CHAPTER 2 – THE INCIDENT

Show me the light

I walked in the principal’s office, the first thing that I noticed was the smell, it was a mix of cigarettes and alcohol.  It was pretty bad so I unconsciously winced as I made my way through the room.

There was a red couch that occupied most of the room in the center, a small table in the far left that had a few bottles of what I think was alcohol, and then there was the desk, it was pretty big and occupied half the wall it was facing the door and behind the desk was that man in a big chair.

The light was turned off, the only light that was coming into the room was through the big window behind the principal’s desk.

“Ahh... Yin, please have a seat.” The principal gestured to a small chair in front of the desk, it looked as if it would break any moment now, but I still went and sat down.

“I see you aren’t talking yet. Have you not made any progress with getting your voice back?” The principal stood up and walked around the desk towards me while saying that. I have a very bad feeling about this.

“You know you are 16 now, you are not a child anymore so, as you know, we don’t have any young adults in our institution. Of course, because of your problem, we are still looking out for you but I think it’s time that you apart something into the table you know?” My heart was beating faster and faster every time he got a step closer to me, by the time he was standing in front of me I thought I would have a heart attack.

“With your small frame I don’t think you could do much though but don’t worry I have thought about the perfect job for you and even though it will be hard at first I think you’ll get used to it very quickly.”

I didn’t know what he was talking about at this point but the way his hand caressed my hair and the way he smirked at me all of me was in high alert, my body responded before I could even think about it. I stood up and ran towards the door, of course, I couldn’t make it. I felt a hard tug in my head and next thing I knew I was on the floor and this man had his hand in my hair pulling and dragging me to the couch. I tried to get away turning and twisting my body trying to grab anything that would help me get away from this man.

“You think that I would let you get away just like that? I waited for this day ever since you were 12, I must say that watching you grow into this lovely lady was a bit frustrated but it was worth it.” He had thrown me to the couch by the time he finished his words. I couldn’t hear him that well because my mind was in a panic, I had to do something and get away. I was crying and my mouth was open as if I was screaming but no sound came out.

“I must say that it is going to be a shame that I won’t hear your screams and moans as I am screwing you but it’s ok because then no one will come to your rescue, although I bet that even if the sisters or kids heard you screaming they wouldn’t even bother.”

I stopped moving as he said that. It was true, no one would help me even if I beg and beg no one would care enough to help me. I don’t have anyone… I’m just a burden… I’m no one… I… should just….die.

“HAHA, I see you finally realize that you’re not worth nothing.”

I…. am….. not … worth… not-

I suddenly saw my memories flash through my eyes like photographs, when I was pushed around as a kid by others, when I was chain to the basement wall for 4 days as punishment, sleeping on the cold floor, trying to survive in the hell hole. I don’t know exactly what happened next I just felt a lot of energy being expelled from my body, the man that was on top of me suddenly was gone and I heard screams and a loud BANG and I saw the sky above me, it was beautiful with stars everywhere, it was really bright even though it was kind of dark.

Hmm… a storm is approaching I guess but now I’m free. That was my last thought as I fell into darkness.

2 YEARS LATER

I remember that when I woke up that night I saw everything around me destroyed, I saw bodies covered in blood all over the floor of the orphanage, I also had blood over me, must have been that mas blood. Even as I saw all that horror I felt calm it was as if I was suddenly released from these imaginary chains around me that tied me to that place. I was free.

I remember walking away before the cops and firemen came, I wasn’t going to tell them that it was my entire fault that the kids are dead; they would just lock me up for life. I was now free so I can finally live.

I kept walking until I found my new home, it was an abounded building in the middle of the mountain, no one could bother me here and I couldn’t hurt anyone here too.

2 years later I am walking from the river towards my home, I caught two big fish for dinner today. I was thinking about how to cook them when I reach the entrance of my home; I suddenly stopped dead in my tracks. There was a body down on the floor just an inch away from the door.

I was about to run away but I saw blood coming underneath the body. Next thing I knew I was running towards the body thinking how to get him inside, as I got closer I notice it was a boy and he had a bid gash on his chest.

I’m only helping him because I’ve already seen too many people die; I’m not going to increase the amount by one. At least that was what I was telling myself as I carefully dragged the boy towards a mattress in the corner of my living room, really there were just that mattress and a small table beside it. I quickly ran to my bathroom to get the scissors so I could cut open his shirt and the first aid kit. I ran back to him and started working to save this guy that I knew nothing about.