Choice

Trust, Let's Trust.

Jongin steps up to the counter, but is stopped by Heeyoung grabbing his forearm.

"What?" He asks as she tightens her hold on his wrist.

"We're not going." She says, grabbing her suitcase and dragging Jongin to the exit.

"Byun Heeyoung, if you don't want to go, just say that. Why are you doing this?" Jongin tries to yank his arm away as people keep glancing at them. Heeyoung doesn't care about the eyes as she hails a taxi. While the driver helps load their bags into the trunk, Heeyoung informs him their destination.

"Out of everything to rebel against, you chose the vacation." Jongin scoffs,

"Think what you want." She turns away from him.

Jongin frowns at his wife, hoping for further explanation, but the lady has her attention on her phone, so he plugs in his headphones and pities himself for missing his tropical vacation.

Seeing him sleeping uncomfortably, Heeyoung carefully moves his head to her lap.

~

Nearing their destination, Heeyoung shakes Jongin awake.

"Why are we at the hospital?" Jongin asks, confused, but she keeps quiet.

Heeyoung knows where she's going, so he silently follows after her, but gets restless quickly,  "What's going on?" he asks,

His wife doesn't answer, opening the door to the waiting room and revealing his family. His mother is huddled close to Jongdae as Junmyeon, Minseok and Seungwan try their best to comfort them.

"What's going on?" Jongin startles his family, as they decided to not tell Jongin until after his honeymoon.

"Son, what are you doing here?" Mrs. Kim asks, while Seungwan stares at Heeyoung,

"Where's dad?" Jongin scans the room for his father,

"Surgery." Heeyoung answers for them,

"You knew. Why did you not tell me?" Jongin yells at her,

"Kim Jongin" His mother scolds,

"It's fine, aunty, CEO Kim is just worried about uncle." She smiles at the elder, before facing Jongin, "I didn't want to spread false information, as I'm not aware of all the details."

"Heeyoung." A male in a white coat walks in with a nurse following him.

"Doc." Heeyoung greets,

"Hello, I'm Dr.Yoon Jaeho. Your husband has a dislocated shoulder along with a head injury, which seems to have caused a ." The doctor informs them, 

"?"

"Our team is doing their best." The doctor assures them, "Does anyone in the family share the patient's blood type?"

"No, we don't." Jongin answers for everyone,

Dr.Yoon sighs, glancing at Heeyoung before turning to the nurse, "Make sure she doesn't overdo it."

"Heeyoung, I'm being serious."

"I understand, doc. If I feel lightheaded, dizzy or sick. I'll let Nurse Lim know." She turns to her mother-in-law, "I'll be back." Heeyoung smiles, before following after the nurse.

"What's happening?" Mrs.Kim asks,

"Heeyoung is a universal donor, so she's getting her blood drawn. She's done this many times, there's no need for worry." Dr.Yoon explains.


Ignoring the doctor's words, Heeyoung pushes through the dizziness until the bag is filled. She waits for the nurse to leave before getting to her feet, but when she tries to stand her knees give out and she ends up sprawled on the floor.

"Why do I even try?" Dr.Yoon pants, having run back after the nurse delivered the blood bag to the OR.

"Oops." Heeyoung mumbles, hanging her head as the sudden movement caused a dizzy spell. Jaeho steps forward, wrapping an arm around her waist and another under her knees. He carries her through the hallways towards his office, though neither of the two worry as the staff has seen this scene countless number of times.

"Get some rest. I'll wake you up if anything happens." Jaeho sets her on the sofa bed, before walking out.

Nurse Lim enters a few minutes later, shaking her head as she hands Heeyoung an opened juice bottle,

"Why do you make his job difficult?" The nurse asks,

"Why can't I? He's following orders to care for me, why should I make it easy?" Heeyoung shrugs, gulping the rest of the drink.


"Someone check on Heeyoung?" Mrs.Kim asks, worried for the younger as it's been hours since she left.

Seungwan speaks up, "I'll stay with Mom. Jongin and Junmyeon check up on Heeyoung, while Dae and Minseok get us some food."

The Kims cousins look reluctant to leave, "I'll call as soon as we hear anything." Seungwan promises,

Jongin follows his cousins out, suddenly mumbling, "This is my fault."


Heeyoung wakes up to Dr.Yoon working on his computer,

"How long was I sleeping?"

"Not too long. They've gotten past the difficult part. You can inform the family." He tells her, looking at her getting to her feet before turning back to his papers.

