The Exam

Remember

Baekhyun blinked his eyes open slowly and found himself faced with a chest, he looked up and saw his boyfriends sleeping face, he let out a smile at the sight of the taller. His movement caused Chanyeol to wake and the taller sent him a sleepy smile and Baekhyun cooed at how adorable he was, "Time for breakfast?" Baekhyun questioned and Chanyeol shook his head, pulling Baekhyun closer to him.  

 

Baekhyun chuckled, "We need to eat." He reminded the other, Chanyeol pouted and Baekhyun quickly pressed a kiss to the others lips, effectively erasing the expression. "Come on, let's get dressed." Baekhyun ordered and got out of the bed. To be quite honest, he didn't want to get up, but he had visions of Yixing bursting into the room and telling him off for missing breakfast once again.

 

Chanyeol sat up on the edge of the bed and dragged Baekhyun back just as he was gathering his things, Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Baekhyuns waist, resting his head on Baekhyuns stomach. Baekhyun laughed at how clingy his boyfriend was, he threaded his fingers through the tallers hair, loving his fluffy, red bed head.

 

A few minutes later and Baekhyun was sure the other had fallen back to sleep, he carefully detatched himself and found that the other was indeed awake, he smiled warmly at Chanyeol, "I'll go get changed and then we can go get some breakfast, okay?". Chanyeol nodded with a reluctant expression and Baekhyun grabbed his things, promising to be back soon.

 

~

 

The rest of the week leading up to the exam passed fairly quickly, everyday Baekhyun would spend time after classes practicing with Chanyeol, although most of their time was taken up with the taller stealing kisses from Baekhyun. By the next Friday morning, Baekhyun felt as though they had a pretty good chance.

 

Their friends had guessed about their relationship the moment the had arrived for breakfast, the day after their date, it was kind of clear, considering their intwined hands and loving glances. They received congratulations from all of them and many comments on how Chanyeol seemed so much happier, which made Baekhyun glad.

 

Baekhyun was in the middle of getting ready when a knock sounded, he opened the door and found Chanyeol, a warm smile on his face, in his hands were two apples, he passed one to Baekhyun and began to eat the other. 

 

Baekhyun thanked his boyfriend and ate it as he continued to get ready. Baekhyun put the final touches to his hair and grabbed everything he needed, he turned to Chanyeol, who was sitting on his bed, "Ready?" He checked, sending the taller a smile. Chanyeol nodded and Baekhyun held out a hand.

 

Chanyeol stood and entwined their fingers, giving him a grin in return, "You're far to excited considering we're about to fight against our friends." Baekhyun commented in an amused tone.

 

The two left Baekhyuns room and made their way towards the gym where they were going to hold the exam, waiting outside the building were the other students in the academy and wow there were a lot. They spotted their friends and went over to them, "Does everyone watch?" Baekhyun asked nervously.

 

The group nodded, "Pretty much everyone wants to see the advanced class." Luhan added and Baekhyun felt nauseous at the thought of that many people watching him. He felt a squeeze and looked up at Chanyeol who was smiling reassuringly at him. Baekhyun did his best to send a smile back, but he knew it wasn't very convincing.

 

"Hey, don't worry, you could probably sit back and let Chanyeol do everything, it'll be easy for you." Yixing assured and Baekhyun nodded, not trusting his voice. The doors to the building opened and the students began to file in, the advanced class all sat near each other on a row of seats, each pair were talking between themselves, clearly going over their plans. 

 

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol, "We'll be alright, won't we?" Baekhyun asked and Chanyeol nodded.

 

~

 

Chanyeol was excited to say the least, it had been so long since he properly got to exercise his ability, he always looked forward to the exams and actually having a partner for once was great.

 

He was so proud of his boyfriend, Baekhyun had really improved and Chanyeol felt as though he could rely on the other to help him. He could tell that Baekhyun was nervous and Chanyeol wished he could tell him that everything would be fine, instead he settled for holding Baekhyuns hand, giving him reassurance that Chanyeol would be there for him no matter what.

