The Red Card

You're Getting on My Nerves, Maestro
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On Monday Kihyun entered the university's building in a half-asleep state. He had been finishing his end of semester project the whole night. It was partially his own fault that he didn't start it earlier but the brunette also knew that he shouldn't have spent the whole Saturday doing what he eventually had done. The senior had no idea how it could end up like this. He wasn't in a very good mood but he knew that he had to move on. Even though he didn't really want to be at school at that moment, he fought the feeling and he reluctantly entered the locker room. He took his coat off, folded it and rifled through his bag to find the key to his locker. When he finally found it, he glanced at the metal door and froze. There was something red pushed into the crack on the left side and it blocked the lock. Kihyun groaned. What the hell was that supposed to mean? Was someone trying to prank him? That wouldn't be very implausible considering how many people disliked him. He threw his coat on the bench and studied the locker more closely. To his surprise, the red thing looked like some kind of paper or cardboard. He sighed and tried to pull it out of the crack. It turned out to be a way harder than it previously seemed to be. He fought with the damn piece of paper for good five minutes until he eventually got so angry that he just sat on the bench and hid his face in his hands. He breathed in and out trying to calm himself down. At that point, he started considering whether he should ask one of his friends to keep his belongings for him. He was sure that he could count on them but he eventually decided to try for the one last time. His nails grew quite long so he managed to grip the red paper with his two fingers and after a few seconds of tugging it, he managed to tear a fragment of it out.

"ing hell." - he swore under his breath - "What a damn would do something like that? Who the thought that it was a good idea?"

Just at the moment when he was still muttering swears under his nose Jooheon entered the room and looked at him as if he just saw an alien. The blonde judged him for a few seconds in silence and he narrowed his eyes so much that one couldn't even tell if they were still opened or not.

"Are you ok?" - asked the percussionist after a while when Kihyun finally shut up.

The brunette threw him a dubious look.

"Oh, dude, please, can't you see that I'm ing pissed off?" - he ground out and he sat on the bench again after he took his books out of the locker.

It turned out that the second part of the red sheet of paper stayed inside and it fell out as he opened the locker. He quickly picked it up and hid it in one of his books. Jooheon watched the piece of paper fall down to the floor like in slow motion and he sent the brunette a questioning look but after that, he turned around to put his jacket into his own locker which was exactly on the opposite side of Kihyun's own one. But as he took all of his things out of his locker he turned around to the brunette again and started to stare at him. It seemed that at that moment he didn't want to give up on finding out why his friend was angry. Kihyun should have known that Jooheon and the rest of his friends were always overly curious and he never managed to hide the truth from them. The pianist gulped loudly as the blonde's blue eyes were nailed on him. His gaze was very intimidating and Kihyun wished that the day his friend started to wear those contact lenses instead of glasses never happened. They made his stare ten times more striking.

"Ok, ok. I get it." - he blurted out quickly because he had a feeling that Jooheon wanted to kill him with his stare - "You want to know why I'm so angry, am I right?" - he asked trying very hard to avoid looking at him any longer.

"Only if you want to tell me." - replied the blonde in a casual tone and Kihyun rolled his eyes.

Who Jooheon tried to fool? He just couldn't be more obvious that he was trying to find it out.

"Ok, I'll tell you. Some dumb er almost broke my locker because they tried to push some damn red piece of paper into it." - he tried to explain that calmly but even thinking about it gave him a headache.

Jooheon stared at him blankly.

"Why would someone do something like that?" - he asked in a low voice clearly surprised - "By the way, was there anything written on the piece of paper? Did you even check?"

As the blonde asked the question Kihyun realised that it should be the first thing to do, so he just palmed his face and quickly took the red, torn paper out of his book.

"What if it is an anonymous threat or something?" - asked Jooheon in panicky voice and the brunette sighed - "That would make sense. You should watch your back!" - he added in a conspirational tone.

Lee Jooheon, the scaremonger #1 at the whole university. How could Kihyun forget about that?

"Calm the down." - he muttered and started to read.

As soon as he read the first word he felt that his cheeks started to burn. Uh-oh. Now he knew what Changkyun had meant when he talked about some cards and the university mail or whatever it was called. It was a love letter. He could tell that it was written by Changkyun even though the second part of it was still safe in his book. It just had to be it.

"What is it?" - asked the blonde in an excited tone as he saw Kihyun's flushed face.

"H-holy cow." - he stuttered out - "That's a damn love letter."

Jooheon gaped his mouth but after he processed the information he started to jump up and down like a little kid.

"Oh my God, someone likes you!" - he squealed and Kihyun suddenly recalled why he sometimes hated the blonde and his so-called "twin", Minhyuk.

It was because the two blondes were capable of making the most inhuman noises he had ever heard.

"Is it signed?" - asked Jooheon after he calmed down a bit.

Kihyun gulped. He didn't want to show that he knew who wrote it.

