Chapter 1

Smile Like You Mean It

Jin

 

Everything is blurry. My body is so sore and heavy. Man, I am exhausted. I sit up in bed and stretch my arms above my head. When I’m getting ready to stand I hear a crash coming from the kitchen. That can only be Taehyung. I grab my phone to see that it’s 1:07pm and I have 3 missed calls from my boss…I HAVE 3 MISSED CALLS FROM MY BOSS!! It’s too early for this . I immediately call my boss while making my way to the kitchen.

“Hello?”

“Finally!! I’ve been trying to call you all ing morning Jin!” I pull the phone back from my ear and turn the volume down.

“I know. I’m so sorry I was so tired last night and slept through my phone ringing. What’s up?” I stop walking in the hallway. “You have a meeting with the CEO of a company. He wants you to accompany him to a company party. The pay is good…like amazing! Anyways, since you didn’t pick up I set the meeting for 5pm today. I text you the address. Good luck.” My boss hangs up the phone and I’m left with my racing thoughts. It was kind of unusual for a client to want to meet with me. I’m just going to assume that he cares about his reputation.

I make it to the kitchen to find Tae covered head to toe in some white powder. Jimin was bent over the counter laughing loudly then stood up wiping tears from his eyes. Why do things like this always happen to me?

“Tae…Jimin…would either of you care explaining what the hell is happening in our kitchen?” Every day at least once I consider kicking them out but I love them too much. “Well I was hungry this morning and we didn’t feel like waking you up, so Tae suggested that we make pancakes and you know how much I love pancakes. I didn’t stop to remember that Tae can’t cook for so I turn around for what feels like 3 seconds only to turn back and see him covered in flour.” Jimin explains.

“It’s flour in my . Wouldn’t be the first time.” Taehyung sighs. I roll my eyes. I’m not gonna question him I don’t want to know about his experiences with and baking ingredients. Jimin throws his head back in laughter again. Why do I even bother? I turn to leave the kitchen having faith that they’re going to clean up their mess. I want to lay back down but I remember the meeting that I have with that boss so I go to my bathroom instead. I like to think that I live very comfortably. My bathroom is en suite. Jimin and Tae both have their own rooms. I have no idea what I was thinking renting an apartment with three rooms but it worked out in the end. My kitchen appliances are modern. My fridge is always full or at least it is before my roommates get to it. That’s good enough for me. After brushing my teeth and showering I stand in front of my closet deciding what to wear. He’s a CEO so do I wear a suit? Can I wear a sweater? It’s not a formal meeting though. I decide against the suit. I grab a black button up dress shirt from a hanger then grab a black sweater with a white stripe across it from next to it. I put the button up on first then slide my sweater over on top of it. Half of my outfit down another half to go. I walk over to my dresser with my towel still wrapped round my waist. I grab a pair of underwear and socks then put them on letting my towel drop to the floor. I open another drawer on my dresser to pull out a black pair of knee-less pants. I look at the clock and see that I have about 2 hours left until I have to go and meet the man. I grab a tan coat from my closet and leave to go to the front room.

I make a detour to the kitchen to grab a bagel and make sure that it’s clean. Tae and Jimin did a fairly good job. I finish my bagel and sweep the crumbs off the counter and into my hand so I can put them in the garbage can. I walk to the front room and plop down on my couch while throwing my legs across Tae’s lap.

“Any plans today hung?” Tae says. “Yea, I’m about to leave in a few minutes actually. I have to go meet with a client.” Tae hums with acknowledgement then goes back to watching whatever he put on the TV. I. Am. So. Tired. My eyes slowly start to close but I’m too lazy to even try and keep them open.

———

I wake up to someone roughly shaking me. “Hyung! Jin hyung! Wake up or you’re gonna be late!” My eyesight is blurry and there’s a pain in my neck. I turn my head to look at the cable box and see that it’s 4:30! It’s a good thing that everything in Chicago is so close. I hop off the couch grab my coat and dash to the front door. After putting on my shoes and grabbing my keys I run to my car. I slide into the drivers seat grab a piece of gum from the glove compartment because I refuse to meet him being anything less than perfect. The boss made this client seem like a really big deal. After starting the ignition I had to Lake Shore Drive speeding to my destination.

Namjoon

Joji’s Window loudly blasts through my apartment. I sit up and stretch my back groaning with my arms above my head. I roll out of bed to go wake my son up. I decided to take him to work with me today. After yesterday’s fallout I don’t really want him to go anywhere else, plus it’s not like his family can babysit with them all being so far away. I knock on Jungkooks door and open it to wake him up but I can hear that the water is already running in his bathroom. I leave to go back to my bathroom and start preparing for the day. After showering I walk into my closet to grab a suit and a pair of dress shoes. I took my time getting dressed knowing that Kookie was gonna take forever trying to pick out an outfit. After clothing myself I walk back to Kookies room with my shoes in my hand to check his progress.

