~6~

Start of Something New

Minho looked up at the ceiling, his arm on his eyes. Sighing, he thought back to the question that left him stumped. “It’s literally been two days since you’ve met her Minho. Why do you even care so much?” Minho shook his head. Why did he care so much? He thought back to all his chats with Joohyun and realized that he could list off all the physical details about her. He realized her flowy straight hair that was usually down, her sparkling eyes and her open laughter. The more he thought the more he realized that he may have been falling for her. But him? Minho? The most-wanted guys in the  Seoul Performing Arts School was falling for a girl he just met? To a girl he barely knew? Minho sighed and realized that a shower would do him good, and went in.

 

 

In front of her mirror, Joohyun frowned as she realized that the hits she took would leave definite bruises and that she would be sore for a while. A humorless laugh escaped her. All of these hits for a few jealous girls. She couldn’t believe that the pain was caused indirectly by one of her friends. Shaking her head, she groaned. Picking up her phone, she texted Seulgi on what happened and went out to take a shower. Joohyun came back to 4 messages: asking if she was ok, where she was, to send her home address, and asking what type of food she wanted. Joohyun answered, and said that she wasn’t hungry. Around 20 minutes later, she heard her doorbell ring and opened the door to see a frowning Seulgi. In her hands were a box full of fried chicken and more food ingredients.

“I bought fried chicken… You okay?” Seulgi asked, putting down the food. Joohyun nodded, tears welling up in her eyes. She hadn’t thought that her two-day friend would do so much for her.

“Minho told Jackson and Jackson told me. I can’t believe those jealous girls would do that oh my gosh.” Joohyun nodded in understanding and laughed.

“Third day of new school and I’m already getting beat up. Dang, setting a new record..” Joohyun laughed again at the absurdity. It felt so surreal. She was getting beat up for literally talking to a dude that was considered hot in her school. Taking out the chicken box, the smell invaded her nose and then realized how hungry she was. Joohyun digged in with Seulgi, and they talked over what had happened. After a while, Joohyun looked at her clock and realized it was already around 12 pm.

“Hey Seulgi, it’s already really late. Do you want to just stay over?” Seulgi nodded in agreement as she still had her uniform on and she could borrow pajamas from Joohyun.

The next morning, they walked together to the school and separated as the bell rang. In first period, Joohyun sat down at her assigned seat and waited for Minho’s appearance. As she waited, she realized that he wasn’t showing up. Instead, someone else took his seat next to hers and Joohyun frowned. Looking around for him, she realized that he was in the far back and her eyebrows furrowed. Last time, Jackson had sat next to Minho and she looked over to where he sat for the past two days. She realized that Jackson must’ve been at the back with Minho. Was Minho mad at her for what happened after he warned her? Minho felt her gaze and looked up to meet it, and sent her a blank stare that soon turned into an apologetic gaze. Joohyun broke the stare as the teacher began to teach. The bell soon rang and Joohyun made her way over to her second period where she sat with Seulgi. Throughout the class, Joohyun whispered to what happened during first period, and Seulgi  shook her head at Minho’s actions.

Third period hit and Joohyun realized that she would have to be in the same group as Yoojung. Seulgi and Joohyun went and changed clothing for dance. As she walked into the classroom, she collided with Minho.

“Hey Minho.” Joohyun poked his back. Minho turned around and gave her a fleeting smile.

“Everyone get in your groups! Minho’s group come up to meet me.” Mr. Park yelled out. The two girls and two boys walked up to him and waited on his instructions.

“Yoojung transferred out of this class. You guys are going to have to make do with you four. Is that okay?” Mr. Park asked with a frown. Minho and Joohyun looked at each other in surprise and amusement. Minho’s threat really did seem to have an impact overall. Minho looked up and nodded, confirming that they would be okay. Mr. Park dismissed them with a movement of his hand, and they left to work on their dance.

Soon, they were sweating as they continued to map out their couple dancing.They still had around a week left in planning their dance, so they weren’t as stressed as some other teams where they realized a person was far behind in their foundational basic dance moves. As they moved to the beat of the couple dance, Joohyun realized that Minho was really far away from her, keeping his distance even when they needed to be closer to make it look good. Joohyun stuck more to him trying to close the distance and make it look smoother, only to have Minho step away to create distance between them again.

The other pair noticed it too, and Jackson decided to ask him.

“Minho is Joohyun sick or something why are you so far away from he- oh” Jackson realized as Minho gave him a blank stare. Minho already told Jackson about what happened and how he felt confused on his feelings towards Joohyun. Minho couldn’t believe that Jackson made it that obvious when pointing it out and shook his head in slight betrayal.

Joohyun’s eyebrows furrow, realizing that there was something she didn’t know. Sighing to herself, she realized that the things that were kept from her were like that for a certain reason. Looking at Minho one more time in the eye, Joohyun was asking for an invitation, a confirmation of what Minho wanted. Minho stared back with a blank stare and blinked.

“Okay.” Joohyun whispered. Her asking by looking in his eyes weren’t only asking about the dance, but asking to confirm his feelings. Little did Joohyun know, he was fighting his own confusion on his feelings. Jackson and Seulgi shared a look a of exasperation. They knew Minho liked her and Joohyun was interested in him as well but the two didn’t want to be the first one to make a move.

“Let’s start from the top guys.” Joohyun broke the silence that was starting to form. As the music started, their bodies moved to the beat, and soon started coupling up. After another run through, the bell rang, signaling the end of class. Shaking the sweat that formed, Minho headed into the guy’s locker room.

“Hey dude, I’m having a party this weekend.” Jackson slung his arm around Minho, smiling at him.

“I know you’re under stress just come and party it out.” Jackson said with a smile. Minho laughed at the thought of playing with girls and letting himself go.