Chapter 5

An Affair To Remember (ChanBaek version, some KaiSoo)

Baekhyun was in the make up room an hour early so that he could look around and set up things the way he needed them. It had been a long time since he'd done this professionally, and it felt good. Looking through Chanyeol's wardrobe he was more than impressed. Whoever did his shopping knew the latest styles. Baekhyun opened his own bag pulling out some makeup remover and a base that he had found on one of his shopping trips. He was washing his hands when he heard the door open and Chanyeol's voice as he thanked whomever had escorted him.

 
Chanyeol froze, their eyes meeting in the mirror.
 
Baekhyun stood up straight, tossed the paper towel in the trash, and gave Chanyeol a close lipped smile.
 
"What are you doing here?" Chanyeol asked, careful not to show any emotion in his voice.
 
"It seems that life has a sense of humor Chanyeol, as it turns out, you requested me to be here." the smaller one said crossing his arms across his chest smugly.
 
"I did?" Chanyeol asked, his eyebrows knitting together, his hand playing with the hairs on the back of his neck.
 
"You did." Baekhyun said. "You specifically asked for a wardrobe / makeup person to be with you all day today until after the concert."
 
"And that's you?" Chanyeol asked, still looking confused.
 
"That's me." Baekhyun said, angry that Chanyeol looked so adorable when he didn't know what was going on.
 
They looked at each other then, neither knowing what to do next.
 
"You slapped me." Chanyeol said.
 
"You kissed me." Baekhyun replied.
 
Chanyeol blushed. "You kissed me back."
 
Baekhyun blushed, then cleared his throat. "Look, the Captain hired me to be here, but if you'd rather do your own makeup, that's fine with me, just return the before and after creams." Baekhyun said as he grabbed his bag.
 
"Don't go." Chanyeol said quietly, his hand reaching out to lightly hold on to Bakehyun's wrist. "Please?"
 
Baekhyun stopped. Looking into the mirror, Chanyeol looked so fragile that he just wanted to wrap his arms around him. Baekhyun spun around not trusting what he saw in the mirror. Chanyeol was looking at his shoes as he shuffled them.
 
Baekhyun sighed. "Fine, go wash your face with this." he said tossing the cream to the now smiling Chanyeol.
 
Chanyeol caught it, looked at it briefly, then went into the bathroom to do as he was told.
 
Baekhyun decided that it would be best just to forget about last night and to focus on the job at hand.
 
Once Chanyeol finished in the bathroom, Baekhyun had him sit in front of the mirrors. Baekhyun secured Chanyeol's hair in a clip on the top of his head.
 
Chanyeol stifled a laugh.
 
"What's so funny." Baekhyun asked.
 
"Nothing." Chanyeol replied trying not to giggle.
 
Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol in the mirror. Clearly something was amusing the other. "What?!" he demanded.
 
"I look funny." Chanyeol said, now giggling like an idiot.
 
Baekhyun looked again at Chanyeol's reflection. Indeed, he did look funny with his hair sticking up in the middle of his head like a Kewpie doll. Baekhyun rolled his eyes seeing how amused Chanyeol was over something so simple. Taking the end of his comb he hit the ponytail causing it to sway from side to side. Apparently Chanyeol found this hilarious as he started laughing so hard that he began to sink down into the chair gasping for breath.
 
Baekhyun just shook his head. 'What a child.' he thought. Soon however, Baekhyun found himself laughing  as well because Chanyeol was laughing so hard at something so stupid, which made Chanyeol's ponytail bounce, which made him laugh even more. 
 
Finally the giggles died down, and Baekhyun was able to continue. He hopped up onto the counter with a leg on either side of Chanyeol allowing him to lean in closer to better reach Chanyeol's face when applying the makeup. Chanyeol was not an easy canvas to work on, as he kept squirming and looking this way and that as if he were unable to hold still.
 
"Why do I need full stage makeup now?" Chanyeol whined. "The show isn't until tonight? This is just a rehearsal."
 
"Didn't they give you a schedule?" Baekhyun asked.
 
Chanyeol didn't say anything.
 
"I swear, you are such a baby! And here I thought you were supposed to be a bad- idol." Baekhyun said as he applied the BB creme to Chanyeol's face.
 
"Things aren't always what they seem Mr. Byun." Chanyeol said quietly.
 
Baekhyun was quiet for a few minutes as he covered some problem areas with concealer. Sensing that he may have hurt Chanyeol's feelings again, Baekhyun paused. He lifted Chanyeol's chin so that he could look him in the eyes. "Look....the cruise line will be shooting photos for advertising purposes, and I expect, some reporters may be there as well wanting to see how excited you are to be returning to your fiance." Baekhyun let go of Chanyeol and reached behind him for the black eyeliner.
 
"Oh." Chanyeol said glumly. He'd forgotten about Suho. Ever since he'd laid eyes on the boy across the hall, he hadn't thought of much else. "Baek, about last night..." Chanyeol began...
 
"Let's just forget it okay? Hold still." Baekhyun leaned forward steadying his hand on Chanyeol's cheek bone as he applied the eyeliner. "Look down." he instructed.
 
Chanyeol did as he was told. His eyes noticed Baekhyun's other hand keeping himself from falling off of the counter. There on the third finger was a larger-than-life ring. 'Oh God, how could I have been such an ?!' he mentally scolded himself. More than that, he wondered how he managed to not notice such a ring. Clearly Baekhyun was taken.
 
Chanyeol played back last night in his mind. Baekhyun had kissed him back....he was sure of it! And now to find out that the pretty boy belonged to someone else? (Never mind that he was soon to married himself....) Chanyeol wasn't sure about anything anymore, he just knew that he needed to be near the other boy.
 
When Baekhyun turned around to grab the mascara, Chanyeol gathered his nerves together. "You're married?" he asked quietly.
 
Baekhyun paused a moment, collecting his thoughts. "Engaged."
 
Uncapping the tube of mascara he leaned towards Chanyeoel. "Look up." he said. After applying the first coat, he turned reaching for a blotting cloth. 
 
"Baek, I'm so..." Chanyeol started to say before the other put his fingers on his lips stopping him from speaking.
 
"But..." Baekhyun said, taking a deep breath, "It's over......we're over."
 
Chanyeol felt bad for Baekhyun, but strangely happy at the same time. "I'm sorry." he said, the corners of his mouth tipping up ever so slightly.
 
Baekhyun sighed. "Don't be. It's been a long time coming. Second coat." Baekhyun said pointing to the ceiling. Chanyeol looked up. Baekhyun couldn't help but to look into the other's eyes as he was coating his lashes for the second time. Chanyeol had big brown eyes, and when they weren't glaring at you, they looked like a sad puppy's eyes. Baekhyun smirked at that image.
 
"What?" Chanyeol asked, still looking at the ceiling.
 
"You're just different than I thought you'd be." Baekhyun said.
 
"Oh?" Chanyeol asked not sure he wanted to know what the other had originally thought of him. He knew good and well his reputation, and that most people believed the trash that was printed about him.
 
Baekhyun looked over the different eye shadows that were available. "Any preference?" he asked.
 
"Whatever." Chanyeol said shurgging his shoulders. 
 
"No...what's your favorite?" Baekhyun insisted. He assumed Chanyeol didn't get to make many decisions about his life, he may as well get to choose what damn eye shadow he wanted.
 
Baekhyun was still straddling him sitting on the makeup counter. He scooted over so that Chanyeol could see the color palettes. Chanyeol leaned forward looking at all the colors. He had never thought about what he wanted, he had just let whoever was in charge decide everything. What if he picked wrong? He didn't want to mess up the photo shoot.
 
Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "Look, Yeol, it's just make up, you can't go wrong. If it looks terrible, we can wash it off and start over, but trust me, whatever color you choose, I can make it look good. Now... pick a color."
 
Chanyeol smiled at the new moniker, then looked at the colors again. "Black." he said looking proud of himself.
 
"Okay, that's a start, now pick an actual color. You do know what colors are don't you Chanyeol?" Baekyun asked sarcastically.
 
"Black is a color." Chanyeol said.
 
"Park Chanyeol pick an actual color or I'm going to leave you to do this yourself." Baekhyun threatened. "It's not that hard. Just pick your favorite color!"
 
Chanyeol grabbed the black eye shadow and handed it to Baekhyn before the other had a conniption fit. "I. Like. The black one." 
 
