Chapter 4

An Affair To Remember (ChanBaek version, some KaiSoo)

 

As expected Chanyeol was surrounded by fans and paparazzi as he boarded the ship. Someone from the record label introduced him to the Captain and an "official" photo was taken of them shaking hands. Chanyeol kept his sunglasses on, still hung over from the night before and allowed himself to be led to his suite. Once behind closed doors, he collapsed onto the bed groaning. "Why am I doing this?" he asked as he picked up the towel-dog and gave it a few shakes making it's ears flop.

 
"Because you need some good publicity right now, and there's nothing more romantic than a man returning to Seoul to win the heart of his true love."
 
Chanyeol snorted. "Right." he said, his deep voice void of any feeling. "I forgot."
 
The man handed Chanyeol his schedule. "I'll meet you when the ship returns home, I've got to fly back and do damage control thanks to your 'festivities' last night. Do you have any questions?"
 
Chanyeol shook his head. He just wanted to be left alone so that he could sleep.
 
"Okay then, I'm trusting you to be on your best behavior. Remember you are surrounded by fans, and they all have cell phones, and those cell phones have cameras." Patting his client on the shoulder, "Don't look so down, things could be worse." That being said, he took his leave, finally leaving Chanyeol alone.
 
"Worse. Yeah. Right." Chanyeol muttered to himself. He sat for a few minutes trying to comprehend everything. Unfolding the paper he'd been given, he studied his schedule. His show was for tomorrow night, thank God, and so that left tonight to relax with only a dinner to attend at the Captain's table. Tomorrow morning would be for wardrobe, makeup and sound check. There was a special note stating that as per his instructions, he was being provided with a wardrobe / makeup assistant whose name was Mr. Byun Baekhyun, whom he would meet tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. Chanyeol scooted up in the bed not even bothering to get underneath the covers. Soon he was sound asleep, holding the towel-dog on his chest.
~~~~~
 
The ship blew it's horn signaling to everyone on the island of it's impending departure. Kai and Baekhyun trudged up the gangplank each overloaded with shopping bags, wearing matching sunglasses and silly hats.
 
"I see you two had fun." The Captain said interrupting their laughter.
 
"Ne, kamsahamnida." They said in unison, then burst out laughing again.
 
"Jongin, I mean Kai, you will be dining with me tonight. Baekhyun, may I expect you as well?"
 
"It would be my honor." Baekhyun said bowing again. Kai clapped him on the back, almost knocking him down with his enthusiasm.
 
The Captain just smiled at his son and his new friend. "Dismissed." he said rolling his eyes.
 
The two boys scrambled back to Baekhyun's suite juggling their purchases and giving each other little shoves, giggling like kids. Baekhyun had to set down his parcels to search his bag for his key card.
 
"Hurry!" Kai urged.
 
"Hang on Mr. Impatient, I know it's here somewhere."  Baekhyun muttered as he continued fishing for his key card.
 
"I need the bathroom!" Kai said hopping up and down.
 
"Ah ha! I told you!" Baekhyun exclaimed triumphantly, as he held up the key card. "I knew it was in here!"
 
Just then the door across the hall opened and a figure glared at them. "Would you two lovebirds mind keeping it down?"
 
Both boys froze. Standing in the opposite doorway was none other than Park Chanyeol, the idol.
 
Kai gave a 90 degree bow and apologized.
 
Baekhyun lowered his sunglasses and huffed as he turned to open his door. Once inside he pulled Kai into the room, tossed his hair out of his eyes, gave Mr. Park Chanyeol one last glare before spinning on his heels, and shutting the door with his hips.
 
Chanyeol was left staring at the closed door. Realizing that he was just standing there like an idiot, he shook his head and went back inside his suite. "Diva." he spat towards the closed door. 
 
'Who the hell does he think he is?!' Baekhyun grumbled.
 
"OMO! That was Park Chanyeol!" Kai exclaimed, and then, "Bathroooom!" as he ran to relieve himself leaving Baekhyun to sort out the shopping bags.
 
Baekhyun didn't appreciate being told to 'be quiet' even if it was from an idol. And just what was that remark about being lovebirds? Clearly Mr. Park was homophobic. 'Won't he be in for a surprise tomorrow when he sees I'm his assistant', thought Baekhyun. 'What a shame, he was just so damn good looking too.' Baekhyun figured that it must be true what they say, if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
 
"Ahhhh, much better!" Kai announced as he left the bathroom. "Did you sort through the bags?" he asked.
 
"Oh...yes, your's are over there." Baekhyun pointed to the ones by the door.
 
Kai gave Baekhyun another slap on the back almost knocking him onto the bed, had not Baekhyun braced himself at the last second. "Thank you for today! I had so much fun!" Kai said happily.
 
Baekhyun laughed and ruffled Kai's hair. "I did too, I guess I'll see you at dinner. Will you be escorting me?"
 
"Not tonight, tonight I have to do my duty as the 'Jongin,Captain's son' remember? Do you need an ?" he asked.
 
"No, I think I can find my way by now, a friend of mine taught me an easy way to remember the deck order." Baekhyun said winking.
 
Kai laughed. "I'll save you a seat though, okay? I mean, if you want?"
 
Baekhyun smiled. "You had better!"
 
"I had better get back to my cabin. Bye Baekhyun-hyung!" Kai called out as he left.
~~~~~
 
