Chapter 11

An Affair To Remember (ChanBaek version, some KaiSoo)

"What are you doing here?" Baekhyun asked, crossing his arms over his chest defensively.

 
"I see you are painting now. I don't remember you being so into Art."
 
Baekhyun just continued to stare at Kris. "You wouldn't have. I didn't talk about it."
 
Kris glanced at the few pieces that were hung in the entryway. "You're good." he said.
 
Baekhyun sighed. "Look. I'm sure you're not here to compliment me on my paintings."
 
Kris didn't say anything for a moment, and then he looked Baekhyun in the eyes. "I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry."
 
"Sorry? You're sorry." Baekhyun said, coolly. "Un-ing believable. You're sorry. What the hell is that Kris? You're sorry? Why are you really here?"
 
 
Kris looked down at the floor and cleared his throat. "I'm uh, getting married." he said.
 
"And you felt the need to tell me this....why?"
 
"I just sort of thought that you deserved to hear it in person. You know?"
 
"Well then, mission accomplished. Congratulations."  Baekhyun said with no emotion showing in his voice at all.
 
Kris continued to stare at him.
 
"Is that all?" Baekhyun asked.
 
"Is it true you're...dating Park Chanyeol?" Kris asked.
 
The sudden mention of Chanyeol made Baekhyun's heart seize and his breathing hitch. Taking a deep breath and making direct eye-contact with Kris, he replied; "What business is it of yours who I date?"
 
"Well, I just heard that he sleeps with.....well he's sort of a.....a..." The glare Baekhyun shot him made him shut his mouth. "I just want you to be happy." Kris finished.
 
 Baekhyun scoffed. "Now?! Now you're concerned about my happiness?!"
 
"Baek, I still love you. I'm just....not in love you. I'm not sure what happened to us."
 
"Besides you cheating on me?" Baekhyun asked snarkily.
 
"Yeah," Kris said softly, "besides that."
 
 
"Look, Kris," Baekhyun finally answered, rubbing his temples with his hands, "it's not entirely your fault. I was so eager for you to like me that I changed who I was. I wasn't being honest with myself, and I wasn't being honest with you either. In fact, it's been pointed out to me, that I never let you get to know the real me. So go ahead and get married without any qualms, I can truthfully say, that I no longer harbor any ill feelings towards you."
 
Kris smiled. "Thank you, Baek. "I know I have no right to ask for your forgiveness." Kris continued as Baekhyun snorted. "But I've done some soul searching lately, and I know that I didn't appreciate what I had with you, and I'm sorry. I was a real bastard."
 
Baekhyun just looked at him as if an alien had just landed in front of him.
 
"Can.... can we be friends?" Kris asked.
 
 
Baekhyun thought for a moment. "No." he said. "No, I don't think we can be friends. There's just too much between us."
 
Kris hung his head.
 
"But...." Baekhyun continued. "If we were to run into each other at some point in the future, I think it would be okay to say hello. Look, I don't know just what happened to make you re-evaluate things, but I think it's best if we don't see each other anymore. I really hope that you can be happy now. Sincerely."
 
Kris smiled gratefully. "I understand. I hope you are happy. You deserve it. I did truly love you once Baek, a small part of me always will. I want you to know that. I'm sorry it couldn't work out with us. I'm still not sure why it didn't work out." he said. Kris took a step closer and ran his fingers down Baekhyun's cheek pulling his hand away just as quickly. "Damn," he said under his breath, "I'd forgotten how beautiful you are." And just like that Kris left the gallery, not giving Baekhyun a chance to react. In fact, he was still standing there stunned when Kai walked in.
 
"Did I just see Kris leave here?" he asked. "What did he want?"
 
"Closure.... I think." Baekhyun said thoughtfully touching his cheek. "He said he came to tell me that he's getting married and that he wanted to apologize."
 
"What?!" Kai exclaimed. "I hope you told him that he can take his apology and shove it up...."
 
"Kim Jongin! Watch your language!" Baekhyun scolded. "He asked if it was true that I was dating Chanyeol."
 
"What?!" Kai asked in disbelief. "What did you say? How did he even find out that you.....?"
 
Baekhyun cut him off. "I told him it was none of his business, and wished him every happiness."
 
Kai just looked shocked.
 
