Chapter 7

An Affair To Remember (ChanBaek version, some KaiSoo)

  

Neither Baekhyun nor Chanyeol could risk being caught in a compromising situation during the remainder of the voyage, so they gave each other a final kiss before Chanyeol went with his to sign some autographs and pose for photos. Baekhyun cleaned up the makeup station, made sure Chanyeol's clothes were on hangers ready for the dry cleaner, and locked the door behind him. Catching a glimpse of Chanyeol mingling with his fans made him smile. Chanyeol looked up and winked at him. Baekhyun blushed and headed back to his suite.

 
Half way to his room Baekhyun heard someone running behind him but before he could turn around he was pounced on by an over exuberant Kai. "Yah! You scared the life out of me!"  Baekhyun squawked.
 
"How did you like the show? Wasn't it amazing?! I had soooo much fun! " Kai blurted out not stopping long enough between questions for Baekhyun to answer.
 
Baekhyun laughed. "It was amazing, you were amazing! Your'e a great dancer." he said, making Kai's smile even bigger.
 
"Hey! Some of the dancers and I are going ashore tomorrow, I want you to come, will you?" Kai asked. "Pleeeeease! It'll be fun, I promise!"
 
Baekhyun shook his head, Kai was truly a bright spot in his life and he felt fortunate to have him as a new friend. "I'd love to Kai, but I'm going to visit my grandmother, she lives alone and it's been forever since I've gotten a chance to see her."
 
"That's okay." Kai said, "I understand. Hey! Maybe when we get back to the ship I can teach you that dance!? If I don't have to work....."
 
"That sounds...uhm.....interesting?" Baekhyun laughed.
 
"It'll be fun! I promise! Besides, Chanyeol will lose his when he sees how well you can move your hips!" And just like that Kai was skipping off down the hall.
 
"Yah! You watch your mouth young man!" Baekhyun called after the boy. "And be careful tomorrow!"
 
Without turning around, Kai raised his hand to signal that he had heard him, and disappeared around the corner. Baekhyun shook his head and went on to his room.
 
After taking a shower, Baekhyun put on the white fluffy robe that came with the suite, grabbed a glass of wine, and settled into the bed to watch some television. He found some romance movies, his guilty pleasure, and was crying in no time. He wished Chanyeol were there with him. Something about being near the other made him feel....whole.
 
A knock on the door snapped him out of his thoughts. Making sure the robe was securely tied around his waist, he opened the door half expecting Chanyeol to be there. Instead, it was another cabin boy, holding a bouquet of roses. Baekhyun sighed at the flowers, signed for them and carried them inside. He took a deep breath before reading the card.
 
"So sorry I couldn't be there, something important came up at the last minute. ~Kris"
 
Baekhyun crumpled up the note, threw it towards the kitchen, snatched up the flowers jerked open the door and threw the bouquet of roses right into Chanyeol's face. Baekhyun's hands flew up to cover his open mouth, his eyes wide open in disbelief.
 
"Uhhhh, thanks?" Chanyeol said, wondering what the heck just happened.
 
"Oh my God! Chanyeol! I am sooooo sorry!" Baekhyun said brushing loose petals off of Chanyeol's hair, shoulders, and chest.
 
"Remind me never to buy you flowers." Chanyeol said, making Baekhyun laugh.
 
After the laughter died down, they were both left staring at each other awkwardly.
 
"I gather that those are from the fiance?" Chanyeol asked.
 
Baekhyun 'hurumphed'. "If by 'fiance', you mean lying,cheating scumbag; then yes, they are from him. The bastard can't even remember that I hate roses."
 
Chanyeol nodded. "I uh, just stopped by because...." he began to say smiling sheepishly.
 
"Actually, I had a question to ask you." Baekhyun said not giving Chanyeol a chance to finish talking. Chanyeol perked up, looking like an excited puppy. "I was wondering if you would accompany me to visit my grandmother when dock."
 
Chanyeol's smile faded. "Baek, you know we can't be seen together."
 
"Really? And I was going to have us wear couple shirts and everything." Baekhyun said sarcastically. "Really? Really Chanyeol?"
 
A light blush spread across Chanyeol's cheeks. "Well then, what were you suggesting?"
 
"I was going to go meet with my grandmother, and perhaps while you are out exploring the island, you could find your way to her house, purely by chance of course. And don't worry, she lives alone, in an isolated area."
 
"Baek! That's fantastic! You're a genius! I'd love to meet your grandmother!" Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a hug and a peck on the cheek.
 
