Chapter 4

Smile Like You Mean It

The day of the party approached and Jin was on his way to meet Namjoon at his apartment.  Yoongi and Hoseok were still in Chicago and preparing to babysit Jungkook for the night. They were leaving the day after. Namjoon had already had a conversation with them about Jin moving in. Yoongi wasn’t too enthusiastic about the move but of course, Hoseok was. The brothers were not known for being spontaneous. Namjoon would rather calculate his every move before making a decision but his impulsive idea to let Jin so suddenly in his life shows how much he cares for the other man, and Hoseok was just happy that his brother finally found someone to share his life with. 

 

Namjoon was in his room putting on the finishing touches of his outfit for the night. There was a knock on the door. He assumed it was Jin and knew that someone else would be able to let him in. He pulled up the sleeve on his suit jacket to look at the time on the golden Rolex on his left wrist. He didn’t really care for flashy things because he already had everything he needed but that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t like to show off every once in a while. Tonight was the perfect opportunity for that. Namjoon spritzed Tom Fords “Oud Wood Intense” on his neck and behind his ears before heading downstairs. It was strangely quiet in his living room, even Jungkook was quiet. The only notable sound was the TV but the volume was low. Namjoon slid his hand into his pants grabbing the hidden gun on the holster that he always kept on him. He slowly walked down his stairs with socked feet, his shoes were at the door waiting to be put on. When he reached the bottom he whipped the gun out aiming towards the couch and taking off the safety prepared to shoot. He heard a gasp and quickly snapped his head in the direction of the sound. It was Jungkook. The boy dropped the toy that was in his arms. With his eyes wide and mouth slightly open, he took slow careful steps towards his father. Namjoon pocketed the gun and crouched with his arms out to engulf his son in a hug. 

 

“Dad.. why were you pointing a gun at uncle Yoongi? Why do you have a gun? I thought they were only real on TV and police people.” Namjoon sighed. The older man pulled his son even closer to his chest. 

“Dad keeps a gun because he has to make sure that we’re all safe. Not everyone is so nice Kook. I didn’t mean to point the gun at Yoongi, I was just afraid that you and I were in trouble. Now that you know I have a gun do not go looking for it. They are very dangerous and I don’t want you to be hurt.” Namjoon pulled Jungkook in front of him to look him in his eyes. 

 

His son was still confused and opened his mouth to ask more questions but Namjoon quickly stood up. He wasn’t ready to answer all of the questions Jungkook he had to ask. On top of that, he had a fear that the questions would lead to him wanting to know about BTS. He could trust Jin with that secret but his young, pure, impressionable son wasn’t ready. Jungkook still believed in Santa Clause and doesn’t understand that Spongebob is the same sponge they use to do the dishes. Namjoon couldn’t take that innocence from Jungkook yet. 

 

Someone cleared their throat while the man was lost in his thoughts. He looked up to see Yoongi standing front of him with Hoseok close behind. The shorter man's arms were crossed and his foot was quickly tapping on the hardwood floor. He wanted to punch Namjoon in that dimpled cheek of his but he held back for the sake of Jungkook and Jin. Hoseok however, didn’t care about embarrassing Namjoon and went to grab his brother by his ear pulling him to the couch. Namjoon was thrown next to Jin and landed with a grunt. Hoseok approached Namjoon with clenched teeth and squinted eyes. He grabbed the man roughly by his collar almost ruining the outfit Namjoon worked so hard to put together. 

 

"If you ever, in your life, point a gun at my husband again, I will not hesitate to kill you. Brother or not." Hoseok hissed. He rarely got mad but his husband being put in harm's way was no laughing matter. Hoseok stepped back then took a deep breath. Namjoon should have been offended that his brother thought he could get rid of him so easily but he understood the consequences of endangering a loved one. If Hoseok pointed a gun at Jungkook Namjoon wouldn't think before he shot Hoseok either. Yoongi was next. He pushed Hoseok out of the way then reached his hand back to knock Namjoon on the head with his stiff palm. 

