Fourth Chosen Student

Star Empire Academy

"Are you not going to listen? Detention for a week!"

"How dare you talk back to your teacher! Are you aware that this is Korea, not America? We have rules here. Leave the classroom, now."

"Children these days. Tsk tsk, they don't heed to authority."

She sighed as she was sent home for the second time that week. And it was only a Tuesday. Once in class, it felt as if the classroom walls were closing in on her, ready to take her prisoner. She was strapped to the floor, a blade swinging back and forth on the ceiling. At every swing, the blade got closer and closer to , leaving her to go crazy in anticipation. Maybe it was a figment of her imagination, but every day she felt like this. As each second ticked by, she imagined the hordes of chattering students fade away into the air, leaving only a bare dungeon to greet her.

That was what sparked her so called 'rebellious spirit'. School was suffocating. Life was suffocating. And there was no one in sight to help her relieve her stress as she was stuck in the stuffy classroom from eight to five every single day.

She passed by a homeless person, trying to build a fire to give himself a bit of warmth in the dead of winter. Once he got a small flame, a bitter icy wind immediately stamped it out. The girl smiled a bit in sympathy. As she passed by the man, she secretly willed the little flame to grow bigger. It worked, of course, and a huge smile brightened the man's face.

*My powers can be used for good,* she thought. Although they could, her powers was often taken the wrong way. Correction: They were always taken the wrong way. People called her a freak. A violent kid. A trouble-maker. Some were more willing to accept her, but she was always, always known as the unfortunate girl with the fire in her eyes.

- - -

"Auntie! I'm home!" Jade called as she kicked her shoes off in the doorway. She plopped her backpack on the floor, glaring at it as if it represented her hard times at school.

Her aunt appeared and poked her head out of the kitchen door, looking frazzled but bright as usual. "Oh? Why are you home this early?"

Jade hung her head. "I might've got sent home again..." She murmured quietly. But her aunt had sharp ears, and she heard it just fine.

"Yah! Again? Aish, you troublesome little kid!" She stomped over to Jade and hit her playfully with the dish towel. "I'm not giving you dinner tonight!"

"How could you, Auntie?" Jade shuffled over to the kitchen. Sitting on the stove was her aunt's famous kimchi stew, her favorite.

Her aunt thought about it for a second, and changed her mind. "Fine, come here and eat. Since I love you so much."

Jade smiled and hugged her. "Komawo, auntie."

The table was quickly set up and Jade began to scarf down her stew. As she was eating, her auntie sat down across from her. "Oh, Jade-ah, I came home from the supermarket today and there was a letter sitting on the doorstep for you."

Jade raised an eyebrow. "Really?" Her aunt nodded and fished an envelope out of her many coat pockets.

Dear Ms. Jin Jade,

Thank you for sending us your application for Star Empire Academy. We have received it and have reviewed it thoroughly, and we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted as a new student for the upcoming school year. Congratulations to you and your family both!

As you may know, many applications were sent to us as we opened our application process to the general supernatural public. Although there was much competition, you have shone through the others. We hope we can help your inner potential burn brightly and show the world.

We await your presence on the first day of school. Please keep in mind, you can't fight fire with fire. However, even water is combustible, just in a different way. Overcoming adversity is only a matter of your choices. And you must choose wisely, because irrational matters are not tolerated at SEA.

-Ignus Internum-

Mr G.


a/n congratulations to BlueVelvetCupcake ! We're halfway through the chosen students (; and did anyone get the 'Pit and Pendulum' by Poe reference? haha I'm such a nerd. Omg so my computer died on me when I was writing this >.< so the whole chapter got deleted when I was typing :'( but I was civilized and I didn't go on a cussing spree like Bang Yong Guk, even though I was really tempted to. Oh, and the Latin phrase means 'The fire within'. Ciao guys<3

-seizetheday