Click.
 
"I'll see you tomorrow." Chanyeol said.
 
"I look forward to it." Baekhyun said. "And Yeol?"
 
Chanyeol turned around, his hand on his key card.
 
"I liked your show." Baekhyun said blushing.
 
Chanyeol smiled so big it threatened to split his face in half. "Thanks. It's always nice to hear from the fans." He winked at Baekhyun before closing the door.
 
Baekhyun stood smiling at Chanyeol's door for a few seconds before closing his own door and going to bed.
 
The next morning Baekhyun was one of the first passengers off of the ship. It had been ages since he'd seen his grandmother, and it was a bit of a trek to get there. Baekhyun wanted to be sure and stop at some of her favorite shops to bring her some goodies, and perhaps some extra snacks should they have any 'unexpected' visitors.
 
"Baekhyun-hyung!" he heard as he was getting into a taxi. Looking up he saw Kai with some of the dancers. "Have fun today!!" the younger called out to him.
 
"Don't get into too much trouble!"  Baekhyun yelled back.
 
Kai cupped his hand to his ear giving the signal that he didn't hear what the older had just said.  Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he watched the group blend into the crowd on their way to do who knows what. 'Ah to be that carefree, Baekhyun thought.'
~~~~~
 
"Where to?" the cab driver asked.
 
"I'd like to stop at that little bakery on the outskirts of town, and then head up to the mountains." Baekhyun replied.
 
"That'll be extra." the driver cautioned.
 
"I know. It's no problem." Beakhyun said taking a seat beside the driver. Soon Baekhyun was being whisked away from the port.
~~~~~
 
Chanyeol didn't leave the ship until a few hours later when most of the passengers had already gone ashore. Not wanting to be recognized, he wore baggy clothing, a face mask, hat, and sunglasses. Climbing into the nearest taxi, he gave the driver the instructions that Baekhyun had written down for him. Soon he'd be able to hold Baekhyun in his arms again, and everything would be right in the world.
~~~~~
 
Meanwhile Baekhyun was having tea with his grandmother out on the balcony. It had always been his favorite place, ever since he was little. He didn't need to tell his grandmother that things were a mess right now....she knew. She had always been able to sense when he was having a tough time, and she always managed to make him feel better.
 
When he was little and the other kids picked on him, comfort would come in the form of a cookie and a hug. When he was a teenager dealing with his uality, comfort would come in the form of shopping trips, ice cream dates, and trips to the hair salon where he had discovered the joys of hair dye. When he was a young adult dealing with heartbreak for the first time, comfort came in the form of a shoulder to cry on, and ear to listen, and a movie night in the living room that turned into a late night talk session, the movie playing just as background noise.
 
Even after all these years, Baekyun's grandmother took him into her arms asking "What's wrong baby?"
 
And even after he had long since considered himself a grown man, he fell into her arms sobbing uncontrollably.
 
"There, there," she said. "Shhhhh, hush baby, it'll be okay." she murmured as she patted him on the back. "Do you want to talk about it?"
 
Raising his head nodded, then wiped his nose on the handkerchief she gave him. He the monogram on the corner. Grandmother never believed in buying Kleenex. 'A real man always has a handkerchief to offer the ladies.' she had always said. Well, until he came out to her, then she said that 'a real man always has a handkerchief ready for his love.' It was things like that, that meant the world to him. For the biggest part of his life, she was his rock. She supported him no matter what.
 
Baekhyun began to tell her about Kris. He didn't go into too much detail, just enough to get the point across. To her credit, she didn't say "I told you so." because, she had, in fact, told him that she didn't have a good feeling about him when he first brought Kris to her home years ago. Instead, she listened attentively, nodding when appropriate, patting his arm when appropriate, and scooting the chocolates closer to him at the worst part of the story.
 
Having told her everything relevant, he told her that he was going to leave Kris.
 
"And....?" she nudged.
 
"And what?" he asked with a stupid grin on his face.
 
"Listen young man, I've known you since before you were born, and I know there is more to this story."
 
He looked at her. "How do you..." he started to ask.
 
"Because despite your tears, you have a big smile on your face right now, and you can't sit still, so spill it." she said. "Or no lunch for you."
 
Baekhyun laughed. His grandmother wouldn't ever starve anybody, man nor beast. "Okay. I've met someone." he said biting his lower lip in an attempt to keep from smiling.
 
"And...." his grandmother prompted. "I'm an old woman Byun Baekhyun, you have to speak quickly."
 
Baekhyun laughed and rolled his eyes. "Arraso, arraso.....I have literally met the man of my dreams, and he likes me!" he said excitedly.
 
"Of course he does!" she said. "Who wouldn't like my baby!"
 
"Grandma....." he said embarrassed.
 
"Soooo, tell me more about this wonderful man of yours, when can I meet him?" she asked.
 
"Actually, he should be on his way here." Baekhyun said, blushing.
 
"Oh? This must be serious, you are bringing him here so soon. Is he a good man Baekhyun?"
 
"He is." Baekhyun said. "But a lot of people don't think so."
 
"And why is that?" she asked sounding a bit more worried now.
 
"It's nothing bad, I promise." Baekhyun said. "It's just that he's.....he is a...."
 
"He's not a member of the mafioso is he?" she asked anxiously.
 
"Grandma! No! Nothing like that! He's a singer. A famous singer." Baekhyun said. "And because of that, there are a lot of rumors about him."
 
"So, tell me about this singer and what makes him worthy of my Baekhyun." she insisted.
 
Baekhyun smiled and began to tell her about Chanyeol. When he had finished, she sent him on a quick errand.
 
"Oh dear child, I hope and pray that you are right about this man." She said to herself. She wanted to see Baekhyun happy before it was time for her to join her husband.
~~~~~
 