 

"Are you an idiot? What if you had actually shot me? Then what? You would have traumatized your son and Jin! I can not believe that you would do something so stupid. There is no way anybody could be in trouble with me and Hoseok in this rundown you call an apartment." Yoongi spoke slowly and quietly. His anger was different from his husbands. It had a lasting effect whereas Hoseok only scared Namjoon for a short while. Namjoon really should not have been letting his brothers be so aggressive towards him but he deserved it. Yoongi was right. What if he had shot? He would have changed his son and his boyfriend's life but not for the better. He sighed again while sinking into the couch wishing he could just disappear. 

 

Jin stood up to pull Namjoon off the couch and into his arms. 

 

"I think you should apologize to everyone before we leave." Jin whispered in his ear. Namjoon nodded in agreement then straightened up. 

 

" I am so sorry everybody. You know that I would never purposely hurt someone I love my concern for my son came before my logic. Next time I'll be more careful." Yoongi rolled his eyes at his apology but grunted in acceptance. 

 

"Ok so, with that being said Joonie and I are gonna leave now. We're already running late to the party. Bye Kook." Jin said while waving at everyone else. He quickly walked to the door dragging his boyfriend behind him. When they reached the elevator Namjoon released another sigh causing Jin to turn and look at him. 

 

"You know, that isn't how I planned at all for this night to go. I was just genuinely concerned about Jungkooks safety." Namjoon scratched at his nape, hanging his head down in shame. It was Jin's turn to sigh.

 

"Listen, I get it but next time can you please investigate or something before you start pulling out dangerous weapons in front of your son or me. At least I know that I'll always be safe with you." Jin wrapped his fingers around Namjoons. He smiled hoping to cheer the other man up before they arrived at the office party. 

 

The car ride was spent in silence. Jin had nothing left to say and Namjoon was too wrapped in his thoughts to even start a conversation. His hands were gripping the steering wheel so hard that his veins were popping through the tanned skin. They pulled up to an upscale club that was only 15 minutes from the apartment. Namjoon stepped out of the driver seat to walk around to the passenger side to let out Jin. The night may have started terribly but that didn't mean he had to stop being a gentleman. Jin stepped out of the vehicle wrapping his arm around Namjoons. After giving the key to the valet the couple walked into the venue. 

 

  Chandeliers hung from the ceiling bathing the room in a gold hue. Waiters and waitresses walked around passing out hors-d'oeuvres with tall glasses of champagne. Namjoon was impressed. He didn't think that his company members were capable of pulling off such a fancy event. Namjoon led Jin to an empty table so that they wouldn't be bothered by anyone else. He knew that he should be social but why would he do that when already had the attention of the most beautiful person in the room. Namjoon wasn't worried about being in danger here. He had let his bodyguards know about the event and to be attentive for the whole night. Across the table, Jin surveyed the room with wide eyes. He had been to plenty special places because of his job but for some reason, none of them compared to this. Namjoon reached across to entwine his fingers with the beautiful man, grabbing his attention from the lights and distant chatter of his coworkers. No matter how many times Namjoon saw Jin he was still mesmerized by everything that the man was. He smirked showing his dimples and his pleasure from just being with Jin. Jin was about to speak when a young lady walked over to their table. 

 

"Hello, Mr. Kim! I'm so happy that you could make it tonight!" She clasped her hands across her s as if she was trying to put emphasis on them while completely ignoring the other man. 

 

"Ah yes! I'm happy to be here. I needed an opportunity to get out more." Namjoon responded with a small smile barely reaching his cheeks. He didn't care for small talk. He wanted the girl--he believed her name was Tara-- to leave. Tara smiled widely pulling down her shirt to show more of her cleavage. 

 

"Well if you ever need any more reasons to leave the house I am always available." Namjoon felt fingers tighten around his. He hadn't forgotten about Jin. He just didn't want to introduce him to someone he didn't feel was worthy of his lovers time. Namjoon cleared his throat.

