CHAPTER 1 – The beginning

Show me the light

C-Cold…

 That is the first thought that goes through my mind when I wake up. I wish I could keep my eyes closed so that I didn’t have to face the reality of my life right now, but if I don’t get up now the Sisters are going to get mad at me again.

With a heavy sigh, I open them and I am greeted by darkness, it takes me a few seconds to get used to it and I can see a bowl with a single piece of bread in front of me. ‘I’ve most have passed out before I could even take a bite.’ I turn to my right so that I was now facing the ceiling but as my back touched the ground I felt an intense pain shoot up my back but I didn’t even move an inch, to use to the pain already.

Sister XiFeng was really mad that I broke a glass in front of some guested yesterday, she said that I was going to ruin the chance of Tao having a family, I really don’t want that, Tao is an adorable kid just 5 years old, he deserves a family that loves him. In the end, the couple did take Tao into their little family so I guess everything is going to be fine for him now.

I got up from my ‘bed, it was just a blanket and a pillow on the floor really but still it was my little bed and I preferred that to nothing. I walked to a pile of clothes on the left corner of my room, it took me exactly 5 steps to reach one side of the room to another, it was really small but I loved it because it was mine.

I grabbed a T-shirt and some random pants that were a little too big for me, but then again I was too skinny for any clothes that I had. I put them in the chair that was next to the pile of clothes, it was the only real piece of furniture that I had and even then I only got to keep it because it was broken and nobody wanted the poor chair.

I sigh again as I remove my dirty shirt feeling my back hurt once again. I finished dressing up, putting my dirty pajamas in the same pile of clothes as before. Walking out of my room I realize that the sun was already up so that meant I took too long to wake up and change if I don’t hurry and make breakfast the sisters are going to be mad again and I don’t want another whooping right now.

I hurried to the kitchen and started to make breakfast, just when I was done I heard the kids running to the dining table and then I heard the sisters telling them to be quiet and slow down. I just finished putting the last plate on the table when I heard Yuen yelling something.

“Eww! Dirt girl is still here!” Everyone called me that but I don’t mind, I’m used to it by now.

“She’s going to dirty our food!” another kid yelled at the sister so they would do something.

Just as I was about to move so I could get out of the dining table sister Zhu said in a low voice:

“Get out.” I hurriedly got out of the room before anything else happened. I waited just outside the door just in case they needed anything. If they called me and I wasn’t immediately there I would get punished.

After an hour I heard them get up and saw them walking through the door towards the playground, that was my cue to go and clean up the dining table.

Just as I was drying my hands after washing all the plates I heard Sister XiFeng say to me

“The principal wants to see you in his office now.” I was shocked because the principal had never spoken to me, I just remember that when I was little he would look at me with disgust and hatred, although as I grew older he also had this weird face when he saw me that made me feel uncomfortable but other than that I never interacted with him so I don’t know why he would be looking for me now.

“Did you hear me?! He wants to see you NOW.” Sister XiFeng said again.

“So now she’s not only mute but deaf too? Ugh, you are useless.” Sister Zhu joined in and sister XiFeng rolled her eyes at me and walked away with sister Zhu. I wasn’t really mute I just couldn’t speak because of an accident that happened years ago. The shock left me with no voice and to be honest I didn’t even want to speak again.

 I recovered from my shock and went directly to his office that was at the very end of the hallway on the second floor. As I was climbing up the stairs I ran through my head all the possible reasons why the principal would want to see me but even after I was standing in front of the door of his office I couldn’t come up with an answer so I just shook the thought away and knocked the door twice.

  I heard a deep and nasty voice say ‘Come in!’ and even if I felt as a shiver ran through my body I took a deep breath and walked right in.