Meanwhile Chanyeol was on the last leg of his journey to her house. When he finally arrived, he paid the cab fare, took the roses he'd purchased, and looked around. It was so beautiful and serene, it would be a nice place to get away for a while and compose his music. He envisioned coming here for vacations with Baekhyun, walking hand in hand in the small village down the mountain, walking through the woods, sitting by the small river that ran alongside of the house.
 
"Are you just going to stand there all day or are you going to come in?" came an almost familiar voice.
 
Chanyeol turned to see an older woman standing on the porch looking at him. "Naneun gongsigje-og mian haeyo." he said giving a 90 degree bow. "I was admiring the view." he continued.
 
The woman continued to stare at him not saying anything.
 
"Is Baek, I mean, Byun Baekhyun here?" he asked.
 
"He is." she said. "What are your intentions?" she questioned.
 
Taken aback by her forthrightness, he hesitated a moment, gathering his thoughts. This was clearly Baekhyun's grandmother. He had heard that very tone in Baekhyun's voice.
 
"Speak up boy, I'm getting older." she said.
 
He bowed again. "I plan on making Baekhyun happy." he said.
 
She made a 'Humph' sound. "And how do you plan to do that? Aren't you engaged?"
 
He went pale. How was it possible that she knew that? "It's not as it seems. It's a long story but I'd be happy to tell you." Chanyeol said.
 
She continuted to stare at him making him more uncomfortable.
 
Chanyeol cleared his throat. "The short version, is that I love your grandson very much, and I will do anything to make him happy."
 
"Would you give up your career?" she asked.
 
"Instantly." he answered without hesitation.
 
She looked him up and down one more time. "You're very tall." she said matter-of-factly. 
 
Chanyeol stood there not knowing what to say, finally deciding upon a simple "Yes."
 
Turning to go back inside she called over her shoulder; "You may come in." And then she added; "Watch the doorframe."
 
 
'Sheesh! And I thought Baekhyun was tough!' Chanyeol hurried to catch up to her making sure to duck slightly as he entered the house.
 
"Who are the flowers for?" she asked when he got close enough to speak to.
 
"Actually, I got them for you." Chanyeol said as he bowed and offered them to her.
 
"Good answer, Baekkie hates roses." she said.
 
'Baekkie?' he thought, 'How adorable!'
 
"This way." she said as she walked to the kitchen.
 
 
"The vase is on the top shelf, I can't reach it." she said. "Although, I'm sure you can."
 
Reaching up, he grabbed the vase and watched as she filled it with water and arranged the flowers. "Is Baekhyun here?" he asked.
 
"Does it look like he's here?" she asked, not taking her eyes off of the flowers as she continued to arrange them.
 
Chaneyol smiled. Baekhyun was just like her.
 
"He was right." she said. "You have a nice smile."
 
"Kamsahamnida" he said bowing again.
 
"Baekhyun ran an errand for me, he should be back soon. Why don't you get us some drinks and bring them out to the deck." she instructed gesturing beyond the living room. Looking around, Chanyeol found some tea bags and the kettle. While waiting for the water to boil, he took the liberty to slice some fruit. Once the tea was ready he joined her.
 
