CHAPTER 4 – THE PACK

Show me the light

“You stupid little ! I’ll make you pay for what you’ve done!” I felt the man grab my hair and pulled my face to make me look at him. To say that I was terrified was an understatement, I wanted to get away so badly but I couldn’t he wrapped chains all around my body I felt like I was being suffocated as if a snake was killing its prey by wrapping its body around them.

“Here I will make you wish that you were never born.” The man laughed manically as the chains were strangling me. I thought that I heard a faint howl but I think it was just the lack of oxygen in my brain, after all, there were no wolfs in this area. I felt a hard slap on my face as he threw my body to the floor.

It was getting hard to breath I just hopped Kai had gotten away from here and was now reunited with his friends. This must be karma getting to me, I killed so many innocent lives and now I’m about to die in the horrible place where I bet nobody would find me. I closed my eyes as I felt darkness start to consume me, I didn’t want to see this crazy man’s eyes as the last thing on this earth so I tried to imagine Kai’s smile one last time. I wish I could have said thank you at least once.

*BANG*

The loud noise and the sudden air that rushed through my lungs were the only things I could register as I was frozen in shock. Had I died?

“Miss! Miss! They’re here! My friends are here! Don’t close your eyes! Stay with me!” Kai? So I had not died? Kai’s friends?

I opened my eyes and I saw Kai’s face of relief. Did he come back to save me? But that man… he has powers! His friends are in danger! They need to get out! I panicked and was about to get up to warn them but apparently, Kai had other plans.

“Shhh... don’t worry Miss my friends are very skilled and powerful they’ll be alright. I’ll introduce them to you later; first I need to get you out of here.” I felt as he carried me out of my once called home, I guess I’ll never be back here again. Kai ran through the trees as fast as he could, I could see he was frowning, maybe because I am heavy.

“We are almost there Miss, ok? So don’t close your eye-”Kai's voice sounded far away and my eyes felt heavy, even if I wanted to do as he told me so I couldn’t keep my eyes opened and so I was surrounded by darkness once again.

 

 

 

Hot… I feel hot… why? Ugh, my head hurts… what happened?

GASP* Kai!

I immediately open my eyes just to find myself sitting on a bed… in a room, I don’t recognize at all. What in the world happened? I looked at my hands and saw some yellowish bruises on them. The chains! So it really wasn’t a dream, I didn’t die. Looks like they’ve healed well, how long was I asleep for? I still have the same clothes on but I kind of stink a little. The last thing I remember is Kai carrying me to somewhere.

I tried to get out of the bed so I could at least go to the bathroom if I could ever find it, there were three doors in this room and one of them has to be the bathroom door! As I put my feet down on the floor and tried to push myself up I got really dizzy and my legs wobbled for a while, at least I didn’t fall flat on my face.

I waited a few seconds to make my head stop spinning, when it did I took a good look around the room. It was pretty empty, the walls were all white and there was only a bed in the right corner, a small glass table in the middle of the room and a small black sofa next to it; it didn’t smell like anything it was weird as if no had been here for years. I decided to go to the first door that was right in front of me hoping it was the bathroom but when I opened it was just a small walk-in closet but it was empty which was weird but it doesn’t matter.

I closed the door an went towards the 3rd door that was located on the opposite side, just right next to the bed. Luckily this was the door to the bathroom, as I stepped in the lights by themselves which made me jump a little, there was a mirror to my right and a toilet on the left side then there was another door but it was almost see-through, that must be where the shower is. I quickly finished my business there and decided to go out of the room to find Kai or whoever is that lives here.

As I was about to open the door  I stopped to think about what was going on, it seems like the events that happened before are finally catching up to me. Did Kai really bring me here? Or was the man that tried to kill me the one how lives here?  Are his friends alright? I know he said that they were powerful but that man had abilities that I have never seen before, but then again I’ve never been close to anyone so I wouldn’t know if those kinds of thing are normal.

I decided to just stop thinking and go out to find someone or maybe I should just go and start looking for a new home; I can’t possibly go back to that building. With a heavy sigh, I grabbed the door handle and turned it only to fall backward in shock.

Apparently, a man was opening the door too from the other side, his face appeared so suddenly that I jumped back only to stumble on my feet and fall down flat on my .

“OMG! I’m so sorry I didn’t know you were there.” I looked at the man’s face after my slight shock went away; He has really big eyes I thought for a second there that his eyes would bulge out but that’s obviously not possible, still even with those eyes he was … cute, he reminded me of an animal but I don’t know which one. The man had a tray in his hands with what I assume to be medicine? I quickly stood up and bowed to him; I moved aside so he could pass.

“It’s good that you are awake, it’s been 4 days since Jong in brought you here.” The man put the tray down on the glass table and turned to look at me. Who is Jongin? And it’s been 4 days since then?! I must have been really tired because I’ve never been asleep for that long.

“Ah, Jongin is Kai’s real name but don’t tell him that I told you, he doesn’t really like that name.” Ah, so he meant Kai, well it’s not like I could tell him anything anyway.

