Chapter 4

Star-Crossed Lovers

In all my years of existing as Death, I've never felt so tired. 

One. One simple day as a "normal" student and I need a million years of vacation. I'm that tired. 

Although, I don't understand how can you humans survive a day in school. Not even the two World Wars, left me this tired and that's saying a lot. 

I think that is the only thing I admire about all of you. 

I arrived at the house really tired and it doesn't really help that Mother was bombarding me with questions about my first day at School the minute I stepped into the house, in which I just answered with I'm tired and went directly to bed. I groaned in pain. 

"Honey, don't forget that you have homework to do," Mother shouted from below and I just groaned louder. 

"What the is a homework?" I accidentally shouted and well I think that Mother found out because the next thing I know, she was on my room pulling on my ear. "Ouchouchouchouchouch." 

"Don't ever say another bad word or I swear that this will be heaven compared to what I'll do next," Mother said in a stern voice. "Understood?" 

I nodded and she let go of my ear. "Goodness gracious woman. You don't need to treat me like I'm your servant. After all, you are the one that needs to bow before me since I'm the all mighty Death." 

Mother just inhaled sharply and closed tightly her eyes. She counted to ten and then she smiled. 

"Honey, have you've been seeing to many Anime this past days? Cause I swear that if hear another thing like bow before me, all mighty Death or even human lady... Just, don't say those things, okay?" she calmly said, laughing a little in the end, but I felt that she wasn't exactly joking. 

I stayed quiet for a second, looking at how she was trying to keep a smile but was twitching. 

"Mhm. Can you please go and fetch me a bottle of Whiskey? You know, after a really tiring day, I always drink Whiskey to give me strength. Oh and please don't dilute it in water, I like it pure," I said, ignoring what she said and I saw how all the color drained from her face. 

She began to laugh, drying off a fake tear of her eye. "Oh, kids these days. Always inventing crazy things." 

"Here you are!" Two voices exclaimed out of nowhere making Mother to jump because she was startled. 

"We have been looking for you," said Sowon, appearing out of thin air with Eunha next to her. 

"What are you doing here?" Asked Mother, looking at both Sowon and Eunha. Their eyes went wide, when they realized that a human can actually see them. 

"Is she a human?" Sowon muttered from the corner of and I nodded. She eyed at Mother suspiciously, trying to analyze how a human can see both of them. 

"Are you sure she is human?" 

"Yes.... Well, the last time I checked she was..." 

Eunha was quiet all the time, but when she was about to open , Time appeared out of nowhere too. 

"Ahhh gosh. . , why do you always do that huh? Can't you see that my heart is weak?" Sowon asked while holding a hand on her chest. "." 

"You should be used to it," Umji replied while walking towards Mother. "How is she?" 

"I tried to act like a mother-figure to her, but seriously she's a pain in the and it's only been less than 12 hours," said Mother shaking her head as if she was disappointed. 

"Why thank you," I said nodding my head while getting comfortable on bed. 

"Yes. I know. She can be a hassle sometimes. I even consider to froze her forever, but someone will actually kill me if I do," Umji said, while joining Mother with the disappointed look. 

"When you said that I was supposed to babysit Death, I thought that I'll be in my true form and not in the body of a middle aged woman. Although, it's weird but I like it somehow," Mother trailed off and Umji just glanced at her. 

"Wait. Who exactly are you? No, let me rephrase that. What are you?" I asked at the women who was supposed to be my mother. 

"Really? And I thought you were smarter than this," she shook her head and changed to her true form. 

"Nature?" Sowon, Eunha and I asked at the same time. Nature nodded while smiling.

I exhaled and sat on the bed. "I've been deceived all my life." 

"You've only been a human for less than a day," stated Umji while rolling her eyes. 

"Well, that explains it a lot. I felt a weird vibe from you. Now, may I ask, why are you pretending to be my mother, Yuju?" I asked and she looked nervously at Umji. 

"Oh. About that, ehm, they asked me to do it," she trailed off while looking down. 

"Who? Umji?" I asked narrowing my eyes at her. 

"No. Another divine being. Although, as much as I want to tell you, I can't. I swore that I won't say anything about it," she raised her hand in sign of peace. "I don''t know anything as to why I have to babysit you. I just know that He wanted me to be your legal guardian. That's all." 

"Sure. I keep on thinking that the one who is behind all of this is you Umji, but anyways," I shrugged my shoulders and glanced at Sowon who had a shocked expression. "Now. I need Time to change me back. I have work to do." 

"About that," Eunha trailed off, finally joining the conversation. "Remember that we told you that we've been looking for you? Well, there's a clone of you working on the Hades." 

"What?" I shouted furiously. 

"Don't get mad. We saw the other you, at the Underworld talking to your Lord. We noticed that it wasn't really you, because your clone is a lot more stupid than you are on daily basis." 

"I'm going to kill you," I whispered and was about to disappear them from my sight but nothing happened. "What the ? You are supposed to vanish before me. Why it doesn't work?" 

"Well. That's obvious," said Umji while sitting next to me. "You are human.  Being in a human body limits some of our powers." 

"You aren't ing with me, right?" I asked her, hoping that she's making those terrible jokes of her. 

She shook her head and I groaned. 

" this ."

________________________________

I've realized that this story has a pretty slow action. But, that's how it is supposed to be. 

Now, what do you think about Yuju beign her supposed Mother and also being Nature? You didn't see that coming at all, right? No? Okay. 

 I think that's all...

Well, see you on the next chapter! 

Bye bye, I love youuu, 

-Lu