CHAPTER 3 – THE GUY

Show me the light

I don’t know how many hours it took me to properly clean and bandage this guy but I was exhausted by the time I finished. I cleaned up the living room and bought a few pillows and blankets to cover him with. I also got a few pillows and blankets for myself, I sat down on the blanket I laid down beside the mattress the boy was sleeping on and tried to rest.

“Ugh...” I heard a groan beside me and I stood up quickly, alert to see what the danger was.

“Dam... where am I?” I realize that it was the boy that was still laying down on the mattress trying to get up that was making the noise.

I saw as he sat up and opened his eyes quickly searching any indication of where he was, I giggled because he didn’t even notice me standing beside him but the next second I stopped because it was as if he heard me giggling and immediately looked at me, it was kind of scary and amusing at the same time because there was no way he heard me, I’m mute after all, but still he was staring at my eyes.

“Who are you?” It took him a couple of minutes to finally say something to me, I guess he was determined to see if I was a threat or not.

“…..” I just looked at him in the eyes and crooked my head slightly to my right trying to think about how the hell I was going to communicate with him.

“Did you do this?” He said as he looked at the bandages across his chest, he was about to touch them when I suddenly grabbed his hand to stop him. He looked surprised for a second it was kind of funny to see his eyes widen. I frowned and shook my head as I pointed to the bandages, it seems he got the idea because he didn’t try to touch them again.

“So you won’t speak to me? Or are you mute?” He asked me as he smiled like a child. I guess he determined that I was no threat to him.

I walked away from him and was about to go towards the door when a hand stopped me. I freaked out and pushed him as hard as I could, my breathing started to be irregular and my hands started to shake.

“…I’m sorry... I just wanted to know where you were going. I didn’t mean to scare you.” I took deep breaths and calmed myself down.

“My name’s Kai by the way,” Kais said with a gentle voice that made me smile a little. I turned to him and pointed towards the door in front of us and then towards his stomach hoping he would understand.

“Oh, you are going to get food? For me?” Kai looked a little shocked but immediately covered his face with a smile. I only nodded my head once and walked towards the door, just before I closed the door I turned to look at him once more.

“Hm?” I pointed at him and then at the mattress as to say that he should lay down and rest. Which reminds me, how the hell did he get up so fast when he tapped my shoulder? Oh well, whatever.

“Haha ok, I’ll wait for you here then.” Kai chuckled as he went to lay down. I closed the door behind me and started to walk towards the river, as I looked down I saw the fish that I caught yesterday, they were dirty and apparently, some insects had a bite of them. Oh well, I’ll just go and catch some more.

I got to the river in no time and soled up my pants up to my knees so that I could get inside the water. These two years I’ve realized that ‘energy’ that I felt back then was actually coming from my body it looks like a white translucent light and apparently I can control it but I’m still trying to keep it from hurting people or me. Every time I overuse it I get killer headaches or a nosebleed. I once saw a baby deer hurt near the building I remember going close to the poor baby and wishing to help him heal or at least stop the bleeding on his left leg, the deer was terrified and I got the shock of my life when this translucent light shot out of my hand and surrounded the deer’s leg, I watched as it healed slowly but before it could completely heal the deer ran away, I also remember how that affected my body, I got a small wound on my left leg as I was healing the deer so I assume that whenever I use this ‘thing’ to heal someone I get the same wound as them or at least to some extend unfortunately I haven’t been able to test my theories just yet.

As I stood in the middle of the small river I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I felt the way the water moved across my legs and how the fish were avoiding them. Then I imagined the light surrounding my legs, getting bigger and bigger just enough so that I could attract a few fish: I imagined the light surround those few fish and opened my eyes, liking down I saw 4 fish trying to swim away but couldn’t because my light thing was holding them there, I quickly grabbed them and walked away from the water. I sat down on the grass a few feet away from the river to try and catch my breath: using this ‘power’ really takes a toll on me.

As I felt ok again I stood up and started walking towards the house. I wonder if Kai likes to fish. Should I make fish soup? Or something else?

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn’t even realize that I was already home, I was about to walk inside when I hear a loud crash from inside. Panic when through my mind as I immediately ran inside, the first thing I saw was the mattress where Kai was sleeping was empty.

Was he ok? Did he get up? Did someone break in? Did Kai saw them? Did they hurt him?

I really don’t know why I was so concern about him, I mean I just meet him yesterday, maybe it was because he was the first person to talk to me in these whole two years or maybe it was the way he smiled at me so kindly, no trace of disgust or pity in his eyes, either way, I realize at that moment that I didn’t want to be alone anymore and if Kai was willing we could even be frie-

“Where is that brat?!” My train of thought was caught off by a deep voice coming from my back. It sent shivers down my spine. I didn’t dare to turn around and see who was speaking I could already imagine he was terrifying.

“Don’t make me repeat myself! His scent is all over here! Where is he?!” I felt a tug on my left arm, it was harsh but I didn’t move, I couldn’t even if I wanted to I was paralyzed with fear.

“Tch. This is useless, I’ll find him myself!” The man threw me on the floor as if I was nothing, well I don’t really look like I could do any dame to him even if I tried.

I saw him making a mess in my living room and kitchen and as he walked by the bathroom door I saw that it was very slightly opened. Kai! I thought as I saw movement through the door.

Like I said before maybe it was because I finally got someone to talk to, some one that didn’t judge me and who I could possibly be friends with in the long run that I had this urge to protect him, to make sure he didn’t disappear so maybe that’s why when I saw the man walk closer to the bathroom door I got up and ran into him trying to knock him down, I actually managed to do that probably because the man didn’t expect it but either way I had to act quickly if I wanted Kai to get out of there.

I pushed the door open with my foot and saw Kai holding the scissors in one hand he was ready to attack but he saw that it was just me so he froze; I think he is just as shocked as the man that I tackled

“What-?” I saw the man recovering from the shock, I had to act quickly!

I grabbed Kai from his left arm and dragged him out of the bathroom; he seems to have gotten the idea because a second later he was the one dragging me trying to reach the front door.

“My friends are close, just a few more minutes and they’ll be here. So don’t wor-“

“STUPID BRAT!” I felt something pull me away from Kai it was cold against my right ankle, it was holding me back. I looked down quickly and saw it was a metal chain. Where did he get this from?! I felt Kai pulling me towards the door; we were almost out but the man kept pulling me back.

“! I don’t have much energy left and I need to give my friends at least a signal towards where we are or else they are never going to find us!” Kai was frowning and as I looked at his chest I saw that the bandages were starting to change color from white to red. His wound opened!

I only had one second to think about it but one look at Kai’s face was enough for me to decide. This man is still young and has friends that are looking for him; they are probably very worried about him. I on the other hand… no one would care if something was too happened to me.

I grabbed his hand, the one that was holding my arm and when he looked at me confused I just smiled at him. At least in my last days, I got to know someone who could smile warmly at me. He must have known what I was about to do because he opened his mouth to say something but it was too late. I pushed him as hard as I could so he would be outside of the building, so he could run away towards his friends. The last thing I saw was his worried face just before the door closed and I got harshly pulled back.