After a quick nap and a shower, Baekhyun took his time getting dressed, doing his hair and his makeup. "I don't know why I'm dressing up for that jerk, no matter how good looking he is." he told his reflection. Despite his efforts to remain indifferent he was all butterflies in his stomach. "It's not for him, it's for my reputation, for the Wu Corporation, for the record label, and for the Cruise line." he said continuing his conversation with the 'Baekhyun' in the mirror. Sadly, it looked like the Baekhyun in the mirror didn't believe him.
 
Finally it was time for Baekhyun to leave for dinner. After locking his door, Baekhyun stepped backwards out into the narrow passageway bumping into none other than Park Chanyeol.
 
"Joesonghamnida" Chanyeol bowed and apologized to a stunned Baekhyun. "I...I'm supposed to go to dinner, but I'm not sure...uhm...when? I think someone was coming for me, but I may have been in the shower?" he said sheepishly, running his hand over the nape of his neck. One of his nervous habits.
 
Baekhyun just stood there staring at Chanyeol.
 
"Do...do you know how to get to the main dining room?" Chanyeol asked hopefully.
 
Baekhyun continued to stare. Suddenly realizing that Chanyeol had asked him a question. "Ah....yes. I'm going there myself, would you like to go with me?" To his surprise the tall man seemed grateful.
 
"Yes, thank you." Chanyeol said. "And, I'm sorry about earlier....I was kinda tired."
 
Baekhyun couldn't help but to think that he looked more like a lost puppy instead of the bad idol that he was according to the gossip magazines. Perhaps they had gotten off on the wrong foot....
~~~~~
Baekhyun and Chanyeol walked in relative silence to the main dining room, having to stop several times for people wanting autographs or photos with the idol. To his credit, Chanyeol was very gracious to his fans, flashing his goofy grin, and flirting. It was in fact Baekhyun who became frustrated with the constant stops. He couldn't imagine his life like that. Maybe that's why Chanyeol was so tired earlier. It was probably his only chance to nap.
 
Baekhyun  found himself stealing glances at Chanyeol. Once the elder had caught him staring and winked at him, resulting in Baekhyun having to turn away to hide his blush. If Chanyeol only knew what he had done while looking at his photos he would just die. Baekhyun had to admit that Chanyeol was much better looking in person, and perhaps
not as much of a jerk as he had originally thought.
~~~~~
 
Once they arrived, the entire dining room became silent. Soon however, it was filled with whispers and camera flashes as they were escorted to the Captain's table. The Captain stood and bowed, welcoming the two, and made the proper introductions. The other guests followed suit. Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun bowed, and let themselves be seated by the host. Baekhyun recognized some of the people from the night before, and wondered if the news of him having dinner with Park Chanyeol would reach Kris. Cursing himself for even thinking of the other, he took a drink and renewed his resolution to enjoy himself, no matter what.
 
Everyone made small talk during the meal, they were all V.I.P.'s in their own rights, some were major business leaders, some were actors /models, Chanyeol, of course, was an idol, Jongin was the Captain's son. In fact, Baekhyun was the only one who actually felt out of place at the table, even though he covered it well. He had spent so many hours being Kris's fiance, entertaining Wu Corporation clients, attending charity events representing the Wu family, that he had forgotten about his own goals and dreams. Being Baekhyun, however, he could go toe to toe with the best of them.
 
Throughout the meal, Baekhyun noticed that Chanyeol would occasionally sneak glances at him. Once their thighs touched as Chanyeol shifted in his chair trying to adjust his long legs. Another time, Chanyeol's fingers brushed against his as he passed the dinner rolls.
 
When the meal was finished, Chanyeol leaned back in his chair, his arm resting across the back of Baekhyun's chair. Beakhyun subtly shifted away. Kai shot him a questioning look, which Baekhyun returned. For all the world it seemed as if Chanyeol was flirting with him. Baekhyun fumed. He wasn't going to be used anymore. Like the rest of the world, he had read about Chanyeol's escapades in the gossip rags, and he was also aware that  was on his way to meet up with his fiance. Clearly Chanyeol was just toying with him.
 
