Chapter 3

Smile Like You Mean It

A loud knock rang through Namjoons apartment. Namjoon groaned and rolled in his bed wondering who could be coming to bother him so early in the morning. He sat up in bed running his fingers through his messy bed hair grimacing when he smelled his morning breath. Little feet were heard running downstairs to open the door. 

 

“Why does Jungkook never listen to me?” He asked himself. He stood up stretching his arms above his head before leaving his room to greet whoever was bold enough to visit him. It was the weekend for Gods sake! It wasn’t a crime for a busy man like him to want to sleep in. He sluggishly walked down the steps groaning again when he reached the end. His body isn’t as young as it used to be. 

 

“Dad! Dad! Look who’s here!” Jungkook was so loud. Namjoon opened his eyes wider and rubbed the cold from them to see his brother Hoseok with his fiancé Yoongi. Namjoon wanted to curse, badly, but held his tongue because his son was in the room. 

 

“Kookie, go to your room to wash up they’ll be down here when you’re finished. Maybe we can go to lunch or something when you’re ready.” His son nodded his head and ran up the stairs to do what his father said. When Jungkook made it to his room Namjoon snapped his head to the surprise guests in his living room who were awfully quiet. They were probably aware of the wrath that was about to be unleashed.

 

“What. The. ! You couldn’t have called in advance? What if I wasn’t home? What if Jungkook was somewhere else. I could’ve shot you both you know. You could have died!” Namjoon whisper yelled. He didn’t want Kook to run back downstairs. 

 

Yoongi rolled his eyes while Hoseok threw his head back laughing. 

 

“Joon dude chill. We knew you’d be home because your lazy always sleeps in on Sundays. You wouldn’t have shot us or anyone for that matter because you came down the stairs so slow.” Hoseok said taking a seat in front of the TV. Namjoon huffed. Of course they wouldn’t have been intimidated. Why did he even bother?

 

“On a more serious note, we have some updates for you about the…family business” Yoongi said sitting down next to fiance. Whenever he entered a room everyone went silent. His presence was very dominating and he demanded attention. Namjoon couldnt have been happier that Hoseok met him. They contrasted each other but it worked so well and Yoongi was such a valuable member of Beyond The Scene. 

 

Namjoon sighs and rubs his forehead. For him it’s way too early to be dealing with anything outside of his son. He grabs a chair to sit in front of his brother and future brother in law. 

 

“First of all, on the south side of Chicago there’s a new gang forming. If I were you I’d show them who’s boss before they get too big. In New York the owner of those famous steakhouse chains tried to swindle us of 100,000 dollars. Zelo handled him accordingly and we got our money. Things are running smoothly overseas. We’ve started an arms trade with Portugal and Ethiopa. Lastly, Hoseok and I are getting married in Jeju in August. Be there and bring Kookie or I’ll kick your flat .” Yoongi finished. Hoseok sat back smiling widely and full of pride. Yoongi was so amazing to him even when he was threatening his brother. 

 

Namjoon held the bridge of his nose. He really didn’t want to deal with any rookies. He’d have to find someone to take care of them today. He just wanted to relax but the universe seems to want otherwise. He sat back in his chair when Jungkook came running back down the stairs bathed and fully clothed. Namjoon opened his arms welcoming his son to sit on his lap. When Jungkook sat down he buried his nose in his hair and sighed. Today may not have gone as planned (his plan being to sit on his and eat takeout all day) but Kookie is happy that his uncles are here so Namjoon will try to be happy too. 

 

“Uncle Hobi! Uncle Yoon! Dad had a date yesterday with this really pretty man. His name was Jin and he brought me a toy!” . Namjoon didn’t plan to tell them about that. His face warmed up and the tips of his ears turned red. When he looked up Hoseok and Yoongi were staring at him. 

 

“When were you planning to tell us about this?” Hobi said with his eyebrow raised and arm wrapped around Yoongis shoulder.

 

“Never.” Namjoon mumbled. 

 

“Too bad. How was it? Did you really think that we weren’t gonna find out?” Yoongi asked. Namjoon huffed again. He had no choice but to tell them. 

 

“Listen, don’t tell mom about it. I met Jin 2 days ago and I don’t wanna sound cheesy but I’m starting to believe in love at first sight. He’s the prettiest man I’ve ever seen so I invited him over for dinner but forgot that I can’t cook to save anyones life. Turns out he can cook though so he made dinner for us then watched movies with me and Kook. He’s gonna be my date to my office party and I can’t wait to see him again. Don’t tell dad either.” Namjoon ranted. He could talk about Jin forever.