Both of them were leaning on the railing looking out over the woods. She asked him the usual questions about family, career, future plans. She also asked him if he knew about Baekhyun's past relationship with Kris, and confided that she was afraid for him. Chanyeol did his best to reassure her that he would do everything in his power to keep anything from happening to Baekhyun.
 
Baelkhyun's grandmother told him stories about when he was younger, and talked about his love for painting. Apparently, he'd given up on painting once Kris took control of him. Baekhyun lost himself trying to conform to what was expected of him. She told Chanyeol that Baekhyun had that spark back in his eyes, and she expected that it had something to do with him.
 
As they talked, the mountain breeze began to get colder. Chanyeol stepped inside to grab a scarf that he had seen hanging near the door. It was a simple black scarf with two red hearts embroidered near the ends, not too big, but just big enough so that if you knew they were there, you could see them. "Here." he said wrapping the scarf around her shoulders. "That's a beautiful scarf." he said.
 
"This old thing?" she asked. He nodded. "My husband got this for me when we were first married. He said that if there was ever a time when he couldn't be by my side, I should wrap this around me and think of it as a hug."
 
Chanyeol smiled.
 
"Silly isn't it?" she questioned.
 
"Not at all." Chanyeol said quietly. "Not at all." The two sipped their tea in silence staring out at the trees, each lost in their own thoughts. Neither one of them noticed that Baekhyun had returned and was watching them from the living room smiling. Quietly he took out his cell phone and took a picture of the two.
 
"Don't do it grandma! Don't push him over the railing, I love him!" Baekhyun cried out, startling the two.
 
"Oh honey, I wouldn't kill him that way." his grandmother replied, "I'd poison his tea."
 
Chanyeol's eyes popped wide open and he spit out the mouthful of tea so that he didn't choke on it.
 
"I think he believed you." Baekhyun said laughing with his grandmother.
 
"Is this any way to treat a celebrity?" Chanyeol teased.
 
"Sorry Yeol, I'm the only celebrity in this house, right grandma?" Baekhyun boasted.
 
"Naturally." the woman agreed as she ruffled his hair. "How about some food before you two have to go back to the ship?" his grandmother asked. "You two enjoy the view, I'll start cooking."
 
"I can help cook." Baekhyun said starting to follow her.
 
"Baekkie, I've been cooking since before your were born, I do not need any help. Why don't you show your boyfriend some of your paintings?"
 
"You still have those?" Baelhyun asked, shocked that she would have saved them. "Okay, let's go...what are you grinning about?" Baekhyun asked Chanyeol.
 
"She said boyfriend." Chanyeol said, his grin from ear-to-ear.
 
"I swear if you had a tail it would be wagging." Baekhyun said.
 
Baekhyun grabbed his "boyfriend's" hand and led him upstairs to the attic. Once inside Baekhyun began to search through the various boxes. For an attic, it was pretty well organized, boxes of holiday decorations, boxes of old clothing, boxes of old toys. "Ah ha!" he exclaimed. Chanyeol came closer and saw a stack of canvases leaning against the wall in the corner.
 
Baekhyun reached for them, but Chanyeol gently pushed him aside, lifting the stack by himself and moving it to the center of the floor. Baekhyun sat down and motioned for Chanyeol to do the same. Baekhyun picked up the first canvas and looked at it fondly before showing it to Chanyeol. Beakhyun explained what he was feeling when he was painting that particular piece, and what was going on in his life during that time period. He proceeded to do this with each and every one of his paintings until they had gone through the entire stack.
 
Chanyeol felt as if Baekhyun had just given him the biggest gift ever. He had allowed him to go inside his head and learn more about what made him, him. "These are wonderful Baek, you could easily sell these."
 
Baekhyun blushed. "My art teacher said the same thing. I just don't know....I wanted to open a gallery and paint, but...." Baekhyun got quiet.
 
"Let me guess, Kris didn't think it was 'proper' for his fiance to be an artist?" Chanyeol asked, knowing the answer.
 
Baekhyun nodded.
 
"How can he look at these and not see that you should be painting?" Chanyeol asked.
 
Baekhyun hung his head. "He never saw them." 
 
"What? Why not?" Chanyeol asked.
 
"It's not his fault. I didn't feel comfortable showing him my art." Baekhyun said, defending Kris.
 
"I don't understand." Chanyeol said. "You are clearly an excellent painter, why didn't you just show him?"
 