Baekhyun huffed and began to "aggressively" apply black to Chanyeol's eyelids.
 
 Chanyeol made a mental note to not make Baelhyun angry. Angry Baekhyun was scary.
 
Once the hair and makeup was done, Baekhyun led Chanyeol over to the rack of clothes. "These are the clothes that you can choose from." 
 
Chanyeol stood there not moving, just looking at the clothes.
 
"Oh my God, do you not even know how to pick out an outfit?!" Baekhyun admonished.
 
 "Uh....usually they just tell me what to wear." Chanyeol said sheepishly.
 
Baekhyun was ready to scold Chanyeol again, until he saw the look on his face.  It was as if Chanyeol's feelings had been hurt. "Hey...I'm sorry. I didn't mean..."
 
"Don't worry about it." Chanyeol said cutting him off. "It's kind of pathetic isn't it? A big star like me and I can't even dress myself. I'm just a damn puppet."
 
Baekhyun walked over to Chanyeol. "I didn't mean it. I shouldn't have said anything. I'm not in any position to judge. I'm just as much of a puppet as you are."
 
"I doubt that." Chanyeol scoffed.
 
"Honest." Baekhyun said. "I don't even know who the hell I am anymore. I'm here pretending to be engaged to someone who I thought loved me, but has been cheating on me for I don't know how long, I'm expected to smile and take it like a good little boy and not cause any trouble or 'embarrassment' for him or his stupid company. I'm so sick of being trotted out like a show pony for the public. And the worst part? When we get back to Seoul, I'll have to act as if nothing has happened. Why? Because I don't have the money to go anywhere else. I don't have the skills to support myself. I don't even have friends of my own to go to for help. That's why, Mr. Park Chanyeol, I am not in any position to scold you for not picking out something so insignificant as what you want to wear. It's my job to dress you, so I will, and you will look even more amazing than you do right now." After spilling his guts Baekhyun looked empty. His knees began to shake as the tears began to fall, and he sobbed openly.
 
Chanyeol was speechless. He had no idea that Baekhyun's life was like that. He wanted nothing more than to make him stop hurting, but he didn't know what to do. Before he could think about it, he pulled Baekhyun into his arms and hugged him tight against his chest, almost squeezing all the air out of his lungs.
 
Baekhyun couldn't hold it together any longer. He was tired. Tired of trying to be everything to everyone. He just wanted to forget everything. Baekhyun closed his eyes as Chanyeol leaned in gently pressing their lips together. The kiss was soft and sweet. Questioning, asking permission. Baekhyun gave it. After a few minutes Chanyeol pulled back, brushing the hair out of his eyes. "You are so beautiful." he said.
 
Baekhyun blushed and pulled away. "I'm sorry Chanyeol. I don't know what came over me. C'mon, let's fix your makeup and then I'll help you pick an outfit okay?" he said wiping the tears from his cheeks. Looking in the mirror Baekhyun yelped. "Oh no, this won't do at all, one look at me and they'll make me walk the plank."
 
"They still do that?" Chanyeol asked, his eyes wide with disbelief.
 
Baekhyun finished applying some cover up on his cheeks. "No Yeol, they don't still do that."
 
"I like that." Chanyeol said smiling.
 
Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "Yes, I'm glad that you like that they don't still throw people overboard."
 
"No, smart , I like that you call me 'Yeol'. No one's ever done that before." Chanyeol replied.
 
"Oh." Baekhyun paused, "That." 
 
"Yes. That." Chanyeol said wrapping his arms around him giving him a back hug.
 
Baekhyun spun around breaking loose of the taller's hold and headed over to the clothing rack flipping through pieces until he pulled out what he thought would look good on the other. "Here, wear these." Baekhyun said handing Chanyeol the clothes.
 
Chanyeol took them gratefully, and went to the bathroom to change.
 
Baekhyun fanned himself with his hand. 'What the hell Baek?' he asked himself. 'Get a grip, he's engaged for crying out loud.'
 
"How do I look?" Chanyeol asked, interrupting his thoughts.
 
Baekhyun swallowed. He knew that Chanyeol would look good, but damn!
 
"Y-you look good. Really good." he stammered.
 
Chanyeol smiled. "Thanks to you."
 
