Part 2 - The Reaping

BTS Hunger Games


The announcement was made the same as every year, although families had already gathered in preperation for the reaping. 

Some families bore a strong, resiliant face with one another. Some wept softly with one another, parents holding their youngest children close to their chest. No one liked it when the preteens were chosen as Tribute. They had less of a chance at survival by far after all, and their names had only been in there once. 

However most families just stood with one another, some best friends holding hands, staring numbly and silently at the Reaper in charge. Praying in their heads that they get just one more year with the ones that they love. To just dodge this bullet. Thinking, "If only none of my friends and family are chosen, then it will all be ok". I used to do the same thing when I was younger, so I understood their internal grief. 

The reaper in charge this year was a very frillily dressed lace monster of a woman with pink hair teased so spurratic and high on the top of her head it looked as if it were some kind confused cotton candy. Her voice was extremely high pitched, almost annoyingly so. 

"Welcome, welcome!" exclaimed the Reaper in a much too excited and cheerful tone of voice than necessary, "The time has come to select one courageous young man and woman to have the honour of representing District 3 in the 58th annual Hunger Games!" 

 

"Now, Gentlemen first!" she sang in a bell like tone. 

There was complete and utter scilence from everyone. I doubt anyone was even breathing at that point, the tension was so high. I myself was very tense, as this would be my last year to become a potential tribute. While this meant that I had more of my name in the possible drawing, I still held on to the hope that I would finally escape this anxiety for a while. 

The Reaper placed her well manicured hand into the glass bowl that was filled with possibilities. And plucked out one single, solitary name. 

The Reaper slowly peered at the name with a pleasant and unphased look on her face, cleared in a high pitched cough of a noise, and leaned slowly to the microphone. 
“Min Yoongi". 

.