Joonie and Kookie

Smile Like You Mean It

*Bold and italicized dialogue means they're speaking in Korean

 

My heels clicked against the floor in my office in a rush to get to the elevator. I let Jungkook go to a friend’s house today while I was at work but I miss my son. My office building sat by Lake Michigan. The view in the summer is amazing. You can see the kids running along the shore and boats in the water. Now it’s winter and the lake is frozen over and all the sand is covered in snow. It’s actually kind of eery. My office is on the top floor of the 50 story high-rise. I am the CEO of a big law firm here and I have more than enough money for me and my son. All of the money doesn’t come from legal work though. I double as a mafia boss with my younger brother Hoseok. We moved the headquarters to New York where Hoseok lives and I used to stay. I moved to Chicago shortly after Jungkook was born. I want him to take my place one day but I also care about his safety. Our rivals don’t know about him yet and I plan to keep it that way until he’s ready.  Our father passed the business to us when we became old enough to run it and settled down in Korea with our mother. 

 Beyond The Scene lives up to its name. The organization has been around since the 1960s and have yet to be caught up in anything that could ruin us. Of course we’ve been in the news for petty things like stealing or drug dealing but our name is feared more in the streets than anywhere else. Beyond The Scene has members all over the world that are holding all kinds of positions. Hoseok owns multiple dance studios in New York and Seoul, his fiancé Yoongi owns a small record label, and then there’s me with my law firm. I decided to do law so that I could understand the loopholes that BTS would need to keep us out of trouble.  It’s every generation’s duty to take over and maintain our reputation before they reach their thirties . Hoseok and I took over when I was 23 and he was 21. My father was 20 when it was passed down to him and my son will lead one day too. Kookie knows about BTS but he believes that it’s a secret family business which isn’t a lie but it isn’t all of the truth either. When Kook was born we were already planning my move to Chicago. His mother was going to come with us but she had passed during his birth.  When she died BTS was at a stand still. She was supposed to be my second in command but the title was passed down to Hoseok. My marriage with her wasn’t a love fest mainly because I  wasn’t able to develop feelings for her. My mother had arranged the marriage with her but I wasn’t ready to settle down. Jungkook came to be after my father said that I  wouldn’t be able to get my position in his mafia if I didn’t have a child. I feel bad for using her that way but it had to be done and I love my son with my entire heart. He was the result of a ty marriage but is one of the best things that have ever happened to me. 

When I made it to the parking lot and got into my car I took a deep breath. Today was New Years Eve and I gave everyone the day off but I still had work to do. I always take time in my car to relax before I go get my son. Jungkook is an energetic boy who needs a lot of attention. I  can’t keep up with him if I’m tired. I drove my black Tesla to work today but only because Kookie likes the way the doors open and requested I drive it specifically.  After I buckle in and drive out of the lot I think about how much Kookie has grown.  He’s 7 years old now and in second grade. He was so quiet when he was younger but the older he got the more he broke out of his shell. I ran my hand through my hair. I’m getting so old. It really feels like it was just yesterday when he was born but time flies when you have a kid. I  drove down State street to get to the Smiths house. Jungkook was spending time with his school friend Connor today. I  was nervous at first but the babysitter wasn’t available (Kookie keeps saying he doesn’t need one but I refuse to come home to him hyped up on sugar and cartoons) but it was between his friends house or coming to work with me, and you can only spend so much time with your dad before you lose your mind. I pulled up to a modern townhouse in the south loop. I got out of the car and walked up to the two story building. I  was so excited to pick up Jungkook. I  hadn’t seen him since I dropped him off. I can only go so long without seeing his bunny smile before I feel deprived. I  was so deep into my thoughts about how much I love my son that I hadn’t notice the door open. 

“Hi Namjoon! Jungkook will be ready to go in about 2 minutes he’s just getting his stuff together. You can come in while you wait.” I’m glad Connor’s mom let me in because it’s freakin’ freezing outside! That was one of the downsides of living in this city. When it gets cold it’s like the north pole. You’d think that we’d be use to it by now but the cold was never for me, even when I was younger. When I  retire I’m gonna move somewhere warm like Hawaii or something. 

Hello. Thanks for inviting me in it’s so cold outside. How was he today?” I know he behaved, he always does, but it does something for my ego when I hear it from other people. Before she could answer Jungkook walked around the corner. I  squatted and opened my arms to embrace him but he walked right past me. He’s usually so excited to see me. I can’t believe he just…walked pass me. 

With my eyebrow raised I stand up to look at Connor’s parents. “What’s wrong with my son?” Kookie doesn’t get upset often but when he does it’s usually a big deal. He’s a happy kid and I plan for it to stay that way for as long as possible. 

“Well…Today was not a good day for him. He was fine when he first got here but he and Connor have been arguing all day. We’ve tried to get them to stop but Jungkook was ready to go home after a while.” I was shocked and confused. I wanted to defend him but I  felt a tug on my jacket sleeve. I looked behind me and my son looked pitiful. His eyes were full of tears, the frown on his face was so deep I was afraid his face would get stuck like that. I turned back to Connor’s parents. 

“I’m sorry about his behavior. Thank you for letting him come over on such short notice. Happy New Year.” I grabbed Kookie’s hand and walked out the door. I unlocked the car and opened the so Kookie could climb in hoping the way the doors lifted  would cheer him up like they usually do. He didn’t even blink. Kookie takes off his Ironman backpack and gets in his seat. The ride was home was quiet. Nothing was heard but the low radio with Kehlani playing in the background and the traffic we were stuck in. The sun had already set bringing out the beautiful city lights. I decided to take Lake Shore Drive home so I  could enjoy the scenery before I had to confront Kookie and his issue today. The light from the moon and buildings reflected off of the frozen water even the loud honking and bright red lights shining in the car was a good distraction from my racing thoughts. A lot of people were headed to the north side to celebrate the new year but I just wanted to go home and spend it with my family. When we finally pulled off of Lake Shore Drive to get back to the streets I heard sniffling. Oh no…this may be worse than I thought. My poor boy. In my mind Kookie could do no wrong even when he misbehaved he was still an amazing kid that I was so blessed to have, but I was still lonely. My son’s company was cool but I needed a different type of affection. Hopefully, I’ll be able to find someone this year. The quietness of the car was disrupted when that typical iPhone ringtone started to blare from the car speakers. It’s moments like this I regret linking my phone with the damn radio. “Call From Min Yoongi” was displayed on the radio’s screen. I  didn’t really feel like picking up but this was Jungkook’s favorite uncle and I don’t want to worsen his mood by ignoring him. I  hit the green button on my phone while sighing loudly. 

What do you want Yoongi?”

Hello to you too

“You're on speaker and Kookie just heard you curse”

OH SH- I  mean shoot. My bad. Hi Kookie! How’s my favorite nephew? Hobi says hi too. 

Jungkook didn’t respond. 

Kookie had a rough day today, I haven’t talked to him about it yet.”

Oh? What happened?

“He was arguing with his friend all day and has been quiet since I picked him up.”

Kookie? Arguing? I bet it was the other kids fault. Right Kook? 

Jungkook was still silent. Hey Jungkook, your uncle is talking to you. Don’t be rude. He sighs and mumbles something. What did you say? Nobody can hear you Kookie. While I wait for him to respond I pull up to our garage and park the car. 

Hi uncles. It was Connor’s fault. We were playing in his room and he asked me where my mom was so I told him that I didn’t have one and he kept teasing me for it. Then I said that his room was lame anyways and I wanted to leave but I couldn’t and Connor wouldn’t leave me alone.” Yoongi was quiet. My face fell. I always knew that this would be an issue at some point but his friend didn’t need to keep bothering him about it. Yeah, he definitely won't be going back there.  I know he misses his mom and although I wasn’t too fond of her I’d bring her back just so Kookie could have her but I can’t. Yoongi sighs. I was expecting him to speak but it was Hobi’s voice that we heard. 