 

“I’m gonna have to disagree with you on that one Joon. Have you seen Kim Yoongi? Prettiest man any of us have ever seen. No one tops that.” Hoseok said. Yoongi smiled and turned to kiss his fiance. Jungkook and Namjoon turned to gag. 

 

“But Uncle Hobi Jin is really pretty and nice! I want him to be my new dad.” Namjoon choked on his spit while his brother laughed. He has to make sure that his son doesn’t run his mouth to his parents either. If they found out they’d fly out here and bug him until they met Jin. Namjoon didn’t need that kind of stress in his life. 

 

“Alright. Let’s make a deal. If you don’t want me to tell mom and dad then we have to meet him today.” Hoseok said. Namjoons eyes widened. Did he really not want his parents to know that badly? Yes. 

 

“But…I’ve only known him for a couple of days you guys. I don’t know if that’s the best idea.” Namjoon said trying to talk himself out of the deal. 

 

“Yea but you were talking about how he’s your love at first sight and stuff. Let us meet him or I’m gonna make you tell our parents yourself.” Hoseok responded. When Namjoon was gonna retaliate his phone rang from upstairs. Jungkook ran to get it before he could stop him and brought it back down. 

 

“Good Morning Jin! It’s Kookie! I was talking to my uncles about you and they really wanna meet you. We’re gonna go to eat because my dad can’t cook. Can you please please please come with us.” If Namjoon could run away he would have. 

 

Jin sat on his couch blushing. He didn’t want to say no to Jungkook so he asked to speak to Namjoon. Jungkook handed the phone over to his father.

 

“Put it on speaker!” Hoseok whispered. Namjoon rolled his eyes but put the phone on speaker.

 

“Hello? Joonie?” Yoongi hid his chuckle behind his hand. He turned to his fiance where they both started to mouth “Joonie” to each other. Namjoon was never going to live this down. 

 

“Hey Jin! Good morning, how did you sleep?” Namjoon tried to ignore his family in the background. 

 

“I slept well. I fell asleep right after talking to you. I had a lot of fun yesterday.” Jin responded. A smile grew on Namjoons face. 

 

“That’s good! Can I ask why I have the pleasure of hearing your voice the morning?” Hoseok gagged. Jungkook was trying not to giggle. Namjoon rolled his eyes again. The only child in the room should’ve been his son but it doesn’t seem like it.

 

“Yeah…I was calling to see what you were doing today actually but Jungkook said that his uncles are in town so…I guess you are busy.” Jin said. 

 

“Ask him to breakfast you idiot!” Hoseok mouthed to him. Namjoon took a deep breath. 

 

“Actually, if it isn’t too much for you we were gonna leave for breakfast in about an hour and I’d really like it if you came along. Any time spent with you is a good time.” Namjoon blushed. He wanted to kick himself in the . 

 

Jin was smiling. Little did Namjoon know Jin was in a similar situation. Jimin and Taehyung were sitting next to the phone grinning while listening to their conversation. 

 

“Go to breakfast Jinnie!” Jimin said. Taehyung gave a thumbs up encouraging him to go. 

 

“I wouldn’t mind going. I do want to see Jungkook again.” Jin chuckled.

 

Namjoons eyes widened “What about me?” 

 

Jin chuckled again “I guess I could see you too. I can meet you at your house in an hour?”

 

“Yeah an hour is good. See you in a minute Jin.”

 

“Bye Joonie!” 

 

They both hang up the phone and fall back into their seats. 

 

Hoseok stands up to walk around and pat Namjoon on his back. 

 

“Alright big bro you’ve gotta get ready because you smell foul.” Hoseok says. Namjoon stands up and smacks Hoseok in the back of the head before going up the stairs to get ready for Jin.

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

To Hoseok there was only one thing better than spending time with Yoongi and that was spending time with Jungkook. When Namjoon had gotten up to shower Hoseok had picked up his favorite and only nephew and spun him around. 

 

“Kookie I missed you so much in New York! You’ve gotta come visit your favorite uncle” He said still spinning. He stopped after he could feel himself starting to get dizzy and put Kookie down. Jungkook laughed at his uncle for being so silly. For Jungkook the only thing better than spending time with his father was being with his uncle Hobi and Yoongi. 

 

Yoongi got off the couch to grab their bags from the front door. 

