Part 1 - The Day

BTS Hunger Games


The morning was eerily calm on the day of the reaping. The sunlight shined shyly through the clouds like a tangerine dream, waking the birds and arising people of District 3 from their slumbers. 

   The wind blew a gentle breeze that added a sense of peace to the atmosphere as if it were somehow whispering to me that today would be okay in the end. That no one else would have to leave us. Today would just be another day. 

In fact, it was that way every year for as long as I can remember. It had become a social norm by this point in time. No one dared oppose The Capital anymore because there was only one definite outcome that one could look forward to. That outcome was certain death. Even those who wished death upon themselves would not do such a boisterous act, for it would negatively impact the whole District. 

Most of us have families to protect, and still tried our hardest within our families to survive be any means possible. To just get through the year without anything bad happening. Others simply became numb to the whole situation and thought of the games as a valid sacrifice for our crimes against The Capital years ago. Those people are as robotic as the devices they tinker with, but whatever helps them sleep at night. 

My Name is Min Yoongi and I am of Korean descent. I have fair skin. I was born March 9th, 1993, Picies, have dark triangular eyes, am 176 cm tall, have black hair and I am from District 3. I also like to think that I have pretty nice legs by my standards. 

District 3 is a technicological district. Most people here work in factories building televisions, vehicles, computers and all kinds of much more technicalogically advanced electronics for The Capital. That is how I found my love at a young age. Although I have found it hard to hide over the years, I still manage. 

I was working in a factory and fumbling around with an old laptop computer when I found a very perculiar program and a lot of interesting files buried deep within it. They were very well hidden within the CPU. As I slowly unlocked the program and explored the files within, I discovered that it was a type of music making software that was subsequentially filled with all kinds of music, the likes of which I have never heard before. There were such interesting and unfamiliar beats and rhythems to the music, and I knew that I wanted to make as many songs of my own as I possibly could. I had taken a strong adoration for rapping. The program had every instrument you could imagine! I just had to hide it well, for it would be considered a crime against The Capital. Particularly since my songs were not exactly "pro-Capital" by any means. 

I built a small hidden radio station and with the help of 6 anonomous supporters from other districts, we made music with the files they sent me and broadcast them through a secret radio station we called KKul FM.

All of us knew we were of Korean decsent, although we did not know each others faces. We called our secret group BTS. Bangtan Sonyeondan, Bulletproof Boyscouts. Beyond The Scene.
  
   Even if no one was sure that anyone was even listening, we wanted to make our music. We broadcasted in Korean with a slight mix of english just in case anyone was listening on our secret broadcasts, they could connect with our cause. I just hoped the Capital was not listening in. Although seeing as how I am from District 3, I had access to black market equipment so that I could safely camoflogue our broadcasting place in case they were listening. 

   We communicated through encrypted emails, and became close, but tried not to share too much information about ourselves so that our identities could not be found easily. We had nicknames to protect our identities. Mine was Suga, since I have fair skin. The others were Jin, Rapmon, J-Hope, Chim Chim, V and Kookie. 

I live with my mother, father, and my dog Min Holly. Imagine their surprise, (and mine), when our lives would be forever changed that fateful day. 

   I spent that day like any other day. Making music in secret to express my distain for what the world has come to, helping my parents when they needed it and walking Min Holly since weather for the day was just too perfect for him to be cooped up inside all day; despite the peaceful atmosphere of the morning starting to turn more urgent as the time for the yearly reaping would soon be upon us. 

I pondered a lot of things as I walked, and in doing so a thought in my head came back. The thought was the same as every year before in a viscious reocurring theme. Is this year my year? Will I be the next male from my district to be cast into that terrifying circumstance? If I do, will I stand alone as the victor? Or better yet, can I actually bring myself to take the life of another in favor of my own? I hoped to myself that I would never have to find out.