The Unrequited Love

A Complicated Kind of Love

Chaerin just stepped into the house and Ms Ha immediately went to her with her arms crossed.

“We’re leaving in 1 week. I have already booked the tickets and everything has been settled. Your school, our home, everything.”

Chaerin immediately walks away… Few steps after…

“Why?” Chaerin softly asked.

“What do you mean why?” Her mum acting like does not know what Chaerin is talking about.

Chaerin shook her head. “Don’t pretend. I’m your daughter, I’m so used to it already. Why me? Why must I follow you? All these years you left me for weeks and months and now suddenly I must follow what you say? Don’t you find that it’s unfair for me?” Chaerin let out her thoughts.

Ms Ha held Chaerin’s hand, “That’s the reason I want you to follow me. I did not spend much time with you and I’m regretting it a lot Chaerin ah. Is it wrong of me to get to know my daughter better and spend time with her?”

Chaerin teared as she did not expect that from her mom.

“No mom. I will. I will listen to you.” Chaerin said.

“Now that’s my daughter.” Ms Ha smiled feeling relieved.

-----

Chaerin walked quickly trying to avoid Donghae who is following her.

Donghae grabbed her arms.

“Lee Chaerin. What is it? Something’s wrong, right?” Donghae asked worriedly.

Donghae seemed confuse as to why Chaerin is avoiding him

“No, it’s nothing.” Chaerin said.

“I told you that if there’s anything wrong, you should come to me first.” Donghae felt frustrated that his friend is hiding things from him.

“Please. Don’t ask.” Chaerin pleads Donghae.

“Lee Chaerin!” He shouted.

“Lee Donghae!” She shouted back.

“I have things that I can’t tell you and things that I don’t want to tell you and I have things that I do not want to reveal to you! So please… Don’t ask me anything!” Chaerin calmly explained.

“Am I… Am I that meaningless to you? What is it that you can’t tell me? Huh? What could you possibly need to hide from me.” Donghae felt confused and not giving up in finding out what is wrong with his close friend.

He continued. “Is our friendship that meaningless that you’re behaving this way towards me?”

Chaerin stared in his eyes deeply and tears starts forming in her eyes.

Chaerin thought to herself…

“I love you. That is for sure. I cannot bear to leave knowing how much I love you. I am distancing myself from you so that it would be easier for me to leave. I want you to know and understand, but there is no way I have the courage to do that.”

Donghae felt uncomfortable and became soft hearted.

Donghae clears his throat. “I’m here, you do know that right?” He said while spreading his arms wide signalling Chaerin that he is there if she needs a comfort hug from a friend.

Without any words, without Chaerin explaining anything, she immediately went to his arms knowing how much she needed that comforting hug.

-----

“Annyeong Bom ah!” Chaerin excitedly greet her best friend.

“Annyeong Chaerinnie.” Bom energetically replied.

“Chaerin ah, are you free after school?” Bom asked.

“Yeah! Why?” Chaerin nods her head.

Bom said that she receives an address from the letter and that she needs to go there in order for her to find out more about her past.

Chaerin hold Bom’s hand, “Yah… I’m going to be all in with you to help you find out your past. Okay?”

Bom nods and smiled. “I’m so thankful that I met a kind-hearted person named Lee Chaerin.”

“Aigoo Bom ah. I don’t like to hear these cheesy things. Let’s go for lunch now, my stomach has been growling since just now.” Chaerin complained.

Chaerin and Bom was walking happily towards the canteen when Heechul interrupted their pathway.

“Come with me.” Heechul held Chaerin’s hand. Bom was left confused.

Bom smiled cheekily afterwards before heading to buy food.

“I knew Heechul has feelings towards my precious best friend.”

-----

Heechul dragged Chaerin’s arms to the emergency staircase that is prohibited for students.

“Yah Kim Heechul! What’s all this about?” Chaerin said while feeling confused.

“You know that we are not allowed to be…” Chaerin continued before she was interrupted.

“Why him?” Heechul asked and keeping that serious face that is unlike him.

“What do you mean?” Chaerin asked.

“Don’t lie that you do not know that I have feelings for you.” Heechul said. “I saw the both of you hugged just now. Why him?” He continued.

Heechul’s voice is shaking. His legs weakened from the confession that he sat down on the stairs. Chaerin sat beside him patting his shoulders.

“I really have no idea Heechul ah. I really mean it.” Chaerin explained not knowing what to say.

“You didn’t reply my question.” He said sternly.

“I don’t know why. You know the feeling of love can just happen without you even know it right? It’s unexpected.” Chaerin explained.

“I hope you would understand if I were to distance myself from you until I’m ready to face you.” Heechul said.

“I will and I’m sorry.” Chaerin sincerely said.

“You don’t have to be. One more thing, don’t sympathise me. Never.” Heechul said before leaving quickly.

Chaerin breathes in deeply.

“Why are all of these things happening so unexpectedly? What have I done? What am I doing to our wonderful friendship? How am I supposed to face Heechul?”

So many thoughts are in Chaerin’s head.

Everything is so clear to her now. Seeing how Heechul took care of her and how he was willing to visit her at night feeling worried just because she did not take his call, how Heechul always have the pissed off look whenever she is talking to Donghae.

“Why didn’t I see all those thing before?” Chaerin felt so frustrated to herself knowing she is unable to do anything now.