one.

Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

prologue
 

“The word angel comes from the Greek word angelos, meaning "messenger." In Western religions, the word specifically describes a kind, or benevolent, being. However, in most other religions, the line separating "good" angels from "bad" angels is not always clear. An angel may act benevolently in one situation but with evil intent in another.”
 

They say the world was made in seven days and that God is good and the devil is evil. What they fail to mention was the war raging between their armies. Fallen angels have risen from the depths of hell and have corrupted humans for thousands of years. The cherub angels from above have tried to prevent this, even sending down their strongest and the best of the best, but they’ve only been able to save a certain amount of humans. The fallen, along with demons, have even possessed the humans, and some have been chased back to their burning homeland while the rest have succeded in corruption.
 

“Fallen angels were angels who had once been close to God but "fell" to a lower position. They tried to interfere with the relationship between human beings and God by encouraging individuals to sin. Fallen angels were also believed to cause such disasters as famine, disease, war, and earthquakes.”
 

In the house of God, we are told and taught to avoid sin, to be kind and free of greed and selfishness. We’re kept at a simplicity, in innocence, and in feigned ignorance. This is what angers the fallen, this is what motivates them, and it’s what makes us their prey.
 

“In many beliefs, the leader of the fallen angels was Lucifer. He led a rebellion against God, for which he and the other fallen angels were cast into hell.”
 

Lucifer is said to have appeared on earth, and in most cases, takes the lives of the innocent. Some say he’s still around, while others believe he’s on his fiery throne in hell, barking orders at all of his subordinates while he feeds off the souls of those who were weak enough to fall into temptation. In hell, one lives in their nightmares in an endless cycle where they don’t ever wake up. In hell, monsters and demons feast upon agony and pain of the weak. In hell, one can never escape.
 

And it is in hell, where our story begins.
 

chapter one
 

Evil is all around us. It is the shadow we cannot run from, it is our fear, our hatred, the tingle down our spines when we feel we’re being watched from afar. It lurks in each and every corner, waiting for the right moment to cloud around someone and suffocate them. But just as darkness exists, the light also exists. The difference, however, is light is visible to us. It gives a sense of safety and warmth, it brightens all it comes into contact with, and it is the first thing we see when we are born into this world. It’s a shield from all that is malicious, but sometimes it isn’t enough. Sometimes we fall weak and the evil takes that chance to manipulate us into thinking that by giving ourselves we will finally be free from our suffering. And that’s exactly what they want, an offering and acknowledgement of their existence. It depends on us, the living, to determine which we allow.
 

The stories of Lucifer are true. He does exist. He was God’s favorite, but he was too hungry for the position of ruler that he was cast away from heaven and sent straight to hell. He didn’t go alone though. Many angels have fallen and hail Lucifer as the ruler of evil and heed his every command and desire.
 

There are demons that are powerful, others that are weak. They have never walked the earth in human form, for they have never been human. They do, however, try to accomplish that. Demons are the ones, along with Lucifer himself, who are responsible for possession. They are the twisted voices and the darkest shadows that victims try to warn everyone else about. They are manipulative, insidious, and harmful to all they come in contact with.
 

It was mentioned before that there is an ongoing war between both light and dark. We, as living humans, are the chessboard while God and Lucifer move their pawns across. God only wants what’s best for us, Lucifer however, does not. He wants us to sin, to fall into temptation, and to lose our rightful passage to heaven just as he has. He enjoys the way we suffer and he continuously torments us when we are at our lowest to see if we will curse God and be cast away into eternal darkness.
 

There’s no official score that determines which side is winning and which side is losing. There are too many that rise and fall. With the massive number of demons returning to hell, however, one could say Lucifer is not at all pleased.
 

He sits upon his throne of bones and souls and growls to himself while he releases a small puff of smoke from his nostrils. His nails crack through the skulls serving as arm rests and he leans back while he stares into the eyes of one of his subordinates.
 

“My Legion,” the demon bowed its head. “Our numbers are dropping by the thousands.”
 

Lucifer scoffed, the crushed bones in his palms piercing through his thick and rugged skin while he leans back and shakes his head.
 

“Leave me be.”
 

The demon bows and disappears, leaving the devil to sit alone and think.
 

Think.
 

How is it possible, he wonders. How is it remotely possible that he’s losing so many battles when he’s been so successful before? Humans are naive and weak, there’s no way they would all of a sudden just come to realize that yes, he is real, and yes, they can retaliate if they put their faith in--
 

He shudders, he absolutely dreads the name.
 

God.
 

The more he thinks the more he loses his temper and he stands up with a loud howl, his booming voice echoing all around before he stomps down and looks into a broken mirror. He stares upon his reflection, and he lifts his hands to gently trace the horns protruding from his forehead. His image is no different than that of a man, yet his feet are stained in a tar-like substance and his eyes burn a dark shade of crimson while his broken wings hang limply behind him, the once white feathers now stained in black and red as a permanent sign of exile.
 

“It would be so simple to show up and do to them what I did to Adam and Eve,” He scoffs and runs his fingers along his jaw. “They’re so easy to manipulate, if I were there I could just…” He stands in front of the broken mirror a bit longer before he looks down at his stained toes and then smiles.
 

He’s quick to leave and descend down a flight of stairs composed of broken bodies and mourning souls, ignoring their cries for freedom, and he smiles widely before he calls upon a servant.
 

“Fetch me my robe,” He cracks his neck slowly. “I’m making a trip up.”
 

As he awaits for his subordinate to return, he smiles to himself. Yes, he thinks, he shall possess a sinner. Someone who’s lashed out at their supposed savior. It will be simple, all he has to do is show up, pretend to be helpful, and then take them. Once he’s human, all he’ll have to do next is take souls, leave their bodies as vessels, and let his demons do the rest. God and his army of angels won’t even know what hit them.
 

“My Legion,” the servant calls softly. “Your robe.”
 

Lucifer snatches it and puts it on right away. Just as he’s about to leave, he hears words that bring a smile to his face.

“Not even God can help me.”
 

Now this was going to be fun.
 

--

Earth

--
 

Sirens wail down the busy streets of Seoul as a man looks down at streets and sidewalks from the top of a building. He stands barefoot and with a loosened tie while sweat runs down his temples. He’s a businessman, and a very agitated one at that. He’s lost all hope and will to live, and he looks down at all the ambulances and police trying to convince him not to jump.
 

Trying to stop him.
 

“Mr. Xiu!” The police called out. “Mr. Xiu, we know at this point you might think your life isn’t worth living, but we can help you!”
 

The man scoffs, and he shakes his head as he takes a deep breath. He’s ready to finally be--
 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter