Chapter 3

Star-Crossed Lovers

Since Halloween, I have been extremely careful on what I'm doing. Especially if I'm going to pay a visit to the girl. 

I don't know why, but I know that what Umji told me was enough to leave me all scared and anxious, because you don't actually know when she's going to be watching or what's going to happen.  

Well, it all went well until I was suddenly taken up from my sweet palace at the underworld, to a place in the middle of nowhere. 

I woke up all sweaty just to see a twin sized bed and a normal looking bedroom. I shrugged my shoulders, realizing that I still got a couple of hours till my Lord calls me to do the morning routine.

The second I closed my eyes, I felt someone jarring my shoulder. 

"Sweetie, wake up. It's your first day of school remember?" A sweet and soothing voice whispered on my ear. I was about to mumble a no, when I realized that no one ever wakes me up with a sweet and soothing voice nor I assist to the thing that she calls school. 

I opened my eyes and peeled myself from the creature that was looking worriedly at me. 

"What are you talking about? Where am I?" I looked everywhere and I saw a human lady sighing in front of me. 

"I swear Jung Yerin. If this is one of your tricks, not only I will take away your phone but I will leave you grounded for the rest of your life," the tone of the lady turned to a scold. I shrinked on the bed. 

She made me feel inferior. A mere human made me feel inferior. 

"I'm serious human lady. This isn't a joke," I replied gaining a bit of confidence. I'm Death for s sake, I don't get orders by a puny mortal. 

"I'm your mother, young lady. You better watch your words before talking to me. Now go to take a shower," she said in a bossy tone. 

I nodded and muttered. "Yes mother." 

I went to the bathroom and saw that she had placed me some clothes I could wear for today. I closed the door and leaned into it. I sighed. What the ? I actually let myself being ordered around by a human mor- I mean by my mother. 

"Hurry up or you'll be late," my mother shouted through the door, startling me a bit. 

"I'm going," I replied her back and got into the shower. 

When I finished showering, I tried on the choice of clothing my mother chose for me. I must say that for being just a human, she has a good taste on colors. 

I got out of the bathroom just to see her standing in front of the door tapping her foot irritably. "Why did it took you so long to just wash yourself? Huh? What were you doing? Seeing how the water falls and couting the drops? You really are a real hassle Jung Yerin." 

"Now, excuse me miss but who the do you think you are to boss me around? How do you know my name? And worst of all where the am I?" I shouted at my supposed mother, she just smiled.

"That's it," her tone changed again and again I felt inferior. "You are grounded. For two months. You are not going out at all and leave me your phone right now." 

"What's grounded? A phone?" I asked confused. What's all that? "I don't have any of those things." 

She inhaled sharply and pointed at the door with a red face. "That's it. Out. Out of my house." 

She chased me to the front door, giving me a heavy bag just after I left. I was about to turn around, but she closed the door on my face. 

"What.The.?" I muttered. 

"Three months!" My mother shouted and my eyes went wide. What the actual ? Does she have a ing super hearing or something. I swear, this woman isn't human. 

I got out of the porch and followed the path.

Now, she mentioned something about school. Yeah, maybe I should go to this school whatever it is.

I began walking to my destiny, but just as I realized that it was my first time living like a human, I knew that I was lost. 

That's ing awesome.

"Are you ing kidding me?" I shouted to no one. I got some weird looks from the people passing by, but I couldn't care less. "What the did I do to deserve this ?" 

"Oh, nothing actually," a voice said out of nowhere and I turned around to see a smiling Time. 

"What the did you do?" I stepped closer to her while she just stood still without moving an inch. 

"Oh, I did nothing," she smirked and I shivered. 

"Stop bulling me Umji and tell me why the am I a human?"

"You aren't a human. You're still Death. Just that now, everyone can see you," she leaned back a little. "Now, I didn't do this. I don't have time to play change-the-divine-being-into-a-mortal-and-see-what-happens game. No. Someone else did. The only thing I can answer is that, school is that way." 

She pointed behind her and there was a building in which a thousands of people were entering. "Good luck." 

"What? No. You come back here!" She disappeared, making me grab at nothing. Damn this Time. "."

I glanced around me just to see a bunch of people looking weirdly at me. 

"What the are you looking at? Huh? Never seen a girl talking alone?" I asked them and they just turned around. 