“How are things going bud?” I say poking my head into the door. Jungkook is pulling a red shirt with a green dinosaur on the front over his head. When he finishes he gives a thumbs up then walks to his closet to find a pair of shoes and grab his backpack. He’s always so quiet in the morning but I can’t blame him. I go downstairs to drop my shoes off at the front door and wait on Jungkook. Normally I’d make him a piece of toast or let one of the maids who come to clean the house make breakfast but I’m not in the mood today. Kookie runs down the stairs ready to go.

We both put our shoes on and grab our coats off of the rack. I don’t bother asking him which car to take because I know that he’s going to say the Tesla. We make our way to the elevator to head to the garage. By the time we’re buckled in and getting into the car it’s 9:30 a.m. Kookie is dozing off in the backseat but I know he’s hungry. On the way to work I stop at a Starbucks to get a coffee, a hot chocolate for Jungkook, and a couple of croissants to eat for when he wakes up. I’m gonna take my son out for lunch today. I know that he’s gonna need the breather. Being trapped in an office is bound to drive anyone to boredom. By the time we make it to the office building Jungkook is out cold. I park the car then reach back to gently shake him so that he could get ready to walk into the building. While Kookie is waking up I get out of the car to grab our food and my briefcase. Jungkook hops out of the car and walks around to grab my hand. Before we started walking I looked down at my son and smiled. Nothing or no one can bring me joy the way that he does. Kookie looks back at me and smiles too his warm brown eyes forming crescents and his two top teeth poking out on to his bottom lip. So innocent. We walk to my office hand in hand ready to start the day.

— — —

I was sitting at my desk with Jungkook sitting on the couch across from me when a loud knock came from the door. “Come in!” I shout.

The door knob twists and one of the interns pokes her head in. “Hello Mr.Kim. I’m just stopping by to inform you of a company party that’s coming up next week. Everyone is required to bring a partner. It was supposed to be a surprise for you but I figured that wouldn’t be fair considering that you don’t really like surprises.” She finishes.

A surprise? For me? That doesn’t make any sense.

“A surprise? What for? And why do I need a partner?” I ask. She stands with her hands behind her back and tucks a piece of her black hair behind her ear while glancing at Jungkook. He seems to be just as confused as I am.

“Well...we just wanted to celebrate all of the successes we had last year. Everyone is bringing a partner or family member and we didn’t want you to show up alone.” I sigh. Being the head of the firm I couldn’t just turn it down. That’s bad for my appearance. Jungkook sighs too from where he’s sitting with his iPad propped up on his lap. I turn to him and we stare at each other before I confirm that I will be there. She tells me to have a nice rest of the day and leaves the office.

“Kookie what do I do man?” I ask. He raises an eyebrow and laughs.

“I don’t know dad. I don’t handle this type of stuff and I don’t really want to. Why don’t you call uncle Hobi?” I roll my eyes but the kid is right. I pick up my phone to call my brother.

He picks up on the second ring.

“What’s up Joon?” “I have a party I have to be at next week and I have to bring someone with me. I don’t now what to do.” Hoseok sighs really loudly. I can practically hear him rolling his eyes through the phone.

“Aren’t you supposed to have a super IQ or some ? Call an man.” My eyes widen. An ?! I’ve never...I don’t...how does that even work? I put my palm flat against my forehead and groan.

“Hobi...I have no idea how that works and my IQ doesn’t mean anything in this situation, plus what am I gonna do with Kookie? I can’t leave him at home by himself!”

“Luckily for you, Yoongi and I are flying out there next week anyways to see him. So don’t worry about that we’ll watch him. I’m gonna call some people I know in Chicago and set you up with someone to drag along to your stuffy get together.”

“Wait! If you guys are coming then why won’t one of you come with me?” That made sense to me.

“Because I want to see my nephew. Yoongi wants to see Jungkook. Neither of us want to sit in on one of your boring parties when we could be doing something else.” He laughs. I’d be offended but he’s not lying. These things are pretty dry.

“Fine. Whatever. I’m trusting you. Send me all the details. Bye.” I put my phone on my desk and run my fingers through my hair. Kookie runs over and crawls into my lap.

“What did Uncle Hobi day?” He asks taking my hands out of my hair so that he could play with it himself.

“Well...he’s gonna here a friend to come with me and you, you lucky little boy get to spend the night with them.” I raise my head to look at him. He’s grinning so widely I feel bad for being irritated about it.

“I’m going to New York?!” “No. You have school. They’re coming to Chicago to see you.” I chuckle.

While me and my son are talking my phone dings.

