Trial

Trust, Let's Trust.

The calm atmosphere of the room breaks at the sound of applause from the small audience gathered during Hope's piano rehearsal.

"No mistakes?" Hope turns to her honest critic, her oldest sister-in-law, Jiara Kim.

"There were a few." Jiara explains, while the rest of her cousins and friends lounge around the room.

"I'm surprised you took time off to practice." Hana comments, munching on an apple.

"I'm not ruining someone's wedding by being unprepared." Hope huffs,

"I didn't think you would put in effort for people who are practically strangers to you." Jaemin says. His eyes hidden behind a pair of sunglasses as he lays haphazardly on a sofa.

"I don't recall my relationship with the couple, but I volunteered. I do not back out of my commitments." Hope states, purposefully hitting a wrong note.

"Fu*k, Hope!" Jaemin groans, clutching his head along with Hyungsik, Jason, Taemi, Bora and Jackson. 

"Opps." Hope snickers and goes back to perfecting the songs.


Heeyoung is walking through the lobby, her attention on her phone when she crashes into someone. Thankfully, the other person is quick to grab her arm and save her from falling flat on her face. 

"Thank-" Hope smiles at the man holding her arm.

"Hi." Jongin smiles at her,

"When did you get back?" She asks, subtly checking Jongin out in his dark gray suit.

"A couple hours ago." Jongin chuckles at his wife's failure at subtlety. The confidence boost from her appreciation is much welcomed.

"Why are you out this early?" Jongin asks, seeing as she's wearing sweatpants and an over-sized T-shirt with a beanie covering over her head.

"I was-" His phone rings, interrupting them.

"I need to go pick up my parents." He informs her,

"I need to get ready." Hope replies, pointing towards her outfit.

"I'll see you later." Jongin asks, gripping her hand,

"You will." She nods, looking at their joined hands.

"Yeah. I mi-."

"Drive safe, Jong." She pecks his cheek and heads to the elevator.


"Where's Heeyoung?" Jongdae worries, searching for the familiar pastel pink.

"She'll be here." Jongin assures, fixing Jongdae's tie.

"Heeyoung!!!"

Jongin snaps his head towards the entrance, his eyes finding the person walking in. Looking over her dark-hair, he's taken back to their first meeting at their engagement party.

"You're stunning." Jongin blurts,

"You're handsome." She smiles, turning to the groom.

"Congrats. I won't mess up the music, so don't mess up your vows." She greets, heading to the grand piano.


After the ceremony ends, Heeyoung slips away for some fresh air while the bride and groom get ready for the reception. She's more nervous playing for their first dance. Engrossed in her thoughts, she fails to notice the male coming to stand beside her before he nudges her out of her thoughts.

"Hey." Heeyoung blinks out of her daze,

"What's wrong?" Jongin worries,

"Nothing, I need a few minutes to breathe." Heeyoung smiles,

"Nervous?" Jongin asks, recognizing her tells.

"Slightly." She nods, "Were you looking for me?"

"Lunch is ready." He informs her,

"Oh. Let's go." She heads for the exit,

Jongin grabs her around the waist, "You look gorgeous." He whispers, pressing a kiss to her temple.

"You don't look bad yourself." She mumbles, hurrying inside and leaving him staring behind her.

~

The couple chose an empty table at the back of the room, not wanting anyone to disturb them as they eat and occasionally feed each other. However, their peace doesn't last long as others join them.

Jaemin plops in the seat beside Heeyoung, "I'm starving." He whines, expectantly looking at her plate.

"The buffet is right there." She comments, but Jaemin doesn't relent. Hope huffs, stuffing a piece of bread into his mouth.

"Me too." Jayden demands, climbing into Jongin's lap and giving Hope puppy eyes.

"Get your own plate, Kim." Hope hisses at Jaemin, while feeding Jayden.

Reluctantly, Jaemin stand up.

~

"Are you going to karaoke night?" Jaemin asks, returning with a loaded plate.

"Do I have a choice?" Hope sighs, wiping Jayden's mouth clean.

"Karaoke?" Sehun perks up from beside Jongin,

"More like the brats looking for a chance to get wasted." Hana comments,

"You guys should join." Jackson encourages,

"I volunteer to babysit the actual children." Haechan says, pointedly staring at Jaemin and Taehyung.

"Hey, we're still children." Jaemin scoffs, offended. "Hope, tell him."