I rolled my eyes and followed them. 

When I entered the building, I was attacked by a thousands of humans walking to the same way. I didn't know what to do or where to go to, so I just let myself get dragged by the multitude. 

I thought it was the end for me. Really, you don't know how it feels being in a crowded place. But, someone grabbed me by my neck collar and hauled me to a safe place. 

"You got my gratitude, human," I looked at the one who was grabbing me by the collar just to see a bored looking Hwang Eunbi. 

What? I remember her name okay? It's a normal thing to do. Right? 

In my chest, something pumped rapidly and it was annoying me. 

"Human? Really? Just a thank you was enough," she muttered, letting me go. 

"Oh my god. Are you okay? Did she hurt you?" A tall girl asked. The same one that was with Eunbi on Halloween. "By the way, I'm Eunseo." 

I raised an eyebrow and shook her hand. "I'm Yerin."

Something clicked on Eunbi's brain because she glanced at me in confusion. "Wait. Aren't you that weird looking person dressed like a Soul Reapper that kept on looking at me and ducking every time I turned around?" 

I swear, I felt my face hot at what she said. She noticed me then? Well, that's fantastic. 

"You are a girl," she said giving me a once over. 

"No . I thought I was a duck," I retorted back, feeling a little bit what, insulted? 

"Well, you look like one," she muttured and I raised an eyebrow. "After all, you are blonde."

"What did you just say?" I took a step forward, getting closer to her. "Wait. Did you just say blonde?" 

"No, I said blue," she said sarcastically. "Your hair color is blonde." 

I can't believe it. Blonde? Really? Of all the colors in the world, they had to give me blonde? No wonder everyone turned to see me, I'm dressed in all black and what stands out the most is my hair. 

"I know that this is your first time seeing each other, it looks like you have known one another since you were born," her friend said. What was it again? Eunseo? 

Actually, I have known her since she was born but that'll sound too creepy and it will worsen the situation since Eunbi knew that I was watching her on Halloween. 

"But we haven't," replied Eunbi.

"I know. I was just saying," Eunseo muttered, she then turned to see me. "You must be new right? Do you know where the principal's office is?" 

I shook my head. I don't even know what a principal is. 

"Okay, I'll leave you with Sinb here since I have to do something before class starts," Eunseo said while looking at the clock. "I should get going. Behave." 

And she left.

Leaving me alone with Eunbi. 

"Follow me," Eunbi said as she began walking and I walked behind her. 

When we arrived at the principal's office. They just asked my name and then handed me a piece of paper with a bunch of boxes with different themes. 

"What is this ?" I asked to myself while Eunbi stiffled a laugh.

"That , is your class schedule," she said looking at the weird piece of paper. "We have all classes together. Hm, that's weird." 

I didn't know that I was staring at her face, because she suddenly looked up and met my eyes. "You are weird. Cute. But weird." 

"Pardon?" I asked feeling once again confused.

"Nothing," she said quickly and began walking. 

"Hey wait," I ran up to her side. "I didn't catch your name." 

"It's none of your business." 

"Well, it's only fair since you know mine." 

She hesitated for a second before saying. "Eunbi." 

"What a pretty name. Nice to meet you Eunbi," I said and she turned to look back at me. She rolled her eyes. 

"Weird duck."

She left and I just stood there with a something beating on my chest and a kind of revolt on my stomach. A ghost of a smile appeared on my face. 

What's wrong with me?

I shrugged my shoulders and ran to catch up with Eunbi.

Well, this is really unexpected. 

___________________________________

Hey, now eh. I don't know if you know but I'm taking an abscence and I don't know when I will come back. Since I have to take care of some personal things.

This chapter may have left you a little bit confused, but I swear everything will be answered throughout the story. 

The only one that's left is Yuju, don't worry, she will appear in the next chapter. 

I don't know why but I have like a soft spot for this story.

Either way, you can follow me on twitter if you want. I have two accounts, one dedicated to this and its called @Imaginative_Lu and then there's my "personal account" called @Buddy12319. (I should think of better usernames you know). I'll appreciate any comments regarding on what I can improve in my writing (although I have written for like as long as I could remember, I'm still a novice on this).

Now, I think that's all I wanted to say.

I love you guys. 

I'll hope I'll see you soon!   

-Lu