The Reunited Siblings

A Complicated Kind of Love

Bom was walking through the alley near her home on her way to school.

“Woah! Daebak! A new sandwich shop! I have to buy it.” Bom thought to herself.

She also smiles to herself knowing her favourite breakfast food is sandwich. Knowing she still have 30 minutes more before school starts, she goes ahead and buys it.

Before she was about to queue, Donghae was also about to queue too.

“Oh! Annyeong Bom ah!” Donghae energetically said hello to his buddy.

“Donghae? You also like sandwiches for breakfast too?” Bom asked.

“Yes! Sandwich and hot milk tea is a must for my breakfast.” Donghae replied.

“Woah! Daebak! We have the same taste!” Bom happily said.

They both laughs.

“Yes, what do you wish to order?” The person at the counter asked Bom.

“I would like to have the sandwich with cheese and tuna, without the tomatoes and vegetables please.”

“That’s weird. Who would buy a sandwich without vegetables?” the person at the cashier thought to himself.

Donghae stared intensely at Bom.

“That sounds so familiar.” Donghae thought to himself.

A few seconds later it suddenly came to his mind that his dad, Mr Lee also do not like tomatoes and vegetables on his sandwich. “What a coincidence.” Donghae smiles while thinking to himself.

“Your turn to order Donghae. Donghae?” Bom called out Donghae who was staring at Bom.

“Oh yes! Sorry.” Donghae said.

-----

Both Donghae and Bom ended up walking to school together since they already met and since the hospital visit, Donghae have yet to catch things up with Bom.

They were walking at the side of the road.

“Bom! Watch out!” Donghae shouted while pulling Bom’s arms.

A black Nissan car was dashing on the road just like that and Bom was about to get hit but thankfully it was a close call and Donghae managed to pull Bom to his side.

“Aigoo. Sorry and thank you Donghae ah.” Bom anxiously said.

“No, it’s fine! I am the one who should be sorry because you should have walked inside instead.” Donghae said hoping Bom does not blame herself.

“Bom! You dropped a pict…” Donghae froze while staring at the picture.

“Oh yes! Sorry!” Bom then took the picture from Donghae’s hands.

Donghae is still frozen at his spot and he could not utter a word.

“Hello! What’s wrong with you Donghae?” Bom said. She jokingly snapped her fingers in front of Donghae for a few times.

Donghae held her wrist.

“Soo Hae? Lee Soo Hae?” Donghae eyes starts to fill with tears as he muttered those words.

“How did you…” Before Bom could even finish her words Donghae hugged her tightly.

She continued, “Know…” Bom said softly.

“Finally. What have I been doing all these while when you were right in front of my eyes.” Donghae whispered at Bom’s ears.

When Donghae finally let go of the embrace.

“Follow me…” Donghae said as he gives a slight smile and wipes his tears and bring Bom to somewhere that is less crowded.

Bom still looks confused.

-----

“Okay Bom. Sorry, Soo Hae ah. I’m Lee Donghae.”

Bom laughs.

“Of course, I know that! How did you know my real name, Donghae?” Bom is still clueless.

“Soo Hae, my dongsaeng. I’m your brother. I’m your real biological brother. Aigoo. You know it took me so long to find you, from the letter that I found, to finding you at our mom’s old apartment, to transferring school to YG High School. All that is just to find you.” Donghae explained.

Soo Hae hands starts to tremble. She could not help it but tears ran down her cheeks.

Donghae held Soo Hae’s hands to comfort her.

“Take a breathe. I understand. Take as much time as you want first.” Donghae said.

“I have so many questions in my head right now.” Bom said while she stares into space.

“How did you know I’m your sister from that picture?” So Hae asked.

“I got it from our dad and our dad got it from an envelope given by your adopted parents.” Donghae replied.

“Let out all the curiosity that you have. Oppa is here for you.” Donghae smiled with relieved.

“Where’s mom & dad? Where’s our mom & dad oppa?” Soo Hae asked.

“Here’s the story uri dongsaeng ah. You have to be strong while listening to this alright?” Donghae said.