"Look, it was just as much my fault as his." Baekhyun said. "Granted, it was no reason to cheat on me, but the past is the past, right? I have to move forward." He took a breath. "So....about the show tonight," Baekhyun said looking at his friend, "I'm not going to stay long, it's just too....I don't know....I'll be there for the introduction and to say my hello's, but I think I'm going to just disappear after that. I'm kind of tired after all this prep-work. I just want to crawl into bed and read that book that Kyungsoo's been nagging me about."
 
Kai rolled his eyes. "Oh my God! Is he trying to make you read that book too!? He won't shut up about it! I keep telling him that I'm too busy to read, but he's driving me nuts!" Kai laughed. "When I left on the last cruise, I found that he had hidden it in my suitcase!" he laughed. "Hey!" Kai suddenly yelled making Baekhyun jump.
 
"Yah! Stop that!" Baekhyun complained, "You scared me half to death!"
 
"I've got a great idea! YOU go home and read that stupid book, and then tell me all about it!" Kai smiled triumphantly.
 
"Kim Jongin!" Baekhyun said smacking him on the shoulder, " I am NOT helping you lie to your boyfriend!"
 
"Fine." Kai said pouting.
 
"And don't try that face with me young man!" Baekhyun said handing Kai a receipt book and a pen. "Now, follow me, and I'll walk you through the paintings. I'll give you a number, a brief description, and a price, that way if anyone asks, you can just tear out the information slip and they can take it to Kyungsoo to cash out." Baekhyun paused. "If I sell any." he added.
 
Kai could tell his friend was nervous. "It'll be great Baekhyun-hyung!"
 
Baekhyun ruffled his hair. "I hope so, Kai, I really hope so."
~~~~~
 
After what seemed like a lifetime in the making, Baekhyun finally had his own Art show. To say that he was nervous was an understatement. He had changed clothes at least five times, and still had no idea what to wear. Eventually, he decided on black skinny jeans, an over-sized white top that hung off of his shoulder on top of a pink tank top, a large black hat, round glasses, and black doc martens. 
 
Baekhyun let himself into the gallery thorugh the back door and went into his office.
 
His phone buzzed, it was a text from Kyungsoo. "Are you here yet? It's almost time."
 
Baekhyun texted that he was, and that he'd be right out. As he opened the door he was greeted by the sight of Kyungsoo and Kai locking lips and softly . He rolled his eyes. "Really? Are you two serious right now? The biggest night of my life and you two are face in front of my office?"
 
The two men pulled apart from each other, blushing.
 
"Hyung, don't be a hater." Kai smarted off, earning himself a swat from Kyungsoo, who actually had the decency to be embarrassed.
 
"Thanks again for what you're doing, Baekhyun, the library needs all the funding it can get." the Kyungsoo said as he tucked his shirt back in.
 
"No problem. Any boyfriend of Kai's is a boyfriend of mine." They all looked at each other for about two seconds before they started laughing.
 
Tears were coming from Baekhyun's face as he realized what he'd said. "You know what I meant!" he said between guffaws.
 
"Sorry Baek, but you're not my type." Kyungsoo said, putting his arm around Kai's waist and pulling him closer.
 
Kai kissed Kyungsoo on the cheek and then turned to Baekhyun. "Am I going to have to start checking in more often when I'm at sea to make sure you're not stealing my man?"
 
Once again they all began laughing. Finally settling down, they made their way to the main floor, where Kyungsoo stepped up to the podium, and tapped the microphone a few times to make sure it was on.
 
"Ladies and Gentlemen," he began, "thank you for coming to Virtuosity this evening!" (There was a soft round of applause.) As you know, half of the profits raised this evening will go to the Seoul Library, to help buy books for their mobile library which travels to low income areas providing each child an opportunity to read." (There was another round of applause.) I am proud to announce that all of the paintings featured in tonight's show are the work of the owner of Virtuosity himself.....Byun Baekhyun!" Kyungsoo held out his arm, inviting Baekhyun to the podium.
 
Baekhyun bowed to everyone. "I'd like to thank you all for coming to this event tonight. The artwork that you will see tonight has taken quite some time to put together, and I hope that I can bring you a bit of happiness by sharing a bit of myself with you all tonight. Thank you again." Baekhyun bowed once more, then stepped aside for Kyungsoo to once again take the podium.
 
"Just a reminder, you can purchase certain pieces tonight if you so desire, if you'd like to make a donation to either the gallery, or the library, please see me at your convenience. Also, help yourselves to the refreshments. Thank you, and have a good evening." Kyungsoo finished.
 
Baekhyun stood by Kyungsoo for a bit as people came to introduce themselves, asking him questions. Little by little people began to explore the gallery and talk among themselves. Looking around at the people as they in turn, looked at his artwork made him extremely anxious. Kai was walking along with people, explaining the paintings, answering questions. Kyungsoo stayed up front, being the epitome of a good host, and cashier. Although Baekhyun too, was a natural in this type of environment, it was different when it was his own artwork on display. He felt exposed. He took the first opportunity he had to slip out the back and go home.
~~~~~
 