"Er, no. I pulled too hard and the card split into two parts. And the second one is so crumpled that it's illegible. - he lied feeling small drops of perspiration show on his back.

The brunette still hasn't read what was written in the second part of it so it was better to play dumb. He was sure that there just had to written be something very personal. Jooheon pouted.

"Oh, what a pity. I hope that you'll find out one day who wrote it. It's very cute that someone put so much effort to do something like that for you." - he said dreamingly.

Kihyun rolled his eyes for the nth time that day. It seemed that his friend was more excited about the letter than he himself.

"I don't get why they tried to break your locker, though." - added the blonde after a few seconds rising his eyebrow.

"That's the point." - said the pianist blankly - "Oh, wait. I've heard that there was some kind of a university mail and they were supposed to deliver the Valentine cards to everyone." - he added after he suddenly recalled what Changkyun had told him the other day.

"Really?" - asked Jooheon in surprised tone - "They have weird methods then."

Kihyun laughed half-heartedly.

"They're , I guess." - he stated.

After that, he glanced at his watch and realised that they had only 5 minutes before the first class would start. He totally forgot that they came there to study. He urged his friend and they both rushed out of the locker room.

~*~

Kihyun couldn't focus much during his classes that day. He felt weird after it turned out that Changkyun really did feel something for him. Previously, he didn't even understand what the younger boy meant by 'the card'. And also he was too busy on Sunday to even think what had actually had happened that Saturday afternoon so when he wasn't stressed out about meeting the deadlines anymore the reality hit him like a truck. He wasn't drunk this time so he had no excuse for what they had done. Kihyun couldn't understand his own reactions. He should've told him to stop after the first time their lips touched. He had felt extremely embarrassed by the peck but then when Changkyun got closer to him for the second time something went terribly wrong. Kihyun definitely needed a new brain because this one clearly didn't work properly. Why on earth did he kiss him back? It made no sense. Maybe he just missed this kind of contact after such a long time when he couldn't move on after breaking up with Dasom? Maybe he had done it because he was thankful that someone finally distracted him from dwelling on the past with his ex? When he got a chance he just did it. It felt so natural at that particular moment and he somehow couldn't help it. He couldn't understand why he always did stupid things whenever he was alone with Changkyun. Like for example on that day before the concert, when out of the blue he thought that it was a good idea to the younger boy's hair, just because he suddenly looked so peaceful that the action seemed just right. Every time he recalled that moment he wanted to hide in his bed and never come out again. On that Saturday he had asked Changkyun to meet because he wanted them to become friends. After the concert, he realised that the younger male truly did work hard to be a better musician and suddenly all the prejudice that he had against him at the very beginning didn't matter anymore. That day he really did have a good time with him. He especially enjoyed the time when the younger one showed him his compositions. He learned a lot about hip hop and other things that he had never even thought about. He never heard about all the rappers who were Changkyun's inspiration because it didn't even bother him before but it really was fascinating. Not everything was about Chopin, Bach and Mozart. Kihyun could see that the ginger had a real passion and purpose in his life and it made him realise how wrong he judged him at first. But none of the reasons did explain why he let Changkyun kiss him and most importantly, why he even hugged him after that. Kihyun wasn't the only one surprised by what he did. He realised that he had done something very unexpected when the younger one initially froze in his arms. The pianist had a theory that probably, he just got carried away by all the emotions triggered by the kiss. Why did the kiss make him so vulnerable? Somehow he just couldn't help it when he noticed the way the ginger looked at him and how tenderly he treated him. He wanted to understand himself but he just couldn't. He made so many decisions on the spur of the moment and he was sure that it will get back at him at the most unexpected time. Kihyun could already tell that what he did was wrong because he knew that as a result, he will hurt Changkyun. The younger boy already had feelings for him and he couldn't change it. And the older boy just couldn't like him back because he was straight. He started to wonder whether there was anything that he could do to prevent the ginger from being hurt. He had been thinking about that a lot when he finally made a decision. The sooner he will tell him that he didn't feel the same for him, the better. He just had to find a way how to deliver the message in the most gentle way he could. Kihyun sat in the classroom trying to focus on the movie that the teacher played for them on the interactive whiteboard. They were told that they will be tested on it on the next week but still the senior just couldn't stop thinking how he should explain all of that to Changkyun.

~*~

Kihyun decided to do that during the lunch break because he wanted to make everything clear before anything would go wrong. He knew that he would meet Changkyun there because everyone always gathered in the canteen roughly at the same time. The friends with whom he was sitting there could see how nervous he was, but they assumed that he was just stressed out with the amount of work they had. That wouldn't be very weird considering that all of them already had enough of all the deadlines, tests and projects so no one commented on his state. Kihyun was looking around the room every five minutes in order not to miss out the moment when the younger one would enter the canteen. However, when there were only ten minutes of the break left he realised that the ginger may not show up at all. He felt something tighten

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter