Chapter 12

An Affair To Remember (ChanBaek version, some KaiSoo)

 Baekhyun woke up early, eager to go to the gallery. Quickly eating some toast and tea, he headed downtown. Once inside the gallery, he walked straight to the receipt book. Looking over the figures he smiled. It looked as though the night was successful. Baekhyun walked around the gallery looking at the remaining paintings. Some had sold stickers on them, while some were no longer there, leaving  empty spots on the wall. Baekhyun came to a stop when he got to the spot where Yeol’s painting was. That wasn’t the official title, but he had always referred to it as Yeol’s. His heart lurched.

 

It was probably a good thing to let the painting go. It hurt to look at it these days. The fact that it could now bring someone else joy, made him smile. Just then Kyungsoo walked in and interrupted his musings.

 

“You’re here early!” Kyungsoo said. “I just dropped by on my way to pick up a library book that Kai accidentally left here. (Baekhyun chuckled, clearly Kai had left that book on purpose to avoid reading it.) Thank you again for helping the library, it was a great showing by the way, you should have stayed!”

 

Baekhyun smiled. “No, Thank you for hosting, I’m grateful.”  His smile dropped as his gaze returned to the empty space on the wall.

 

“Something wrong?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“I wanted to look at my painting one more time….I guess I’m too late.” Baekhyun said, disappointment in his voice.

 

“Oh, yeah.” Kyungsoo began. “I offered to have it delivered since the guy was in a wheelchair an all, but he insisted that he wanted to take the painting home right away. It was quite a struggle to fit it in the car with his wheelchair and his guitar, but his friend helped.”

 

“Well…at least it’ll be appreciated.” Baekhyun sighed. “Thanks again, I’ll take you and Kai out to eat soon to pay you back.”

 

“You don’t have to do that, we were happy to help!” Kyungsoo said patting him on the shoulders. “Why don’t you let me close up and you go enjoy the day. I’m sure the rest of the deliveries can wait.”

 

Baekhyun smiled. “You’re right, thanks Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled.

 

“Jongin’s a lucky guy.” Baekhyun said.

 

Kyungsoo blushed then. “No….I’m the lucky one. Now, get going, I'll see you later!”

 

Baekhyun decided to take Kyungsoo’s advice and take the day off. Leaving the gallery,  he began walking with no particular place in mind, just enjoying the day.

 

Baekhyun returned to his apartment sometime after lunch. He tossed his keys on the table by the door next to the package. The package that had sat there for far too long. The package with a letter addressed to Chanyeol from his grandmother. Since he’d let go of the painting, perhaps it was time to let go of other things as well. Not thinking twice, he put his shoes back on, grabbed his keys, the letter, and the package and headed for the lobby.

~~~~~

Using some of his old connections from when he and Kris were together, Baekhyun was able to obtain Chanyeol’s apartment number. He hailed a taxi quickly before he changed his mind.

~~~~~

Suho had stopped by to check on Chanyeol and to see the painting he’d told him about. Chanyeol had just sat on the couch surrounded by music sheets when Suho came out of the bedroom. “It’s beautiful.” he said. “You said that’s Baekhyun's grandmother?”

 

Chanyeol smiled, thinking of the older woman. “Yeah, we kept in touch for a while, but then my letters started coming back. I think it was just too awkward what with Baekhyun and all.”

 

Suho straightened his tie in the hallway mirror. “Well, I’ve got to get to work, they're shooting two scenes back to back today. Do you have everything you need? Do you want your wheelchair brought out here?”

 

“No, my manager is coming by later to take me to the studio, if you could just leave the door unlocked?” he answered.

 

“Sure thing!” he said ruffling Chanyeol's hair as he walked by the couch.

 

“Yah! I just fixed that!” he barked at his friend.

 

As Suho opened the door to leave he turned over her shoulder and yelled; “Love you Channie!” Turning around to leave he found himself face to face with the most beautiful man he’d ever seen in his life. He froze for a moment before bowing to him and apologizing. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t see you there. May I help you?” he asked.

 

“No, no, I’m sorry.” Baekhyun apologized. “I’m not sure I’m in the right place, I’m looking for Park Chanyeol?” he asked.

 

Suho noticed the package in his hands.  “Ahhh, he’s in the living room, go on in.”

 

Baekhyun bowed again, “Thank you…..?” he looked at the slightly familiar man questioningly.

 

“Suho.” The other supplied.

 

Baekhyun's legs became weak and his heart sank to his stomach. ‘Damn, even after all this time I still feel jealous.' He thought. ‘Get it together Baek!’

 

 Suho  turned and yelled over his shoulder again, “Channie! You have a delivery!” He bowed once again, leaving Baekhyun standing there in the open doorway.

 

 “I’m in here!” came the familiar voice. “Come on in!”

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath and walked into the living room. Chanyeol was on the couch looking as gorgeous as he’d remembered him. Seeing him sitting so peacefully on the couch with his music made his heart ache. It should have been them together in this apartment. Baekhyun felt his stomach lurch, and he was having trouble breathing. However, he put on a brave front, took a deep breath and approached.

