Part 3 - The Chosen

BTS Hunger Games

My mind went blank as I stood there in utter shock and horror of the name spoken upon that woman's lips. Min Yoongi. My ultimate fear was finally realized, and I was left in a state of utter shock and confusion. My parents, wherever in the crowd they may be, must be horrified and shattered.

I did not know what to do but before my mind could think, I somehow mustered the strength to walk to the platform where the Reaper awaited me with her terrifyingly cheerful disposition despite the fact that I was about to be pitted against 23 other people in a controlled battle to the death. 

As I slowly arrived at my place on the platform, I looked out at the sea of people that were the members of my District. There were a lot of relieved faces from the male candidates, as they had not been chosen. 

Try as I may, I could not see my parents anywhere in sight. They must have been trying to stay strong in this circumstance, or not want to upset me by showing their faces that were most likely filled with agony and dispair.

"Come, come," coaxed the Reaper, "Stand next to me, right here, that's a good lad!" 

I stood next to the strange and unfamiliar woman in a daze of mixed emotions. 

"Now, now! It is time to choose a girl victor!" exclaimed the Reaper. 

Her hand hovered over the second bowl of names for a moment, and reached in, selectively choosing the piece of paper that called to her most. The second name was plucked. 

"Our female victor for District 3 is... Marie Clark!" 

   An agonizing cry came out of a girl with blue hair who looked about sixteen years old as she desperately clung to her older sister. The older sister had a look of deep sadness in her eyes as she kissed her sister, handed her to her mother to comfort her (although mom was crying a fair amount herself), and calmly approached the platform. 

I had only seen this girl before in passing glances and never paid much attention to her, or any other person for that matter, but us being in the same circumstance allowed me to have a closer look at this individual.

She would inevitably become my enemy in the end, and they say to keep your enemies closer. 

She was very fair skinned, almost ghostly so, with medium length black wavy hair with straight across bangs just at eyebrow level. She had big green eyes, slight freckles across her nose and cheeks, had piercings in her dimples and small features on a skinny tall frame. 

She looked kind of like a porcelain doll, yet slightly creepy in a way that I could not explain. She wore black baggy clothing, but I could see tattoos peaking out here and there from her clothing. In total, she looked kind of scary, but in a sad and pitiful way. I would remember to be cautious of her nonetheless. 

 

I do not remember much of that day after we were sent back with the capital officiators on an unfamiliar and way too fancy train of some sort. We were allowed to see our families before departing, although mine was nowhere to be seen. 

    I only remember sitting and staring blankly for what seemed like forever, surrounded by decadent foods the likes of which I had never seen before, but I had no hunger for it. I was in a state of complete emotional numbness. The girl from my district was nowhere in sight. She was probably off attempting to comprehend our situation somewhere. I spoke to no one, and I do not know if anyone spoke to me. Shock will do that to a person. 

I barely remember being moved to our accomidations, but the next day I woke up in a clearer state of mind.