Seventh Chosen Student

Star Empire Academy

( ___ POV)

Home, sweet home. That phrase is plastered onto every ceramic pot, household decoration, or cheesy doormat found in every stereotypical home. That goes for me, too. However my true home, where my heart lies, isn't in my real apartment where my two unnies live. I have found my special safe haven at Star Empire Academy, where my older brother goes to school.

I guess it all started when my parents were killed. No, don't give me those sympathetic eyes that feign concern, because you really couldn't care less. I've come to accept their death now - I guess it's just part of life. These past years my life has taught me to bite the bullet and move on. What can I say? I'm Miss Independent and I don't need anyone's shoulder to cry on.

My apartment doesn't really have a home-y feel to it anymore. I go to school and my sisters are home, and I get to see them one hour after school before they have to head out for their night shift at the club. Left alone to a drafty, silent house, I have to eat my dinner alone and hope my brother calls.

So whenever I get the ok to visit my brother for a week, usually during breaks, I feel ridiculously happy. Now that I think of it, it is a bit strange. I am perhaps the only person who gets to visit SEA this much. I swear, I already know the student body like I go to school there.

(Flashback)

"Taehun oppa! This place is scary..." The little girl clung to her sixteen-year-old oppa's leg, her eyes wide with anticipation. Her fox tail was tucked in between her legs as the two walked along the stone hallways of SEA.

The teenager looked fondly down at his younger sister. "I know, this castle has an eerie feeling to it. You'll become used to it in no time, so don't worry about it." He reached down and patted her braided hair. Her fox ears were protruding out of her head.

They reached their destination, the alchemy classroom. Taehun turned around and crouched down to match her height. "I have to go to class now. You sit your bottom down there and don't move until I come out, okay? Oh, and if ZE:A comes and recognizes you, you come inside and tell me. Those hoodlums are too dangerous."

"Alright, oppa. I'm not a baby anymore." She played with her tail in her hands.

"But you'll always be oppa's little girl. Behave." He smiled down at her and entered the classroom.

Being the jumpy child she was, not five minutes had passed before she started to be fidgety and restless. To bide the time, she started to pace the hallways and stare out the window into the dark forests surrounding the campus.

She was so engrossed in watching the sun set that she didn't notice someone walk by her, do a double take, stop, and back up towards her. She felt a little tap on her shoulder and she whipped around.

A boy with a baby face but a built body stared back into her eyes. His eyes were alight with curiousity. Before any words were exchanged, his hands shot out to touch her fox ears. He giggled, leaned in close, and whispered, "Are those real?"

"Yah! ert!" She hissed immediately, her tail rising dangerously as if she would pounce on him at any moment. The boy withdrew his hand from her ears and instead clamped his hand over . The young girl, embarassed by the close proximity, bit him hard by reflex. Yelping loudly, he jumped back at least five feet.

Her teeth bared, fuming, she got ready to devour him. She took the first step, but was held back by strong arms. Her brother stared angrily at the both of them.

"Kim Dongjun! How dare you provoke my sister?" Taehun regarded him with steam literally coming out of his ears.

"Yeah, he was fox-handling me!" She chimed in. Taehun wheeled around and pointed his finger at her.

"Yah, it was your fault also. Didn't I tell you not to get up from that bench and talk to ZE:A?"

She hung her head down, as she didn't have a response to that. Taehun threw his arms up in exasperation. "I'm banning you from having communication with ZE:A ever again, Kim Kira. Let's go."

He led her down the hall, leaving a very confused Dongjun scratching his head in the middle of the hallway.

(End Flashback)

Alright, so I didn't have a tea party of a time at Star Empire. Those are still memories that I treasure and keep in that special box inside my heart. Then I lock the box, hide the key, and hope that one special guy will find it and unlock my heart.

...Right. Like I believe in that stuff. My unnies might be hopeless romantics, but I'm definitely not.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by my phone ringing. Pulling it out wearily, I thought it was another cyber salesperson. That is, until I saw the caller ID.

"Oppa? It's so late, why are you calling? How did you get access to a phone anyway, it's not the weekend. Have you been surviving? How's everyone back at Star Empire? Has the creepy gravekeeper come and murdered anybody yet? Has -"

"Calm down, Kira. I got special permission to call you from the admissions office. I want to say two things, firstly congratulations for getting in. Secondly, when did you get permission from me to apply here? I told you that it's a dangerous, albeit prestegious, place. And don't even get me started about you bumping into ZE:A during school..."

"I want to come here. Do you know how lonely I get here in Busan? Let's face it, Star Empire is like my home already. Plus, I'm sure seeing your awesome little sister every day won't be too bad, right Taehun oppa?"

He considered it for a long moment. "Fine. Because you're my strong, stubborn dongsaeng Kira. All hail the almighty Kira!"

"You know it. I'm going to get the letter now. See you later oppa!"

Tossing my phone to the side, I dashed outside to the mailbox. Under the full moon of the night I tore open the letter and read it.

Dear Ms. Kim Kira,

We extend our greetings from Star Empire Academy. As for your application, we have received it and have looked over it thoroughly. We are pleased to say that you have been accepted as a new student for the upcoming school year. Congratulations to you and your family!

As you may have already known, many supernatural beings have submitted applications at our call. Out of the large number of applicants, your uniqueness has stood out. Here at Star Empire, we value that character trait.

We await your presence on the first day of school next school year. Please keep in mind, standing out from the crowd is good, but everyone has their flaws. There is only so much one can take before he/she explodes. Another thing we value at Star Empire: self-control.

-Compos Mentis-

Mr G.


a/n congratulations to shadowkitsune13 ! I really enjoyed your app, btw. One more student left before the real stuff goes down... *evil smirk* As usual, the Latin phrase means 'of sound mind'. Till next time guys,

seizetheday .