Academia

Gone

"So its up for today?", he asks over the phone. She cant help but to feel giddy.

"Yes!", heart emoji.

It all started some time in April. They met on the school chat, well is not from the school, but is one of those sites all the young people use. He is older than her, much older, not old, but enough to set alarms on his cop fathers head. Thats why he doesnt know about Dowon, who is 22, while her, Yeri, Min Yeri is 15...going on 16 ok?

Anyway, theyve been meeting since may. He is perfect and a gentleman, she dreams of him, she thinks of him. She is proud of herself because shes got a whole oppa to herself, not like her friends and their 17 year old boyfriends. He takes her to places by the hand and buys stuff for her. She is  living her best life and neither one of her parents have any idea. But is not like she doesnt want to tell them, just that she knows that she has been raised well and she will show them when she introduce him to them in two years, because he said hed wait for her. Because, you guys, this is real love and she is lucky to have found such a good man.

____________

"So you had to stay in guard or something?", Sooyoung asks at breakfast.

"Yeah something like that", Seulgi answers.

"And now you have to go back to work? Isnt it unfair?", the younger sister asks.

"Well its the real world, people cant baby you all the time. Plus, bull and crime doesnt just stop happening you know?"

"You have a terrible temper..thats why youre single. Gosh", she stands up and continues to do her make up. Seulgi gets her shoes and gun and leaves.

_______________

"Oh look, someone is asking me who am I and what year I went to the academy", Joongkook says the next morning, phone in hand.

"Let me see babe", Sehun gets the phone. "What? Its Kyungsoo hyung! Baekhyun hyung was right!", he smiles. Kyungsoo used to be Baekhyuns roommate but left upon Taehyungs arrival. They are great friends, they were actually roommates throughout university as well. "Uhm...Ill talk to him later", Sehun hands back the phone.

"Why cant I ask him?", Jongkook says.

"I dont want you spying for me love", he smiles.

"What do you want to know though?"

"If Kim Jongdae went there too"

"But Baekhyun hyung shouldve known him...they are the same age arent they?", he has a point.

"Yeah...then he didnt go, because Hyung said that he doesnt remember his name..."

_____________________

"Thank you for your time mister Cho", Yoongi says.

"I want to help...Im sorry I wasnt in the country. Please have a seat", Cho Kyuhyun offers. "Are there any new news about Jongdae?....Is so unfortunate", he laments.

"It is and there no news really. Just a lot of leads that we need to follow", the guy nods.

"Since when do you know each other?", Seulgi takes her notepad out and a pen.

"We met at Seoul Arts Academy. He was a junior and we went in choir together. He is really good".

"You kept in touch even after it all ended..."

"Yes, a group of us kept in touch...but I guess we became closer since I travel to China frecuently. I know his husband and his kids....", he sighs sadly. "Those kids are his life, his family is...I cant....I cant think of anybody that would want to hurt him, them", he looks like he is about to cry.

"Do you have business in China?"

"No, I have a place at the Taiwan International Academy of the Arts. I teach there twice a month, I have a contract".

"You said that a group of you keep in touch, who else is in this group, Bae Joo Hyun?"

"Yes and a couple of others as well...Uhmm..."

"Can you make us a list of said group?"

"Uhm, of course..."

"The day he went missing he was on his way to a highschool reunion, your academy wasnt a high school right?"

"A high school reunion? I thought he was only meeting with us. Our academy was higher level, not a high school. I dont know any of his high school classmates...I...he never talked about high school or teenage...."

____________

So Kim Jongdae was lying or had secrets, or he was lying because he had secrets.

His highschool is not one regular. The International Korean Academy is an elite school for the kids of politicians and other rich people, koreans and rich immigrants, children of CEOs and foreign military personel. They have waay to many rules to prevent issues with the privacy of their students. They are powerful and think that cops are some lower level people. 

"My name is Lee Jaehwan. Im in charge of Alumni affairs", affairs.

"We are here about Kim Jongdae", Seulgi says.

"Oh yes. Jongdae, his family called. We will cooparate in whichever way we can", the man is tall and graceful. 

"Did you know Jongdae? Were you classmates?"

