chapter 5 The pieces

Vendetta

Sunlight broke through the window. It shone its rays on a sleeping form. The brightness and its warmth touched the figure that was slumped on the bed. Realizing that it was morning and for the moment relishing in the warmth kjk still stayed on his bed, lazing for a while. He abruptly jolted from his bed. Realization dawning on him and worry encompassing his mind. The abruptness wasn’t a good idea as he could feel his muscles in pain. What was he still doing in his bed? He needs to get to Haha's place Asap. 

Getting a hold of himself, kjk couldn’t understand how he had drifted in sleep and so deeply that he woke up past 9 am. Last night he had overworked and tired his muscles and also his mind. He was looking for problems and loopholes in his happy life. While doing so he got whiff of the real situation that his happy life is no more jolly as Haha got attacked at his restaurant. He got ready in a jiffy and hurriedly had some breakfast. In his hurried state his breakfast included some protein shake which he didn’t drank last night and a few biscuits. He rushed to his car, gave a missed call to kap jin, and left a message saying he was going to haha's place in Mapo gu. 

It was early morning for kjk, though the world had woken up a couple of hours ago. He steered through the traffic, took the expressway and tried avoiding any traffic jams. Luckily, he was late to the traffic hours as most office going people had already gone to their workplaces. 

Kjk reached Haha's apartment. He pressed the elevator button and waited for the lift to come. But for some reason he felt it was taking too long. Couldn’t wait any longer, kjk ran through the flight of stairs up till the 6th floor where haha lived. He could feel his muscles protest. His legs throb with pain. But he wanted to see haha and check on him. The suspense was killing him and the thought that somebody touched haha and hurt him was making him angry. He reached haha's flat. The nicely bathed body, combed hair, shaved face was now covered with sweat and worry. 

Standing in front of the door kjk rang the doorbell and lightly taped at the door too. After a few secs he heard the door locks swinging and clanking and finally it opened. There stood in front of him, opening the door himself – Haha. Kjk quickly hugged haha but the embrace was too tight for haha's liking as he let out a sigh of pain. Hearing haha's voice kjk let him go. “Aren’t you going to invite me in?” “Ah, yes of course come in. Byul has gone to drop off the kids at her mom’s place. She will be out for a while.” 

“I see. So who did this?” kjk's question was small but the voice was filled with anger. Haha meekly replied he didn’t know. But thanks to Guenshik he was not seriously injured.

Both the guys sat on the sofa and kjk interrogated haha and told him to say every detail of the night. Anyone who acted wierdly or was disturbing him before the attack or any rude comments by visitors anything that hinted that the person hated or despised haha. Setting his brain gears in motion haha glossed over the past few days. There was nothing out of the ordinary, but last night he did gave a call to kwang soo and he seemed off. 
“I called kwang soo over for dinner last night but he didn’t wanna join. He said he was injured at the set and was not feeling well. Also he said that he felt he was being  watched by someone but laughed at his own words saying, ‘of course I am watched by hundreds of eyes at this set'. He was scared.” Haha told kjk all that he knew about kwang soo and also about the gang that attacked him, their gang attire. Kjk was confused listening about the details. Why on earth was somebody targetting his innocent dongsaengs.

The pieces lay in front of him. Haha was attacked at the restaurant and could have been seriously injured if it wasn’t for Guenshik. Kwang soo who is always cheerful when called over for dinner rejected the offer and revealed he was also pushed by someone causing a superficial injury on his jaw. And then that mystery caller who said he was well wisher of his family and friends. Who was that person and what did he mean by ‘You are the cause.’

After spending some more time with haha and making sure that he wasn’t as badly hurt as he imagined kjk decided to leave. He didn’t say haha anything about the mystery call. Nor that he had been paranoid the past few weeks. He didn’t want his younger bro to take anymore stress. “rest well” kjk wished and left.

That man was feeling a bit satisfied, as he watched kjk rushing to his bro haha's place, with worry written all over his face. “This is what I want you to feel”. He said with hate dripping from his words. “It is almost time to strike hard and rip your life into shreds. I will show you how dangerous your existence is for your family and friends. You ruined my life. Now I’ll destroy yours.”