The Truth

Remember

Baekhyun groaned at the pain in his head, his eyes opened and he wanted to laugh at the sight of the infirmary, he had never needed to visit the infirmary in his other schools, in just a few weeks, it was his second time here, as well as his second time being unconscious. He hadn't remembered the first time, since he didn't wake up until he was in his room, but Yixing had told him that he had been taken there after being hit by the ball.

 

 

He turned his head to the side and found Chanyeol, the taller once agin asleep, the windows showed it was night time and Baekhyun wondered just how long he had been out. He placed a hand on Chanyeols and the other jolted awake, eyes darting around until the rested on Baekhyun, he sent the smaller a warm smile. "What time is it?" Baekhyun inquired and Chanyeol showed him his mobile. The display read 11:30 and Baekhyuns eyes widened, "I was asleep for so long.".

 

Chanyeol quickly typed a message, 

 

'Do you remember what happened?'

 

Baekhyuns eyebrows furrowed as he thought back to the day, the memories came back and he let out a gasp, "The sword.". Chanyeol looked at him with an unreadable expression. "How...How did I do that?" He questioned breathlessly, he had seen that sword a couple of times, all in the stories regarding the deities. Chanyeol typed again.

 

'You'll find out soon.' 

 

Chanyeol had a small smile on his face and held out a hand, a Baekhyun slipped his smaller palm into Chanyeols and allowed himself to be pulled off the bed. Chanyeol led him down a familiar hallway and they arrived at the headmasters office, Baekhyun was confused, "Why are we here?". Chanyeol didn't answer and simply entered the room.

 

Baekhyun walked in and was met with the sight of all of his friends, "Baekhyun, you're alright!" Yixing exclaimed, folding Baekhyun into a hug. Baekhyun chuckled and patted the healers back. "I'm fine, but why is everyone here?" He inquired, looking round at everyone's faces. 

 

"We were hoping Chanyeol could explain that." Kris commented and Baekhyun looked at his boyfriend with a questioning gaze. Chanyeol gave a squeeze to Baekhyuns hand and sent a nod to the headmaster, who was sat at his desk, Baekhyun only then noticed that the headmaster, along with four other teachers were in the office as well.

 

"Come this way, everything will make more sense soon enough." The headteacher revealed, he led them out of the building and round to another smaller building that was located near it. "This is out of bounds to the students, why are we going in here?" Junmyeon questioned. "Chanyeol didn't want anyone to interfere with what he had done in here and so he doesn't allow anyone in." Their class teacher commented. Baekhyun was becoming more and more confused, why would Chanyeol have his own building that no one was allowed into?

 

They stopped in front of the door to the building, Chanyeol, still grasping Baekhyuns hand, pulled him to the door, retrieving a key that was hung around his neck. He inserted it into the lock on the door and unlocked it. He returned the key to its place and pushed the door open, it was an old building that had modern light fixtures, that looked out of place. Chanyeol flipped on the lights and Baekhyun gasped in shock.

 

He couldn't understand what he was seeing in front of him, there were eleven paintings displayed around the room, each with their own plaques underneath. Each portrait had a vase underneath it, each one filled with flowers. The room was made so that there were five portraits on each side and one on the far wall. 

 

Baekhyuns eyes widened at the portrait that was hung on the far wall, accompanied by more flowers than any of the others. A familiar face stared back at Baekhyun.

 

His own face.

 

"What...What is this?" Minseok whispered. "This is a collection of the only portraits made of the deities." The headmaster revealed.

 

"What the hell! These are us though." Jongin exclaimed. The students looked at the headteacher in desperation, not knowing what to think.

 

"They are indeed you. Of course it's missing one portrait, but the fire deity didn't feel the need to hang his own picture up." Mr Kim commented. Everyone looked at Chanyeol, assuming that he was the missing picture, the male in question had his eyes aimed at the ground, not meeting anyone's gazes.

 

"So..Are we going to get an explanation, because I think I can safely say we have no idea what's going on." Sehun added and the students nodded in agreement.

 

The headteacher sighed, "It would be far easier to let Chanyeol tell you and so we need to fix his problem.". Chanyeol released Baekhyuns hand and went up to Baekhyuns portrait, he retrieved yet another key and unlocked a box that Baekhyun hadn't noticed was sitting in front of his own space on the wall. Chanyeol drew something out and Baekhyun was shocked to see that he held a knife when he turned back around.

 

"To give you a bit of insight, yes you are all the deities, it obviously doesn't make any sense right now, but soon enough you will understand. Chanyeol was the only one to survive what happened all those years ago and he never told us why or how, but he locked his voice away in that knife, the only way to return it to him, is to stab him in the heart." The headmaster told them.

 

The students froze and Baekhyun looked at him as if he was delirious, he let out a humourless laugh, "So you're telling me I have to watch someone stab my boyfriend.". Mr Kim shook his head, "No...we're telling you that you have to do it.". Baekhyun instantly shook his head, "You can't tell me to do that." He felt his pulse quicken at the thought, how could they expect that of him?