"No, but I know Minseok. Him and I were classmates", they enter to a fancy office. They feel in Europe.

"This is a nice office. Do you have that much work with former students?", Yoongi asks.

"Well, detective, is not all about parties and reunions. This office manages donations and recomendations as well", Seulgi writes down.

"So..back to the topic at hand. Did you know that Kim Jongdaes classmates were preparing a highschool reunion? Did the academy organized it?"

"What date?"

"He told his family that he was meeting former classmates...from higschool a week ago"

"Our summer meeting was at the end of June, just like every year. The next one is near the year end. If they were planning to meet, it was on their own accord", he says matter-of-factly.

"We are gonna need a list of classmates"

"Of course", he opens a drawer. "Ive prepared one already", he smiles.

_______________

"Its like 40 people"

"Any of them ring a bell?"

"Are you kidding me? Its full of Lees and Kims....Wait", Seulgi tries to read with the car moving.

"What is it?"

"Kim Joonmyeon"

"What? Kim Joonmyeon as in the PR guy?"

"I dont know, it does say Kim Joonmyeon"

"But he drives a 2000s Hyundai..."

"A scholarship maybe?...It doesnt say that he was classmate, it says: 'Coordinator'".

"Coordinator of what?"

_______________

"Officer Min!", Joonmyeon goes to find them at the entrance of the presinct. Yoongi and Seulgi share looks. "I need to talk to you".

"Yes you do", they walk to Joonmyeons office.

"As soon as I read the academys name on the file...first of all, I dont remember anything about Jongdae. Honestly, we werent classmates"

"We have this here", Seulgi shows him the list. "Heres your name, it says 'Coordinator'"

"Yes...oh yes. It means classroom coordinator. We, the older ones, once we reached senior, were in charge of supervising the classrooms...or that the kids kept them clean and such. I was in charge of two classrooms. We only talked to the class presidents. I really dont remember Jongdae...I feel terrible", he sighs.

"Kim Jisoo"

"What about her?"

"She is the class president. Do you know any way of contacting her?"

"Ill get her contact information in a moment", he grabs his phone. 

_________________

Its annoying and understandable, and functional, but still a pain. Kim Minseok has come with Zhang Yixing to the station. The korean doesnt move an inch away from his chinese brother in law.

"Is there any lead?", Zhang looks like he lost 20 kilos and aged 40 years.

"Maybe...new hints", he sighs nervously. Minseok kind of growls. The four of them sit.

"You said that mister Kim was on his way to meet former classmates, about a hoghschool reunion", both men nod to the female detective. "There are no meetings organised by his former highschool"

"Oh yes", Minseok says. "My mother and my husband went to the one in June. I, I asked Jongdae, he said that they called him to organise the one in new year season"

"Why didnt you say anything before?", Yoongi asks.

"Because he said that the academy called him and you said that you went there....what is going on?"

"We think either your brother lied or he was lied to", Seulgi explains.

"Someone mightve set him up. That requires certain level of planning, and closeness to your brother"

"Someone close to our family?", Minseok asks.

"A highschool friend?", Yixing asks. "He never talked about high school, we only me Kyuhyun ge and Ji Hyun..."

"He hated high school", Minseok says. "He never kept in touch with anybody from the academy....I was even surprised that he wanted to participate in the organisation....he said it was time to grow up", the older brother feels terrible. Yixing sighs.

"He hated high school. Did he have enemies, bullies, was he the bully?", Yoongi asks and Yixing wants to answer.

"No, he wasnt the bully. He was just against my fathers wishes, dad wanted us to attend the academy for the sake of the business, Jongdae couldnt care less. He wanted to be an artist. He didnt like anybody at the academy. Is not that they were bad to him, they were very good to us, except that Jongdae could see how fake they were and hated it....", the older brother said.

"Did he say who called him?"

"No, I understood that it was someone from the academy"

___________

Its a dead end. Yoongi and Seulgi are thinking hard. Yoongi is looking at Sehuns chart. 

"Baekhyun went to Jongdaes art academy as well", Yoongi is suddenly awake.

"Uh?"

"Should we question him?"