 

Chanyeol looked up from his writing to see Baekhyun standing in his living room. His mouth dropped open, how could fate be so cruel? To have the man he loved standing two feet in front of him after all the heartache and pain he’d endured. To have him standing there knowing that they could never be together.

 

“It’s been a long time.” Baekhyun said breaking the silence.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “Yes. I suppose it has.”

 

“You look well.” Baekhyun continued, using all his strength to remain calm.

 

“Y-you too. Are you…" Chanyeol paused. "How are you?”

 

“I’m doing well.” Baekhyun said, not looking Chanyeol in the eyes, but rather at the huge wall of windows behind him.  “I own a gallery now.”

 

“That’s great!" Chanyeol said excitedly, and then changed his tone quickly. “I mean….I know you liked to paint.” He said, now with no emotion in his voice.

 

“Kai actually commissioned some of my artwork for the ship.” Baekhyun said trying to make small talk, feeling awkward.

 

“You still see Kai? How’s he doing?” Chanyeol inquired.

 

“He’s good.” Baekhyun said perching on the edge of one of the chairs opposite the couch. “He’s a Junior Captain now, he still dances. I go out with him and his boyfriend sometimes.”

 

“Oh.” Chanyeol said hanging his head.

 

There was a long silence between them.

 

“What about you? Baekhyun asked. “I read that you left the country. They made it sound like you were having a good time.”

 

Chanyeol raised his head to look at Baekhyun. “Still believing everything you read?” he made a lame attempt at an old joke between them, then got serious. “I did leave.” He paused. “For a while. I had some things I needed to take care of.”

 

“Oh….” Baekhyun simply said, not having anything else to say. It was really none of his business.

 

Baekhyun began to  feel nervous.. “I see your style of music has changed. Too old for those dances?” he teased.

 

Chanyeol smiled slightly. “Something like that.”

 

“Your songs are different too….sadder.” Baekhyun continued.

 

“You listen to my songs?” Chanyeol asked curiously.

 

“No….no…..just….sometimes….they’re on the radio, you know?” Baekhyun said looking around the room. It didn’t have much furniture for the size of the place, it seemed too sterile, no artwork, no decorations, just the couch, television and chairs.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “I saw that Kris married his assistant. Are you okay?” he asked.

 

Baekhyun nodded. “Yeah…..yeah I am. He actually stopped by the gallery to apologize, who’d have thought?”

 

They both laughed, until they made eye contact, and then they looked away.

 

“Speaking of apologies,” Baekhyun said clearing his throat as he stood up to walk around the room, “I owe you one.”

 

“You do?” Chanyeol asked looking confused.

 

“Well, yeah, I had an appointment with you some time back, and I wasn’t able to keep it.” Baekhyun said.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes got big, his mind raced wondering why Baekhyun didn’t keep his promise. Had he misread their relationship from the beginning?  “Oh?” Chanyeol said, his voice quivering a bit as he tried to control his emotions.

 

“Yeah,” Baekhyun continued, “you must have been very angry with me.”

 

“No….I wasn’t......angry.” Chanyeol said, his mind returning to that night.

 

“You weren’t?” Baekhyun questioned, perching himself on the back of the couch looking Chanyeol straight in the eyes. “Surely you must have been furious.”

 

“Oh, well….yes. Yes, I was.” Chanyeol  said not wanting to admit that he was the one who failed to keep their promise.

 

“What were you thinking?” Baekhyun asked keeping eye contact with Chanyeol.

 

“Well…” Chanyeol began, “I was thinking, who does he think he is standing up an idol like me!”

 

“I hope you didn’t wait a long time for me.” Baekhyun said.

 

“Oh….well, let’s see….” Chanyeol continued with the charade. “I waited until…..”

 

“Midnight?” Baekhyun supplied.

 

Chanyeol’s face went pale, as the realization began to hit him. “Midnight?” he asked, and then “Yes….yes, it was midnight now that I think about it.”

 

“And then what did you do?” Baekhyun pressed. 

 

“Well, by then I was pretty angry, you can imagine….just waiting up there….” Chanyeol said stealing a glance at Baekhyun.

 

“In a thunderstorm too.” Baekhyun added.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes got even wider, he swallowed. “Yes.” He said quietly.

 

“So, what did you say to yourself?” Baekhyun prompted.

 

Chanyeol paused a moment. “I told myself, Chanyeol….Chanyeol, I said, you need to go home and have a drink.”

 

“You didn’t do that.” Baekhyun said.

 

“I didn’t?” Chanyeol repeated trying but failing to read the expression in Baekhyun's eyes.

 

“Well, maybe a couple of drinks, every few hours…..for about a month.” Baekhyun said.

 

Chanyeol looked down at his hands resting in his lap. “Well,” he said softly, “could you blame me?”

 

“No, not at all, but the least I could have done would be to have sent you a note.” Baekhyun said as his gaze ce again to the window.