“…”

“…”

I just looked at him waiting for him to say something else or do something. This was getting awkward really fast, should I just leave?

“Oh! I’m Kyungsoo by the way; nice too meet you miss...” I think Kyungsoo was waiting for my reply, did Kai not tell them that I can’t speak? I just tilted my head slightly and pointed at my throat then making an X sign with my figures hoping he could understand.

“Is your throat hurting?” Kyungsoo asked looking concerned and I must admit that he did look cute but I shook my head and pointed at my throat again hoping this time he could get it.

“AH! You can’t speak?” I nodded my head with a small smile as a thank you for understanding.

“Well let me get some paper and pen so we can talk. The guys are out right now, they went to get our leader back from a tip a few days back so I think they will be here by tomorrow.” As Kyungsoo left the room to go get something for me to write on I took the liberty to sit on the couch and look at the tray that he put there.

There was a small note that said:

“Red pill 1 every 12 hours, white pill only when she awakes (2) and yellow pill only every 2 days only if she has NOT woken up.” So I guess they had to crush and mix the pills in my IV when I was asleep because I saw the IV next to the bed and the tray had a small plate and what seems like a small rock to crush things with. There was also a glass of water next to the pills so I guess I should just take them? I grabbed a red pill and two white ones and quickly swallowed them with water. Eww, I hate pills.

Just as I finished drinking the water Kyungsoo came back with a pen and a notebook.

“I see you took your medicine, good. Here this will help us communicate.” He gave me the pen and notebook while sitting down on the sofa with me.

“So we have a lot to talk about but first things first.  What’s your name? I mean Jongin has been calling you miss ever since he brought you here but I don’t think that is your real name.” He gave me a soft smile.

‘Yin’ I wrote down and showed it to him.

“That’s a cute name, so how did you meet Jong in? He really didn’t tell us anything except that we had to help you heal because he owed you one.”

‘I found Kai on my doorstep; he had a big wound on his chest so I took him in and tried to patch him up. Is he ok? Are his other friends ok?’ With everything going on I almost forgot that I didn’t know if Kai or his friends were ok. Kyungsoo looked at the writing and then looked at me with a serious face. Oh no, are they hurt?! Did something bad happen to them?  Did they not make-

“They are fine, Jong in is also ok now. I have to say that it does bother me that a defenseless girl like you would just help a man she doesn’t even know just like that, you should be more careful but even so, I want to thank you for helping my brother out, I know he can be a real idiot sometimes.”

Kyungsoo smiled at me when he said that. I guess I was just worried about nothing; well I’m glad that they are ok.

‘You are brothers?’

“Ah yes and no, well we are not really related but because we all live in this house and we know each other for so long we just think of each other as brothers, although we might call Suho mom because he acts like one.” I don’t know who Suho is but he must be a nice person if everyone calls him mom, but then again I don’t even know what a mother is.

‘I wanted to say thank you to Kai before I left but you said he is not here so would you please tell him instead?’ I really wanted to see his face once again before our paths separated but it seems that is not possible. Even if I don’t want to go I can’t be a bother to this family, my destiny is to live alone.

“Hm? You are planning to leave right now?” I nodded my head once.

“Well I’m sorry but you can’t leave, first of all, Xiumin wants to meet you, after all, you have been here for 4 days and besides if I let you leave now Jongin would have a fit and believe me that is not a pretty sight to see.” I giggled a little just imagining Kai throwing a fit like a baby.

‘Who is Xiumin? Why does he want to meet me?’ I was honestly a little confused about the whole situation but at the same time I didn’t really care, it’s not like I’m going to be friends with everybody here, although I would have loved to be Kai’s friend he belongs here and … I am just an outsider.

“Xiumin is our leader he wasn’t here when all the trouble with Kai happened because he was away for business but Kai and the rest of them went to inform him about what happened but don’t worry he is very kind even if he is kind of scary sometimes.”

I don’t know what to think about all of this, I mean I think this is probably the first time someone is so kind to me, well except Kai.

“Yin if you don’t mind me asking why did you do it? Why did you help a complete stranger? Why would you throw away your life for someone you don’t even know?” Kyungsoo looked confused and a little bit sad.

‘Well I have seen people die before and I didn’t want Kai to be one more; Kai told me that he had friends that were looking for him, he had a home to get back to, people that care for him and love him; I don’t have that so the answer was actually really simple.’

It was strange when Kyungsoo read the last few lines it was as if he didn’t believe it so he read it a few times over and each time his face was expressing a new feeling; surprise, confusion, disbelieve, sadness, anger and then his face went blank.

“You should probably get some more rest, its 10 pm and tomorrow will be a tough day. Goodnight Yin” He didn’t say anything else; he just got up and left the room. I made me feel a little lonely; I must have done something wrong after all he got angry with me like always I’m just a nuisance.

I got up from the sofa and went straight to bed; I didn’t want to think anymore if I did I would just get more and more depressed.