 

“We brought some stuff for you Kookie. When you come to visit us again we’ll take you to the big toy store in Times Square.” Yoongi smiled at the boy. Jungkook eagerly clapped his hands. He loved when his uncles came to visit. Hoseok and Yoongi had brought three suitcases with them. One of them being full of things to give to Kookie. 

 

“We couldn’t remember which superhero you liked so we bought all the superhero toys. There’s some coloring books and markers in there somewhere. Yoongi got you a stuffed bunny too for you to sleep with.” At this point the young boy was bouncing on his toys. He knew that his dad didn’t like other people spoiling him but who was he to deny free toys? Especially from his favorite (and only) uncles. 

 

“Thank you! I  love you guys so much!” Kookie said while digging through the suitcase of stuff. Hoseok smiled with his hand over his chest. Yoongi cuddled into Hoseoks chest smiling while watching Jungkook try to open his toys. 

 

Hoseok had just gotten up to help out his nephew when there was a knock at the door. The only people who were able to get up to the apartment without speaking with the doorman were him and Yoongi. The building was more heavily guarded than it seemed. Namjoon was a mafia boss after all. He must’ve given someone special entry if they were just able to walk up here. The person knocked on the door again. Hoseok putting his hand on the gun on his waist and cautiously walked to the door. Yoongi stood in front of Jungkook watching Hoseok just in case it was someone dangerous. 

 

Hoseok looked through the peephole to see a man with broad shoulders. 

 

“Who is it?” Hoseok asked with dominance in his voice attempting to intimidate the man at the door. Yoongi shivered. Hearing his fiance talk like that always gave him an adrenaline rush. 

 

“It’s Jin!” Hoseok and Yoongi let out a sigh of relief. Hoseok opened the door right as Namjoon was walking down the stairs. 

 

Jin walked in. Hoseok turned around to look at his older brother. “Special access huh? You are such a er.” He said to Namjoon. 

 

Namjoon rolled his eyes again. He was starting to get concerned that if he rolled them anymore they’d get stuck in his head. Namjoon approached Jin and spread his arms silently asking for a hug. When Jin and Namjoon were alone Namjoon was such a dork but he couldn’t be that way in front of his brothers. They’d never let him hear the end of it. Jin wrapped his arms around his Joonies torso and buried his head in his chest. Their hearts were racing but he was so comfortable and warm. It just felt so right to the both of them. They didn’t realize how long they were standing there until they heard someone clear their throat. 

 

“So are we gonna be introduced or do I have to do it myself?” Yoongi asked with his arms crossed on his chest. He was still standing in front of Jungkook who was too focused on his new things to even realize that Jin was in his living room. Namjoon cleared his throat. 

 

“Jin this is my future brother in law Yoongi.” He said pointing to the man. Yoongi grinned and stuck his hand out shaking hands with Jin. Yoongi only wanted to come off mean when it came to handling business with BTS. Jin smiled at Yoongi wanting to make a good impression on the smaller man. Jin didn’t know him well but he could tell that the man would be fierce if necessary. 

 

“This is my younger brother Hoseok. He’s gonna be marrying Yoongi in August.” Jin turned to the man that opened the door for him to shake his hand but Hoseok had pulled him into a hug. 

 

“Don’t worry about formalities Jin! Joon really likes you so that means we’re all good!” Jin pulled out of the hug laughing. 

 

Namjoon pulled him back to his side. “Joonie where’s Kookie?” Jin asked. When Jungkook heard Jins voice he stood up and ran from behind Yoongi almost tripping the older man to get to Jin. Jungkook wrapped his arms around Jins legs. Jin giggled. He was excited to see Jungkook too.

 

“If everyone is ready we can head to breakfast now.” Yoongi said. Everyone put their shoes and jackets on to leave the apartment. 

 

 

Jin and Namjoon were the last to leave. Before stepping out Jin pulled Namjoon to him and softly kissed his lips. Namjoon felt like he was floating. Whatever irritation he felt before was totally gone. 

 

“I know it was only a few hours but I missed you.” Jin blushed. 

 

Namjoon grinned. His blood was rushing too fast to do anything else. He grabbed Jin’s hand and left for the garage. 

 

The others had waited for them in the hallway. They decided to take one car to make their lives easier by only having to find one park instead of 2. 

