Seulgi’s Promise

The only promise that Irene can keep.

I, Irene Bae Joohyun is in love with my childhood friend, Kang Seulgi. I don’t know when, I just do, and one day I realize, she’s only there and waiting for me.

My relationship with my own family is terrible. It , to the point I want to live in Seulgi’s house as I feel more welcome than my own home. Bae Suzy, my younger sister, don’t even care about me and only care about the power she will have in the future. Call it a rivalry but it’s true, Suzy and I are fighting for the CEO spot in my father’s company. I don’t care about it, but my father wants me to run it as he fined me more suitable than Suzy.

“Why are you crying?” A 12 years old Seulgi asks as she jumps over the fence in my house backyard.

“What are you doing?” I ask. Seulgi goes to me and seat next to me in the grass.

“Hm. I buy some candies then I saw you, and I want to share it with you. I know your guard won’t let me enter, so I jump over the fence,” Seulgi said.

“What are you? A kid? Why candies?” I ask.

“What’s wrong with my candies? If you don’t want, then don’t eat it. I will eat it alone,” Seulgi said. I suddenly smile at my young friend. I suddenly forget I just cried.

“So why are you sad?” Seulgi asks.

“Nothing,” I said. I saw Seulgi just pouting because I won’t tell her the reason.

“Well, if you ever need someone to talk to, you can call me anytime,” Seulgi said then pointed at herself. I just laugh at her.

“You? You’re always sleeping,” I said. I just laugh more when I saw her face frown.

“I’ll be awake!” Seulgi said.

“Are you sure?” I ask in a teasing way.

“I’m very sure,” Seulgi said with a smile. Seulgi’s smile is so innocent, bright and the smile you just want to protect.

 

“I’ll go to you.”

 

I’m in my backyard when I saw Seulgi outside, looking side to side, back and forth then jump over the fence again. I laugh when she trips when walking toward me.

“You childish,” I said as I take the dirt off her face.

“Well, you look lonely. I want to accompany you,” Seulgi said. I notice about Seulgi, as we grow up, she’s sincere, and that makes me admire her. If I can be like her too, everything will be easy for me.

We talk and talk as I forget about my lesson, so my father goes to us.

“Who let you go inside?” My father asks. He stares at Seulgi.

“F-father,” I said. “I let her in,” I need to save Seulgi, or else I might not see her.

“You have a lesson, you go there now and you Seulgi, go home.” My father said. I just look down and nod, and I look at Seulgi. I’m afraid that Seulgi won’t talk to me again. My father left, and then Seulgi holds my hand.

“If you ever feel lonely, you can call me. I’ll be awake all the time,” Seulgi said then smile at me. When I thought that Seulgi would be awkward, she becomes braver.

“I’ll go to you,” I said.

 

I run away from home because it’s too strict. I feel so suffocated. I can’t breathe because of the tension around my house. I’m tired of living that way, I’m just a child, and I’m susceptible. I want to have fun with others, like Seulgi. As I walk in a dark alley, I heard boys laughing behind, and I start feeling nervous.

“She’s pretty,”

“Yes, let’s get her now!”

As I heard it, I run away from them. The two boys laugh louder because of my actions. My eyes start getting teary because of fearfulness. When I thought the two boys about to catch me, I heard a booming hit. I look back and saw Seulgi punches the boy who's about to hold my hand.

“Who are you?”

Seulgi dodges a punch from the boys and kicks them in their balls, hard. I feel the pain of the two boys as they lay on the ground while touching their balls. Seulgi then takes my hand and run away. I look at Seulgi’s back, it’s small as mine, and it’s must be fragile as mine. The difference between Seulgi and me, Seulgi is brave and strong despite being fragile.

“Didn’t I said to you to call me??!” Seulgi shout at me. She hasn't let go of my hand, and we are in the middle of the city now.

“W-what?” I'm shocked, how can she find me?

“I’m deadly worried, and your father calls me then I learned that you run away. You should call me then I will lie to your father that you’re not with me! Why you need to run away when I’m just here, waiting for your call!!??” Seulgi shout at me. Some people are looking at us. “I’m just here, and I’m only here. I’m just waiting for you to come to me,” Seulgi said.

“I’m so sorry,” I said then I hug Seulgi while crying. Seulgi goes to me and hugs me. “I feel so lonely, I’m sad, and I want to be happy!” I said while crying at Seulgi. My heart is crashing every time I remember the fight between Suzy and me.

 

“I like you a lot, Seulgi. Can you trust my heart?” I ask. I saw her face getting confused, but I just smiled, maybe she hated it when I act sweet to her then I’m out with my dates.

“What do you think of dating me?” I ask.

 

“I promise to you, and I’ll protect and

I’ll make you happy,”

 

You always do, Seulgi. You still make me happy.

------------------------------

What do you think Seulgi will respond?