Soo Hae nods.

Donghae starts to tell his younger sister the full story on what happened.

“Our mom & dad had an argument that night. I was only 3 years old at that point of time. Our dad name is Lee Jin Hyuk and our mom name is Song Ji Min. After they argued, mom left home. Dad did not know that at that point of time, our mom was pregnant with you, So Hae ah. She had an accident…”

“And my adopted parents helped?” So Hae interrupted.

“Yes, they did. Our mom managed to give birth to a beautiful little girl whom she named Lee Soo Hae. With the help of your adopted parents Mr and Mrs Park. Mom gave the responsibility for them to help and take care of you before she took her last breath.” Donghae said.

Soo Hae who have always thought that her mom is still alive starts to bawl even more after finding out she no longer have the chance to see her real mom.

“And before my adopted parents died, they did try to inform our dad through a letter and a baby picture of me?” So Hae asked for confirmation.

“Yes, Soo Hae ah.” Donghae replied.

Soo Hae could not control her tears.

“And he chose to ignore it? He chose to ignore the fact that I am here? The fact that I exist?” Soo Hae was already bawling her eyes out.

Donghae could really feel her younger sister’s pain and only manage to give her a hug and pat her back. Donghae could not help it but to cry together with her sister.

“Shh…You have to be strong So Hae ah. I hated our dad for that too. We have to be strong. You have me, you have your brother right here to protect you. You don’t have to worry about anything because I will never ever leave your side.” Donghae try to give comforting words to her younger sister.

“Oppa, my life was in a mess and miserable since Mr and Mrs Park left. I have no one oppa. I only have Chaerin to turn to. I really have no one.” Soo Hae let out her true feelings of loneliness that has been kept hidden.

“I know… I really know that.” Donghae softly muttered those words while comforting Soo Hae.

-----

Chaerin,

Meet me at the rooftop garden.

From, Kim Heechul

Chaerin found the note on her desk.

“Rooftop?! Don’t tell me…” Chaerin thought to herself.

Chaerin became worried and immediately rushed to the rooftop thinking something bad could happen.

“Yah Kim Heechul.” Chaerin screamed when she saw Heechul sitting near the edge.

Chaerin quickly pulled him.

“What’s wrong you Ms Chaerinnim?” Heechul was laughing while saying that.

Heechul is sitting on the floor while Chaerin is kneeling.

“Please don’t do this. This is not the way to solve it.” The once cold hearted Chaerin is looking down and is tearing up in front of Heechul.

“Hey… Look at me.” Heechul held Chaerin’s chin. “I’m not committing suicide. Stop crying already you cry baby.” Heechul tried to comfort Chaerin but at the same time teases her.

Chaerin wiped her tears.

“Then why are you sitting at the edge?” Chaerin raised her voice and at the same time is feeling embarrassed.

Heechul stood up. “Come follow me…”

“Look down there, there is another platform right below. Do you think I would want to commit suicide that way my little Chaerinnie?” Heechul said.

They both laughed.

“Please don’t get me worried like that ever again.” Chaerin said in a serious tone.

“Okay…Okay…” Heechul said.

Heechul & Chaerin then took a sit and calm themselves down.

“So, what do you want to talk about Heechul ah?” Chaerin asked.

Heechul took a deep breath and began to talk.

“I thought a lot about what you said. I had a sufficient time to reflect on it and I know all the things that you said is true. About how it takes both hands to clap for a relationship to work out. About how feelings should be similar for true love to happen.”

Chaerin just nods slowly while listening intently to Heechul.

There was a long pause before Heechul continued…

“I have moved on now and you do not need to worry anymore. The process will not be easy, but I know I’m going to.”

Chaerin patted Heechul’s back lightly and gave a slight smile.

-----

“What?! Are you serious?” Chaerin exclaimed.

Bom nods and smiled brightly.

These 2 girls ended up at the staircase area where Bom drags Chaerin there to tell her the good news that she finally found her biological family member, Donghae.

“I’m so happy for you Bom! Opps! I mean Soo Hae.” Chaerin said as she hugs So Hae while she lets out tears of joy.

