A Different Future

Across Time

Kyuhyun ran his fingers over the tight leather of his pants, eyes flitting around the room. Strobe lights and gyrating bodies swarmed his vision, appearing and disappearing like phantoms in the club. He shook his head, only vaguely interested in what was normally a comfortable situation. It meant getting lost in a sea of equally lost people. They made him feel like he wasn’t alone in ing up.

There were others far worse than him. He grimaced. Then again, there were also way too many people far better than him.

“What’re you thinking about?” a slurred voice mumbled in his ear, snaking fingers following. She was thin and scanty, lips bright pink to match equally bright hair.

Kyuhyun pushed her away and slid out of the booth. “I’m heading out.” He didn’t wait for an answer before he was out the door and down the street. The cool night air was refreshing after the sticky heat.

His eyes trailed sideways, pulling him to a stop when he saw a particularly beautiful person sitting inside a café. As much as he hated that person, he couldn’t deny how absolutely lovely Ryeowook was to look at. That’s it though. Just looks. There was nothing remotely good about his personality. Kyuhyun frowned – still sour from their previous encounter a couple of weeks prior.

“He’s gorgeous, isn’t he?”

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened. Head snapping around, he came face to face with himself…sort of. The man was older, taller, and more handsome. His hair was a bit shorter and dark. The sweater he wore was black to match the fitted black jeans hugging his leather-footed legs. “You…,” Kyuhyun mumbled, watching as the man turned to look at him.

“What’s up, squirt?” the Future smirked.

Well that was annoying. Young-Kyuhyun’s face dropped, eyes narrowing. “You’re a bastard. You’re as much of a bastard as him.” He jabbed a finger in the direction of the café.

“I’m guessing you two aren’t getting along then?” Older-Kyuhyun remarked.

“Good to know I’m not a complete in the future.”

The older male barely registered the jab, instead turning back to the window. Ryeowook was listening to music and working on something or other in his notebook, paying no mind to his surroundings. “He’s really kind when you get to know him. He’s probably too kind, actually.”

“If I get to know him, I’m going to break his heart. You’re living proof of that,” Young-Kyuhyun responded flatly, “besides, he’s just nice to look at. I’m not actually interested in him. He’s not my type.”

“Oh shut up,” he scoffed, “You are me and I am you – just older. I know what your type is and Ryeowook is your dream. He’s just not interested in you.”

“I’m not exactly jumping him, now am I?” Young-Kyuhyun cocked an eyebrow. “Why are you even here? I thought all of this time skipping business was done with.”

Older-Kyuhyun stiffened, suddenly realizing something. “You…You’re not freaking out. Why aren’t you freaking out?” he turned to stare at the boy.

“Uh,” he clicked his tongue, “because I met Old-Ryeowook a little ways back—”

“—what did he tell you?” Kyuhyun blurted.

“Stay away and goodbye.” He eyed his older self calmly – clearly. “So I’m gonna listen—”

“—you don’t know how big of a mistake you would be making.” Kyuhyun’s gaze was dark and somber. There was nothing uncertain about the way he was watching his younger self. “When you marry him, you’ll understand.” He pressed his lips together faintly. “When you’re sick, he makes you soup and stays beside you day and night until you’re better. Early in the morning when you’re hung-over, he makes you a remedy and leaves you a note reminding you to drink a little less next time. You ignore it though and go do it again and again. He doesn’t mind though. He acts like he doesn’t mind and that’s the most incredible part.”

He swallowed, eyes still focused on Ryeowook through the glass. “He washes and folds the laundry, chats with your brother, loves your family – somehow manages to love you too, makes you dinner even though you never eat it, kisses you when he thinks you’ve fallen asleep from exhaustion, puts a blanket around you when you’ve fallen asleep in your study, invites you on dates you never attend, and…,” Kyuhyun’s lips were curled up, looking happier than his younger self had ever seen anyone – especially himself. “…and he’s just so beautiful. He’s so, so beautiful.”

“Why did you everything up then?” Young-Kyuhyun shoved hands into his pockets. He leaned back against the brick wall beside the glass. “If you love him so much, then just go fix things in your own time.”

