Kim Seokjin

Smile Like You Mean It

The city lights are shining through the window, cars are speeding to wherever, and next to me there is heavy breathing. I look at the clock and it isn’t midnight yet. If I get out of here fast enough maybe I can countdown to the new year in a less…disgusting place. I slide out of bed as quietly as I can so that the man I was with isn’t disturbed. I put my clothes on the best I can in the dark and leave. The cold is nipping at my skin to a point where its almost painful but its welcomed. I’ll take anything that will distract me from my exhaustion and constant whirlwind of emotions. I walk to the nearest bus stop that will take me from the north side to the south. While I wait a loud ringing noise pierces the silence. You’d think that it would be loud outside on New Years Eve but I guess everyone found a place to be that wasn’t below freezing. My phone rings again distracting me from my thoughts.


“Hello?”
Jin where the are you?
“I’m on my way home… what do you want Jimin? Where’s Tae?”
Well, we’re waiting on you! There’s an hour until midnight and it’s taking you forever to get home! How was your client?
“He was a but we can talk about him later. I’m coming home now. I’ll see you guys when I get there.”
Ok Jin! We love you!
“I love you guys too! Don’t destroy anything before I get there! Buh-bye!”


I end the call chuckling. Jimin and Taehyung are my roommates. I met them when I was still attending school. I had always wanted to be a lawyer but after the death of both of my parents I couldn’t afford to pay for university. The rest of my family stayed in Gwacheon but I never stayed in contact with them after my parents and I left. Luckily, I was living off campus and Jimin and Tae were looking for a place to stay. They were from Korea too and had grown up together. I needed cheaper rent and didn’t want to be alone. They were like a hurricane when they came. Chaotic, loud, and intimidating. In reality though, they aren’t even a thunderstorm. Tae and Jimin are cousins that come from a rich family. Tae is majoring in photography and his cousin was a dance major. With the money I had left and the rent they paid I was able to live decently for a couple months but I needed a job. I was desperate and willing to do anything and that is when I would meet Rose. I was walking to my car after another failed job interview trying not to cry. I wasn’t paying attention to the people around me and bumped into her. I snapped my head up preparing to apologize when she put her hand on my shoulder.


“Are you okay man?” Her accent was thick she obviously wasn’t from Chicago but neither was I.
“Yea I’m fine. Sorry for running into you.” She didn’t believe me. I was so obviously not okay and I’m a terrible liar but even if I wasn’t I don’t think she’d fall for the whole allergies story. Her hand was still on my shoulder and she pulled me into an alleyway.
“You know, you have a really handsome face. My boss is looking for more workers and I think you’d be perfect.” I was confused and uncomfortable but I was needy.
“What would I have to do? What makes you think I need a job and can you please stop touching me?” She dropped her hand and smiled. She explained that she was an for a company and that I shouldn’t worry about how she knew I needed to be employed. She handed me a business card and told me to consider it. I started working with her a month later. I was nervous about using my body but not everyone wanted . Some people just needed to be accompanied. After a while I got comfortable with it. The pay isn’t the best but it was enough for me to survive in a decent part of town.

The bus came and had a couple of people who were tired and just ready to go home just like me. The ride home was quiet. When I got off and walked the the two blocks to my apartment it was already 11:50. I took my keys out and unlocked the door to Jimin and Tae sitting on the couch with champagne bottles on the coffee table. The TV was playing in the background but they looked too deep in conversation to care about what was on. I slid my shoes off at the door and threw myself into the nearest chair, finally letting my body rest comfortably. Jimin was the first to notice my presence. Taehyung was still too focused in whatever the hell they were talking about. “Jin! Welcome home! We didn’t want to drink until you got here. You know how Tae gets when he’s tipsy.” I laughed. Tae is a wild man but even wilder when there’s alcohol involved. I let Jimin pour me a glass of champagne. From what I’ve learned Jimin had always been high maintenance so of course we didn’t have just any liquor to start off the new year even though I would’ve quickly settled for a bottle of vodka. There were 5 minutes left until midnight. Taehyung had already finished his first glass and was on to his second while I slowly sipped on mine attempting to relax.


10, 9, 8, 7… Tae and Jimin started loudly counting down. I looked at the TV wondering if this year would bring new things for me.


5,4,3,2,1! Happy New Years! The cousins jumped off the couch and hugged each other then ran to me. “Happy New Year Jinnie!” I stood up and embraced them both. After finishing my drink I went up to my room and laid in bed. Tomorrow, will be the start of something new and I’m going to be ready for it.