he has been holding it in.

Mr Lee sigh. After 19 years, he finally gets to know what really happened back then.

“Sit down first son and I will tell you everything that I know.” Mr Lee calmly told Donghae who is feeling agitated.

“My first marriage is with a women named Song Ji Min. We received the letter when you were 3 years old. We had an argument before your mom left home. I saw the news that she passed on from news articles but believe me Donghae, I didn’t know that she was pregnant with your dongsaeng when she left. If I knew…”

“So, you left her? You abandon her just like that when she left? You didn’t even bother to chase after her? What are you?!” Donghae raised his voice feeling disappointed towards his father.

“Listen to me Donghae. You do not know something. Your real mother, Song Ji Min and I had an arranged marriage. The feeling of love wasn’t as strong as real couples do. You have to understand.” Mr Lee tried to calm Donghae down.

Donghae just kept quiet.

“What happens after that?” He asked.

“When I received that letter, I was shocked knowing I have another daughter. At that point of time, I am already married to your stepmother. Please don’t blame her. She did encourage me to get Lee Soo Hae back but I insisted not to.”

“What the hell?” Donghae find the situation absurd and whispered to himself.

“Listen to me first. I am worried that you will not be able to understand the whole situation and this whole situation will be confusing to you. That is the reason I decided to ignore the letter and keep this secret from you hoping you can continue living normally as mom & dad’s son.” Mr Lee further explained.

“When the truth is my real mother has died? When the truth is my own father don’t really care about my own mother? When the truth is that I have a biological sister? What about her dad? What about her Mr Lee? The innocent little girl whom you abandon back then and not claiming for your own selfishness? Answer me!” Donghae screamed with so much frustration.

“I do know that! Please stop this. I know this hurts so bad for you. As years goes by, never once did I not regret doing that. But I know that my daughter is in good hands at the adoption agency please understand me Donghae. My head was in a mess and everything has already happened.” Mr Lee explained.

“Don’t talk to me. I need some time to myself to go through all this mess in my head.” Donghae said.

Donghae was about to walked away when…

“Wait. You need to see this.” Mr Lee stopped him and went over his drawer.

“Here, you will need this. Now and go and find your sister. She needs you, she needs us.”

Mr Lee handed over a baby picture of Lee Soo Hae. The picture is given by her adopted parents together with the letter hoping that her real father would come and get her.

“She needs me… and not you, never you.” Donghae said.

-----

“Lee Chaerin! Faster! We are late already!” Bom shouted from outside Chaerin’s house.

Chaerin has promised Bom that she will follow her to the adoption agency to find out more about her real parents.

“Wait a moment! I’m putting on my shoes.” Chaerin shouted back.

“Okay we’re good to go!” Chaerin patted her best friend’s shoulder.

-----

“Mr Ji, I need you to tell me more about my real parents. Please.” Bom pleads the person who is in charge of the adoption agency ever since she was young.

“Bom ah. You were brought here because of your adopted parents who died from the apartment that was on fire remember?” Mr Ji replied.

He continued. “The adoption agency only received your belongings and a letter from your adopted parents at that point of time. We have no idea as to what happened to your real parents and if we do, we would not hide it from you like what we did last time.”

Bom sigh. Chaerin held his arms on Bom’s shoulder knowing she needs comfort.

“We are really sorry that we could not help.” Mr Ji apologized.

“No, it’s okay. Maybe I’m only meant to know the name of my real mom is but not see her.” Bom said in a solemn tone.

When Bom and Chaerin was about to leave.

“Wait a moment Bom. I just remembered!” Mr Ji called upon Bom who is about to leave.

“Here. This is a picture that I got from inside the envelope. This looks like you Bom.” Mr Ji handed over a new born picture of Bom.

“Woah. Kyeopta!” Chaerin exclaimed.

Bom lets out a small laughter not knowing if this picture is able to bring her to her real parents.

As Bom and Chaerin were walking back,

“Bom ah, please don’t be sad alright? You have me and so many people love you, you got me, Heechul and Donghae!” Chaerin said happily.

Chaerin’s face then changes knowing how awkward things will be now with the conflicting feelings Heechul has towards Chaerin.