“Jungkook, some people are really mean and I’m sorry that happened to you. Your mom would love you if she was here. I love you, Yoongi loves you, and so does your dad. People like to judge things that they don’t understand but we can’t let them bring us down right?” I  turn to  look back at my son and there are tears running down his face now. Come here Kookie. He crawls to the front seat and I push my seat back so he can sit in my lap. I wrap my arm around him, pull him to my chest, and kiss the top of his head. Your uncle is right. People are mean but we love you. It breaks my heart when he takes a shaky breath. “It’s not fair dad.” There’s another sigh coming from the phone. It’s Yoongi talking this time.

“Kookie sometimes we don’t always get to have what every one else does. When you get older you’ll understand but tomorrow is a new year and I know you want to celebrate and you can’t do that if you’re sad. So cheer up for us yeah? Namjoon I  still need to talk to you by the way.” At some point while Yoongi was talking Kookie had stopped crying. I  hold him tighter and take disconnect the phone from the car speakers to put it up to my ear. 

What’s up?” 

The arms deal with China was successful. Hoseok and a couple of our men went over last week to meet them and make sure there was no funny business going on. 

“Ok. Thanks for the update. Is there anything else I need to know?”

There was some petty gang trying to deal on our territory in Toronto two days ago but Zico took care of them. When are you coming back to New York? 

“Ha! When are YOU coming to Chicago?” Kookie and I had just come back from a ski trip in Sweden 3 days ago. I  wasn’t planning to travel again any time soon. 

Touche old man, I don’t know when were coming but we do miss Kookie so expect a visit from us. Anyways…I gotta go now have a happy new year, tell Kookie I love him. Did he get the presents we sent? I chuckled. Of course they wouldn’t visit for me. I  guess I’m not the only one who can't go a long time without Jungkook. 

Yeah he got em. He liked them all. You guys gotta leave the spoiling of my son to me though.” 

In your dreams. Yoongi hangs up the phone. I looked at the clock. It’s only 6 o’clock we have a long time before the countdown. I turn off the car and open the door. Kookie slides off my lap and runs to the back to grab his bag. I step out and grab his hand and we make our way to the elevator. When we step in Kookie presses the button for the top floor. Kookie looks up at me and brushes his bangs out of his face. It is time for a haircut…I’ll have to remember to tell my assistant to schedule an appointment for it. 

Dad…I’m sorry.” 

You don’t have anything to be sorry for Kook. You had a right to be upset. Kookie nods his head. I let out a soft laugh. The elevator dings to let us know we’ve reached our floor. Our apartment door was at the end of the hallway. We walk to the door and I take out my keys to unlock it not letting go of Jungkook’s hand. We step into the apartment and slide our shoes off. The lights automatically come on making the rest of the front room visible. I take my coat and my son’s to hang on the rack next to our door. 

Alright kid, what do you wanna do until it’s time to start counting down. Whenever I say countdown that song plays in my head. I start to hum it while I wait for an answer. Kookie’s head is tilted to the side with his bottom lip sticking out while he thinks.

Hmmm…I  wanna eat lots of pizza then I wanna watch movies and then I wanna play with my new toys.” Dear God, this amount of pizza this kid could eat was unnatural I have no idea how he doesn’t hate it yet. 

Ok but you gotta take a shower first. Jungkook nods his head again and runs to the bathroom. I  pull out my phone to order a cheese pizza and a pepperoni pizza. In our apartment, there are three windows in the front room that reach from the ceiling to the floor. Their is a black leather couch in the middle of the room with an arm chair of the same material to the left and right of it. Our plasma screen TV hangs on the wall above our wooden bookshelf. When we moved in the floor was hardwood but I installed carpet so Kookie’s feet don’t get too cold in the winter. Our kitchen had a marble counter with stainless steel appliances not that that really means anything to me because I can’t cook anyways. The amount of leftover takeout in our fridge was outrageous but we gotta eat something. Kookie got his own room that is right across the hall from mine upstairs. I  go up the steps to my room to change out of my work clothes into a pair of sweat pants and an old band tee I wore when I was a teenager. The layout of my room and the guest room was pretty basic. I have my bed in the middle my dresser against the wall and my bathroom next to the dresser. The color scheme was dark compared to Kookie’s room. His room was painted a bright green with marvel characters on the wall while I left my walls white  with dark blues sheets and gray curtains. While I was changing I could hear Jungkook running to his room from his bathroom. I wasn’t sure about giving him his own bathroom at first but it was already a part of his room and his grandparents were pretty consistent about him having one. They were worse than I was when it came to giving Kookie too much but he deserves it. 

