chapter 4 At the gym

Vendetta


In the silent night, when no one was around and have been long succumbed to tiredness and slept, there lay awake one man who was filled with thoughts he can’t comprehend. He lied awkwardly on the bench where he was just now lifting some weights. Well along with the weights that were working on his muscles, there seemed to be some thoughts weighing in his mind too. It was making him lose concentration. Tired of the nagging thoughts kjk stopped for a while. Unbeknownst to him, when he was too engrossed in his workout session, the gym that was filled with a few souls was now occupied by just him. He sat up on the bench and looked around, glancing at the clock on the wall, he realized he had been working out for way longer than he usually does. 

The thoughts of worry crowding his brain made him even more exhausted and the extreme workout he just had was an overkill too. He sat with his head bowed down. The sweat dripped down from his brows to the floor. He was too sweaty, it was past 1 am and it would be better if he took a shower to erase the stiffness and the tension both from his body and his mind. So he headed to the showers. 
Moving towards the lockers to grab his clothes, kjk took a look at his mobile and was shocked to see a couple of missed calls from guenshik. Guenshik was a close buddy of Haha and now a business partner of kjk too, but a call at midnight by him was something that never happened. The call was before 12:30 when kjk was engrossed in exercise. Kjk wondered ‘why would Guenshik call him? Should he call him back? But isn’t it too late now? He has a family and calling so late would seem disrespectful.’ Kjk thought to himself and for now headed to the shower.

He turned the water on. The hot water drizzled over his body washing over his stiffness and relaxing him. He took some time in the shower to think some more. The water falling on his body was now trying to clear his thoughts too. However the call by Guenshik was making him worry. ‘Was something wrong? Did something bad happen? Why didn’t he call again? Why was he calling so late?’ Such thoughts kept bothering him. Turning the water off and drying himself up kjk walked out with the towel wrapped around his waist. He sat on a dry bench outside the shower and started to wear his clothes. ‘Maybe I am getting paranoid' wondered kjk. 'Too much happiness was never a good sign. I should give Guenshik a call as soon as its morning.’

Grabbing his belongings from the locker kjk decided to head home. Well, where else would he go besides home and gym and at such a late hour. He walked to the parking lot towards his car. In the dim lights of the lot it was hard to spot anything but kjk remembered where he had parked his car. But something felt off. He could sense someone watching him. As he walked towards his car he saw a person’s shadow. “who is it?” kjk called out loud. But there wad no response. “I asked who is it? Come out.” Kjk asked once more and now started to approach the person. But before he could go any further away from his car his mobile rang.
🎶🎶🎶🎶
“Hello, who is this” asked kjk.
“Hello Mr. Kim Jong Kook. How was your workout. You seem a bit tired don't wear out yourself. After all, who will look after your friends and family if you are not well yourself”
“Who are you? What are u talking about?” a confused kjk asked.
“well I am someone who is a well wisher of your family and friends and have called you to inform you of something. Did kwang soo shi or Haha shi call u?”
“no. Why?”
“well haha was attacked in his 401 restaurant tonight and he was rushed to the hospital.”
“what! Who attacked him? Why? How do you know this?”
The person spoke in a low voice “Your loved ones are in danger and You are the cause of it.”
“What do you mean?..” before kjk could get useful answers the man hung up.

Confused and worried kjk wondered who was that person. What was the reason he told him those things. Was haha really hurt? Was Guenshik calling earlier to inform about Haha's condition. Is he seriously hurt. Or was this just a terrible attempt at a prank?

Kjk sat in his car, turned the ignition on and dailed Haha's no. Haha wasn’t picking up his phone, maybe he is asleep. Or maybe he is hurt. Wondered kjk with him thinking of worse situations. After a few more calls haha finally picked up his phone.
“Hello hyung.” Answered haha. His voice sounded weak.
“haha how are you. Are u hurt? Who hurt you? Where are you?”
“Hyung calm down. I’ll tell u everything. I am at my home in Mapo go. We will meet tomorrow.” “No. I want to see u now. I ll come to your place right now.” “ no hyung. There is no need for that. Please rest, we will talk tomorrow.”
“I told you I want to see u now. I am well enough to drive all the way to your place. Lets meet and talk when I arrive.” “Please hyung. If you are well, atleast let me rest. I am bruised and swollen and want to sleep. I am really tired after all the kicks. Can't you let your dongsaeng have a good night’s sleep.”
Realizing what haha was saying was reasonable and right kjk slowed down his vehicle and agreed to haha.
“Okay I’ll meet u first thing in the morning. Sleep well and rest well. Don’t make ur kids and wife worry about u more. Ok.” “ok.”

Both the guys hung up. Kjk turned around his car and drove to his house. It was late, the nagging thoughts now included haha's condition, its cause and the mysterious well wishers' call. Kjk was exhausted by the struggling thoughts in his head. He wanted to just lay down and sleep peacefully.

But could he really have peace or was this just the beginning of an ugly war that was going to ruin a lot of lives.