 

The teachers sent him apologetic looks, "It's Chanyeols wish, Baekhyun, he wanted you to do it.". Baekhyuns head whipped around to stare at his boyfriend, "You want me to do that?" He whispered, dread filling his voice.

 

Chanyeol sent him a loving smile and drew close to him, Baekhyun shook as Chanyeol unsheathed the knife and placed it into his hands. Baekhyun looked up at him with wide eyes, shaking his head, "No...No I-I can't do that." He stumbled over his words.

 

Chanyeol was still smiling and traced a word on to Baekhyuns hand, it took Baekhyun a few times to understand, but eventually he recognised the word 'Trust' against his skin.

 

Baekhyun felt tears prickle his eyes as Chanyeol wrapped his own hands around Baekhyuns, Baekhyun let small sobs leave his mouth as Chanyeol placed a peck to his forehead. Chanyeol pulled Baekhyuns hands, along with the knife over his heart, time seemed to be suspended as Chanyeol gazed warmly into a Baekhyuns eyes.

 

Baekhyun could feel the tears stream down his face as Chanyeol pulled his hands towards his own chest and Baekhyun cried harder and he felt the knife pierce Chanyeols skin.

 

He wanted to pull back as Chanyeols face contorted in pain, but Chanyeol wouldn't let him, his hands held Baekhyuns firmly in place and kept pushing the knife in. Baekhyun  watched as Chanyeols shirt was stained red and Baekhyun tried his hardest to wrench the knife back, Chanyeol opened his eyes long enough to meet Baekhyuns and he shook his head.

 

Baekhyun understood that he had to finish it and he sobbed loudly as he pushed the knife in the last of the way. Suddenly, a burst of fire erupted from the wound in Chanyeols chest and Baekhyun closed his eyes against it, waiting for the pain. He opened his eyes a few seconds later and his eyes widened as he saw the fire create some sort of bubble around them. 

 

Baekhyun felt Chanyeols legs give out and they both fell to the floor, Baekhyun not being able to support himself either. The fire burnt on for another few seconds and Baekhyun watched as the blade burnt up, he frantically checked for a wound and was relieved when he found nothing. The fire around them dissipated along with the knife and the two of them were left on the ground, Chanyeol was breathing hard and Baekhyun was in a similar state.

 

After what seemed like an eternity, Chanyeol opened his eyes, the taller was lay with his head in Baekhyuns lap and Baekhyun looked into his eyes, trying to work out if he was alright.

 

Chanyeol opened his mouth, "...Baek...Hyun.", Baekhyuns eyes widened as the most beautiful voice he had ever heard flowed out of his boyfriends mouth. Baekhyun felt his tears fall again, this time from happiness. "Chanyeol." He whispered.

 

"Baekhyun...I'm sorry...for making you do that." Chanyeol whispered, his voice still rough, from not using it for so long. Baekhyun shook his head, "Its fine, just don't make me do it again." Baekhyun let out a small laugh and Chanyeol chuckled.

 

Baekhyun sniffled at the sound, loving his boyfriends voice, it was so deep and smooth and Baekhyun fell in love with Chanyeol all over again. Chanyeol reached up a hand and caressed his cheek, "Don't cry." He coaxed and it only served to make Baekhyun cry even more.

 

Winding his arms around Chanyeols shoulders, he pulled Chanyeol close and hugged him tightly. Chanyeol chuckled and hugged him back the best he could. Baekhyun pulled back and inspected Chanyeols face, looking for any signs of pain, "I'm fine Baekhyun, but I think I owe you all an explanation." Chanyeol added and Baekhyun nodded.

 

Baekhyun helped Chanyeol to stand and they finally looked at their friends, as expected all of them were staring with wide eyes, Chanyeol sighed and Baekhyun slipped his hand into Chanyeols, giving him a reassuring smile.

 

"So...This is going to sound really strange," Chanyeol began.

 

"What sounds strange is hearing your voice." Tao commented and Chanyeol let out a laugh, along with the rest of them, "Its weird for me as well.".

 

"Years ago, we were all the original deities, which is why we all have the same abilities, the books were correct in the fact that we were well loved, we had many followers and we all tried our hardest to look after everything and everyone. For the most part, we were successful, until one day, it became apparent that one of our most trusted followers had turned against us." A dark expression came over Chanyeols face, "It wasn't clear until it was too late, we all had our suspicions, but nothing could ever be proved and so we simply forgot. It was a grave mistake and he managed to gather others who he incited distrust in. I had been on a trip one day and I received news of an attack that had been launched against the palace, where everyone was. I rushed back...but, it was too late." Tears began to track down Chanyeols face, "I came back to a massacre, each of you had been struck down violently, I desperately looked for one person in particular, but even he was gone." Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun with such desperation that it broke his heart, "The traitor was barely alive, his own followers having passed on already, all he did was mock me and promise he would be back eventually, with that, he too died.". Baekhyun was shocked hearing Chanyeols story, he hadn't expected any of this.