There was a knock on door startling both of them. Baekhyun answered the door in case it was a fan or a reporter. It wasn't. It was just the photographer's assistant telling them that the shoot would start in about 15 minutes on the main stage, if they were ready.
 
"We'll be there." Baekhyun said thanking the young girl and closing the door. "Ready?" he asked.
 
Chanyeol nodded.
~~~~~
 
Luckily since it was still early, the only people they passed as they were led to the main stage were either too old to recognize Chanyeol, or crew members who had been instructed to act like the idol was just a normal passenger.
 
When they arrived and Baekhyun saw the stage, he was in awe. "Wow. This is amazing!"
 
Chanyeol looked at the stage. The way it was dressed went along with his album concept. He had never really paid much attention to it. He'd been in on the concept meetings, and just listened as the label made all of the major decisions. Looking at the set through Beakhyun's eyes however, he could see that it was kind of cool. He hadn't ever really thought about it, other than to count his steps or to hit a certain mark as he did the dances. He smiled at the look of wonder on Baekhyun's face.
 
"Chanyeol!" the photographer waved as he walked over to greet him. "Just go ahead and take your place on stage."
 
Chaneyeol took two steps, then turned to look at Baekhyun. "Are you staying?"
 
Baekhyun gulped. "Can I?"
 
"I don't see why not." Chanyeol said.
 
Baekhyun looked at the photographer. "It doesn’t  matter to me," the man said, "just don't get in the way."
 
Baekhyun sat in one of the theatre seats. He watched as Chanyeol moved fluidly from one pose to the next so effortlessly. Once several shots were done, they called in the dancers. "Kai!" Baekhyun yelled excitedly as he saw his friend take his place among the other dancers. Upon seeing Baekhyun, Kai grinned and waved.
 
The photographer glared at Baekhyun who apologized and sunk down in his chair. Chanyeol turned his gaze on the boy to whom Beakhyun had waved. It was the boy that had woken him up with his giggling outside of his door. Wasn't he the Captain's son? Just what was the relationship between him and Baekhyun. Chanyeol's stomach began to hurt. He recognized that feeling. He was jealous. Damn.
 
"Okay, we're going to play the MR and you just do the dance like you would for the performance, but when I yell freeze....freeze. Got it? Good." the photographer instructed.
 
As soon as the music began to play, Baekhyun sat transfixed as Chanyeol transformed into the man of his dreams, ing and grinding in front of him. He saw Chanyeol for the superstar he was. The power that emanated from him was causing a 'reaction' to a certain part of his body. It was one thing to get excited from a photo in the privacy of your own home, but it was quite another to pop a  in public.
 
Baekhyun cursed his body for reacting to the raw appeal that was Chanyeol. If the photographer hadn't yelled "Freeze!" Baekhyun wasn't sure how much longer he would have been able to hold it together.  
 
As everyone on stage held their poses, Baekhyun looked at the dancers. Kai had told him that he and the ship's dancers had worked overtime to learn the choreography for three different songs for tonight's performance.
 
"Aaaaand go." the photographer called out. Instantly the music resumed and the dancers picked up right where they left off, not missing a beat.
 
After at least two hours, the photo shoot was finally over. Chanyeol bowed to the photographer and his assistants, thanking them. Then he turned and bowed to the dance team, thanking them for learning the dances. Chanyeol was courteous enough to pose for selcas and give autographs to those that wanted them. "Thank you all again, I'll see you tonight for the show!" He said cheerily.
 
Walking off of the stage, he made a beeline towards Baekhyun, took his hand in his, and led them out of the theatre. "Let's get something to eat." Chanyeol said, "I'm starving!"
 
"Yeol," Baekhyun said, " I think you're going the wrong way, this is the way back to our rooms."
 
Chanyeol stopped. "I'm getting room service. I can't deal with people right now. Okay?"
 
Baekhyun nodded. "I understand, you want to be left alone."
 
"No." Chanyeol said as he stopped and looked into Baekhyun's eyes. "Not alone..."
 
Baekhyun didn't feel like fighting his feelings anymore. "I am so going to hell." he said.
 
"Then let me lead the way." Chanyeol said taking Baekhyun into his arms and stealing a kiss.
 
Click.