They both laughed.

“So, am I going to have a sister in law?” Soo Hae said.

Chaerin looks surprised.

“What are you talking about?” Chaerin acted like she does not know what Soo Hae is talking about.

“Nah. You know what I mean.” Soo Hae smirked.

“Now let’s go and eat, our break will end soon.” Chaerin tries to change the topic.

“Changing the topic huh?” Soo Hae jokingly tease Chaerin while Chaerin drags Soo Hae back to the canteen.

-----

“Hey! You okay?” Donghae asked Chaerin who was sitting alone at the park.

“Yeah. I’m fine. You’re not going home?” Chaerin asked.

“Not yet. Trying to avoid me again?” Donghae said jokingly.

Both of them laughed.

“I heard…” Chaerin said.

“About?” Donghae asked.

“About Soo Hae & you. Soo Hae seems so happy when she told me about it.”

Donghae just smile.

“I am too. I am very thankful. That’s the main reason why I came here anyways. I didn’t know I will be able to meet someone as amazing as you too.” Donghae said spontaneously.

Donghae then clears his throat.

“I really mean that, you know.” Donghae said trying to cover up his embarrassment of saying those cheesy words that he is not used to.

“I know.” Chaerin calmly said.

-----

“Annyeong Heechulie!” So Hae exclaimed as she places her arms over Heechul’s shoulder.

“Annyeong…” Heechul replied half-heartedly.

“You heading home? What’s with the long face? Smile a bit, will you?” So Hae enthusiastically pleaded Heechul.

“I was hoping for a peaceful walk home you know.” Heechul said softly hoping So Hae would understand the situation he is in.

“Okay then I’ll walk away.” So Hae said while sulking.

After So Hae took few steps…

“No wait…” Heechul grabbed her arms.

Soo Hae pretended to look pissed.

“Aigoo. Our Bom is sulking. She does not look good when she looks like that.” Heechul teases Soo Hae.

So Hae unable to keep a straight face began to laugh lightly.

“Yah. My name is not Bom already.” She said.

“Then what are you? Wait. Let me guess. Ms Grumpy?” Heechul laughed.

So Hae hit his head.

“Not funny you know.” Soo Hae pretend to be pissed.

“My name is Soo Hae. Lee So Hae.” Soo Hae said.

“Wait. I’ve heard that name before from Chaerin.”

Few seconds later…

“Woah! Don’t tell me…” Heechul shocked.

“Yeah. Lee Donghae is my brother.” So Hae explained.

“Good then. He’s a nice guy.” Heechul said.

“I know.” So Hae replied while smiling from ear to ear.

There was a pause for a few minutes.

They continued to walk home.

“I…” Both of them started talking at the same time and laughed afterwards at the awkwardness.

“Ladies first.” Heechul said.

“I know you’re feeling down about what happened about you & Chaerin.” Soo Hae said.

“There’s a bench! Let’s sit down for a while.” Soo Hae dragged Heechul hands.

They both felt discomfort as Soo Hae held Heechul’s hands.

Both of them clears their throat.

“So… Back to what I want to say. There must be a reason as to why all of these things are happening. You know… I believe someone wonderful are out there for you. You just need to have faith. If your true love does not come now, maybe later, maybe next week, maybe next year? I don’t know but what I’m sure is that when the time comes, that person would be the best for you. The one you can rely on, the one whom you can protect, the one whom you love with all your heart…”

While Soo Hae is saying all of these things enthusiastically without even looking at Heechul, Heechul lovingly looks at Soo Hae who is looking so energetic trying to cheer him up.

“How can someone who went through so much pain able to remain cheerful like that?” Heechul thought to himself.

“Just be patient okay.” So Hae then turn to look at Heechul.

Heechul felt embarrassed as he was staring at her.

“Yeah. Okay. Let’s go now…” Heechul stuttered.

At that moment, someone placed the arms on Heechul & So Hae’s shoulders.

“Ehem. What are the both of you doing here?”

“Oppa!” So Hae exclaimed.

“So Hae is just giving me some comforting words.” Heechul explained as he smiled while looking at So Hae.

