Last Chosen Student

Star Empire Academy

 

Something was brewing inside of her. Something new and big. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but it could potentially change her life.

Usually she wasn't like this. Sure, there were plenty of thoughts running through her mind. What's for dinner? What am I going to do later in life? What happened... that night? But she had never felt anything like this before. It was a prodding right at the core of her heart telling her that things were going to be better. That now was the right time to let go of her past fears and guilts and depart for the next chapter of her life.

She was standing at the peak of the Geonsang Mountains near the orphanage she lived in. The snow, high altitude, and clear air helped to clear her thoughts and relieve some of the stress she carried on her shoulders. Sometimes she would spend her entire day just sitting and reminiscing on past memories. Some were happy, most were painful.

(Flashback)

Crash. Glass breaking. Horrid screams. Her mom emerged out of the room bloody and sobbing hysterically. At once, she took her only daughter into her arms and held her close. "I hope when you grow up, Nae Ya, you will love someone better than your father. Love someone who will cherish you to no end."

Only a mere six months old, the little baby girl stared up at her mother with big eyes and a smile on her face. From that point on, whenever the word 'father' was mentioned her little fingers curled in disgust.

-

The car ride was silent, but four-year-old Nae Ya wanted to go eat ice cream. "Mommy! Are we going to the ice cream man? I want mint chocolate chip!"

Her mother glanced at her in the rearview mirror, silent tears threatening to fall. "No sweetie, we're going to a safe place."

"Huh?" She titled her head in confusion, but dropped the subject and turned to the window to watch the raindrops slide across the glass.

They arrived at an ominous looking place situated in a dark grove of trees. A crude sign reading 'Hajeong Orphanage' hung across the front. Of course, as young as Nae Ya was at the time, she couldn't read it. 

The two of them reached the entrance and her mother turned to face her. "All right Nae Ya-ah. I have to go now and I can't come back. Just... please remember that I'm sorry. I am sorry and I always will be. I love you so much." With that, she knocked on the door and dashed out into the pouring rain. After a few seconds, she completely disappeared.

Silently placing her arms on Nae Ya's tiny shoulders, an old woman led Nae Ya inside the house. But Nae Ya was still in dismay. Ripping herself out of the lady's grasp, she bolted outside into the pouring rain. The freezing water was soaking her to the bone, but Nae Ya was set on finding her mother again.

She ran around frantically. "UMMA!" She screamed at the top of her lungs. Her hot tears were mixing with the cold rain. While running to the road, she tripped on a stone and fell to her knees, still sobbing. And she wouldn't stop sobbing even after the caretaker brought her inside and dressed her in warm clothes. The caretaker had to force-feed Nae Ya a sleeping pill and the distraught little girl finally fell silent.

(End Flashback)

Nae Ya forced herself to push those memories to the back of her mind. Out of her coat pocket, she fished out an envelope made out of yellowing paper. Right then, she made her decision. She braced herself and tore open the letter.

Dear Ms. Han Nae Ya,

Hello from Star Empire Academy. We have received your application for the new school year and have looked over it thoroughly. We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted as a student for the upcoming school year. We extend our sincere congratulations to you!

As you may know, there have been a massive amount of applicants for this year. There were many worthy applicants from the supernatural world, but your special qualties shined above the rest. Here at Star Empire Academy, being 'normal' isn't the best course of action, so to say.

We await your prescence on the first day of school. Please keep in mind, one's greatest enemy is his/herself. A person who conquers himself conquers the world. To set yourself apart from the crowd and surpass the others, you have to trust yourself first.

-Libera te tutemet-

Mr G.


a/n congrats to Fictionpeeps ! Le Latin phrase du jour means 'Free yourself'. So this is it, the eight girls that will venture on into SEA. I loved each and every one of your apps, it was really hard to narrow it down to 8. but strap yourselves in guys, because it's going to be a bumpy ride (;

- s e i z e t h e d a y .