 

The exam proceeded the same way it did every year, to start the normal classes from each year fought against each other, however, they were put into groups of fours, this was for two reasons. Firstly, it allowed the exam to run quicker, since there were a lot of students to get through. Secondly, it allowed the students to work more as a team and gave them a chance to cover anyone who wasn't up to the same standard as the rest of the team.

 

Chanyeol didn't really care about these matches, he wasn't being mean or conceited, but the advanced fights were far more interesting. The normal classes usually had students who weren't that good at using their abilities, as a result the more powerful team quickly overtook and won the match, they usually lasted a couple of minutes, if that.

 

It took around an hour and a half to get through the normal classes and then it was announced that the advanced class would begin, excitement ran through the room, this was what everyone had been waiting for.

 

First up was Minseok, Jongdae, Luhan and Sehun, cheers went up for the four as they entered the stage, it was a raised platform that had a transparent barrier around it, the barrier was needed especially for the advanced class, who could get overzealous at times and forget that their abilities could harm those around them.

 

Chanyeol watched as the pairs sized each other up, Minseok and Jongdae grinned at each other, Luhan was watching them with a steady gaze, Sehun standing behind him.

 

"Come on then Lulu give it your best shot." Jongdae provoked, Luhan let a sly smirk make its way on to his face. The room was in silence, everyone anticipating who would make the first move. 

 

Surprisingly, it was Sehun who sent a vicious gust of wind in the direction of the two, Chanyeol heard Baekhyun gasp in shock, his hand tightening as Jongdae and Minseok were thrown back against the barrier. Minseok shook off the initial shock and moved his hands, forming crystals of ice in front of him, he shot them in the direction of Sehun. Luhan stepped in front of Sehun, holding his arms up.

 

The crystals stopped in a wall just before they could hit Luhan, with the smirk still plastered across his face, he made a motion with his hands and the crystals shot back at their maker with ridiculous speed, Minseok managed to deflect most of them, but one got past his defences, slicing his cheek. A trickle of blood ran down his face and the look of anger was evident in Jongdaes eyes.

 

Jongdae held his arms up in front of him, he clasp them together and slowly brought them apart, his hair began to stand on edge and if Chanyeol wasn't so invested in the fight, he probably would have found it funny. A ball of electricity formed in his hands and he threw it in the direction of the other two, Luhans eyes widened and he managed to use his ability to lift Sehun into the air, he wasn't so lucky and the electricity shocked him, the pained gasp Luhan let out was easily heard through the room. He fell to his knees, his body jolting slightly due to the current running through it.

 

At the sight of Luhan, Sehuns eyes narrowed and he glared at Jongdae, "So are we gonna start, or are we taking turns again." Jongdae mocked. From then on the fight became more and more intense, the pairs worked hard to send attacks in the direction of the others, however, it was obvious that Luhan had been affected by Jongdaes earlier attack, and his defences became increasingly worse. Luhan spent the majority of the fight with his jaw clenched, his expression betraying his pain.

 

The fight lasted a good ten minutes, with Minseok and Jongdae relentlessly attacking Luhan and Sehun, eventually Luhan collapsed due to a particularly bad shock from Jongdae that caused him to let out a cry of pain.

 

Their class teacher Mr Kim called the end of the match and the other three ceased all attacks, Sehun rushed over to Luhan, who's face was contorted in pain. Minseok and Jongdae also checked to see if Luhan was alright, together they helped Luhan back to his seat. Whilst the next match was being set up, Yixing quickly went to heal Luhan, preventing him from being in any more pain.

 

The next match was announced and Yixing, Junmyeon, Tao and Kris made their way into the ring. Unlike the previous match, the four got right into the fight, Junmyeon was stood before Yixing attacking the other two, whilst his boyfriend healed any attacks he received. 

