Yoonseok Chapter

Smile Like You Mean It

Yoongi was walking to his home in Brooklyn. He had just finished his shift at a cafe on the far north side and was exhausted. His feet were and back were aching from standing all day. The moon was full and high. That was the only thing he enjoyed about finishing so late. He could spend time talking to the moon since it was the only thing in all of New York that kept him company. He didn’t bother making friends. He had come from a rich and strict family. His parents cared more about their image than anything else so when Yoongi announced that wanted to go to school for music instead of following in his fathers footsteps an taking over the business his parents lost their minds. He hangs his head recalling the memory. 

 

“You aren’t gonna become anything in the music world Yoongi! You ungrateful brat! I don’t remember raising such …such a ! Pack your things and get out of this house. You won’t bring this family down because you volunteered to be a failure.”

 

The mans face was twisted into a scowl. If you looked close enough you could see the steam billowing from his ears. Yoongi’s mother sat on the sofa with tears running down her face ruining her mascara. Yoongi felt as if he had just been hit in the chest but he would show them. He was going to prove them wrong. By the next day he was out on the streets. 

 

Yoongi remembers that day vividly. He was 18 and just graduated from the private academy he was enrolled in. He laughs bitterly. He saved up money from his job to pay for producing equipment the he kept in his hole of an apartment. He was sure that if he worked hard enough he would achieve his goal. He just needed to be patient. 

 

He was so deep into his thoughts that he hadn’t realized he even made it to his apartment. He was taking his keys from his book bag when he heard a car screech from around the corner. He wasn’t bothered. Things like that happened all of the time. Gunshots rang out. Now that didn’t happen often and if it did he was too tired to ever notice but not tonight. He hurried to unlock his doors. Sirens started to sound. Yoongi’s breathing picked up. He was starting to wonder what was happening and why now of all times did his keys decide not to work. Feet were hitting against the pavement. He managed to unlock the door. When he pushed it open he was pushed inside. The door slammed behind him. There was heavy breathing in his small living room but it wasn’t his. He jumped up ready to fight the intruder when the lights were . There was a man with his back pressed against the door and sweat running down his chest making the white T-shirt the man was wearing stick to him. He was the most beautiful man Yoongi had ever seen but he couldn’t let that distract him. Yoongi always kept a knife in his back pocket just in case he had to fight someone off. Now seemed like a perfect time to use it. He snatched it from its hiding place and flicked it open showing a silver blade that glinted in the light. 

 

“Who are you and what the are you doing in my apartment?” Yoongi wasted no time. He didn’t want to deal with some intruder today. The man laughed in response. 

 

“You can’t hurt me with that thing princess. You don’t even know how to hold it. I’ve seen babies scarier than you.” He said. Yoongi grimaced. 

 

“Don’t…Don’t call me that. Just tell me what the you want!” Yoongi hissed. The man pushed himself off the door and walked pass Yoongi throwing himself on the couch. 

 

“I just had a little falling out with the police. Nothing major. It’ll be taken care of by the time the night’s over but until then I need a place to crash.” He let his head fall back and closed his eyes. Yoongi’s heart was racing. 

 

“You can’t stay here. I don’t want you bringing trouble to me.” Yoongi kept his voice quiet. He didn’t want his neighbors to know what was going on because the walls were so thin.

 

“Oh but Princess that’s the thing. I can. I own every building in this territory so if I wanna stay in one until some cools off for a couple hours I can.” Yoongi glared.

“Stop ing calling me princess. My name is Min Yoongi.” The man on the couch said his name slowly. His voice making Yoongi’s name sounds exotic. Yoongi shivered.  That criminal was so attractive but he needed to leave. 

 

“Well Min Yoongi my name is Hope on the streets but you can call me tomorrow.” He winked. Yoongi cringed. That was the worst pick up line he had ever heard. Yoongi walked over to the couch the knife still in his hand. 

 

“You’re really a piece of .” Hope rolled his eyes. He’s heard worse. 

 

“Listen Yoongi I’ll be out of your head in a few minutes. I’ll even pay you for your troubles.” Hope responded. He sat up noticing the producing equipment sitting next to Yoongis TV stand. 

 

“You like to make music huh?” Yoongis eyes widened. He snapped his head to the equipment he had just bought. He slowly nodded. 

 

“I got a studio in New Jersey that you could come to if you’re any good. I know a lot of good musicians. Don’t be fooled by my appearance Min Yoongi. I’m more important than I seem." Hope told him. This was too good to be true. 

 

“I’m plenty of good Hope.” Yoongi said. 

 

“Really? Maybe we could talk more about this tomorrow. Come have lunch with me.” It was really too good to be true. This…this handsome thug just pushed his was so suddenly into his life but what did he have to lose other than his own life?  Tomorrow was Saturday and one of his few days he got off from his job. Yoongi nodded. He decided that a shot not taken was worse than a missed one.

 

“Give me your phone.” Yoongi put his hand out. There was no thought in his mind or feeling in his stomach that made him want to take his decision back. Hope daisies his eyebrow then smiled. He pulled an iPhone 5 out of his packet. A popular phone at the time. Yoongi would’ve only been able to afford it if he saved all of his paychecks for 3 months. He dialed his number in then called himself. He handed Hope his phone back with a sigh. 

 

“Hey Princess. If anyone asks, which they shouldn’t, I was not here tonight.” Yoongi groaned. 

 

“Why do you insist on calling me princess? I’m not a girl. I’m a man I have a . I’m manly. If I’m anything it’s a king.” Hope began to laugh. It was the kind of laugh you use when your best friend said something hilarious but Yoongi wasn’t joking.

 

“I like your confidence. You’re gonna need that if I’m about to make you famous. I call you princess and will continue to call you princess until I come up with something better, which I won’t. You’re cute and you talk all uppity like a princess should. I can tell this life style isn’t for you either. You walk like you were rich and daddy cut you off because you spent too much. Princess suits you.” Yoongi inhaled sharply. 

 

“Close but no. My parents kicked me out because I didn’t want to do business like my father.” Yoongi rolled his eyes. 

 

“Oh damn...” Hope was about to continue until his phone rang. He glanced at the screen. He stood up stretching his arms above his head. 

 

“I gotta leave now princess. The coast is clear. I’ll come pick you up for lunch.” He pat Yoongis head then walked out the door. 

 

He couldn’t believe this. He sank into the couch and sighed. This was too much. 

 

 

Who would’ve thought that would be the man he’d end up spending the rest of his life with...