 

"I was in a downward spiral and for days I didn't leave the palace. Nothing could console me and I couldn't bare to leave any of you. Over those days I experimented with the wrong kind of magic and wound up locking my voice away in the knife, it could only be reversed by the one I loved." Chanyeol sent a glance to Baekhyun, "After who knows how long, I was found by a group of followers that once again promised they wouldn't betray me." He sent a grateful glance to the teachers that were stood in the same room as them, "It took me years to finally trust them again, but I had heard rumours that they told prophesies. One in particular foretold the return of the deities, who would come back to once again fight the evil that had poisoned the earth. I held on to that hope and they helped me to properly send each of you off so that you may return when the time is right. Along with my followers, we built this academy, hoping to give a home to all those who were blessed with abilities. Around five years ago, each of you began to wake up again and I felt so much hope, it was clear that none of you were ready to return to your rightful places and so we sent you to different families, awaiting the time you would remember your abilities.".

 

"But what about all my childhood memories, I remember more than five years ago." Jongdae questioned. "Those are fake memories, we planted them so that you wouldn't be suspicious. Luckily. Most of your regained your abilities quickly and were enrolled into the academy, all that was missing was one person." Chanyeol added, looking at a Baekhyun, "But then he came back and everything began to fall into place and now we are here." He concluded and looked back at the others.

 

"Well then...that's an awful lot to take in." Minseok commented, "What's this room though?". Chanyeol looked around fondly, "It was my own way of honouring everyone, I hated the fact that everyone was forgotten and I didn't want to risk forgetting myself, so I made this room.". " He still brings flowers everyday." Mr Kim commented. "Is it not considered favouritism when one of us has more flowers than the rest." Kyungsoo added, sending a pointed look to the display beneath Baekhyuns portrait

 

The group laughed, "Well, that's a matter of missing my lover."  Chanyeol admitted and Baekhyun felt his cheeks colour at the name.

 

"What were we all like?" Yixing inquired and Chanyeol hummed in contemplation, "Pretty much the same as now, you were all together in the same relationships, it was just a different setting.".

 

"Why did you decide to do all this now?" Junmyeon questioned, "I considered telling you when Baekhyun returned, but I didn't think he was ready, after seeing Baekhyun with his sword again, I guessed it was the right time." Chanyeol replied. "So that really is the sword." Sehun muttered in awe. Chanyeol nodded, a proud expression on his face, "I was surprised to see it after so long, but it was no less amazing than it has always been.".

 

"If were back, the what about the evil that we have to defeat?" Luhan inquired. Chanyeols eyebrows furrowed, "I'm not sure when it will happen, or even what will happen, but the fact that all of you are here now, means something will begin soon.". "But it's not like we can fight against anyone, sure we are pretty good with our abilities, but without our memories, we're just school kids." Kris commented. Chanyeol nodded, "I know and there's a way to get them back.". The group looked at him expectantly, "We'll do it tomorrow night, for now, I think we should all get some rest.". Their friends nodded and began to filter out of the building, their expressions were somewhat dazed, as if they were still running through everything in their heads. To be honest, Baekhyun was still reeling, the events he had just gone through, were enough for him.

 

Baekhyun found him and Chanyeol left in the room along with the teachers, one by one the kneeled in front of Chanyeol, "Its good to have you back Chanyeol." The headmaster said and Baekhyun found it incredibly strange to have teachers bowing to his boyfriend. Chanyeol let out a laugh, "There's no need for that, Jinki.". 

 

Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun and motioned to the five that had stood back up, "These are the people I was on about, Jinki, Jonghyun, Kibum, Taemin and Minho.". Each of the five smiled warmly at Baekhyun as they were intorduced. Baekhyun nodded and smiled in return.

 

"We'll take our leave now," the one named Taemin added as they left the building, leaving just Chanyeol and Baekhyun. As soon as the door swung shut Baekhyun flung his arms around Chanyeols neck, burying his head in the tallers chest. He felt Chanyeols chest vibrate, as a low chuckle was heard, hands wound themselves around Baekhyuns waist and pulled the smaller in.

 

"I'm sorry." Baekhyun muttered against Chanyeols chest, "For what?" Chanyeol shot back. "I'm sorry that you had to go through that all alone...just the thought of what you went through make my heart ache for you, I'm so sorry Chanyeol." He was sincere in his words.

 

Chanyeol held Baekhyun tightly and leant down so that he was resting against Baekhyuns hair, "It doesn't matter, all that matters is that you're here now and soon it will be like nothing changed." Chanyeol murmured against his hair.

 

"We'll be happy again, all twelve of us and most importantly, the two of us." Chanyeol assured.

 

Baekhyun let out a yawn and Chanyeol laughed, "I think it's someone's bed time.". Baekhyun nodded and then let out a yelp as he felt Chanyeol hoist him up. Baekhyun was held in Chanyeols arms and he held tightly on to the tallers neck, not wanting to fall, "Relax, I've never dropped you once before, I'm not planning on it any time soon either." He laughed.

 

"Exactly how many times are we talking about?" Baekhyun looked at him with an unsure gaze. Chanyeol rolled his eyes, "Let's just say it's far too many times to count.".