Also, as far as everyone aboard the ship knew, he himself was still engaged to Wu Yifan, and he did not want to make any trouble for his ex-fiance's company out of respect for what they had, had in the past. The thing that bothered Baekhyun the most was the fact that despite his best efforts he couldn't control the butterflies in his stomach. Park Chanyeol was after all, the man of his innermost fantasies. He needed to get out of there and clear his head. Standing up, he apologized, feigning a headache, bowed and excused himself, making his way to the deck to get some fresh air.
~~~~~
Chanyeol P.O.V.
 
Before dinner, Chanyeol had given up on his to the dining room. He hesitated going himself, knowing that he'd either get lost, or swarmed with fans. Not sure quite what to do, he was looking up and down the passageway when he bumped into someone. Turning around he saw it was the diva from earlier. Swallowing his pride he asked if the other knew how to get to the dining room. To his surprise, the pretty boy offered to take him there, although making it clear that it was an inconvenience. 
~~~~~
 
Throughout the dinner Chanyeol found himself drawn towards the other boy, 'Baekhyun.' He was mesmerized at how beautiful the boy was, and his laugh was music to his ears. He'd never heard anyone so genuine before. Baekhyun didn't seem intimidated one bit by the V.I.P.s that were seated among them. In fact, he had them in the palm of his hand as he told story after story entertaining everyone.
 
Shifting in his chair and his thigh came in contact with Baekhyun's. Immediately a bolt of electricity shot through him. 'What the heck?' he thought. 'Why am I acting like this with
a virtual stanger?' There was just something about Baekhyun that intrigued him. Granted, he was beautiful, his porcelain skin, the eyeliner acentuating his eyes, his long slender fingers. Chanyeol had to touch them. Before he could control himself, he grabbed the bread basket and passed it to Baekhyun, successfully brushing the other's fingers with his. It was then that Baekhyun turned to look at him. His eyes showing a cross between irritation and curiosity, and if he dared to hope, just the hint of a spark. Baekhyun excused himself and left the table. Soon after, Chanyeol made his apologies, tossed his napkin on the table,and ran after Baekhyun. 
 
Chanyeol had no clue as to the layout of the ship, and no matter where he went, he had no idea where he was. Finally, he opened a door and found himself out on the deck. The cool ocean breeze felt good. Leaning against the railing, he closed his eyes, threw his head back and inhaled the salty air. He stood there for a moment enjoying the feel of the wind blowing through his hair. Thoughts of the diva were running though his mind when they were interrupted by the diva himself.
 
"You couldn't find any other place on this ship to be?" Baekhyun said sarcastically looking over at him.
 
Chanyeol opened his eyes and looked to see Baekhyun leaning on the railing a few feet away from him. "I was looking for you." he replied.
 
Baekhyun cocked his head to the side giving Chanyeol the once over. "Uh huh." he said. "Well, you found me, you can go now." he said turning his attention back to the ocean.
 
"What's your problem?" Chanyeol said, a hint of anger in his voice.
 
"My problem? How about being pawed all during dinner? What's the deal? Did you get tired of groupies fawning all over you? You decide I'd be a nice challenge? Baekhyun said snarkily.
 
"Excuse me?" Chanyeol asked. "You thought that I was coming on to you?"
 
Baekhyun  rolled his eyes. "I think we both know the answer to that Park." he said matter-of-factly.
 
Chanyeol smiled, his lips closed. Shaking his head, he looked away from Baekhyun for a minute and then turned to face him again. "Listen, for your information I was NOT hitting on you, and if I were, which I wasn't, you'd be in my arms right now begging me to have my way with you."
 
Baekhyun burst out laughing so hard that tears began to fall down his cheeks. He gripped his stomach and doubled over, losing his balance at one point making Chanyeol think that he was going to fall overboard. Baekhyun's face turned beet red and he gasped for breath. "Omo! That's the funniest thing I've heard!" he said between breaths. Just when he started to settle down, he looked up to see an angry Chanyeol staring at him and he began laughing all over again.
 
Before he knew what he was doing Chanyeol took the two steps that separated him from the diva, grabbed his face in his hands, and kissed him. Neither one noticed the flash of the camera.
 
Baekhyun's eyes flew open and he gasped. Chanyeol took advantage of this by tangling their tongues together.
 
Nothing had ever felt so amazing. Baekhyun involuntarily closed his eyes and his arms looped around Chanyeol's neck holding him closer. Chanyeol lowered his hands, sliding them down Baekhyun's chest until they settled around his waist tugging him a little closer, so that their hips were touching. Chanyeol gave a little with his hips causing Baekhyun to moan.
 
As soon as it had started, Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol off of him. They stood looking at each other, their chests heaving as they regained their breath, their lips swollen, their cheeks red. Suddenly Baekhyun slapped Chanyeol across the cheek and ran back to his suite. Chanyeol held his hand over his cheek and watched as Baekhyun ran away. Once he was out of sight, Chanyeol returned to his original spot leaning over the railing wondering what the hell just happened.
 
Neither boy got much sleep that night.