 

Everyone had piled into Namjoons Tesla. He let Jungkook choose the car for the day again. He wasn’t a shallow person and hoped that Jin wasn’t either but he also hoped that he impressed him with his taste in vehicles and amount of them sitting in the garage. Hoseok, Yoongi, and Kookie climbed into the backseat letting Jin have the front seat. Namjoon had pulled out of the garage and reached over to grab Jins hand while he drove. 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 

The radio was softly playing music. Namjoon had been really into rap for his whole life so it was no surprise to the others except maybe Jin that that would be playing. Namjoon didn’t water his music down for Jungkook. He believed that his son deserved to hear some good music. They headed north on Lake Shore Drive to get a breakfast nook on the Northside. Jin was looking out the window staring at the lake. The ice covering it had finally melted so the waves were back and pretty today.  Jungkook sat in the middle watching his dad and hopefully his new dad in the front seats. Jungkook really likes Jin maybe more than his dad so he’s really hoping that he joins his small family. 

 

Hoseok and Yoongi didnt come to Chicago often so they loved driving down here to see the different building and the lake. It was so different from New York and they really needed the scenery change. Recently handling BTS was easy so they used the time to take a break and get out of their city.  

 

Namjoon had found a park in front of a restaurant called Clarke’s. It was a restaurant in Rogers Park famous for their breakfast. Namjoon had gotten out to pay for parking and sent everyone else into the restaurant.  

 

“Hello welcome to Clarke’s! How many?” The hostess asked.

 

“Table for 5 please.” Hoseok said. It wasn’t busy that morning so they were all seated almost immediately. When the waitress came and dropped off their menus Hoseok and Yoongi finally began their questioning. 

 

“So Jin, how did you guys meet?” Yoongi asked. Jin looked at Namjoon unsure if he should tell them. Jin didn’t have any shame about his job. He just didn’t want to look bad in from of Namjoons family.  When Jin was gonna open his mouth Namjoon answered instead. 

 

“Hobi you remember how I told you I needed a date for the party and you phoned those people?  Jin is who they sent and he wasn’t who I was expecting and from there we just really hit it off.” Namjoon said with confidence. He wasn’t ashamed of Jins job either. 

 

Hoseok nodded his head. The waitress came to take their orders.

 

“So why an Jin?” Yoongi asked. Jin sighed. He knew they’d ask him this but he was prepared. Everyone at the table looked at him. Jungkook didn’t know what an was, he just wanted to hear Jin speak. 

 

Jin began to explain. “I was going to school for law and my parents were paying for my tuition but they both died in a car accident. I needed money desperately to be able to keep living in my apartment. I had to drop out of school and almost no one would hire me. That’s when I  met 

Rose who introduced me to her boss. I wasn’t comfortable with it at first but it helps keep the lights on and food in my fridge so I put up with it.” Yoongi made a noise of understanding. Underneath the table Namjoon had began to rub Jins thigh for comfort. He didn’t know about that. 

 

“Where do you live if you don’t mind me asking?” Hoseok asked.

“It’s no problem. I stay in Hyde Park with my two roommates. They’re names are Jimin and Taehyung they’re both art majors.” Jin smiled thinking about his roommates. He wondered how they were doing at home. Namjoons thoughts were racing. He wanted to help Jin. He had  enough money to. He didn’t want Jin tone an anymore. 

 

After Jin had answered that question their food had arrived. 

 

The silverware clanking against plates wasn’t enough to stop Namjoon from thinking. His hand was still resting in Jins lap. Jin reached under the table to squeeze it letting the other man know that he was okay. Conversation afterwards had been about lighter things like childhood memories and stories about Namjoon embarrassing himself. 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 

When breakfast was over Namjoon had dropped everyone except Jin back off to his apartment building. 

 

“Do you want to go on a drive with me?” Namjoon had an idea and he needed to talk to Jin about it before he acted on it. Jin smiled and nodded his head. 

 

Namjoon pulled off and started heading south. The genre on the radio had changed to some R&B artist. Namjoon cut the radio off. They were at a stop light. His heart was racing but when wasn’t it when he was around the beautiful man. 

 

“Jin…Quit your job.” It was a bold statement. Jin gasped. 

 

“Why would I do that? You heard me at breakfast I need the money.” Jin was almost yelling. Who does Namjoon think he is? 

 

“I heard the conversation. I was there. I  know this is moving really fast but let me take care of you. I have more than enough money for all of us. I own a law firm Jin if you ever wanted to go back to school you’d have a job with me. Jin please let me take care of you. I really like you and don’t want to share you with anyone else. Jin please.” Namjoon felt like he was throwing words up but he meant every last one. 

 

Jin sighed. “Namjoon…I don’t want to be a freeloader. I wanna earn my money.”