“Chaerinnie, are you okay?” Bom notices her quick change of facial expression.

Chaerin tried to change topic. “Bom ah, can I call you Soo Hae now? Your real name?” She happily said.

Bom laughs. “Up to you chingu!”

She continued… “Now, I feel like the only present left for me is this baby picture of me and knowing my real name. My heart hurts Chaerin ah. But I know time will pass and I will get over this.”

Chaerin does not know what to say since they currently do not have any lead towards Bom’s real parents. Chaerin just afford to comfort her, that is all that she can do as a friend.

-----

Chaerin & Bom decides to go to Han River to clear their minds and have some peace. They were sitting on a bench.

“Bom ah, opps! Soo Hae ah…”

“Yeah?”

“Are you going to give up just like that?”

“You think I want to? All that I have right now is the letter my adopted parents gave me that do not have much details except the name of my mother and this picture of me when I was young. What do I even afford to do right now?” Bom said in her sad tone.

Chaerin just sigh.

“Shall we head back?” Chaerin said.

“I’m kind of sleepy too. Let’s go.” Bom said.

“Hey. Listen to me, you are not alone okay? Even if you cannot find out the real truth, you have us.” Chaerin said.

“Who?” Bom purposely asked hoping she can know what happened between her best friend and Heechul.

Chaerin kept quiet.

“You said that on purpose, didn’t you?” Chaerin said.

“Oh, you know me so well Chaerin. Now tell me.” Bom said.

“Heechul confessed to me.” Chaerin hesitantly told Bom.

“I knew it. I knew he has feelings towards you.” Bom said happily.

“You knew? What do you mean?” Chaerin asked.

“Aigoo. My best friend, Chaerin. Isn’t it obvious how he treats you. He treats you so differently from other girls. He changed because of you. You don’t remember how he used to be a playboy? You don’t realise how he changed since you 2 grouped together for the project? Isn’t that already obvious?”

Chaerin became speechless.

“Actually, I saved him that time from a group of loan sharks who were demanding money to be paid back, I paid back on behalf of him first. I didn’t know Bom, I have always thought he felt like he owe me something and that is why he is nice to me.” Chaerin explained.

“My silly kind-hearted friend is so confused.” Bom jokingly said and laughed.

She continued, “I guess you should let him be until he is ready.”

“Well, that is exactly what he said. To not talk to him until he is ready.” Chaerin said.

“Wait! You didn’t ask me if I rejected Heechul or not. You also didn’t ask me if I have feelings towards him.” Chaerin asked Bom.

Chaerin felt confused as to how her friend told her that she should let Heechul be until he is ready.

Bom laughs.

“What’s so funny?” Chaerin frowned.

“Because I know you have feelings towards Donghae.” Bom said.

“What are you Bom? A psychic?” Chaerin looked surprised.

They both laughs before getting into the serious mood again.

“How did you…” Chaerin was about to ask when she was interrupted.

“You want to ask me how did I know? Ms Chaerin, it’s not like I know you just yesterday. We have been friends for more than 10 years. You became soft spoken with him, the way you looked at him, the way you told your secret to him at the hospital. That just shows how much you trust him. The Chaerin that I know would not randomly tell her secrets to others just like that. You thought I was unconscious, didn’t you?”

They both laughs. Chaerin lightly slapped Bom’s shoulder.

Chaerin and Bom gets into the serious mood again.

“Tell him if you really love him.” Bom sincerely said.

“I can’t. I’m afraid at the fact that I will not be able to face him knowing I will soon leave for LA. That is why I am avoiding him.” Chaerin explained.

Bom sigh.

She continues. “Any decision that you make, I have no choice but to support you. Do the things that you think is best.”

“Gomawo Soo Hae. I thought you were sleepy? Let’s go home now.” Chaerin said.

“Oh! Talking about Donghae, he told me before that he is finding a long-lost sister, who knows you are the one he is looking for?” Chaerin said.

“Aigoo. You’re funny Chaerin, how can it be such a coincidence!” Bom laughs.

“I’m serious though.” Chaerin said while frowning.

“Faster! Let’s go home!” Bom said.

Bom then playfully dragged Chaerin’s arms urging her that she wants to go home quickly.

Both of them then laughs.