 

Chanyeol had to admit Junmyeon was pretty good, his defences were solid and didn't allow the other two to get in. Tao was using his ability to stop time and move into a better place, whilst Kris distracted Junmyeon, moving around so that he wasn't hit. It was easy to see that Tao was getting tired from constantly using his ability, it wasn't easy to stop time and doing it so much must really be taking a toll on him.

 

Eventually, Tao managed to succeed and one minute Yixing was stood behind Junmyeon, the next he was on the other side of the ring, Tao took the chance to use his own skills to knock Junmyeon out, the male collapsing.

 

The match was called to an end and Yixing went to his boyfriend, using his ability to heal Junmyeon and bring him back to consciousness. Luckily, Junmyeon woke up quickly and the four left the stage. 

 

It was nice to see that even after fighting, all of them were still good friends, making sure that the other pair weren't too hurt. They all knew that these exams were a test of how good they were with their abilities and not a chance to hurt their friends and so they all took each hit with the knowledge that it wasn't meant in a horrible way.

 

The last match was announced and Chanyeol grinned, he sent a glance to the last pair and could see they were wearing matching smirks, aimed at Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Their match had to be held outside, the first year they had the exams with the advanced class, Kyungsoo had ruined the floor, having accidentally made trees burst through it. Since then, the academy decided that it was best to leave Kyungsoos matches outside.

 

Their stage was specially constructed and had a fence around it, the other students crowded around it, each wanting to see the match. Chanyeol held Baekhyuns hand as they followed Kyungsoo and Jongin into the area, he could feel Baekhyuns hesitance and sent him a smile, squeezing his hand. Baekhyun gave him a hopeful expression, "Are you sure we can do this? Are you sure I can do this?", Chanyeol gave a firm nod, he really did believe Baekhyun could do it, if only the other knew how much he was capable of.

 

Baekhyun seemed to be somewhat reassured by his nod and took up his place besides Chanyeol. The match began and Chanyeol immediately attacked, there was no point in prolonging their fight, he didn't want Baekhyun to feel too stressed. With a reasonable amount of force, he sent a stream of fire in Kyungsoos direction, knowing that he needed to be their priority. Unfortunately, his attack never reached Kyungsoo, Jongin had latched onto the smaller arm and teleported them out of the way.

 

Kyungsoo let out a chuckle, eyes glinting mischievously, "Not so fast Chanyeol, this match isn't going to finish before I've even had a chance.".

 

~

 

Baekhyun was slightly frozen from Chanyeols move, he knew he shouldn't be worried about the other two getting hurt, they had all told him that these matches were a bit of fun where they got to show off their abilities. But Baekhyun couldn't help feeling worried, after Kyungsoos comment, the other pair began their assault, it was mainly Kyungsoo, who was causing vines tog row from the ground, attempting to wrap around their ankles, he was also forming rocks using his ability and directing them in their direction. 

 

Baekhyun was so glad he had Chanyeol, the taller had a protective circle of fire around the two of them, that burnt up anything that attempted to touch them, Baekhyun felt bad that he wasn't doing anything to help and so he focused on Jongin that was flitting around the stage, trying to find a weak spot.

 

Baekhyun let out a breath and looked at the male, he found it easier if he held his hands up, as if he was able to direct the light where he wanted it to go. He willed the light to be taken away from Jongins sight and at first nothing happened. Putting more force behind his thoughts he tried again and grinned as the boy stumbled and brought his hands up to his face.

 

Baekhyun began to feel dizzy, the strain of using so much power was getting to him and he had to stop, Jongin got his sight back and began to jump around again, not bothered by his temporary blindness. 

 

Baekhyun repeated his attack several more times, causing Jongin to get slightly more irritated each time. And then something happened.

 

Baekhyun lost sight of Jongin and suddenly felt a tug on his arm, he stumbled out of the circle of fire and landed on the floor, letting out a gasp of pain. Chanyeol looked at him in shock and reached an arm out for him. Out of the corner of his vision, Baekhyun saw Kyungsoo grin, a huge rock formed and Baekhyun knew it would hit Chanyeol. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion, Baekhyun could see the rock gaining on Chanyeol each second and as if by instinct, Baekhyun launched himself to his feet, he held his hands in a position as if he was gripping something, he felt a handle appear in his hands and he swung upwards as if he knew what he was doing.