Kim Hoseok: Yo you have a meeting with Kim Seokjin at 5. He’s coming to your building. Don’t be awkward or I swear to God things wont be nice for you next week.

Me: Are you really threatening your boss?

Kim Hoseok: Did you forget that I’m a boss too? Jeez…

I laugh and put my phone back down. I look at the time to see that it’s already 4:30. I tell Jungkook that I have a meeting to get ready for. He gets off of my lap to sit back on the couch to do whatever he was doing on his iPad. I stand up to leave my office to go towards a meeting room on the same floor. I’m nervous. You’d think that with my other…profession that I would be fearless but this is different. I listen to my heels click against the wood floor trying to calm my self down before I turned the corner and walked into the office. Not that it really matters because I have 30 minutes left. I open the door to my meeting room and sit at the head of the table. I grab the desk phone closest to let the secretary know that I’m expecting Kim Seokjin to arrive and to let her know what room he should come to. After hanging up the phone I let my mind wonder. Who is this man? I’m about to find out. I don’t remember telling Hoseok that I’m biual either but he has always been good at finding stuff out. There’s a knock at the door that brings me out of my thoughts. I look the clock in the middle of the room and see that it’s 4:45. The man was early. Time can really fly when you’re lost in your mind.

“Come in!” I could have gotten up to open the door but my legs were like jelly from the adrenaline. The door opens and in walks the most beautiful man I’ve ever seen. The first thing I notice is his smile. It was gentle and polite. It was sweet. His eyes were warm when they looked at me. He is sohandsome. 

— — — —

“Hello. My name is Namjoon. Thanks for meeting with me on such short notice.” A tall man with blonde hair says with a wide smile sticking his hand out for the other man to shake.

“My name is Seokjin but everyone calls me Jin. It’s nice to meet you as well. Don’t worry about it being short notice. Have you ever done anything like this before?” Jin says while shaking Namjoons hand. Jin was amazed. He was expecting someone much older and uptight but this man was gorgeous.

They gazed into each others eyes until Namjoon cleared his throat. Jin looked down to see that they were still holding hands and released.

“No actually. I’ve never hired an , it was actually my brothers idea. I don’t know what I was so nervous for though. You’re beautiful.” Smooth Namjoon. All the nerves the man had previously were gone. Jin blushes at Namjoon’s compliment. It wasn’t his first time being complimented. The man knew he was good looking but for some reason hearing it from Namjoon made his stomach flutter.

“Well…thank you. What are you trying to get out of this?” Jin asks, pulling a seat from the table to sit in while still looking at his client.

“I’m having a company party next week and just need someone to attend with me. My brother and fiancé refused to go and it’s not like I can bring my 7 year old son with me.” Namjoon replies sitting down directly in front of Jin and leaning back in his chair.

“Son? If he’s anything like you he has got to be adorable. What’s his name?” Smooth Seokjin. Jins eyes light up, he loves children. He always wanted some of his own but never had the funds or the right person to have them with. Namjoon is excited. Not too many of the people he talks to are interested in his personal life or Jungkook. He could talk about his son for hours but today he isn’t going to. He really likes Jin.

“Yeah, his name is Jungkook. He’s the light of my life. How long have you been in your business for?” Namjoon doesn’t ever want this to end. He’s never felt this comfortable around anyone before. He smiles letting his dimples show.

“Only a couple of years. Before this I went to law school but had to stop because I couldn’t afford it.” Jin sighs. Namjoon sighs along with him.

“I’m sorry but I’ll tell you what. I want to get to know you some more. Can I give you my number and meet you for dinner tomorrow?” Where did this confidence come from? Who is anxious Namjoon? Never heard of him. Jin laughs. Namjoon is pleasantly surprised by the sound that’s kinda similar to a windshield wiper but it just makes Jin that much more cute to him.

“Yeah. Of course. I’ll text you later.” Jin doesn’t usually give his number out to clients but this one…this one is different. He was aways worried about the consequences of falling for a client but he doesn’t seem to care today. Namjoon is nice and handsome. Jin hands the other man his phone so he can enter his number. They both stand up and shake hands again. Jin wants to pull away but the warmth of the other mans smooth palm is keeping him stuck there. They say their goodbyes and slowly let go of each other.

Jin walks out of the office first. On his way out the door he looks back and waves at Namjoon then leaves. After the door closes Jin stands in front of it letting out a deep breath. Namjoon is on the other side with his hand on the back of his neck.

 

 

…Is love at first sight a real thing?

 

Link to Jins outfit: https://pm1.narvii.com/6351/ecc09dda6b557964612100fce9ab358720dca0cd_hq.jpg

Link to Namjoons outfit: https://pm1.narvii.com/6537/9a754b590a2b9238bdf92d7e6ee82b82105a87de_hq.jpg