 

“Maybe when you thought about it, you didn’t know where to reach me.” Chanyeol said.

 

“I should have tried harder.” Baekhyun said. “It was cruel of me to leave you all alone up there, waiting….for nothing.”

 

A tear began to fall down Chanyeol’s cheek. “It’s probably for the best.” He said, trying to keep his voice from quivering. “We should just forget the past and move on. With no questions.” He added.

 

“Hmmm....I suppose.” Baekhyun siad, and then,  "Oh! I almost forgot why I came in the first place.” Baekhyun walked over to the hall table and grabbed the package with the letter. “I actually came by to deliver these. I should have done it sooner, I’m sorry.”

 

Chanyeol took the package from him, carefully opening the brown paper. His mouth dropped open when he saw the black scarf with the two red hearts embroidered on the ends. He looked up at Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun nodded. “She passed away a while ago.”

 

Chanyeol rubbed the scarf on his cheek. “That’s why my letters came back.” He said.

 

Baekhyun handed him the letter.

 

“What’s this?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Baekhyun just rolled his eyes. “I believe it’s a letter, Yeol.”

 

They both froze at the use of his nickname.

 

“Sorry.” Baekhyun said.

 

Chanyeol nodded. “It’s okay. I kinda miss it.” Opening the letter he began to read.

 

“Dear Chanyeol, I’m afraid I don’t have much time in this world, and I wanted you to have this scarf. I could see how you appreciated it, and I know you will take good care of it, just like I know you will take good care of my Byunnie. Remember your promise not to give up on him, I know he loves you very much. ~Grandma”

 

Chanyeol could no longer keep his tears from falling. He held the scarf and the letter close to his chest and cried like a baby.

 

Baekhyun’s heart broke all over again seeing Chanyeol that way. He wanted nothing more than to take him into his arms until he stopped crying.

 

Chanyeol managed to pull himself together enough to thank him for bringing the letter and the scarf to him.

"You're welcome." Baekhyun stood up. “She wanted you to have that, you know.”

 

Chanyeol smiled. It was a sad smile, but it still managed to warm Baekhyun’s heart. “Thank you.” He said again.

 

Baekhyun headed for the door and turned half way. “I painted a picture of you and grandmother. You were both on the deck. Remember?”

 

Chanyeol looked at him with teary eyes. “I do.” He said softly.

 

“I never thought I’d part with that painting, but the guy in charge that night talked me into giving it away to some guy who fell in love with it.”

 

“Oh? You didn’t care about the money?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“No. No, I never cared about the money.” Baekhyun said as he walked back towards Chanyeol. He ran his fingers along Chanyeol’s jaw line.

 

Chanyeol instinctively leaned into his hand, closing his eyes, before realizing what he was doing and sitting upright.

 

“Anyway,” Baekhyun said, drawing his hand away, “Kyungsoo said that the man who bought it seemed to love it so much, and besides he was…..he….” Baekhyun paused. Realization dawning on him. He began to look around the room again.

 

“Yes?” Chanyeol asked getting nervous.

 

“He said that he was….” Baekhyun practically ran to the bedroom and flung open the door where saw the painting, his painting above the bed. Next to the bed, he saw a wheelchair. Tears silently ran down his cheeks. Running to Chanyeol, he knelt down in front of him taking both of his hands in his. “Yeol….” Baekhyun choked out. “Why didn’t you tell me?” Baekhyun looked up into Chanyeol’s big brown eyes. Chanyeol was crying too. “I thought….oh God!” Baekhyun cried out, “I thought….I thought that I didn’t mean anything to you! I thought you’d decided to marry Suho!”

 

“Why would I do that when I loved you?” Chanyeol asked, “I told you, he’s just a friend.”

 

“But the papers….and the photos….” Baekhyun stammered.

 

“Lies.” Chanyeol said. “How many times do I have to tell you that you can’t believe everything that you read?”

 

Baekhyun sat on the couch next to Chanyeol, leaning his head on the taller one's shoulder,  lacing their fingers together. It felt good. “What happened?” he asked.

 

“It’s all my fault.” Chanyeol said taking a deep breath. “I was on my way there, and traffic was taking forever, I figured that I could get there faster if I ran, so I got out of the cab and took off running. I didn’t even see the car that hit me.”

 

“Why didn’t you call me from the hospital?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“First, I was in a coma, Second, we deleted each other remember? And Third, by the time I had surgery in the States, I had lost all hope.”

 

“God….” Baekhyun said. “We’re both idiots! I thought you decided that you didn’t love me.  Chanyeol, I’m so sorry, I ruined everything. Can you ever forgive me?”

 

Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun against his chest. “It wasn’t your fault I didn’t see the car. I was looking up.”

 

Baekhyun crumbled then, his body was overtaken with sobs. He held onto Chanyeol as if his life depended on it. He could feel the love envelop his heart, sealing the broken pieces and making him whole again. “I’m never letting you out of my sight again! I love you Park Chanyeol.”

 

Chanyeol  let out the tears he’d been holding back for months. “I love you too Baek, sooo much!”