"I don't have to." Hope nods, wiping the sauce off the side of his lips as her phone rings.

"Let's talk later, I need to get ready." Hope waves, heading towards the grand piano with Jongin.

"Why does he keep following my Hope?" Jaemin glares at Jongin's back.

The group share a look but choose to keep quiet and ignore Jaemin's question.


"May I have this dance?" Jongin pops up in front of Heeyoung,

"Of course." Heeyoung grins, sliding her hand in his as they head to the dance floor.

"That was a good speech." She compliments, as they sway to the soft beat.

"Thank you, it only took in a week to write." Jongin jokes,

"Impressive work." Hope teases,

"I've always been jealous of their love." Jongin confesses, pulling Heeyoung closer.

"I can see why." She looks at the happy couple lost in their own world.

"Y-" Jongin is interrupted with a tap on his shoulder.

"Do you mind?" Chanyeol asks Hope. She shakes her head, slipping out of Jongin's hold and grabbing Chanyeol.

"Park Chanyeol." Hope blankly states,

"Hope Park." Chanyeol chuckles, "I've been trying to talk to you, but you're a busy woman."

"What's up?" She asks,

Chanyeol shakes his head, "I'm not used to this blank Hope."

"Excuse me?"

"You're one of my best friends. You probably know me better than my parents." Chanyeol huffs,

"My memories have been erased." Hope bluntly states.

"I know. It's just, we are were close, and I was used to talking to you daily." Chanyeol tears up, making Hope awkward as she's not the best dealing with tears.

"Why don't we talk outside?" She tries to encouragingly smile at him, hoping it doesn't come out awkward.

~

"How do I know you're telling the truth about us being close?" She asks, leaning against the railing,

"I have pictures and videos. I would show them to you, but I'm afraid it could trigger you." Chanyeol states,

"Show me." Noticing his hesitation, "I'll take responsibility for my choices."

"Sorry, but no." Chanyeol refuses.

Hope straightens up and though she's shorter, the look she gives Chanyeol makes him feel shorter.

"You have till tomorrow to contact me." Hope warns and struts back to the banquet hall, leaving behind a slightly terrified yet amused Chanyeol.


"Hope Park." Jackson yells, spotting her walking into the loud ballroom, that has been transformed into a dance club with loud party music and disco lights.

She snatches a drink from a passing server and greets everyone on her way towards her friends.

"Was this not karaoke night?" Hope questions, joining her friends.

Jeremy chuckles, shaking his head and pointing to the machine set-up on the pseudo stage. Hope nods just as someone chooses a song and attempts an old-school rap song.

"Please tell me someone's recording." Hope asks, recognizing the wannabe rapper as her cousin, Hyungsik.

Haejin chuckles, nudging his head to where Jason and a few others are recording a tipsy Hyungsik.

~

After his failed attempt at rapping, Hyungsik makes his way back to the group and manages to get everyone playing Truth or Dare. Many of the players are well past drunk since the challenges have been getting more daring. 

"Hope, truth or Dare."

"Truth." Hope chooses the safe route, not liking the smirk on Jackson's face,

"A couple you think shouldn't be together." Hana interrupts, smirking as she sips at her cocktail.

" off, wifey." Hope sweetly smiles at Hana, attempting to take a shot but because it's a truth, she can't skip the question.

"Hyungsik and Bora." Hope reveals,

"I wholeheartedly agree." Bora slurs, slumping against a chuckling Hyungsik. Everyone heaves a sigh of relief when the couple doesn't seem to be affected.

~

Jongin is lounging on the sofa, watching Jaemin and Heeyoung on the dance floor. He's always been able to suppress his jealously, but now, he's not sure how long it'll be before he snaps.

"Instead of staring, why don't you join them?" Minseok asks.

Jongin snaps out of his thoughts and glances at his cousin,

"He's not wrong." Jackson agrees, taking a break from jumping around.

"I don't think they need another partner." Jongin shrugs, gulping the rest of his drink and signaling a waiter for another.

"You won't know until you try." Huang Jianli joins in, eyes focused on Jaemin and Hope.

"Let's go." Jianli grabs Jongin and drags him to the dance floor.

"Huang needs an honorary mention when JoHee gets back together." Jackson states, watching Jianli push Jongin between Hope and Jaemin.

"I'll make a note." Minseok humors him, standing up to join his wife back on the dance floor.

~

"You're here." Hope beams, guiding Jongin to wrap his arms around her waist and she loops her arms around his neck.