"Stop the car!" Chanyeol yelled at his driver. As the car came to a stop he stared out of the window. The street was dark, all except for one little shop, a gallery. He could see a few people inside, but what caught his eye were the paintings. The way the lights were shining on them, he could clearly see them from the street. He would know that artwork anywhere. Those were some of the paintings that Baekhyun had showed him from his grandmother's attic. Squinting his eyes, he couldn't see the man from where he was. "I want to go inside." he said, before he could even think about it.
 
His driver opened the back and pulled out his wheelchair, bringing it around to the car door. Chanyeol shuffled into the chair and allowed his driver to put a lap blanket on him. Still not wanting to chance being recognized, he had on his usual hat, mask, and sunglasses even though it was almost 9:00 p.m. His driver rolled him into the gallery. "Are you still open?" Chanyeol asked nervously.
 
"We're getting ready to close, but feel free to look around, I'm going to be a while with the paperwork. My assistant's gone, so if you have any questions about the pieces, just ask, my name is Kyungsoo." The younger smiled, and bowed.
 
Chanyeol nodded his head in return. "Thank you." he said, then turning to his driver he asked to be alone. The driver bowed and returned to the car. Chanyeol wheeled himself around looking at each painting. His heart clenched when he saw several 'sold' stickers on the paintings that he'd remembered from Baekhyun's grandmother's attic. 'How could he sell those?' he asked himself. Those paintings revealed so much of who Baekhyun was at the time, it felt to Chanyeol, that he was selling pieces of himself.
 
This had been a bad idea. He should have kept driving, no matter how strong the pull was to come into this shop. As Chanyeol moved along looking at Baekhyun's newer works, he became anxious as he recognized the islands, and the ocean views that they had shared. Everything Chanyeol had tried to put in the past came rushing back. He had a lump in his throat, and his heart began to ache again. Chanyeol couldn't stand it anymore, even though time had gone by, the wounds were still too fresh. He still loved Baekhyun, and being so close yet so far was just too much for him to bear. Spinning his wheelchair around, he made his way towards the door only to be stopped by a particular painting.
 
"Thank you for coming, please feel free to come back anytime!" Kyungoo said cheerfully.
 
When the man in the wheelchair didn't respond, Kyungsoo looked up. He saw the man admiring the painting.
 
"That one's been very popular tonight." Kyungsoo said as he stepped around the podium. It's the artist's favorite."
 
"How much?" Chanyeol asked, his voice barely above a whisper.
 
"Hmmmm, I don't think that one's for sale, let me check." Kyungsoo said.
 
"Please....I'll pay any price." Chanyeol pleaded. 
 
Kyungsoo called Baekhyun's cell phone.
 
"Yoboseyo?" Baekhyun mumbled into the phone. (Clearly the call woke him up.)
 
"Mianae, I had a question about a painting,and Kai has already left, and Lord knows where he put the book you gave him with all the information....." he rambled on.
 
"It's fine, really, what is it?" Baekhyun asked.
 
"The painting of your grandmother and someone looking over a railing? I know you said it wasn't for sale, but the buyer said that price was no object, and he seems really, really taken with the piece. He hasn't stopped staring at it since he laid eyes on it."
 
Baekhyun sighed. It's true the painting wasn't for sale, but honestly, the painting brought him more heartache than joy lately. Who was he to stop someone else from taking pleasure from it, besides, it was time that he started to let go of the past and move forward. After a long silence Baekhyun spoke; "Just give it to him, say it's a gift from me, and that I hope he finds joy in looking at it." Click. Baekhyun hung up.
 
Kyungsoo had a big smile on his face when he hung up the phone.
 
"Is he willing to sell it?" Chanyeol asked hopefully.
 
"No." Said Kyungsoo.
 
Chanyeol's face fell.
 
"He said to make it his gift to you, and that he hopes it will bring you much joy." Kyungsoo said.
 
Chanyeol wiped away the tears that began to fall down his cheek. "Thank you. Tell him thank you. I...I don't know what to say."