“I’m working on it,” he sighed, “and I do know that I’m to blame for most everything. Just…you need to go and experience it for yourself…as me.” Kyuhyun shrugged. “You’ll be missing out if you skip over this. He’s what makes your future better.”

“But I’ll be the reason his future is worse,” the younger one responded clearly, “Is that fair?” He shook his head. “I don’t know the guy and I don’t like him much either, but I’m not gonna purposefully ruin his life.”

“I don’t remember being this soft,” Kyuhyun made a face, but his eyes twinkled playfully. Chuckling, he ruffled his younger self’s hair, expression growing darker with desperation. “Sorry…but I’m not so soft.” And then he was sinking his tight fist into the surprised boy’s stomach. You will meet him. You will fall in love and change my future.

He gasped, staggering to the ground as his future self disappeared. Cursing silently, he held his aching gut, scrambling to the curbside as he puked up the drinks from earlier that night.

From behind, he faintly heard a door opening and then soft footsteps nearing him. Kyuhyun coughed, spitting. His eyes were tearing, face hot with rushing blood under his skin. A hand lightly brushed his shoulder, accompanied by a voice.

“Are you okay?” Ryeowook asked, concern dripping from his words.

Oh ing dammit. Kyuhyun briskly pulled away, stumbling before collapsing. He growled low in his throat, knowing that he probably looked like a drunk. “I’m fine…,” he croaked, breathing hard.

“No, you’re not,” Ryeowook snapped, paying little mind to the fact that it was Kyuhyun. “Here, let me help you.” He got up, hurrying back into the café to grab his things. It took less than thirty seconds for him to get back outside. He sighed in relief when he saw that Kyuhyun hadn’t shuffled off.

Then again, it wasn’t as if he could at that point. He felt so nauseated there was no chance of getting up. Kyuhyun frowned deeply, loathing that he had been fooled by himself. That must’ve been some sort of horribly, humiliating joke. Not to mention, now he was going to get stuck dealing with Ryeowook. Getting near him was like pressing a detonation button for their relationship. Kyuhyun wasn’t a normal person and he was positive that no one could fix his flaws. People weren’t that patient and the future already showed that Ryeowook was going to give up on him too. What was the point in trying for a serious relationship when everything was already preordained?

Games were fun. Games kept things lively. Games also kept people away.

“C’mon, up you go,” Ryeowook grunted, swinging Kyuhyun’s arm over his shoulder, helping to bear his weight as they headed down the street.

. I need to get away from him. He ground his teeth. “Just…get away,” he managed, swaying on his feet despite the effort and will to do the opposite.

“No, be quiet,” he stated flatly. His eyes never diverted from the road ahead. “You’re important to Sungmin. I’m not going to let you find your way home after watching you puke in a street alone.”

“You’re not my mom.” Kyuhyun looked down wanting to rationalize what was going on. He couldn’t find anything though. There was no reason for Ryeowook to be helping him. In fact, he should’ve been doing the exact opposite. The guy clearly didn’t like him when they first met and if Kyuhyun had guessed right, the reason Ryeowook knew his name was because the Older-Kyuhyun had met him prior.

If that was the case, it should’ve been clear that their fates were entwined and the best way to avoid entwining them further was to stay away.

“I’m not trying to be your mom, brat,” Ryeowook scoffed, “do you think I like picking up drunks in the street? I just don’t want to see my roommate’s face if he finds a newspaper article tomorrow saying that his freshman buddy died in the street.” He glanced down at the boy. “Besides, you’re so young. What are you doing out alone?”

“You’re not exactly old,” he snapped, coughing, “and I don’t report to you. Stop being so friendly,” Kyuhyun shoved away, but barely managed a step away before he was stumbling again and Ryeowook was grabbing him. 

The older boy sighed. “Helping you isn’t going to make us fall in love.” Ryeowook smiled a bit at the flush spreading across the younger boy’s darkened face. The night was dark, but the street lamps did nothing to hide the reddening features. “Now just be quiet and let me be a good upperclassman.”

He said nothing more and neither did Kyuhyun.

They walked silently down the road, both of them praying that simply being together wasn’t the start of something. Of course, it was impossible that it meant nothing.

A different meeting ordains a different, but connected, future.

It was the beginning of a different story