 

“Then be my . Just mine. I know it’s stupid but you’d be earning your money. You’d be doing what you do now except only for me. I can pay for you to go back to school. You could move in with me if you want to. Jungkook loves you and I trust you enough to be around my son. You could be a live in babysitter. Whatever you want.” Namjoon said. He was desperate. He didn’t know where these feelings came from but he wanted Jin to live his best life and it would be even better if Jin could live it with him. 

 

“Jin please.” Namjoon drove around a corner. He didn’t know where he was going. He just wanted to be with Jin. 

 

Jins head was dropped. His hands were holding each other in his lap. He wanted to cry. It took everything he had not to. 

 

“Why?” Jins voice wavered. “Why do you care so much?” It wasn’t like Jin never had people care for him before but no one has ever made him feel like this either. 

 

“Honestly, I’ve never felt this way about anyone before. I was forced to marry Jungkook’s mother. I never loved her. I never loved anyone other than my son and my family.” Namjoon turned to look at Namjoon. The sunlight was shining through his window onto Jins face. The man looked ethereal. 

 

“What happened to Kookie mother?” Jins heart as about to burst.

 

“She died during childbirth. I felt more for my son than I did for her. Jin, I really care you. My son cares for you. Just let me take care of you. We can go as fast or as slow as you want but please understand that I meant everything I said.” Namjoon said.  He put his hands on top of Jins intertwining their fingers. 

 

“Jin while you’re thinking there’s something I have to tell you because I’m sure you know all my money doesn’t come from the law firm. You have to promise not to tell anyone.” Jin became nervous. What kind of secrets did this man have?

 

“I’m a mafia leader Jin. Me and my brother run BTS but I promise you’ll never be in harms way. You’ll always be protected. I just couldn’t bear to start a relationship with you having secrets.”  Now Namjoon was nervous. He really hoped Jin didn’t look at him differently. 

 

“I’ll do it Joonie. It doesn’t matter to me what you do as long as you’re the same person I have these feelings for but I don’t want to leave my roommates to deal with the rent themselves and they’d probably destroy the house if I left them for too long.” Jin chuckled. His eyes full of unshed tears. 

 

“I’ll take care of it Jin. Don’t worry about anything. At all. When are you ready to move in with me?” Namjoon stopped at another stoplight and pulled Jin to him to kiss his forehead. 

 

“Whenever you’re ready for me.” Jin responded.

 

“I’m ready now.” Namjoon smiled. He was glad that Jin had agreed. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Later that day Jin called his boss to let him know that he was quitting. The boss was disappointed but agreed with Jin when it came to him deserving more. 

 

His roommates were happy he didn’t have to work there anymore but were sad when they found out he was leaving. Jin promised to come and check on them often. He kept his house keys. 

 

Namjoon shared his plan with his brother and Yoongi. Yoongi called him an idiot and warned him to be careful. Hoseok was happy that his brother found someone to feel so passionately for. Jungkook was just happy that he’d be seeing Jin all of the time. Jin would be moving in after his brother and fiance left. It was the start of something new. Everyone had concerns or fears but Namjoon and Jin were only hoping for the best. 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Bonus? 

 

Jungkooks iPad was ringing. The only people that called him on there were his grandparents and his uncles. He knew it wasn’t his uncles because they were in the next room. It had to be one of his grandparents. He hit the green button.

 

 

“Kookie! Hello! How are you?” Namjoon and Hoseok’s mother was on the phone.

 

“Hey Grandma! I’m so good! Uncle Hobi and Uncle Yoongi are visiting me!” Jungkook responded.

 

“Oh that’s so cool! What did my favorite grandson do today? Me and Grandpa miss you so much!” His grandma smiled at her grandson.

 

“Today Uncle Hobi and Uncle Yoongi brought me toys and then we went with daddy and his boyfriend to breakfast. Oh! Daddy’s boyfriend is going to move in next week and I’m so excited!” Jungkook was bouncing in his seat. He was so excited for Jin.

 

Really? Joon has a boyfriend? What’s his name? Is he pretty?” His grandma asked.

 

“He is so pretty and nice and I love him! His name is Jin.” Jungkook answered.

 

“Jin? Like Seokjin? Bring the phone to your dad.” Her eyes went wide. 

 

Ok Grandma.” Kookie grabs his iPad and leaves his room. He walks to the living room and hands it to his father. 

 

“Kim Namjoon! When were you gonna tell me about Jin? You know I knew his parents?  How is he? Are you treating him right? You better be or I swear to God Kim Namjoon…” She started ranting. Hoseok and Yoongi were laughing their asses off in the background. Namjoon groaned.