Drive

Across Time

Kyuhyun tapped his foot incessantly, hands rubbing together anxiously. He had been waiting all night, the restaurant already beginning to close. It was strange putting himself in the other’s shoes. Was this how Ryeowook had felt every time? Did he always wait this long? What had happened to them?

He scoffed at his own idiocy. He knew exactly what happened to them, but it was hard to admit. Games were always Kyuhyun’s forte. They kept life interesting. So why couldn’t they continue to keep life interesting? What made them lose their effectiveness?

“Sir, I’m sorry, but we’re closing now.”

Kyuhyun shook his head, paying for his drink and shrugging his coat on. The sting was more than he had expected. He didn’t let it show though, eyes dark and focused on a faraway point. Stuffing his gloved hands into pockets, he headed out of the restaurant.

The valet took his ticket, promising to return immediately.

Snowflakes landed on the black of his coat and hair, resting delicately. Kyuhyun breathed out, watching the white puff of smoke flare out and disperse.

“I thought I could be as horrible as you. Clearly I can’t.”

He wasn’t sure if death had clutched his heart, or if an angel had just nibbled at his ears. Turning, Kyuhyun settled his gaze on Ryeowook’s form. His ex-husband was red-cheeked and bundled up in a heavy jacket. A hat was pulled low over his face and neck. Kyuhyun had the painful urge to warm him, but there was something sticking him to the spot.

“I couldn’t decide,” Ryeowook filled the silence, shrugging, “by the time I decided to just face you, the restaurant was closing.”

“How long have you been out here?” he managed, noting the strangled quality to his voice.

The other male didn’t seem to notice it. “An hour maybe. Not too long.”

Kyuhyun’s attention shifted to the car pulling up. “I…have to go,” he mumbled half-heartedly, pointing with his elbow at the sleek black vehicle.

“You always have to go,” Ryeowook responded, “it’s nothing new.” He turned and started walking away.

The constricting in his chest increased ten-fold, tearing viciously into what was left of his sanity. “Please!” he called, raspy and gruelingly pathetic. Ryeowook paused but didn’t look at him. Kyuhyun clenched his fist, jaw twitching. “I…I didn’t just call you out for nothing. Will you please let me talk to you? I promise I’ll drive you…,” he choked on the words, but didn’t let the faltering be the end of him, “…to Jongwoon’s place. I’ll take you there after I’ve said what I need to say.”

Ryeowook was quiet for what seemed like a thousand lifetimes. When he finally sighed, Kyuhyun thought that it would be a rejection. However, Ryeowook turned around and silently strode up to the car, opening the passenger door. “Let’s hurry up then.”

His eyes widened, but then he was scrambling to the driver’s side, tipping the valet clumsily along the way. Kyuhyun shut the door behind him and immediately looked at Ryeowook who was undoing the oversized scarf around his neck. “Thanks,” he breathed.

“Mm,” Ryeowook muttered, not meeting his gaze.

Kyuhyun ignored it though, knowing that this was his only chance to make things clear. He couldn’t get married without hearing everything. Now Kyuhyun just had to figure out what the misunderstanding was, because he hadn’t thought they would get this far. Shifting the car into Drive, he slowly rolled out of the parking lot.

They drove in perfect, heavy silence for several minutes until Ryeowook once again ended it. “Congratulations on your recent scandal with that actress. I remember that you loved her movies.”

“Do you keep up with me?” Kyuhyun said without thinking.

“No, I don’t,” he shook his head honestly. “It was in a magazine a co-worker was reading.”

“It was just a one-night-stand,” he clarified without being prompted.

Ryeowook was looking out the window. “I don’t really care. I expected as much anyway.” He yawned, resting his head against the cool glass.

“Are you tired?” Kyuhyun fumbled for words, resisting the urge to wipe his sweaty hands off. The leather gloves weren’t breathable at all. He couldn’t remember another time that he had been so on edge.

“I’m fine,” he answered shortly, “where are we going?”

“Just somewhere to talk,” he assured.

That seemed to end the conversation as Ryeowook fell silent.

 

They drove for some time along the dark road until Kyuhyun pulled up to the front gates of a university. It was large and surprisingly quiet. The car was shifted into Park. Kyuhyun took a deep breath, trying to calm himself before continuing.

“Look,” he began, “for all that I’ve done to you, I am sorry. I won’t say I never meant it, because I did mean it. Otherwise I wouldn’t have been doing it.” Kyuhyun pushed past the clearly hurt emotions flickering over Ryeowook’s face. “But I didn’t think that when you left, I would start to hate my games.”

“Don’t tell me that this is why you called me out.”

Kyuhyun stopped, taken back. “What do you mean?”

Ryeowook stifled a sigh, eyes catching his. “Are you trying to reconcile? It’s too late. It shouldn’t have taken my marriage to someone else to push you to do this.” His hands had curled into fists. “Just…Kyuhyun, do you understand how pathetic that is for me? You didn’t want me after I walked away. You haven’t wanted me until you knew someone else was taking me. You say that you hate games, but I’m still just a game to you.”

“That’s not true—”

“—It is.” Ryeowook cut back sharply, eyes narrowing angrily. “The game isn’t a game until there’s a rival. Jongwoon is trying to ruin your game. You don’t want anyone messing up your little toys. That’s how you’ve always been. I was just an easily obtained game piece. That’s why you kept me around.”

Kyuhyun reached out automatically, but his hand was slapped away. The fierce reaction felt like a severing. His hand burned and froze, feeling violently disconnected.

“Can you even remember why you chose me? I sure as hell don’t know why you did.” Ryeowook shook his head, disgust feeding into his expression. “You don’t understand at all. I don’t care what you have to say when I know that it’s all bull. You’ve never told me the truth. That’s what I’ve realized during our time apart. I’m tired of it all. I’m tired of you.”

So many rebuttals rose up in Kyuhyun’s throat, but nothing would come out. It was as if the tunnel had been shut up and no more could rise up. Closing his eyes, he tried to loosen the barrier constricting him, not wanting to lose his one and only chance to make things right again. Ryeowook wasn’t married yet and he would do everything he could to make sure that stayed true.

He couldn’t actually think of Ryeowook as just another game piece – let alone a cheap game piece. But how could he prove that?

“Take me home now.”

Kyuhyun ignored the statement, turning until his eyes were level with Ryeowook’s. “Listen to me. Postpone the wedding.”

“Why should I?” he retorted.

“Give me a second chance.”

Ryeowook’s face screwed up in near rage. “You have no idea what you’re asking.”

He ground his teeth. “I’m serious. Don’t give me one of your half-hearted second chances. Give me a real one. Let me show you that I can be the end all. I will be your end game. Just let me prove it.” Kyuhyun exhaled loudly. “Jongwoon was never meant for you.”

“If you’re done insulting my fiancé, take me home.” Ryeowook’s face was closed off, eyes dark and livid.

Only then did it make sense to Kyuhyun just how serious the situation was. There was no way to get through to him anymore. They weren’t connected. He lingered in that thought, squeezing the steering wheel harder.

“I won’t stop pestering you until you agree.” Kyuhyun cast Ryeowook a look. “You know I mean it. You know me. You know how horrible I am, and how stubborn I can be.”

And if there was any doubt before that that was a bluff, it no longer existed. Ryeowook his lips, closing his eyes. “You have one week. That’s it.”