 

"I appreciate the offer but my boyfriend Jin is all the incentive I need after today." This time Namjoon gave a genuine smile. 

 

"Oh? Is he here tonight? Why would he leave a handsome man like you alone at a place like this." Jin was getting fed up with the woman's pathetic excuse for flirting. 

 

"Yes, I am here and maybe you would have noticed if bothered to look this way." Jin smiled at Tara politely. She gasped while mumbling an apology. 

 

"Well, it was nice to meet you um...Jin was it? I'll be seeing you around Mr.Kim." She quickly scurried off to go God knows where. 

 

After she left Namjoon broke into laughter. His face was red and eyes teary. He couldn't believe that Jin was already getting jealous of him. that 

 

"What's so funny hm? Was it that girl? I see nothing funny about her, the disrespectful brat. Did her parents not raise her with manners. Could you not see that she was trying to come on to you?" Namjoon howled. Jin was a piece of work. It was even better that he was jealous one. 

 

"Jinnie, baby, I meant it when I said that you were the most beautiful man I've ever seen. That girl couldn't hold a candle to you with the lights off." Namjoon stood to reach across the table, planting a kiss on Jin's forehead, then his nose, and finally his lips. He hoped that the intimacy would calm the other down and reassure him that there was no one who could make him feel the way that Jin does.

 

The night went on smoothly afterward, they both chatted about their day and how excited they were for Jin to move in until it was time for them to leave and part ways. 

 

Meanwhile, from the corner of the room, they were being maliciously watched. 

 

"Boss, RM seems to have a new lover. Is there anything else you want me to find out?" 

 

"No Junhee, you're done for the night. We have the man right where we want him now." The man cackled evilly on the other line. 

 

Oh RM you have no idea what I have in store for you...

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

BONUS 

 

After Namjoon and Jin left, Jungkook picked up his action figure then ran to sit on the couch. His uncles were sitting in the armchairs across from him watching a show on the television. Hoseok paused what they were watching to pay attention to Jungkook but the younger boy only stared at his uncles in silence. Yoongi gulped. What was the younger boy thinking? He had gotten his fathers genius gene which increased the worry of the older man. Who knows what Jungkook learned from tonight?

 

" I know about the family business you know. My dad thinks I don't but I hear his phone calls with you sometimes." Hoseok facepalmed. Of course, he has. They weren't careful enough protecting the boy's innocence. Yoongi walked over to the couch pulling the boy into his lap, cradling him in his chest. 

 

"How much do you know Kookie?" Hoseok asked from across the room, the playful uncle the boy was accustom to was gone right now.

 

"I know about the guns and that we have a lot of bodyguards and that sometimes he uses codewords because he thinks that I don't know but I do. I know that he’s protecting me from all the bad guys.” Yoongi sighs while rubbing his fingers through his nephew's hair. 

 

"Jungkook, it's too early for you understand everything but you have to promise to keep all of it a secret. You're a very smart boy and I know you can. When you get older I promise that your dad will tell you everything, but for now, just focus on being a child and worry about our business later." Hoseok comes over to rub Jungkooks back then continues his lecture. 

 

"Whatever you do, don't let Namjoon know that you know what's going on. He's going to be so upset that his little boy isn't a little boy anymore. Do you understand?" He finishes with a gentle voice. Jungkook nods his head. 

 

"Now, who wants pizza?" Yoongi asks enthusiastically.  

 

Jungkook hops off his lap in excitement.

 

"I do! Can I stay up late tonight too?" Jungkook beams at his uncles.

 

"We can do whatever you want Kook. Anything for my favorite nephew!" Hoseok grabs his phone to dial the pizza place.

 

Poor kid, I just hope he doesn't grow up too fast...

 

 

 

AN:  Hey-oooo First I would like to apologize for taking so long, so my B yall. Secondly, I am back from the hole I was camping out in for God knows how long. I'm just glad that I got the motivation to write another chapter tbh I feel so bad for making you all wait so long but here it is.