"I'm not ready for this vacation to end." Hope mumbles, resting her head on his chest.

"Me neither." Jongin nods, pulling her closer to him.

~

"Can we go outside?" Hope suddenly pulls away from him. She drags them out of the ballroom and leads them to the rooftop where they had their date.

They're standing shoulder to shoulder, looking out at the ocean.

"I like you, Jongin." Hope confesses,

"And I like you, Heeyoung." Jongin replies, shaking his head as if he can see the thoughts going through her head.

"Right." Hope glances at him,

"When you first asked me out, did you think you'll end up liking me?" Jongin asks, helping her process her thoughts,

"No. At first I thought you were beautiful and sweet. I thought maybe after getting to know you, the attraction will fade. It always does. I find someone attractive but later, I lose interest. But the more I get to know you, the more I want to know." Hope rambles,"You're like a book, I want to keep re-reading even if I have everything memorized." She confesses,

"Me too." Jongin genlty smiles,

"I.I hate relationships, Jongin." Hope says.

Jongin takes off his jacket and wraps it around her shoulders, noticing the goosebumps on her arm.

"Where does that leave us?" Jongin asks,

"I don't know. I want to be with you, but I'm also terrified." Hope sighs,

"I understand. I know Jaemin's mentioned my past history. I don't do relationships either, but if we both put in a little bit of effort we can make it work."

"Jongin."

"Heeyoung. I like spending time with you. I want this to continue. We don't need a label, if you prefer." Jongin pleads. Hell, if he needs to, he'll get on his knees.

"I like spending time with you as well, Jongin. I don't want to lose this but we have to realistic. I'm on 'vacation' yet I've spend more time in meetings. What happens once we return to our normals lives." Hope says,

"Like I said, we both put in an effort. Yeah, we'll be busy but we make time. It's the least we can do, don't you think?" Jongin asks.

"Let's do a 3 month trial. After that, we decide if we want to make it official or if it would be better to part." Hope suggests,

Though reluctant, Jongin agrees.

"If you want to end it before the 3 months, tell me."

"I won't cheat, Heeyoung. We're exclusive." Jongin assures her,

"Of course, I wouldn't cheat either." Hope frowns,

"Three months." Jongin sighs, stepping close to Heeyoung and pulling her to rest her back against his front.

"Three months." Hope nods as Jongin presses a kiss to her hair. 


"Good morning." Hope greets, taking off her sunglasses and heading to the seat besides Taehyung.

"Ugh." Hana groans, leaning her head against the window,

"This is why I ask you to drink plenty of water before drinking." Bomi lightly scolds, handing Hana and Taehyung a mug of green tea.

"You've all relocated to Seoul?" Hope asks her friends,

"We have." Haechan nods,

"KPK Firms, Bomi's at KT, Eddy working with Elle and Taehyung in the entertainment industry. We're all following our dreams." Hope says, pulling out her laptop and a file.

"Do you ever take a break?" Taehyung mutters,

"This isn't work."

"President Kang?" Hana pipes up,

Hope smirks, "We'll see about that." 

"Is someone joining us?" Hope asks, hearing footsteps sound up the stairs.

No one answers as Seoulites enter the cabin.

"What are they doing here?" Hope whispers to Taehyung.

"Flying back with us." Taehyung sasses,

"Go back to sleep." Hope grumbles, narrowing her eyes at a grinning Jongin. He didn't mention anything last night.

Hope simply smiles at the Seoulites and continues looking through her files. The minute they take-off, Hope grabs her things and heads to the back.


Knock. Knock.

Hope smiles seeing the person at the door. 

"Come in." She urges him inside the conference room. Jongin walks in, kissing her cheek and taking the seat beside her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Hope asks, pushing the papers away and shutting the laptop.

"Honestly, I forgot." Jongin grimaces,

"If I knew, I would have rode with you, instead of having Jaemin drop me off." She laughs, not noticing Jongin momentarily frown.

"I didn't think you would be working on the plane." Jongin comments,

"It's not work when you enjoy doing it." Hope jokes,

"I don't think I've met anyone who enjoys reading legal contracts." Jongin replies,

"Neither have I." Hope winks.

"You can continue working. I came prepared." Jongin puts his laptop bag on the table.

"Yay. I've always enjoyed study dates." Hope smiles, surprising Jongin as she's told him something similar before.

"Me too." Jongin kisses her temple and directs his attention on emails.