Baekhyun flipped through the paintings, picking one out of the stack. "Tell me about this one."  he ordered.
 
Canyeol looked at the painting. "You painted that one when your dad left. You used a black background to represent hatred and the white streaks in the middle represented you clawing your way out of the darkness."
 
Baekhyun flipped through the stack and pulled out another painting. "What about this one?" he asked.
 
Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, then down at the painting. "This one was when you were 16 and you had your first crush. On a guy." he said.
 
"And?" Baekhyun asked.
 
"And, you used bright colors because you were "so in love that the world was all lollipops and rainbows." he said pretending to stick his finger down his throat and vomit, making Baekhyun laugh.
 
"Tell me about this one." Baekhyun urged.
 
Chanyeol studied the painting. "This was going to be a gift, but the guy broke up with you before it was finished."
 
"What else?" Baekhyun questioned.
 
"And you didn't throw it away because you wanted a reminder of how people can come into your life and wreck it, leaving you empty. Very dramatic by the way." Chanyeol added, winking at the other teasingly. 
 
"Do you get it now?" asked Baekhyun. "Do you see why I could never show these to him?"
 
Chanyeol was quiet for a moment.
 
Baekhyun re-stacked his paintings, placing them in their original spot.
 
"You didn't trust him from the beginning." Canyeol said. "You never let him into your heart."
 
"Bingo." Baekhyun sighed. It was true. He had to accept half of the responsibility for the failure of his and Kris's relationship.
 
"Food's ready!" Baekhyun's grandmother called up the stairs.
 
Baekhyun held out his hand to help Chanyeol stand up. As Chanyeol got to his feet he pulled Baekhyun into a warm embrace. "Thank you baby." he said, his mouth so close to Baekhyun's ear that he shivered. "Thank you for letting me in."
 
Baekhyun nodded. It was still scary revealing his innermost self to someone.
 
Chanyeol leaned down and kissed him. In that moment time seemed to stop. Their lips slotted together perfectly, moving in tandem, their tongues dancing and teasing each other, Baekhyun's arms looped around Chanyeol's neck, while Chanyeol's arms were securely wrapped around Baekhyun's waist pulling him closer. Both boys began to get hard as their movements were causing friction in certain areas. Baekhyun pulled back from the kiss first. "We'd better go eat." he said.
 
"I'd rather eat you." Chanyeol said, giving Baekyun a look that made his knees turn to jelly and his brain turn to mush.
 
"Damn it Chanyeol, behave!" Baekhyun admonished playfully hitting Chanyeol's chest. 
 
"What'd I do?" Chanyeol asked innocently.
 
"Boys?" his grandmother called again.
 
"Coming!" Baekhyun said as he scurried down the stairs, Chanyeol right behind him.
 
Baekhyun's grandmother had outdone herself.  A platter with beef and lettuce to make wraps was in the center of the table, while the rest of the table was completely covered in side dishes.
 
Chanyeol's mouth began to water looking at all the food. "This looks delicious." he said. "It's been a long time since I've had home cooking."
 
"Well dig in! Baekhyun, you could stand to put on a some weight. A man needs a little something to grab onto if you know what I mean, right Chanyeol?" she said winking in his direction.
 
Both Baekhyun and Chanyeol turned beet red at her comment nearly choking on their lettuce wraps.
 
"Isn't this just lovely weather?" she asked as if she hadn't just implied that they were sleeping together.
 
Thankfully the rest of the conversation revolved around Baekhyun's childhood, his grandmother's garden, as well as plans for him once he leaves Kris and is out on his own. Both Chanyeol and his grandmother tried to talk him into taking art classses but he didn't think he'd be able to what with trying to  support himself and all.
 
After dinner, they started to help with the dishes but she shooed them out to the deck. "Go on and enjoy the view while you're here, I'll bring some tea."
 
Chaneyol looked at her and they shared a laugh.
 
