Chapter 3

An Affair To Remember (ChanBaek version, some KaiSoo)

Baekhyun woke up, still dressed, with half a bottle of champagne on the bedside table, and a raging headache. "Bastard!" he cursed, rubbing his eyes. Looking at the clock he decided he should probably get up, shower, and get moving. As he emptied his pockets he pulled out the Captain's business card turning it over in his hand. "I will have an attendant you to my cabin at 10:00 am."

"!" Baekhyun exclaimed looking at the clock again as he hurried to shower and dress. While applying the last bit of lip balm there was a knock on the door. Opening the door he found himself face to face with Kai.

 
"Good morning! May I you to the Captain?" Kai said as he bowed.
 
"Oh! It's You!" Baekyun said smiling at the boy from last night. "Kai, right?"
 
"At your service!" Kai smiled, giving a mock salute.
 
The two talked like old friends as Kai led him down the many passages that led to the Captain's office. Baekhyun learned that Kai was a dancer in one of the shows but in order to make enough money, he was also filling in for crew members on their days off. One day he might be a cabin boy, the next he may be washing dishes, or leading one of the yoga classes.
 
"How do you do all that?" Baekhyun asked. "Don't you get tired?"
 
Kai laughed. "Not at all! It's fun to do different things, and I've learned a lot!"
 
Baekhyun hadn't noticed, but now they were standing outside of the Captain's door. Kai knocked.
 
"Come in!" a voice called from the inside.
 
Kai opened the door allowing Baekhyun to enter first. "Mr. Byun Baekhyun, Sir." Kai announced bowing.
 
The Captain returned his bow. "Thank you Jongin, why don't you take the rest of the day off? Weren't you up late in the dining room?"
 
Kai....or Jongin....bowed again. "Thank you Sir, but I'm helping with the incoming show later."
 
"Ahhhh, that's right.... just don't over do it okay? I don't need the other cruise lines saying that I abuse my workers." The Captain said as he ruffled the younger's hair.
 
"Appa!" Kai squwaked, finger-combing his hair back into place.
 
"Dismissed." The Captain said giving Kai a hug.
 
Kai winked at Baekhyun before he left the room. 'Appa? That little stinker!'  Baekhyun thought.
 
"Please, have a seat." The Captain said gesturing to one of the chairs in front of his desk.
 
"Sooo Kai is your son? That explains a lot." Baekhyun asked.
 
The Captain chuckled. "Yes, I want him to run the ship one day, he wants to be a dancer, so this is sort of a compromise." Baekhyunn nodded as the Captain continued. "First off, I'd like to thank you for coming and allowing me to talk with you this morning." The Captain began. "Second, I have a proposal that I'd like you to consider."
 
Baekhyun listened as the Captain continued; "In about an hour, we will be making our first stop. At that time, we are expecting a V.I.P. to board and remain aboard with us for the remainder of the cruise."
 
Baekhyun's eyes widened thinking that he'd be on the same ship as a celebrity.
 
"I'm sure you're wondering why I'm telling you this?" The Captain asked. Baekhyun nodded again.
 
"This celebrity comes with a particular rider."
 
"A 'rider'?" Baekhyun asked.
 
"A rider is is a set of requests or demands that a performer sets as criteria for their performance." The Captain clarified. "Anyway, this particular artist requires that we provide a dressing room attendant to help with wardrobe and make up."
 
Baekhyun perked up at that bit of information.
 
"You can probably see where this is going?" The Captain asked before he continued. "It would cause problems trying to choose just one of our performers to help with a celebrity, and our regular crew members just wouldn't be qualified." The Captain cleared his throat before he continued. "So, basically, since our talk last night, I was wondering if you would be interested in the position. We would pay the standard fees and you would be refunded your ticket price for this voyage."
 
Baekhyun's mouth dropped open. "Excuse me?" he asked. "I mean...Sir....just to be clear, you are wanting to pay for my trip plus pay for my services? Just to help with makeup and wardrobe for one show? With a celebrity?"
 
"Let's just say it's been made clear to me that this celebrity's happiness with with our cruise line is of the utmost importance. So...are you interested?" the Captain asked.
 
"Why me again?" asked Baekhyun.
 
"Well, you are practically a celebrity yourself, Baekhyun. It is known that your role behind the scenes within the Wu Corporation have been instumental to their success. I know that you host various events and such, and after talking to you about your love for the arts, and watching you interact with the other guests, as well as your obvious fashion sense, I believe you are more than qualified." The Captain paused, and then as if embarrassed, said: "That, and Jongin recommended you."
 
"Jongin?" Baekhyun asked. 
 
"My son, although these days he goes by 'Kai'....says it's 'cooler'."
 
Baekhyun couldn't help but to laugh out loud at that. His laugh being loud and infectious, the Captain was soon laughing along side him.
 
"I'll do it." Baekhyun said. Then, thinking a moment, he asked; "Who is this celebrity?"
 
"Oh, let's see, I have it somewhere...." the Captain said as he shuffled some papers on his desk. "Ah....here it is! It is a Mr. Park. Park Chanyeol."
 
 Baekhyun's eyes went wide and he swallowed. His breath hitched. 'Oh my dear God!' he thought. That was the very person that he had fantasized about when having with Kris, or when he had some "me time" to himself, or just...whenever...
 
"Go ahead and go ashore today and enjoy yourself, once Mr.Park is established in his suite, we will arrange an introduction and sort out the details." The Captain said.
 
Baekhyun stood up, bowed, and walked to the door.
 
"Oh, and Baekhyun?" The Captain called out. "Thank you."
 
Baekhyun nodded, still not able to speak properly.
 
Once he was out in the hall, he was grabbed around his waist and spun in circles by someone who was squealing in his ear.
 
"Yah! Put me down!" he hollered, not knowing who had grabbed him. Immediately he was set down, and found himself face-to-face with Kai.
 
"Hyung! Did you get the job?" Kai asked excitedly.
 
Baekhyun laughed. "Yes. I suppose I did, thanks to you."
 
Kai smiled brightly. "I knew it would work out! Park Chanyeol! Can you believe it? Here on our ship!"
 
"What job are you doing now?" Baekhyun asked, changing the subject.
 
"I've got the rest of the day off, until I have to help with the show." Kai replied.
 
"No you don't." Baekhyun argued, causing the younger to look at him curiously. "Today my friend, you are going ashore with me! I need some fun and you are just the person I need right now!"
 
"Hang on hyung!" Kai said eagerly as he opened the Captain's door and leaned in. "Appa? I'm going ashore with Baekhyun-hyung okay?"
 
Soon the two new friends were hand in hand walking down the gang plank to see what the island had to offer.