"Thanks." She folds the blanket, heading to the door, "Oh, I used an Epi-pen last week, after eating bacon. I wasn't admitted, so there's no reports. I thought to let you know, since you have to report to your boss." Heeyoung shuts the door.

Mrs.Kim pulls Heeyoung for a hug, when she walks into the waiting room. Though surprised, Heeyoung stays silent, noting her husband's absence.

"Sorry for worrying you." Heeyoung apologizes, before informing them "Dr.Yoon told me, they've gotten past the difficult part and things are looking better."

A nurse walks in to let them know, the surgery was successful and the patient will be moved soon.

Heeyoung takes a closer look at Jongdae, frowning as she sees his torn knuckles and a bruise forming on his cheek. Minseok and Junmyeon also look a little roughed up.

"I need to do something. Aunty, please try and get some rest." Heeyoung smiles at the elder before heading to search for her husband.

Heeyoung heads to the nurses station first. One of the nurses tells her, she saw the four cousins head towards the rooftop garden, so that's where she goes, finding Jongin at one of the slightly dim sections.

"Uncle is going to be fine, the surgery has gone well and they're moving him soon. So, shouldn't you be there?" Heeyoung asks, sitting beside him,

Jongin humorlessly chuckles. Turning to his wife, he shocks her with his bruised face.

"What happened?" She worries over his injuries.

"I'll be right back." She runs off, quickly returning with a first-aid kit.

"Oof." She pants, crouching before the CEO and opening the first-air kit beside him and getting started on cleaning his injuries.

"Why are you doing this?" Jongin asks her, wondering if she's genuinely caring or acting towards an ulterior motive,

"Because you're my husband."

"Is that all?" Jongin asks,

"CEO Kim, if anything were to happen to you, I would be the first suspect." She stuns him briefly before he bursts out laughing at the unexpected answer.

The laughter turns to sobs as Jongin cries, "Earlier, Dad got mad at me, after seeing me with another woman. I'm sorry." Heeyoung doesn't say anything for a few minutes, before facing him.

"Don't keep the ice pack on for too long." She says, as if he didn't confess to cheating on her.

"Heeyoung."

"Uncle will be moved soon, you should head over." She says, standing up.

"Heeyoung, please." Jongin holds her wrist,

"You live your life and I live mine, didn't we decide that?" She states, yanking her hand away as Jongin watches her leave.


Flashback.

Jongin walks out to the garden to get some fresh air. He's thinking back to Heeyoung smiling and laughing carelessly with Chanyeol, when a hand lands on his shoulder, surprised to see Jihyun.

"What are you doing here?" Jihyun asks,

"Need some fresh air." Jongin answers,

"Heeyoung and you look good together." Jihyun comments,

"If you say so."

"I do. I can't believe you're getting over me this quickly." Jihyun teases,

"How are you so sure about it?" Jongin asks,

"I'm a woman, I have an intuition on matters of the heart." Jihyun seriously says,

"Really?" Jongin asks, "Can I try something to make sure?"

"What?" Jihyun looks confused, seeing Jongin leaning close to her,

"What are you doing?" Jihyun gulps, leaning away, though he keeps advancing,

Jihyun is almost laying against the bench, waiting for the next move, but when she doesn't feel anything, she opens her eyes to see Jongin's face hovering above hers,

"You're right." Jongin whispers, leaning closer, causing Jihyun to shut her eyes again, but rather than her lips, she feels a kiss on her forehead.

"Kim Jongin." Jihyun growls, smacking Jongin's arms, frustrated with her close friend.

"Ouch. Lee Jihyun, When did you get stronger?" Jongin muses, rubbing his sore arms.

"Fu*king a*s." Jihyun mumbles, before getting a phone call. The smile on her face falls as the call ends, "I need to go to the company, Congrats, Jong. Have a good honeymoon, bring me back something." Jihyun hurriedly runs out of the garden. 

He stays outside for a few more minutes before heading back. However, he's pulled back and dragged to an empty room and he's slapped across the face.

"I did not raise a cheater, Kim Jongin." His father starts, confusing Jongin with the accusation,

"Byun Baekhyun's fiance." Realization hits and he hurries to clarify the matter. Jongin ends up revealing his past feelings for Jihyun and the initial reasoning behind the marriage.

"Did I force you into this marriage?" His father is heartbroken, sadly looking over his son. But before Jongin can clear up his thoughts, the elder walks out of the room. Jongin feels frustrated as he never wanted to reveal his feelings to Jihyun to his parents.


