CHAPTER 5 – NEW PEOPLE

Show me the light

Poke* Poke*

I felt something poking my cheek interrupting my dream or rather a nightmare. I opened my eyes and saw a white ceiling ‘Oh right I fell asleep after Kyungsoo left.’

Poke*

Huh? I turned to my left to see what was poking me only to sit up quickly in shock. It wasn’t a thing rather it was a boy. Big eyes, pale skin, blonde hair, cute button nose, was this really a boy or a girl?

“Hi! You are finally awake! Kyungsoo didn’t let me in until you wake up and this morning he told me that you finally had woken up so here I am!” His voice was a little too deep for a girl so I concluded that this is indeed a boy.

This boy has too much energy’ His eyes sparkled for some unknown reason and he looked like a kid who had too much sugar. I just looked at him waiting for him to calm down.

“Your name is Yin right?! Let’s go eat breakfast so we can play after that! Come on let’s go go go!” He didn’t seem to calm down because he started jumping from excitement. As he saw that I didn’t move he reached out to grasp my hand and pull me with him.

“Come on let’s -” The moment he touched my wrist I immediately pulled away, my breathing started to accelerate and my vision went blurry for a while, I could hear screams all around me and people saying ‘It’s your fault!’ all around me, I needed to breathe, I was going to die my heart was going too fast to be normal.

I don’t know how long I was like that but when I calmed down I heard Kyungsoo’s voice, I opened my eyes that I didn’t even know I closed them; I saw an unknown face in front of mine, Instinctively I backed away a little trying to figure out who this man was. He had brown hair, eyes that looked like he was tired and when he smiled at me I notice a dimple on his left cheek.

“Hi, I’m Lay it seems that you had a panic attack but you're alright now.” Lay had a kind smile on his face when he talked to me. I saw kyungsoo and the other boy was hiding behind him. ‘I think I scared him’.

“Yin I’m sorry if Luhan did something wrong, sometimes he acts like a child and doesn’t understand the concept of personal space.” Kyungsoo pulled the boy that was hiding behind him so that he was facing me now.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. I just got excited that we had a visitor and wanted to play.” Luhan looked like he was about to cry any moment now. ‘Poor kid it wasn’t his fault I am just messed up.’

I looked at Kyungsoo and pointed with my hands toward the notebook from last night hoping he would get the message that I wanted to say something.

“Oh, here you go.”  I gave Kyungsoo a polite smile while opening the notebook and starting to write.

‘It’s ok Luhan, I’m sorry I scared you I just don’t like people touching me suddenly. It’s nice to meet you and I’ll play with you once we are done with breakfast ok? It’s nice to meet you too Lay.” I turned the notebook towards them so they could read it and I swear that I saw Luhan’s face lit up like the Christmas tree that we use to have in the orphanage, even if I only saw it from afar,  I wasn’t allowed to go near it until Christmas was over.

“Well then let's go downstairs, breakfast is ready!” Kyungsoo grabbed Luhan's arm and pulled him out of the room towards the kitchen I guess.

“Yin before we go I just need to make sure you are alright, I’m the doctor of the house and I’m the one who treated you while you were out of it. I have a few questions I would like to ask, is that alright?” Lay pulled a chair next to the bed and crossed his legs, even if his pose made me feel scared, he reminded me of the ‘doctors’ that I would visit when I was a child, the orphanage would send me to them every day because apparently, I was sick, even if I didn’t feel that way.

Just as my anxiety was creeping on me, Lay smiled and suddenly everything as alright and I felt calm. I could see that he didn’t mean any harm. So nodded my head to tell him that I was ok with him asking questions.

“Ok if there is any question that you don’t want to answer just say so and I’ll ask something else. First, do you feel any kind of pain anywhere?”

‘No, my head hurt for a bit but its gone now; I do feel a little tired but that’s about it.’

“Feeling tired is normal after having an attack like that so don’t worry it’ll go away after you rest sometime. Do you remember what happened to you?” I did but I didn’t know who to explain all of it to him.

‘Yes, I helped Kai with his wound and went fishing for some food; when I came back there was this man was yelling and looking for Kai, he treated me to tell him where he was but I was scared so I didn’t answer so he got angrier and pushed me aside; that when I saw Kai hiding  in the bathroom and I just tried to help him get out but just as we were close to the door that man wrapped a chain around my right ankle pulling us back. Kai had mentioned that he had friends that were close and looking for him so I pushed him out the door so he could go to his friends but the man got really angry, he said that I was going to pay for what I did and that’s where I was being suffocated by chains. I really thought I was dead but I heard Kai’s voice; He and his friends saved me from death’s door. I really am thankful.’

“I have to say thank you for saving Kai, he is always getting in trouble but I’m glad he met a kind soul like you. Why did you decide to sacrifice yourself instead of Kai, who was a stranger to you?”

‘Wouldn’t call it a sacrifice, it was a logic decision he had friends and family to get back to, he is wanted and love here so I couldn’t put my life over his. I don’t have something like that.’

“I won’t pry into your past, I can see that it’s uncomfortable for you to talk about; but even if you say stuff like that, Kai went back for you right? That means he cared for you enough to save you and bring you here so I could treat you.”

I know that he is trying to cheer me up but I know that that is not the case.

‘Thank you for your words but I know that Kai only did that because I helped him before so he was just repaying the favor.”

“Yin… well, I think this is enough for now, let's go down to eat.” Lay stood up and walked to the door looking back to smile at me and wave his hand in a motion that said ‘come on’.

I stood up and went with him out the door with my notebook in my arms. The corridor was wide and the walls were a pearly white, there were doors left and right; each one had a different color to it and a name plaque next to it. I was trying to look for Kai’s but Lay told me that we had to walk down the stairs, I didn’t even notice the staircase to my right. I followed behind Lay in silence taking n the interior of the house. It was beautiful and simple, everything was white, gray, silver or black except for the doors upstairs. When we got to the kitchen I was shocked about the size of it, it was very spacious; there is a big window on top of the sink where you can see the woods, at my left there is a big fridge and an oven, to my left there is the stove and a few cabinets next to it, In the middle of it all was a small table and three chairs. It was beautiful.

“Took you guys long enough! Come on let's eat! Kyungsoo made pancakes!” Luhan was already sitting on one of the chairs bitting a piece of pancake he looked like a little kid it was cute. I smiled and made I way to the chair next to his, putting my notebook and pen aside Kyungsooo gave my a plate of pancakes.

“Hope you like them” Kyungsoo smiled at me and went to get Lay and his plate taking a sit in front of me.

We ate in comfortable silence until Luhan started talking and joking about everything making Kyungsoo and Lay laugh I just smiled and continue eating. It’s the first time in my life that I eat with this many people and have fun.