 

As the rock came close, a brilliant light followed Baekhyuns swing and the rock met the light, shattering into tiny pieces. Baekhyun breathed heavily from the force of the attack and looked back at Kyungsoo and Jongin, who were staring at him with shocked expressions. Baekhyun looked round and noticed that everyone was silent, all of their gazes trained on him. He cast a glance downwards and let out a gasp, in his hands was a sword made entirely of light, just like the one he had seen in the book.

 

Baekhyun felt a wave of dizziness overcome him and the sword fizzled out into nothing and the world tilted to the side as Baekhyun collapsed.

 

~

 

Chanyeol saw Baekhyun being dragged out of the circle and looked over to see his boyfriend on the floor, he knew he shouldn't have taken his eyes off of Kyungsoo, but he had to know Baekhyun was alright. Suddenly, Baekhyun sprung into action and jumped in front of him and Chanyeol finally noticed the huge rock that was coming their way. He moved to push Baekhyun out the way and a light shone from Baekhyuns hands, Chanyeol watched with wide eyed as the sword he hadn't seen in so long cut down Kyungsoos attack. 

 

The whole academy fell into silence, everyone no doubt recognising the sword that Baekhyun held. Baekhyun looked around and Baekhyun saw him falter as the sword disappeared, Chanyeol saw his legs give up and he moved forward to catch his boyfriend before he hit the ground. 

 

The teachers hurriedly instructed the other students to return to their classes and it was met with many complaints, but nevertheless, the students followed their demands. Chanyeol knelt with Baekhyun in his arms, as their friends gathered around the two, along with five teachers, including the headteacher.

 

"What the hell was that?" Jongdae was the first to bring up the same thing everyone was wondering. "Baekhyun shouldn't even be able to do that, never mind bringing that sword into existence." Luhan observed. The headteacher sent a pointed look in Chanyeols direction, "Maybe its time they all knew." He commented and Chanyeol grimaced, he knew it was time, but it didn't make it any easier.

 

Of course he wanted everyone to know, but it was kind of difficult to tell everyone. "What do you mean by that?" Junmyeon questioned, the rest of the group nodding. Their class teacher sighed, "Wait until Baekhyuns awake and then we'll tell you all everything.".

 

The others tried to complain, but the teachers ignored their protests, "Take Baekhyun to the infirmary, Yixing you go with them and make sure Baekhyuns alright." The headteacher informed and Yixing nodded. The teachers then left and Chanyeol stood with a Baekhyun cradled in his arms. His friend looked at him with expectant looks, "You really aren't going to tell us anything?" Kyungsoo asked. Chanyeol shook his head, a sad expression on his face.

 

Yixing sighed, "Come on then, there's nothing we can do until Baekhyun wakes up, so let's hope he does soon.".

 

Just like the had done a few days ago, Chanyeol brought Baekhyun to the infirmary, laying him down on one of the beds, Yixing pressed a hand to his forehead, closing his eyes. He reopened them and looked at Chanyeol, "He'll be fine, he just used too much power and it overwhelmed him, Baekhyun should wake up soon.".

 

Chanyeol smiled gratefully at Yixing, "I won't interrogate you now, but I really hope you'll explain whatever it is we all need to know soon." Yixing said softly, laying a hand on Chanyeols shoulder. Chanyeol smiled up at Yixing, giving him a nod.

 

Yixing left the room and Chanyeol was left alone with Baekhyun, the smaller looked so delicate in his place and Chanyeol was once again thankful that Baekhyun had walked into their class again that day.

 

He thought back to Yixings words and rubbed his eyes with his hands, he knew that the truth would come out eventually and he just hoped everyone would take it well and not think he was crazy. Most of all, he just wanted everything back to how it was suppose to be, how it was before everything happened.