Heeyoung sends a quick text, walking to the stairs. She's glad to see the familiar face when she gets to the lobby.

"Here." Dr.Yoon passes over her suitcase, he snuck out from Mr.Kim's room.

"Thank you." She nods, looking at him, "Tell your employer to stop playing games and face me."

"Heeyoung." He sighs,

"Why do I bother?" She mumbles, heading to the exit.

"Heeyoung, please take care of yourself. Make sure you eat a lot of blood replenishing foods and get plenty of rest." Dr.Yoon advises.

He watches her get into a taxi, taking a picture of the license plate and heading back to work.


Chanyeol is enjoying a late snack when he gets a notification about his studio/apartment. Worried, he checks the security cameras to see Heeyoung lugging a heavy suitcase inside. He's about to call her, when she sends him a text.

I broke into your hideout. Sorry. ~ Heeyoung 1:47am

Half an hour later, Chanyeol walks in to hear an unfamiliar piano piece. Though her eyes are closed, her fingers effortlessly move around the keys.

He notices the band aid on her arm, making a mental note to ask about it later.

An hour later, the apartment quiets and Chanyeol sets a plate in front of Heeyoung, "Eat!"

After she's done eating, Chanyeol helps her to the sofa, "Why are you not on a plane right now?" He carefully asks,

"We couldn't go." She tiredly answers,

"Let's talk after you've had a good rest." Chanyeol gently smiles,

"Oppa, don't let anyone know I'm here, please." She requests as the bedroom shuts close.

~

Chanyeol calls Jongin, but the latter doesn't answer. He calls Jongdae next, but he doesn't answer either after which he calls Minseok.

Minseok informs Chanyeol about the hospitalization,

"I'll stop by tomorrow morning. Is there anything I can help with right now? Do you need me to bring clothes or food or anything?" Chanyeol asks.

"Can you inform the others? Ask them to keep it between us, we don't need the press getting wind of this." Minseok requests, "Inhee aunty and Jongdae are staying the night."

"What about Jongin and Heeyoung? Do they know?" Chanyeol asks,

"They know." Minseok explains about them suddenly showing up along with Heeyoung's blood donation, to her sudden disappearance and a text informing them she's left.

After the phone call, Chanyeol sends the rest of their friends a simple text, informing them of the situation.

She donated blood and managed to lug her suitcase up the stairs. I'm surprised she's still alive. ~ P.C.Yeol.


Chanyeol leaves Heeyoung breakfast on the table, before heading to the hospital. Mrs.Kim is grateful for them stopping by, even if her husband is still unconscious.

"Do Jongin and Heeyoung know?" Baekhyun asks, as they're gathered outside the room.

"They do. Heeyoung knows someone here and they told her, so she dragged Jongin over." Junmyeon tells him,

"Byun Heeyoung?" The men turn to see a male in scrubs walking towards them,

"Do you know my sister?" Baekhyun asks the doctor.

"You must be Byun Baekhyun. Nice to meet you, I'm Yoon Jaeho, a friend of Hyunjin." Dr.Yoon greets,

"Hello."

"How is she doing? If she's still dizzy, please have her come see me." Dr. Yoon says, worried.

"Dizzy?" Baekhyun asks, confused.

"She fainted after donating blood yesterday and even after resting she felt dizzy." Jaeho informs them, Baekhyun wants to ask more questions but the doctor's pager goes off.

"What's he talking about?" Baekhyun asks the Kims.

"Uncle needed blood and the hospital was running low and Heeyoung is apparently an universal donor." Minseok answers,

"Where is she now?" Baekhyun looks ready to storm off,

"Baekhyun, calm down. She's probably resting at home." Yixing steps in,

"And Jongin?" Kyungsoo asks,

"Who cares about him?" Jongdae snaps, getting into the elevator.

"What happened?" Yixing asks, but the Kims refuse to say another word.

"What's with the weirdness?" Sehun mutters,

Stepping off the elevator, they see Jongin walking through the lobby.

"What's with the bruises?" Sehun asks,

"I fell." Jongin shrugs, heading towards the elevator, but Jongdae steps in front of him,

"Dad is still sleeping. When he wakes up, I'll let you know." Jongdae says, walking back into the elevator with Minseok. The rest of the friends watch on cluelessly, not understanding how the happy relationship between the twins soured in less than 12 hours.

Jongin turns around to the exit, with Sehun following after him.