"Don't worry, it won't be poisoned, I like you." she assured him. Watching the boys as they walked to the deck, she saw Chanyeol pick up the scarf and wrap it around Baekhyun's neck, pausing to run his thumbs over the embroidered hearts. Next Chanyeol placed a kiss on top of Baekhyn's head and she heard her grandson giggle. "Yes," she said to herself, "I like you."
~~~~~~~
"Tea." she announced.
 
Chanyeol jumped up and took the tea tray from her. They sat talking for a little while, just little things, having already talked about the major issues.
 
"Next time you two visit me, I want you to sing for me Chanyeol."
 
He sat a bit straighter. "I can sing for you now if you'd like." he said.
 
"Jinjja? But I don't have any music."
 
He smiled. I don't need music, it's inside of me." he said as he stood up and traded places with Baekhyun, who now sat next to his grandmother holding her hand in his. Baekhyun took the scarf off of himself and wrapped it around her shoulders.
 
Chanyeol cleared his throat and began to sing "Hug Me".
 
When Chanyeol stopped singing it was silent for a moment.
 
"You're a lucky man to be able to listen to that beautiful voice." Baekhyun's grandmother told him, patting him on the knee.
 
"Chanyeol, I'm sorry I can't listen to your music since there is no radio up here, but you will have to come back and sing for me again. You have the voice of an angel."
 
Chanyeol bowed. "Thank you." he said. "I will treasure your words always."
 
The ship's horn blasted, echoing across the island.
 
"Already?" Baekhyun whined frowning at his cell phone. "Grandmother, let me get a picture of all of us okay?"
 
"Of course dear." She got up and positioned herself between them, their backs against the railing to include the view. "Send me a copy so I can show off my beautiful grandson and his handsome new boyfriend."
 
Chanyeol and Baekhyun exchanged a smile.
 
"Say Kimchi!"  Baekhyun said as he held out the selca stick. Baekhyun reeled in his phone to check the picture. "Perfect!" he grinned.
 
Reaching up, she gave each boy a hug and a kiss, gave them each a container of leftovers, and made them promise to visit soon. As they walked to the taxi, she called Chanyeol back. He glanced at Baekhyun, shrugged his shoulders, and then walked back to the porch.
 
Baekhyun saw her whisper something to Chanyeol, who then nodded, bowed, and hugged her.
 
They both waved as they taxi drove back to town. "What did she say to you?" Baekhyun asked.
 
"Nothing." Chanyeol said, taking Baekhyun's hand in his.
 
"Nothing is always something." Baekhyun said.
 
"Baek, it's nothing, she just thanked me for making you smile."
 
Baekhyun still wasn't sure that's what his grandmother had said, but he was far too happy to press it right now.
~~~~~
 
Just before entering town, Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a quick kiss before putting on his hat, sunglasses, and mask and slipping out of the cab. Baekhyun let himself be driven to where he had previously arranged to meet up with Kai and his group  to avoid being seen together with Chanyeol.
 
"Baekhyun-hyung!" Kai yelled once he spotted his friend. "Over here!"
 
Baekhyun smiled as soon as he saw the younger boy. As soon as the two were together they began to talk like long lost friends. Since the ship had only sounded one of the two warning horns and they were still within walking distance of the ship, Kai insisted that they go to a new boutique he'd found. He swore that Baekhyun would 'just die' for the clothes they had there.
~~~~~
 
Chanyeol arrived in town just in time to see Baekhyun and his friend practically skipping towards a clothing store. He just shook his head. Chanyeol managed to board the ship with only a few people noticing him, and he went straight to his cabin to take a nap before dinner. It had been an exhausting day. How in the heck Baekhyun could even think about shopping right now was beyond him.
~~~~~
 
Chanyeol pulled the small velvet box from Baekhyun's grandmother out of his pocket. Carefully opening it, he saw a beautiful ring. It was simple, yet complex at the same time. At first glance, it was just a silver ring, but as it caught the light, you could see the delicate angles that had been cut into the metal, creating an intricate pattern, quite unique.
 
"I refused to give this to Kris. I never liked that bastard." she had said, shocking him with her choice of words. "This was the ring given to me by Baekhyun's grandfather when we got married. It is meant to show that you should appreciate the simple things, because upon closer inspection, they are the most beautiful. You will probably have to get it sized, Baekhyun has such slendar fingers, but when the time is right, present this ring to my Beakkie. He will know where it came from and that you have my blessing."
 
Chanyeol had hugged her then. "Thank you." he said against her neck.
 
"Just promise me that you won't ever give up on him, he can be too stubborn for his own good sometimes."
 
"I promise." he said, thanking her again before turning to join Baekhyun in the taxi.
 
Chanyeol closed the lid and hid the ring in his suitcase. "Soon" he thought. "Soon."
~~~~~
 
Although it was only 4:30 p.m., he was worn out. Crawling under the covers, Chanyeol snuggled into the pile of pillows and was asleep in no time. He didn't even hear the raucous giggling outside of his door when Baekhyun and Kai returned from their shopping trip and once again struggled with finding the key card, and shuffling packages.