“Thank you So Hae.” Heechul said softly.

Donghae is just observing.

“Since your brother is here, I shall leave now. See you both tomorrow in school!” Heechul said while walking.

“Wait!” Donghae stopped in front of Heechul.

“Why is my sister comforting you? Is something wrong?” Donghae asked as he is curious.

“Nothing. I had enough when one of the Lee’s already question me.” Heechul sarcastically joked.

Heechul waved goodbye while many questions are in Donghae’s mind.

“Soo Hae ah… Come follow oppa.” Donghae said as she placed his arms on her sister’s shoulders.

Soo Hae looked confused.

-----

“What is this place Donghae ah… Opps! Oppa yah?” Soo Hae smiled.

Donghae slightly laugh looking at his silly sister.

“In the letter that your adopted parent’s send to our father, this address was written. I went here before, but nobody was here. I was thinking who knows we can still find the answer. Let’s keep trying and never give up.” Donghae said confidently.

They head upstairs to the 5th floor.

“That’s the house,” Donghae points.

The outer area is still similar as before. Still dusty and messy.

“Let’s try and knock oppa.” Soo Hae said.

An 80 years old grandma opened the door.

“What are the two of you doing here?” the old lady said softly.

“I saw you before, halmeoni. You are the one who lived at the 3rd floor right?” Donghae exclaimed with a confused look on his face.

The old lady, Mrs Song shakes her head.

“Come inside.” Mrs Song said.

Both Donghae and Soo Hae walked inside carefully.

“This house looks old.” Donghae whispered to Soo Hae.

“Yeah. Must be as old as you.” Soo Hae jokingly replied.

“Aigoo this little girl.” Donghae said and jokingly pinch Soo Hae’s cheeks.

“Have a sit.” Mrs Song said.

Both of them, Donghae & Soo Hae became serious.

“You both look confused. Let me introduce myself first. I’m Mrs Song. I’m the mother to your mother, Song Ji Min. Basically your grandmother.” Mrs Song calmly explained.

“But…” Donghae is about to clarify his confused thoughts.

“I know. At the lift a year ago. I knew you looked really similar like my daughter. I was able to recognize you especially when you reached to 5th floor trying to find someone. I told the neighbour to keep quiet about it because I was not ready at that point of time. Also…” Mrs Song paused.

“Because your mother left me a note. To only accept her son & daughter only when you come as 2. Turns out, I guess your mother’s wish came true.” Mrs Song said.

“How did you know my address?”

“Soo Hae’s adopted parents sends it to our father. It must have been a reminder from mom.” Donghae explained.

Mrs Song nods her head.

“Are there any questions you would want to ask…” Before Mrs Song could finish.

“How was mum? Is she a nice person?” Soo Hae interrupted.

“She’s a filial daughter who never fights back to whatever I say. Even when she was forced to marry your dad. She’s very kind hearted and willing to do anything for your dad. But that night is the night she really couldn’t handle it.” Mrs Song explained.

“Before the accident, when she was pregnant with you, Lee Soo Hae, she came to me with her bags crying. I want to beat the hell out of that guy badly, but your silly mom really loves him a lot.” Mrs Song paused.

“Why didn’t she left me to you halmeoni?” Soo Hae became curious.

“You can say it’s fate.” Mrs Song said.

Donghae and Soo Hae looked confused.

“I was leading a poor life back then; our condition is bad. I guess since your mum feels that the person who helped you seems to be well off, she left you to them.” Mrs Song said.

Both Donghae and Soo Hae starts to tear up slowly.

There is pause for a few minutes as Donghae and Soo Hae is trying to grasp the situation.

Mrs Song’s voice breaks the silence.

“The both of you don’t want to hug your grandmother?” Mrs Song said softly while tears start to stream down her eyes feeling touched that she finally meets both her grandson and granddaughter.

Donghae and Soo Hae immediately went over to their grandmother and cried sorrowfully.

Mrs Song smiles with tears of happiness that she fulfilled her daughter’s request and finally embrace her grandson and granddaughter.