Sixth Chosen Student

Star Empire Academy

The Jung household was still, as it was almost midnight and the whole family was getting ready to go to sleep. When all of a sudden, an ear-spiltting howl broke the quietness of the air.

"CRISTAL JUNG EUNHWA! WHAT IS THIS?"

Up in her room, a certain girl named Cristal smirked a little. Mission success. Sliding off of her princess-themed bed, she strode barefoot over to her older brother's room. She clutched her prized doll, which came off as creepy to every person that saw it, close to her side.

She went through her brother's door, plopped down on his beanbag, and gave him the innocent I'm-your-little-sister-and-I-didn't-do-anything eyes. They worked all the time. Well... most of the time. "Why'd you call me here, Yonghwa oppa? I was just about to fall asleep." She tilted her head in mock confusion. 

His eyes ablaze, he held up the incriminating evidence. A ten pound rat sniffed around and suddenly bit Yonghwa's finger. He dropped it with a yelp and the obese rat scurried away, out the door. Yonghwa turned to Cristal, hands on his hips. "Care to explain?"

Cristal gave him a sheepish smile and hugged her doll tighter to herself. "I just wanted to spice up the normal routine a little. It was getting so... boring, you know? And I figured that Mr. Snuffles would give you a little extra edge for your next gig at the club. I'm such a helpful sister, right?"

"I was perfectly happy in dreamland, dreaming that I'm having a date in a sweet potato farm with a very nice girl, and suddenly I feel nipping at my toes. Then I wake up, look under the covers, and almost have a heart attack." Yonghwa fell back on his bed. "You're lucky I love you so much, Cristal, or you would be dead meat right now."

Cristal flashed her pearly whites and widened her eyes to resemble her doll's. "I love you too, oppa dearest."

- - -

The next morning, they had breakfast in the dining room together just like nothing had happened the night before. That was one thing Cristal admired about her family. They knew how to forgive and forget, something Cristal couldn't grasp fully.

Cristal chattered happily while scarfing down her mother's omelette. Jaehwa, the youngest of the family, was sitting quietly and munching on his bacon. He turned to tell Cristal something and put his hand on her arm. 

Jaehwa was a special child. By just touching someone, he was able to tell that person's past or future. However, this power was sketchy and only worked sometimes. This time, though, he caught a hazy glimpse of Cristal's future.

"You will be reunited with a person who has inflicted you the most harm and the person you loved the most." His grip tightened on Cristal's arm. "You will learn things that you have never understood before and will face the biggest decision of your life."

Every head at the table turned to stare at Jaehwa. He was normally very softspoken and quiet, and they had rarely ever experienced one of his 'visions' before. Cristal, especially, was taken aback by the new information.

It was Yonghwa who broke the silence. "So mom... your bacon tastes especially good today." he said awkwardly. Soon, the atmosphere returned back to normal and Jaehwa turned quiet again. The front door slammed and their father walked into the dining room.

"Buongiorno, my children!" He ruffled the hair of the three Jung children while shuffling through the mail. He came across one yellow envelope and handed it to Cristal.

She took it while still eating her omelette and tore it open without looking at it. When she read it, her fork dropped from her hand and clattered onto the plate.

Dear Ms. Jung 'Cristal' Eunhwa,

Greetings from Star Empire Academy. We have recieved your application for the new school year and have thoroughly reviewed. We are pleased to announce that you have been accepted as a student for the upcoming school year. Congratulations to you and your family.

There have been a tremendous amount of applications submitted to us from the general supernatural public. Although there have been a massive number of applicants, your special spark sets you apart from the others. We believe you have what it takes to succeed at SEA.

We await your presence on the first day of school. Please keep in mind, withpast mistakes, past memories, and past relations, there is a reason the word 'past' is attached to all of those words. Don't let your light die down without a fight. Because in this world, sometimes a spark is all you need to ascend to the sky.

-Lux mentis lux orbis-

Mr G.


a/n Congratulations to MOONHyunra ! Sorry about being kind of MIA these past few weeks. I've been working on a creative story for my English class, so I was all story-ed out the past weekends. But mostly it was just me and my laziness. Mianhae :'( but to make it up to you guys for being so patient, I'll post the last two chosen members this week, I swear on the Holy Grail of Kpop. And you know is serious when that happens (; The Latin phrase means 'Light of the mind, light of the world'. Ciao-

seizetheday .