NO RUNNING JUNGKOOK! 

“OK DAD!” 

When I go downstairs after I finish changing Jungkook had already chosen a movie. Spongebob’s voice was playing through the speakers making Jungkook giggle at whatever antics were happening. I walked to the back of the couch and jumped over it but as soon as I  sat down there was a knock at the door. I groaned. Talk about terrible timing. I stand up and grab the gun hidden in the couch pillows. I can never be too safe or sure of who’s coming to visit. I look through the peephole and see the pizza man. Oh yeah…forgot I ordered food. I slid the gun in my pants pocket and open the door. The guy who looks no older than 18 hands me my pizza. I pay for it, tip him, then close the door. I carry the pizza to the kitchen and sit it on the counters. I start opening the boxes and Jungkook sits on the chair at the kitchen bar. 

How many pieces do you want? I said as I grab our plates from the cabinets. 

100” Jungkook says. 

Ok so no. How about we settle for 3 and then you can get more after that. Jungkook groans but theres no way I’m gonna let him even get to 50 slices of pizza no matter how bad he wants to. I  pour him a cup of apple juice and we start eating. Jungkook eats 5 more slices before he runs back to the couch to finish his movie. I don’t even bother putting the food away because I  know he’ll want more the boys stomach is a bottomless pit. We watch 3 more movies before Jungkook gets bored. He walks to his room to grab his new toys that Yoongi and Hoseok sent us. I grab my laptop to FaceTime my parents before the new year. I know it’s already the first of January in Korea. The computer rings for a little bit before they pick up. Oh no…my dads face is red and my mom is laughing loudly in the background. 

Dad…are you and mom drunk?

“Only a little bit son. You know it’s a new year it’s exciting! Honey! Namjoon is on the phone” My dad passes the phone to her and her round face is way too close to the camera. 

“Joonie honey, how are things? Happy new year! Where is my kookie? How’s the family business? Your dad doesn’t tell me anything. Jeez that bastard.”

 Hi mom…the business is good, I’m good and so is Kookie. Kookie! Your grandpa and grandma are on the phone! Kookie comes from downstairs and runs to the laptop. 

Grandpa! Grandma! Hi! I miss you guys so much! When are you coming over?

“Oh my gosh Kookie you’ve gotten so big! We’ll be over soon. Can you see your grandpa dancing in the background? He said if you do well in school he’ll give you a hundred dollars for every good grade.” I choked. What the hell is a 7 year old going to do with that much money? Kookie claps his hand gleefully. He’s probably thinking of all the toys he can buy. 

I’ll do well then grandma! Hurry here! I love you. 

“Happy New Year Kookie and Joonie! We’re gonna go now. I have to make sure your dad doesn’t do anything crazy.” 

Happy New Year guys! Goodbye, love you. 

It’s 11:45 when I end the call with them. I move my computer to the side and run to the kitchen to grab the sparkling grape juice and the plastic champagne glasses. I call Kookie to the kitchen. He likes to pour the drinks, he says it makes him feel grown up. He ignores my ‘no running’ rule again and speeds to the kitchen. He stands on a step stool behind the counters and takes the bottles I opened and poured the juice into the cups. I grab the fake glasses and walk to the living room. After sitting the cups down on the coffee table to cut the TV on for the countdown. Yoongi’s only debuted group is performing with 5 minutes left on the clock. I take a video of the screen to send in our group chat. With 3 minutes left I sit on the couch and put my arm around my son. I turn the TV volume up and smile. By the time the groups performance was finished the countdown had began. 

 10,9,8,7,6… I grab my cup and pass Kookie his. 

5,4,3,2,1! We both take a sip of our drinks and laugh. I lean down to kiss Jungkook’s forehead. 

Happy New Year son.

“Happy New Year dad!”

Tomorrow, will be the start of something new and I’m going to be ready for it.