chapter nine

breathe / amber liu x reader

09: jessica jung does not have a patchy voice

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

battle of the bands was coming up and you had decided to enter. your parents had been encouraging you to join any kind of extra curricular club / event and battle of the bands didn't seem bad. besides, you would get to spend more time with your girlfriend. 

 

you and amber had gone on a few dates before she decided to ask if you wanted to be her girlfriend. you had said yes and since then life had gone well — school , life was boring but amber seemed to brighten everything up. 

 

you were going to be playing the drums in your band, with krystal as vocals and jessica and hyuna playing the guitar. an odd group together but honestly you couldn't deny that you sounded pretty good. there was a good chance of you winning. 

 

the competition was tough though — there were the band kids who had spent pretty much their whole life practicing for this. they were mean and didn't like newcomers so you spent time avoiding them whenever you went to practice. there were bands who'd been together since freshman year (one band had won their middle school battle of the bands together). and you were also up against last year's winners — your girlfriend's band. 

 

when you had first told amber you would be entering she didn't look very pleased. not wanting to start an argument soon after you had come out of hospital you had brushed it off — it would be awkward playing against each other though. 

 

"hello, ladies." you sauntered into the practice room. 

 

hyuna and krystal were engrossed in some silly cop show krystal had been obsessed with; the thing had a million seasons and krystal had been watching it since middle school, god knew how she kept up with it. jessica had luna on her lap and was whispering something into her ear — she winked at you and you turned around, deciding to take a little toilet trip. 

 

after you had finished your business you noticed amber talking to one of the kids who worked the sound for the battle. deciding to scare her you moved back so you couldn't been seen. it turned out you could hear the whole conversation though as the corridor was completely empty. 

 

"look, i'll even pay you." you heard amber whisper and you frowned, what was she bribing them for? 

 

"what if i get caught?" the person retorted. "why can't your girlfriend ask me herself?" 

 

her girlfriend? that was you — what the was going on? 

 

"because she doesn't know." amber curtly replied. 

 

"your own girlfriend doesn't know that you're planing to ask me to change the sound so her band can sound better than everyone else?" the person laughed. "you're strange." 

 

"please." amber begged. 

 

you were in total shock, did amber think that you were that bad that she would pay someone to make you sound better? tears welled up in your eyes — you and the girls had spent the past month working your asses off, and amber had told you multiple times that you were great. she knew how nervous you were and yet there was she was, blatantly lying to your face. 

 

"my sister's planning to tryout for the basketball team." the person sounded thoughtful. "you're the head of it, right? make sure she gets on it; she's so make her a sub, i don't care, just put her on it."

 

"deal." 

 

they shook hands and the person walked off, leaving amber standing there and you, hiding. you wanted to confront her but you didn't know what to say. but it didn't matter and you found yourself storming up to her. 

 

"you're horrible." you mumbled, unable to meet her eye. "do you really think we're that bad that you have to bribe someone?" 

 

amber stood there, her eyes burning. she opened but closed it again, looking at the ground. 

 

"every time you said i was good, you lied." you had tears running down your face now. "you know how worried i was. if i was so bad, you could've helped me out, i would've gladly accepted that. you're an ." 

 

"why were you eavesdropping anyway?" amber retaliated. "that's a ty thing to do. you don't trust me, do you?" 

 

"i just wanted to scare you!" you shouted. "i didn't think i'd hear you bribing someone, did i? and for the record, i did trust you but now you've done this, i don't." 

 

"bribing someone for what?" you heard luna's quiet voice behind you. 

 

"she asked a question, answer." jessica spat out and you sighed — she had never really forgiven amber for punching krystal. 

 

"she was bribing someone to basically switch our audio off because she thinks we sound ." you stared into your girlfriend's eye, unable to understand what she was thinking. 

 

"what the ?" jessica walked over, barging amber. 

 

"they sound fine, though." luna whispered, pulling jessica back. "a little bit patchy but fine." 

 

"thanks, babe." jessica pushed luna's hand off hers, making the younger girl sigh. "come on, (y/n), we're going home." 

 

giving amber a pointed look you started walking after jessica — your heart ached, but you knew turning around and looking into those loving eyes of her would make you break down completely. 

 

"what a ing ." jessica unlocked her car. "patchy, me?" 

 

you were silent the whole ride while jessica spat out insults. you felt like ; honestly you had been really looking forward to battle of the bands but now you were going to cross your name off the sign up sheet. your own girlfriend thought you were , that must have meant you really . tears were beginning to well up in your eyes and your remaining confidence began to tear up apart. 

 

jessica swerved into her driveway, and you pushed open the door, slamming it hard and then quickly wincing. she didn't reply and you noticed she had a tear stained face too. it was rare that you ever saw jess cry; she was so focused on caring after you and krystal (and now luna) that she rarely broke down in public. this must've really hurt her. 

 

your phone buzzed in your pocket and a photo of amber and her arms around you covered the screen. you wanted to pick up and let her know you'd speak to her later and you weren't that mad but you couldn't — not only had she hurt you but she had also hurt your best friend, someone who was like a sister to you, the one who'd never left your side. 

 

you declined the call.