After returning from the hospital, Chanyeol checks on Heeyoung, to find her napping on the couch with the TV on. He notices the table empty and the dishes drying on the dish rack.

He checks her temperature, making sure she doesn't have a fever or anything, before carrying her to the bedroom.

She woke up and fell back asleep after eating. ~ P.C.Yeol 1:12pm

~

Shutting the cafe down, he heads upstairs, only to be met with silence again. He worries Heeyoung hasn't woken up yet, but it turns out to be false when he sees a tray set on the dining table. Finishing the dinner she left for him, he cleans up and heads off to his studio to sleep for the second night in a row.


Chanyeol wakes up to noises in his kitchen, where Heeyoung is working on breakfast.

"Good morning." She greets, handing him a glass of water while he checks through his messages,

"Jaesuk uncle is awake." Chanyeol informs her as they're eating.

"The others will visit him during their lunch breaks." He says, reading through the incoming texts,

"You aren't?" She asks,

"I need to be at the cafe. I'll visit in the evening." He tells her.

Chanyeol waits for her to talk but the lady keeps quiet, going as far as switching topics whenever he tries bringing it up. He lets it go, not wanting to push too far. After cleaning up, Chanyeol heads downstairs to the cafe. Moments later, Heeyoung follows after him.

"What are you doing?" Chanyeol asks her,

"I'm working." She says, taking his spot behind the register.

"No, you're not. You need to rest, especially after donating blood." Chanyeol states, crossing his arms,

"This is resting. I'm just staying behind the register and taking orders."

"Heeyoung."

"Oppa, please. I rested enough yesterday."

Chanyeol adamantly refuses but after a few minutes of pleading, he has to give in.

"If you get tired or feel sick, leave. Understood." Chanyeol orders, shaking his head as she cheers with the other employee. 

Throughout the day, Chanyeol passes Heeyoung snacks and pulls up a chair behind the register for her. Heeyoung takes advantage of the slow moments, to sneak into the playpens.

Heeyoung finally admits defeat when her legs feel ready to give out and heads upstairs to take a nap.


"We need to stop somewhere, first." Heeyoung tells him, getting into the car.

"Where?"

"The apartment. I need to pick up a few things."

Chanyeol looks curious, seeing Heeyoung walk out with a backpack from her apartment.

She pulls out a small notebook, "This is my mother's, after grandpa had a , she started this post-care journal." Heeyoung says, flipping it open, to read over her mother's writings.

~

Heeyoung clutches the journal, silently following Chanyeol through the hospital as he carries the fruit basket.

"Heeyoung!" Mrs.Kim pulls her for a hug.

Heeyoung gives the elderly couple a small smile while Chanyeol chats with them,

"Aunty, this isn't much but I hope this helps." Heeyoung warily hands Mrs.Kim the notebook,

"Uncle, I'm glad to see you're doing well." She starts, "I'm not sure what happened, but please hear CEO Kim out. He blames himself for your condition and I know that's not true. Sorry if I upset you, but I wish you a healthy recovery."

"Aunty, don't forget to take care of your health as well." She bids the couple good bye, practically running out the room.


"Heeyoung." Dr.Yoon calls, as she's leaning against the wall.

"Doc."

"Visiting the in-laws." She doesn't bother replying.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine. I slept the whole day yesterday."

"Park. Dr.Yoon." Chanyeol smiles, coming to stand beside Heeyoung, ignorant of the look the doctor gives him,

"And you are?" The doctor asks,

"Channie, I'm tired." Heeyoung leans her body against Chanyeol's,

The doctor tries to check on her, but she pushes his hand away.

"Heeyoung." Dr.Yoon looks conflicted as Chanyeol wraps an arm around her shoulder and she has her arm around his back,

"You want to know our relationship." Heeyoung raises an eyebrow, "He's important to me, if your boss tries to touch him, I won't tolerate it." She leaves the doctor staring behind them.

"Are you okay?" Chanyeol worries,

Heeyoung shakes her head, "I'm fine, just wanted to get away from him." She mumbles, stepping into the elevator.

Chanyeol observes her gripping onto the railing,

"Your mom's journal, that's quite thoughtful of you." Chanyeol starts, rubbing circles on her back, trying to distract her from her claustrophobia.

"Oppa, I'm crashing at your place and forcing you out of your room, where's the thoughtfulness?" She breathes a sigh of relief, sprinting out of the elevator,

"I have another bed, but you're parting from your mother's memories."

"Temporarily."

"Still."